License not renewed for York Springs nursing home

Full story: Evening Sun

The Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare has not renewed the license for a York Springs nursing home for alleged violations that include rodent feces, expired medications and not evacuating all residents during a fire drill.
Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MJ57Jam

Newburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

DPW only closes down the worst of the worst nursing homes and assisted living facilities. I know that family members of Whispering Pines residents have complained to the Adams County Office for Aging in the past about conditions at this Home as well as about Mr.Harris' ideas about how residents should be treated. The local Aging Office is charged with protecting our frail elderly in this community. Where have they been while all of this neglect & apathy was going on? They are supposed to investigate & visit these places as advocates for our elderly citizens. If you want to live in filth in your own home or eat jello & stale bread that is your own business, but to provide this type of environment for people who are PAYING to live there & who in many cases have no one to speak up for them should be a crime. In places like Whispering Pines, warehousing of the elderly who raised generations of the people who are now leading this community & others is a tragedy.
YS RESIDENT

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

With the Harris's behind this facility, why would it not be believed that it is a shady operations. There attitude in trying to run the "boro", if you don't like it SUE! I've been taught what goes around will come around, maybe this is their comeback to lose their business. It's the patients and staff though that will suffer. It could be a nice place "if the owners cared about anybody but themselves".
penpal

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

MJ57Jam wrote:
DPW only closes down the worst of the worst nursing homes and assisted living facilities. I know that family members of Whispering Pines residents have complained to the Adams County Office for Aging in the past about conditions at this Home as well as about Mr.Harris' ideas about how residents should be treated. The local Aging Office is charged with protecting our frail elderly in this community. Where have they been while all of this neglect & apathy was going on? They are supposed to investigate & visit these places as advocates for our elderly citizens. If you want to live in filth in your own home or eat jello & stale bread that is your own business, but to provide this type of environment for people who are PAYING to live there & who in many cases have no one to speak up for them should be a crime. In places like Whispering Pines, warehousing of the elderly who raised generations of the people who are now leading this community & others is a tragedy.
Mr. Gary Nichols, back when you were friends with Harrises and they treated you like a father and you walked "that mail order bride down the aisle", you defended Whispering Pines and you said it was a wonderful place to live. What has happened? Oh, I forgot...The mail order bride was one of the council members who didn't approve of your dictatorship and overblown ego. By the way, does your pond look good(the one you dug out with Harris' equipment)? Who is going to take you out and give you a gift for Father's day next week? Harris and his mail order bride used to do that every year until you showed them what you were really like. Hopefully everybody else will realize soon that you are a two-faced man! You used to call Gary Smith and Bob Mogonnel "uneducated rednecks" and now they are your best friends? All Shull, Noel Potter and Ike Williams used to be "stupid old farts" according to you, but now they are the most wonderful people on the planet? Come on, Gary, it is pathetic....You know that Whispering Pines is a nice place, you've seen it! Agency of Aging ALWAYS defend Whispering Pines and send people their way. They wiouldn't do that if the place was a dump. So stop making up stories. Go online and check out personal care home violation reports, all facilities have violations! Should they all be shut down? Who is going to take care of our elderly? People around here don't want to, they refuse to step up to the plate and take care of their family members. That's why we have so many assisted living facilities....
ys resident

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Harris's don't sue the borough anymore, we have a new "celebrity" - Gary Nichols! He is the one filing lawsuits against the Borough now!
penpal

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

I it easy to make false accusations about Whispering Pines being a filthy place and residents eating stale bread and jello. Why don't you people stop by for a tour and have lunch there and you can make your own conclusions instead of listening to ridiculous rumours!
concerned citizens

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2009

Two residents of Whispering Pines were from my family. We were very pleased with the care and loving concern they received while living there.
There is a big difference in DPW regulations between nursing homes and assisted living or personal care homes. We love these residents and aspire to giving them joy, comfort and spiritual inspiration whenever we are visiting in the area.The staff have been very caring and we've eaten meals with the residents there.
Concern about lifesafety

Landisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2009

As with many topics, there are always 2 sides of the story. I have been to this Assited Living facility on many occasions. Sometimes is has been OK and other times a mess. Lately, it has been a mess.
I am shocked the DPW lets all the equipment sit outside. It is a hazard for this type of facility. Residents come and go all the time.
If you have never been inside the facility and scene the care, one should not comment. First Aid training is not much, but some attendants do not have it.
Facilities need to be held to their standards or g out of business. Wish Whispering Pines either improves or goes out. Either way, it is better than what we have today.
citizen

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

TPC wrote:
This facility is NOT a Nursing Home, it is an Assisted Living Home, there is a big difference. Before we make the quick judgemnet to "close it down", remember there are people living there who call it their HOME. The problems should be fixed and taken care of now, not just closed now!
This is not something new to the Harris', they're being shut down because of the multiple, ongoing infractions...It doesn't matter if its assisted living or not..the current tenants are not and will not be taken care of..I do agree in bringing in new competant owners as long as the Two retards leave town.
citizen

