Ban on Ticketing Traffic Cameras Up t...

Ban on Ticketing Traffic Cameras Up to Voters

There are 139 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Aug 3, 2010, titled Ban on Ticketing Traffic Cameras Up to Voters. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

Voters will decide whether to ban traffic cameras after enough signatures were gathered to put the issue on the November ballot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Cleveland-West_S ide

Erie, PA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
Wonder how the vote is gonna come out on this one?
emtman43

Chicago, IL

#2 Aug 4, 2010
I live in Slavic Village I was sent a picture of myself in excesss by 11mph and fined around $100. Ok I took my lumps, near my house is a used car lot that is run by some guys that ride ATV's on the vacant lot near me anf in the street. When I told CPD I had clear photographs they told me they couldn't use pictures. It turns out "They" have to witness the infractions before action can be taken. Does this mean I get a $100 refund on my Traffic Camera Ticket because "They" didn't personally witness my infraction? How about it CPD?
jerry

North Olmsted, OH

#3 Aug 4, 2010
Maybe we should have cameras in all of the Cuyahoga County offices (and all the municipal offices, too) to keep an eye on the real offenders of the law. Then maybe we'll find out how the "public servants" have been fleecing us for their own benefit. How about a few at the donut shops and coffee shops, too?

Since: Dec 09

United States

#4 Aug 4, 2010
If these cameras are voted down, do we really believe that Garfield Heights won't just implement another way to replace this money. At least this method targets only speeders. Don't speed, don't pay.
bob

United States

#5 Aug 4, 2010
emtman43 wrote:
I live in Slavic Village I was sent a picture of myself in excesss by 11mph and fined around $100. Ok I took my lumps, near my house is a used car lot that is run by some guys that ride ATV's on the vacant lot near me anf in the street. When I told CPD I had clear photographs they told me they couldn't use pictures. It turns out "They" have to witness the infractions before action can be taken. Does this mean I get a $100 refund on my Traffic Camera Ticket because "They" didn't personally witness my infraction? How about it CPD?
Very well put, but I don't think CPD reads this blog. Any citizen can go to court and sign charges against another person and you don't need an attorney. Or you could get a roofing company to dump their old nails in the field.:-)
Deal with it

Mentor, OH

#6 Aug 4, 2010
Seams likes thers 2,500 speeders in Garfeild. Would you rather get pulled by a cop or 2 for speeding where everyone can see you, or get it in the mail and no one knows about it????? Maybe if people would slow down the city wouldn't have to do this!
bob

United States

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Without this type of enforcement would any of us drive the speed limit? I certainly would not because the posted speed limit is too slow it is established for the morons and people who know how to drive and have some amount of coordination must obey it. Got to have 'em! In garfield hts. their paying the tickets with my money they got from bama anyhow...just a round about way to get my tax dollars to another city.
Meters

Norwalk, OH

#8 Aug 4, 2010
pistoff wrote:
If these cameras are voted down, do we really believe that Garfield Heights won't just implement another way to replace this money. At least this method targets only speeders. Don't speed, don't pay.
Maybe balancing the budget, I know if I dont have enough money to pay my bills, I will have to either not pay or make more. I do not go out and sneak around to people's houses, mess up their network then send them a letter telling them I can fix it for a price. That sounds like a crime because it is.
Also, what ever happened to the old entrapment laws, the ones where cops can't sit behind billboards and have to be visible from 100 Feet away. I hope I never get one of these, because my demand for discovery letter to the local municipal government will include the source code of the cameras for accuracy.
Also (yes there is more) what about the Constitution, it says you have the right to a fair trail, but these cases never see a judge, even though you are accused of breaking a law...

