Layoffs of safety forces in Garfield

Layoffs of safety forces in Garfield

Posted in the Garfield Heights Forum

Walter

Painesville, OH

#1 Sep 22, 2010
I just found out that Garfield has laid off police and fire fighters. How is that acceptable, considering the amount of crime that is going on in that city?? Garfield was named 2nd in violent crime just behind East Cleveland. Is that what we want our city to turn into??
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#2 Sep 22, 2010
Walter, I don't know where you got that information from about being second to East Cleveland, but my information (Cleveland Magazine--rating the suburbs issue) states that Maple is second behind East Cleveland. Hell...... we had three murders in August alone.
hello

Berea, OH

#3 Sep 23, 2010
its very scary in garfield hts these days kids are out of control parents dont care their doing the same things !!
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#4 Sep 23, 2010
Wow, they are cutting Garfield police. You mean they will not be sitting on Broadway waiting to right tickets? No more hiding out on Turney?

Sounds like the ones that are left will have to do more real work instead of raking in the dough for the city to waste.
Harold Jackson

Brunswick, OH

#5 Sep 23, 2010
I am still out of town but I hear that Maple is look to cut forces too where is our news paper?!
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#6 Sep 23, 2010
I don't know where Maple has room to cut. Frequently--especially during the weekends, they have to call neighboring suburb police to help out with the overload. Plus the fact that Maple already has 1/3 less police officers than Garfield.

This is what it comes down to when you have blind voters. I understand that Maple got rid of a few inspectors. Good for them. But they should have never doubled the building department in the first place.

The harassment of landlords is now coming to play. Landlords that cannot sell their property are not renting out their units any longer. This means less taxpaying citizens. It also means less activity in our business community. Add that to the tremendous waste in pools, schools and water parks, it's not a wonder why the city is broke.
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#7 Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, but weren't they cleaning up with that inspection racket?

I noticed in the last year I see less cruisers in Maple Heights just sitting around trying to get speeders. Must mean they are out actually patrolling and doing their jobs, unlike Garfield.

I used to hate seeing a cop car sitting around trying to catch speeders. There is no time for that in Maple Heights. NONE! Out of all the complaints we hear from residents, speeding on Broadway or Warrensville Center rd is never, ever on the list.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#8 Sep 24, 2010
Cops have to do something during slow times, and yes, we do have them. The police scanner usually heats up between 6 and 8:30 pm. From then on, it's anybody's guess how long it will be busy.

On Sundays when there really is little going on, the police grab a pile of warrants for residents who are running from the police. They send a couple of cops out; one to pound on the door, and another to go in the back and side of the house in the event the suspect tries to run out of the house. And like Garfield is trying to do with their speed cameras, they have to raise revenue somehow.
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#9 Sep 24, 2010
I know what they can do, drive around the city streets and let their presence be known. Screw revenue generation in a city with the robbery rate we have.

Police should represent our interests. Nobody is complaining about traffic. Robbery, assault, murder and theft are the problems. After they stop that, then they can sit around trying to rape our pockets.

I see Walton Hill and Valley View police sitting around constantly doing jack shat, but they can do that.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#10 Sep 24, 2010
Revenue generation is in every city be it a suburb or county town. They all do it. But you will never see the police taking radar at 8:30 on a friday night. Such active nights are dedicated to getting the bad guy. But the bad guys only come out at certain hours and days.

Walton Hills and Valley View can take radar on a friday night because there's not much else going on. Unlike here, nobody is robbing their pizza places or having gang fights in the middle of a main street.

As I stated in the Red Light topic, it's not all that rare for a cop to pull somebody over for something stupid, and find out they have more serious issues either here or somewhere else. Let's face it, a cop is only good after a crime has been committed. The only way they can be proactive is to do such traffic stops. It may be inconvenient, but so is having your car stolen.
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#11 Sep 24, 2010
I understand, but pulling over a law abiding citizen for bullshat and THEN giving them a $100 plus ticket is just a slap in the face in a city like Maple Heights. I can see if they do that to people that don't live here, but don't pull over a tax payer who can't even walk some of these streets and slap them with a silly ticket.

Generate revenue on the outsiders. I think you see my point, I understand revenue must be generated, but we pay enough for not enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
neighbor from hell (Aug '14) Apr 19 Independence17 7
Noise ordinance (Jul '15) Apr 19 Independence17 9
News Feds Claim Biggest Heroin Bust in Ohio (Sep '10) Apr 13 Tina 33
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Apr 10 BMB 1,147
News Video of Ohio man's overdose behind the wheel g... Apr 7 skyhawk53 1
Hands Up Dont Shoot (Aug '14) Mar 27 South side 10
Challenge Anyone? Mar '17 Mahmoo Flaps 2

Garfield Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance