BWC employee abused state computers, ...

BWC employee abused state computers, report finds | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 57 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 16, 2010, titled BWC employee abused state computers, report finds | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A state Bureau of Workers' Compensation employee spent hours each day on the job tapping into state computers, working on tax schemes and writing "bogus money orders," an investigation has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Red Green

United States

#44 Dec 16, 2010
The guy obviously is off his rocker. He went nuts from working at a boring dead-end job at BWC for 40 years.

I mean look at the evidence:

"including one he sent to the U.S. Treasury seeking a $300 million bond to be deposited into an account "to eliminate his future personal debt.""

cuckoo cuckoo!
Mark Ears

United States

#45 Dec 16, 2010
When Congress does it, they call it "earmarks"
Danno From Powell

Columbus, OH

#46 Dec 16, 2010
Crock of crap wrote:
If found guilty: Just cut his hands off and gouge his eyes out so he can't operate the keyboard or see a computer monitor ever again.
Hell yeah that's exactly what needs to happen, right after the crooked sheriff deputies in Greene & Fayette County are taken care of. Just as the police chief in Jamestown is provided the same treatment while he turns his head to his friends who are running drugs and some of those engaging in that behavior are Jehovah Witnesses.

You get that mess cleaned up then we can provide that punishment for that BWC employee. While I don't agree his behavior is good or legal the time is long past due for those who benefit from that illegal activity are given their day or reckoning as well.
Red Dragon Hawk

Dublin, OH

#47 Dec 17, 2010
paid administrative leave from his $53,000-a-year job

MUST BE NICE!!
olaf

Columbus, OH

#48 Dec 17, 2010
DEATH TO THE 3C wrote:
My favorite Strickfiend scoundrel was Many Bishop, lead planner of the 3C boondoggle.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_ne...
Look at the puss on her...
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/teninvestiga...
4 more weeks to see what more rats crawl out from and what they have been up to.
REpublicans have been just as sleezy. This problem is not limited to politcal color.
glenx

Columbus, OH

#49 Dec 17, 2010
I havn't tqapped into my personal financial account yet ,I declaired bankruptcy thus saving the money in my account..
Deushpatch reporter

Columbus, OH

#50 Dec 17, 2010
WELL FOR YOUR INFO IDIOTS HE WAS NOT A union employee.He worked for the private company that contracted BWC claims review from the state.

As usual the DEUSHPATCH gives half a story.No wonder they will be gone in a couple years.
Anonymous

Roundhead, OH

#51 Dec 17, 2010
bwc is a joke!people who need the help dont get it and people who fake it does.the price comp. has to pay is out rages in some cases. more goverment works like this only proves,goverments STINKS
Amazed

Columbus, OH

#52 Dec 17, 2010
and these actions get passed onto businesses - via paying higher premiums BWC like Welfare is a scam and a racquet it self!
BWC Unsure

Nashport, OH

#53 Dec 17, 2010
- Gooch hooked up a personal computer storage device to gather information from state computers.

- He used the information to create fake documents, including one he sent to the U.S. Treasury seeking a $300 million bond to be deposited into an account "to eliminate his future personal debt."

- Gooch also "created bogus money orders, one of which he sent to an attorney performing collections services for a credit card company," investigators found. He used BWC printers to print 4,000 pages of records "related to these schemes."

- BWC spokeswoman Maria Smith said the agency is considering the next step.

- Maria Smith said: "We believe Mr. Gooch may have violated a number of BWC policies and statutes,"

He "may have violated a number of BWC policies and statutes". Seriously now! Do you really think so?
Mark

Reynoldsburg, OH

#54 Dec 17, 2010
LOL, paid leave? OM..G
ABC

Canal Winchester, OH

#55 Dec 17, 2010
Tim wrote:
Yes ABC unfortunatly he is still our governor. This is the very reason that a law should be on the book requiring an office holder to leave when they lose an election. No lame duck crap just go, let the new person take over. Look at the crap that goes on in congress with this lame duck session. Look at Strickland he appoints his friend and fellow democrat to the state supreme court. When you lose an election you should go home within a week.
Just a guess you would have been OK with Bush and Taft out the door swiftly as well? Or just a rule for democrats?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#56 Dec 17, 2010
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of the problem may also have to do with understaffing. Tell me that you've had better luck getting into the claims system of any private insurance company doing workers' compensation, please.
Technically, they're not spending your tax dollars. BWC is, in effect, a state-run insurance company, running from a fund that is built from premiums charged to employers, so it's not run from taxes. And, you have my sympathy for your injuries but, unless you're gaming the system and are not really disabled, what taxes are you paying anyway?
No - the BWC is full of people. Go over to the main office someday - a whole darn building full of them. Top to bottom. And try to get someone to help you. They act like you have inconvenienced them beyond reason.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#57 Dec 17, 2010
Deushpatch reporter wrote:
WELL FOR YOUR INFO IDIOTS HE WAS NOT A union employee.He worked for the private company that contracted BWC claims review from the state.
As usual the DEUSHPATCH gives half a story.No wonder they will be gone in a couple years.
If you really want to insult someone or something, please spell your offensive language correctly.
Davey Chappelle

Portsmouth, OH

#58 Dec 17, 2010
Please dave go back. Go back to your drug induced comas. You were so much more intelligent then.
hmmm

Mount Gilead, OH

#60 Dec 18, 2010
From inside BWC wrote:
This is more evidence that the Strickland administration made a huge mistake in not cleaning house when they took over BWC. They had every reason to, after the scandals the agency had experienced.
But too many of the people who either were involved in the scandals, or knew what was going on and remained silent, were left in place by the Strickland administration. Some were even promoted.
With such a poor quality of people in the BWC management, it's not surprising that the lower level employees behave badly too. Kasich needs to do the housecleaning that Strickland failed to do at BWC.
This is the same scenario at ODPS.
Lefty

United States

#61 Dec 20, 2010
tob wrote:
How long did this go on?
Why did no supervisor notice and intercede?
Why is he placed on paid leave which is really a paid vacation?
Tax money down the drain again...
Read the Inspector General's report. Based on that it appears that the BWC initiated the investigation and referred their info to the Inspector General's office. It took from 1/20/10 till now to finish their investigation. Hopefully this employee will get what he deserves!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atlantic mills department store (May '15) Mar 30 Dave 6
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Mar 29 BMB 1,167
News Ohio.com - Four cases 20 years cold (Aug '07) Feb '18 Florida Georgia Line 49
News 5 people stabbed this morning at Cleveland nigh... (Aug '12) Feb '18 Logic 4
K8ZFR, C.A.R.S. Hunk Nomination. (Sep '15) Jan '18 UhOHYEAH 6
News Garfield Heights bans pit bulls (Oct '07) Jan '18 LUVMYEMPRESS 14
News Troubles with neighborhood, teacher and money c... Jan '18 lol 1

Garfield Heights Jobs

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages