Pine Grove Furnace State Park named S...

Pine Grove Furnace State Park named State Park of the Year

There are 5 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 31, 2011, titled Pine Grove Furnace State Park named State Park of the Year. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Thursday, March 31, 2011 -- Pine Grove Furnace State Park has been named the Pennsylvania State Park of the Year for 2010 by the Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Geez

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2011
Kudos to Pine Grove Furnace - beautiful park!

Well, it sure as heck wasn't going to be Caledonia! Does the person running that park know what he's doing?! Why don't you drop a few more trees and not clean them up? Why don't you waste more money on limestone that washes away year after year only to be replaced with more limestone year after year? Why don't you let your equipment operators damage more trees as they slam their equipment into them? Why don't you damage more walking paths and, instead of putting down a walking- and plant-friendly surface like wood chips, put down limestone? It's a forest with acid-loving plants for Pete's sake. Oh, and let's not clean out the stream below the little dam so it doesn't flood anymore. Ridiculous.
Eileen

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2011
Geez wrote:
Kudos to Pine Grove Furnace - beautiful park!
Well, it sure as heck wasn't going to be Caledonia! Does the person running that park know what he's doing?! Why don't you drop a few more trees and not clean them up? Why don't you waste more money on limestone that washes away year after year only to be replaced with more limestone year after year? Why don't you let your equipment operators damage more trees as they slam their equipment into them? Why don't you damage more walking paths and, instead of putting down a walking- and plant-friendly surface like wood chips, put down limestone? It's a forest with acid-loving plants for Pete's sake. Oh, and let's not clean out the stream below the little dam so it doesn't flood anymore. Ridiculous.
I do agree with you. This is the worst that I have ever seen this park. My grandfather was a forest ranger there for 50 yrs. and always took pride in his work and the park. Back in those days it was good ole physical labor that kept the park in excellent condition. I still like going there even though it is not like it used to be.
They did put wood chips on the lower trails and it was really nice to walk on. Now with all of the flooding in the lower areas, some of the trails need to have more mulch.
I say, bring out the prison gang and make them useful.
country girl

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Apr 1, 2011
I agree totally with both of you...Instead of the inmates beating on the officers let them out there to clean up America.....
Sawitcoming

Mays Landing, NJ

#4 Apr 1, 2011
I loved going to Caledonia & Cowans Gap when I was young but they are both so overcrowded now. Have to check out Pine Grove.
rvdoc

Hershey, PA

#5 Apr 1, 2011
Nice job P.G.F. Too bad the camping area is not open all year as it was before. At least you could open in March for gosh sakes. Why only April? As long as it would be posted....."Bathrooms closed for the winter" those with rv's could still camp during the off season and generate money for the park. Think about it Josh!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman accused of animal cruelty, danes, goats a... Jan 19 Pink Eye 7
News PA Lottery Powerball Ticket Worth $100,000 Sold... Dec 30 Saddam 6
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec 29 Generation Wuss 4
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Dec '16 Philly Landlord 91
News Biglerville man caught stealing woman's underwe... (Jul '15) Sep '16 Panty Sniffer 6
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug '16 honest3tax2collec... 1
News Gardners murder case set for June trial term (Apr '11) Apr '13 Blondeyblue 5

Gardners Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gardners Mortgages