In short, I hope this is voted down, or I may just have to get a car that says speed trap ahead and follow that thing around on the weekend, but I am sure the over zealous police there would say it undermines their tactics.
Sherrie

Westlake, OH

#9 Aug 4, 2010
I had the opportunity to drive behind Mr. Wagner last Tuesday morning at 8:40 am from his home all the way to the 480 271 split and it was very apparent why he is opposing the traffic cameras. He never once drove the speed limit and even ignored the reduced speed due to the construction on the Granger rd bridge putting construction workers in danger. Im sure he has or will be recieving several tickets for his speed, I just wish a officer could have witnessed his lack of respect for the posted speed limits last Tuesday morning. He lives very close to my home and holds his petition signing drives at the corner of my street and on his way to those signing events he and his girls fly by my home doing at least 35 in a 25 mph side street littered with children. DO NOT SPPED ON MY STREETS IN MY TOWN AND RISK MY FAMILIES SAFETY is what I have to say to all in opposition of the traffic cameras. WAKE UP GARFIELD HEIGHTS!!!!!
bob

Akron, OH

#10 Aug 4, 2010
bob wrote:
Without this type of enforcement would any of us drive the speed limit? I certainly would not because the posted speed limit is too slow it is established for the morons and people who know how to drive and have some amount of coordination must obey it. Got to have 'em! In garfield hts. their paying the tickets with my money they got from bama anyhow...just a round about way to get my tax dollars to another city.
Other "bob" I agree with you. Plus I think the cops should get off their lazy behinds and actually continue to pull people over like they should. Before everyone starts the comments about me bashing cops, I'm not. I served in the military. Trust me I'm all about the law and public service but come on this is ridiculous. If you speed and get a ticket just pay it. Life goes on. No big deal.
Meters

Norwalk, OH

#11 Aug 4, 2010
Sherrie wrote:
I had the opportunity to drive behind Mr. Wagner last Tuesday morning at 8:40 am from his home all the way to the 480 271 split and it was very apparent why he is opposing the traffic cameras. He never once drove the speed limit and even ignored the reduced speed due to the construction on the Granger rd bridge putting construction workers in danger. Im sure he has or will be recieving several tickets for his speed, I just wish a officer could have witnessed his lack of respect for the posted speed limits last Tuesday morning. He lives very close to my home and holds his petition signing drives at the corner of my street and on his way to those signing events he and his girls fly by my home doing at least 35 in a 25 mph side street littered with children. DO NOT SPPED ON MY STREETS IN MY TOWN AND RISK MY FAMILIES SAFETY is what I have to say to all in opposition of the traffic cameras. WAKE UP GARFIELD HEIGHTS!!!!!
I am sure your sign does something.... not.

How about going out in the street and doing something about it, stop being passive aggressive.
Sherrie

Westlake, OH

#12 Aug 4, 2010
Meters wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure your sign does something.... not.
How about going out in the street and doing something about it, stop being passive aggressive.
We are out in the street doing something about it what do you think the traffic cameras are for!!!!
Kook

Cleveland, OH

#13 Aug 4, 2010
That petition is also for the BILL of GARBAGE removal they are shoving down the throats of residents, Due to Methane Mountain being a BIG WASTE OF MONEY with ALL those EMPTY STORES and all the money spent FOR NOTHING except for Building GARBAGE SHELLS on top of GARBAGE!!
Way to go GAR-FKED Heights! So Embarrassed to live there CANT WAIT TO MOVE!!
PISSED OFF

Cleveland, OH

#14 Aug 4, 2010
I got two tickets from Garfield for $100 each- they were a couple of minutes apart- so how do they hit me with two. They are full of crap & I hope they community votes & gets rid of these cameras!
SICK OF IT

Cleveland, OH

#15 Aug 4, 2010
I really hope so!
Waaaaaa

Cleveland, OH

#16 Aug 4, 2010
Sherrie wrote:
<quoted text>
We are out in the street doing something about it what do you think the traffic cameras are for!!!!
Sherrie...you are 100% right however these people don't understand the whole picture....Can they spell receivorship? Property values = "0"...waaaaaa I want to break the law and I don't want any ticket....I want real police...I want this ... I want that....Hey if you don't want a ticket don't speed....you now get 10 miles over the limit (except in schools) and NO POINTS. Oh but most importantly you get revenue which would have directed this city out of the red....but no instead we have Mr. DO NOTHING Wagner who constantly stirs up the pot....when asked why did he vote FOR the cameras when he was on council...guess what...he lied...when asked what is his idea for making money for the city with this revenue is taken away.....Surprise no answer...you know what....I hope all the people in the City realize this camera idea administrated by the last Mayor and court would at least given you an option ...don't want to pay..don't speed....as opposed to a tax increase which leaves you no choice.
Tony