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

Ema wrote:
Whispering Pines is not the only home with violations. Every single personal care home has them. Go to DPW website and take a look: http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/Resources/Document...
For example, Brethren Home has numerous fire safety violations, including not evacuating numerous residents during every fire drill they conducted, medication violations, etc. Green Acres facility has mice, toilets full of feces, untrained staff, etc. These homes operate under full license. DPW isn't trying to shut them down because they are bigger homes and they would have to find new home for all those residents. Unfortunately, you can't watch and control your emloyees' every step, they make mistakes. All you can do is correct violations and take steps to try to prevent future violations.
Ema you've missed the bus like the Harris', this is not just about small infractions. Phil Harris does not properly feed his tenants, phil has no certified Dietician or registered nurse on staff other then himself..Please, no comparison to other facilities who act in good faith and have good intentions. This facility was meant only to be a money maker for Phil harris..ITS a junk yard!!!!!
citizen

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

penpal wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Gary Nichols, back when you were friends with Harrises and they treated you like a father and you walked "that mail order bride down the aisle", you defended Whispering Pines and you said it was a wonderful place to live. What has happened? Oh, I forgot...The mail order bride was one of the council members who didn't approve of your dictatorship and overblown ego. By the way, does your pond look good(the one you dug out with Harris' equipment)? Who is going to take you out and give you a gift for Father's day next week? Harris and his mail order bride used to do that every year until you showed them what you were really like. Hopefully everybody else will realize soon that you are a two-faced man! You used to call Gary Smith and Bob Mogonnel "uneducated rednecks" and now they are your best friends? All Shull, Noel Potter and Ike Williams used to be "stupid old farts" according to you, but now they are the most wonderful people on the planet? Come on, Gary, it is pathetic....You know that Whispering Pines is a nice place, you've seen it! Agency of Aging ALWAYS defend Whispering Pines and send people their way. They wiouldn't do that if the place was a dump. So stop making up stories. Go online and check out personal care home violation reports, all facilities have violations! Should they all be shut down? Who is going to take care of our elderly? People around here don't want to, they refuse to step up to the plate and take care of their family members. That's why we have so many assisted living facilities....
PENPAL, you have some major medical issues to say the least. Seems like you live off the avails of the gov't or state money (not working) to be following Mr Nichols every step of the way or is it just that you emulate him so much. To bring up meaningless and moot points that have absolutely nothing to do with this posted issues makes you a pathetic individual to say the least. Stay on track son!!! you might learn that following others and not leading, causes your smoked judgement!!!!
citizen

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

So Phil, the house across the street that sits empty, You know, the one you took over as P.O.A for the lady in your warehouse whom you promised to take care of in lieu of having her sign off on the deed as payment. So now that your closing down are there any clauses or provisions in the agreement that she gets her home back now that she has to leavee and get better treatment and live elsewhere or did you snake your way through this one too????
citizen

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

Wow Phil what dilemma do you tackle first. Non payment of taxes, losing and appealing your license to operate, paying off staggering debt to the multiple banks, clean up junk yard, file bankruptcy or just sit back and blame your employees for it all. Keep in mind, your bride is already blaming others for this end result, but she fails to accept any responsibility as Presidentee'. Wow you taught her well...like the MAN said, goes around comes around!
york springs is home

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

I have recently been to Whispering Pines, it is a nice place, the residents are looving people that call this home. What I believe should be done is this, get rid of the Harris bunch and get someone that can run this place with Love and Respect for the people that live and work there. That is the whole problem, he is not paying the people that work there enough, he does not care about the people that live there nor their families, all he cares about is himself. and I dont even know him ,,I have only spoke with him for 5 minutes and knew right away he is an arrogant ass. if I could afford to buy this place I would and man would things change. Get rid of him,,not close the home!!!
MJ57Jam

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2009

citizen wrote:
Wow Phil what dilemma do you tackle first. Non payment of taxes, losing and appealing your license to operate, paying off staggering debt to the multiple banks, clean up junk yard, file bankruptcy or just sit back and blame your employees for it all. Keep in mind, your bride is already blaming others for this end result, but she fails to accept any responsibility as Presidentee'. Wow you taught her well...like the MAN said, goes around comes around!
Run, Run Phil. Get outta the country......maybe go to Russia?
russian mail bride

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

I love you harris!!! dont give up!!!!!!!!:)
Julia Harris

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2009

Ignorance is bliss...
Mr. Nichols, it amazes me that you have nothing esle to do other than making comments on this website.
Making comments on my behalf, calling me a Russian mail bride, etc.- how childish... Making up stories about houses across the street, stale bread and jello, making accusations regarding alleged abuse of the residents, saying my husband tried to kill me with a pillow in front of Whispering Pines, calling us two retards is pathetic.
You can call me a retard all day long, but unlike you I do not make several spelling mistakes in each word. And I was born and raised in Russia!
I suggest Mr. Nichols, you do a better research, we are not required to have a certified dietician and registered nurses as staff members. Residents and family members of the residents thank us every day for doing a good job. The facility is a money maker for Phil Harris? Wow, nothing can be further from the truth...We live in a small apartment in the facility and drive crappy cars...We've had several residents at Whispering Pines who didn't pay their bills for years and kept getting food and services for free because their family members had financial issues or just didn't feel like paying their bills. Phil never kicked anybody out because he is a nice guy, he just kept taking care of them with no compensation. Shame on you, Mr. Nichols. You know the facts, but choose to lie just because your feelings are hurt. You are such a little boy.
Opal

Johnstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2009

Does it matter to anyone of you, that there are biggier problems in yorksprings then Phil Harris or his wife? What have any of you done to improve the quailty of life for any resident of yorksprings? You sit by and watch the town decay, and do nothing to prevent it. You sit idle while your home values decline thanks to your great local reality companies renters, as your feilds and quality water supplies are being polluted by area mechanics. But yes your right, phil harris and his mail order bride, Who brought jobs to your community that others destroyed. And quite frankly he has very right to blame the employees for there fouls in the situation because obviously they didn't care enough to clean or do the things they were payed to do. As a business owner, you deligate tasks it's your first lesson and if those knew of short comings in that system you also failed by not bringing them to the attention of the owner. I hope phil and julia leave town and let the great ctizens of yorksprings to clean up there own little feista
davo

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

ypo
The Smart One

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

So let me get this straight: If you somehow fail at running a business, your own business at that, then you are foresaken and expected to leave a town? Sounds like a new breed of Nazi-ism to me.
At the same time, Jeffrey Shull failed the townspeople and cost them their police force. Should he and his family not be expected to leave town with their heads hung low? In the Hitleresque type thinking that I have read here... absolutely they should, perhaps even more than the Harris family since he (Shull) cost the people absolute protection. We all know that the State Police Troop H Gettysburg aren't worth anything except writing a traffic ticket or just speeding through our towns, let alone conducting an actual investigation or doing diligent and actual police work, right?
On a similar note, should the town Council not be run out of town in shame for standing idly by as the local bank has now been robbed three times in only a few years? I would surmise that most of the loudmouths that comment here are either Council or close friends of theirs, maybe even related as it seems that this town is so inbread that y'all just can't stand that someone from another family has moved there. Just like the fire brigade seems as if it were directed to not eat at Rocco's since he's just a "WOP." Just like the mexicans somehow get blamed in every story that emerges from YS.
I get so flipping amused when a townspeople brands itself with a swastika under the color of the US Flag. Rather than leave that town in shame, why don't all you loud-mouthed-opinionated-idiot s just leave my Country all together... NOW!!!!!
Reflecting on the reports in the paper regarding this PCH it does seem as if the DPW were a little overzealous in their actions which gives me grave concern over their capabilities to inspect properly and without bias, as the case may be here where rhetoric has emerged that the town's Council had a large hand in it, and without any rights under law to do so.
The long and short of it... I am glad that I don't live in that town where it is well proven in every story with a York Springs headline, you all emerge with slanderous statements far from actual truths. Frankly, it seems as if it is just the same ole bitter, even jealous, lumps of existance that emerge on this page. The Evening Sun/ Topix should ban the practice of letting people post with aliases. No real intelligence comes from allowing this, insofar that it really just harbors the thug mentality that constantly emerges from YS and the like.
PS - Hey Nichols, why are you running from that town, did you finally meet your match in doing illegal things? Is there a better market in Florida for all your Nazi memorbilia? Hey, I'll give you six dollars for your house since that's all property is really worth in that decrepid town. It's a shame that even a person with a military background couldn't take care of business there, eh Nichols? Guess you should've shacked up with Swales and you could've had an actual voice in things rather than just being used by the rest of the politically unintelligent lifeforms there eh? Oh well, you would've just caused a war with your ideology of a policeforce/ police state in that town anyway. Can I help you carry boxes to Florida? I just want to get you closer to someplace like Cuba where you would feel right at home, being Authoritarian/Communist and all.
Concerned Niece

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

The biggest question I have here to ask is why didn't the residents get their security deposits back? My Aunt is due her security deposit for both her and my deceased Uncle. Did any other residents have this problem? We are still in touch with a lawyer to get it back.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gardners Discussions

Search the Gardners Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
Asper man sentenced in Adams County burglary case Jul 19 Steve Gratman 1
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Jul 19 Teflon Don 28
Police: Two arrested after more than 60 injurie... (Mar '13) Jul 13 Steve Gratman 49
Former Carroll Valley officer charged with corr... Jul 13 Steve Gratman 10
York County man accused of assaulting 7-year-ol... Jun '14 Anonymous 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Gardners Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gardners People Search