Moline, IL

#17 Aug 4, 2010
If these cameras were actually about safety than I would be all for them, but the fact that when you get one of these tickets and it never goes on your driving records and does not affect your insurance rates than it is blatantly obvious that these are nothing more than a money making ploy schemed up by the new mayor of Garfield Hts. This is the same mayor that just rose our property taxes again (app $3200.00 per yr now), imposed a quarterly fee of $45.00 just to have our garbage picked up, and is being sued by the police because of all of the cuts he has made to their salaries and benefits. Aren't you glad you got that change you were looking for Garfield Hts?? What a crook this guy is.
Facts

Cleveland, OH

#18 Aug 4, 2010
Tony wrote:
If these cameras were actually about safety than I would be all for them, but the fact that when you get one of these tickets and it never goes on your driving records and does not affect your insurance rates than it is blatantly obvious that these are nothing more than a money making ploy schemed up by the new mayor of Garfield Hts. This is the same mayor that just rose our property taxes again (app $3200.00 per yr now), imposed a quarterly fee of $45.00 just to have our garbage picked up, and is being sued by the police because of all of the cuts he has made to their salaries and benefits. Aren't you glad you got that change you were looking for Garfield Hts?? What a crook this guy is.
It is for making money....Wow you must be watching CCN Breaking news..CAN YOU SPELL RECEIVORSHIP.....NO NOT THE NEW MAYOR THE OLD MAYOR AND HIS COUNCIL VOTED THEM IN....All cities are turning to that eventually....can you spell ECONOMIC PROBLEMS everywhere????? Please Mr. Frank supporter do not confuse the facts...the OLD REGIME ALSO VOTED IN THE REFUSE CHARGE. The new mayor has been in what 7 months? Get the facts before you cry like Frankie always does....who also cannot hold a job in his personal life...DON'T SPEED and quit whining.
What did you say

Cleveland, OH

#19 Aug 4, 2010
Tony wrote:
If these cameras were actually about safety than I would be all for them, but the fact that when you get one of these tickets and it never goes on your driving records and does not affect your insurance rates than it is blatantly obvious that these are nothing more than a money making ploy schemed up by the new mayor of Garfield Hts. This is the same mayor that just rose our property taxes again (app $3200.00 per yr now), imposed a quarterly fee of $45.00 just to have our garbage picked up, and is being sued by the police because of all of the cuts he has made to their salaries and benefits. Aren't you glad you got that change you were looking for Garfield Hts?? What a crook this guy is.
Tony you can't be serious....you get to speed (I think it is under 11 miles) and have no points on your license and it helps the city you live in...what did you say you had a problem with? Next time you speed and the cop stops you for under 10 miles over the speed limit....tell him to give you a break...you were only going ten miles over the speed limit....Ha...that's a good one....
Sherrie

Westlake, OH

#20 Aug 4, 2010
Sure it is for revenue but I also believe that it IS meant to help clean up OUR streets. I will feel much safer knowing that when I drive down Turney Rd. people aren't flying pass us at 38- to 50 MPH which happened on a daily bases when there where no cameras. Once again DON'T SPEED DOWN MY STREETS!!! Now we need to organize a keep the cameras team to blow Wagner out of the water. Maybe park the SUV right next to his house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuyahoga Amateur Radio Society S U C K S (Jul '14) Aug 4 kiowi 9
N8TCP, reports. (Nov '15) Aug 2 kiowi 3
News 10-Year-Old Girl Dies After Falling in Tinkers ... (Mar '10) Jul '16 Teddy 6
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Jul '16 jimgrnt1 1,140
News U.S. cop on recent shootings: 'How dare you sta... Jul '16 Donald Trump is a... 2
News French Art Colony doles out numerous art honors - Jul '16 Big Johnson 1
GARFIELD HEIGHTS: 15-year-old shot in church pa... (Mar '14) Jun '16 I Am Papoose 16

Garfield Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages