License not renewed for York Springs nursing home

Full story: Evening Sun

The Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare has not renewed the license for a York Springs nursing home for alleged violations that include rodent feces, expired medications and not evacuating all residents during a fire drill.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
citizen

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

I guess i need some clarification here.. Was the DPW inspecting the assisted living facility or the junk yard on the property????? Please, this company has no stock holders, it's the russian bride and a phillip harris on the books as owners...The Harris' spend more time playing attorneys, suing the borough then cleaning up the facility..The residents live in poor conditions there and having a cook give their meds out is absolutely pathetic.. They have no dietician or RN's on staff.... they harris' lack sensitivity in the matter and the tenant's lose out...
scott

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Why is it, that where ever there is problems in York Springs, there is most always a Harris involved?
mia

Beach Haven, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

close it
TWS

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

With many of us having older members of our families in facilities such as this one we should all be involved in some form or fashion in making sure these "homes" are up to code. If this particular facility has had past serious violations then it must be closed.
Don't forget, some of us are going to end up in these facilities. If we know of problems now and do nothing then we deserve what we get.
Close the damn place. Let's start taking care of our older folk.
If you've got no-one in a old folks home go take a tour of one,(and don't go to the Brethren home or Menno-Haven in Chambersburg, go to one of the other places like this dump) if you have a heart and little compassion for people you'll be shocked at what you see, hear, smell.
Close the damn place and put the owners in jail for abuse!!!
We should spare no expense to take care of the elderly. Those of us 70 and under and if able in mind and body can work.
Concerned

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Close the dump down!!! I wouldn't put my worst enemy in that peice of crap called a nursing home!!!
Darly

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Just another example of someone taking advantage of senior citizens. Shut 'em down.
MyWorld

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

I agree shut it down! Let's get rid of the ones that aren't up to code...because who knows, we could be the next generation to be placed in them! So we need to clean house NOW!
Mandy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

its about time, that place is gross and a disaster area!!
citizen

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

WOW, another log on the fire for the Harris' clan..they can't pay their outstanding $112000.00 tax bill. The property is either a junk yard or holding facility for derelict construction equiptment because it surely is not a home for the elderly..It is an eye sore to the community...PHil lives on the property in an apartment so that he can't fill the loop hole that there is 24 coverage with a Registered Nurse onsite, but he is never there..Past fire drills the home has locked Demetia patient's in closests til the drill was over to cover their behinds...It's time for new blood to come in an revamp the home so the elderly and their siblings are not without...
C Shearer MT Dora FL

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

OMG, Close this place down, but where would the nursing home guests be placed, is there another facility close by? Reference the Russian bride, ever watch on TV how Russia takes care of their aged generation, it brings tears to your eyes! My mother is 89 and my wifes mother is 94 years old, who knows when we're faced with the same decision. I wish we were near the Brethern community near New Oxford. My grandmother was in a Hanover Nursing Home in the 70's, 95% paralyzed, always crying, not able to speak, we turned her over and you could place your fist in the bed sores. She was moved to the Brethern nursing facility and within 2 months her bed sores were healed. My wife and are 70 years old and in the back of our minds we never know when we may be a guest in one of these places.
SWS

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

umm-a problem in york springs & the harris' are involved, yea that's the ticket !
TPC

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

This facility is NOT a Nursing Home, it is an Assisted Living Home, there is a big difference. Before we make the quick judgemnet to "close it down", remember there are people living there who call it their HOME. The problems should be fixed and taken care of now, not just closed now!
Observer

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

TPC wrote:
This facility is NOT a Nursing Home, it is an Assisted Living Home, there is a big difference. Before we make the quick judgemnet to "close it down", remember there are people living there who call it their HOME. The problems should be fixed and taken care of now, not just closed now!
Would you like to make it YOUR home?
Citizen of YS

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

This place absolutely needs to be closed down! Harris is a pathetic excuse for a nurse! Place it for sale so someone who actually cares can save these people...
Juan

Satellite Provider

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Place was probably run by a bunch of Mexicans. That's just how they live. Nothing bad comes out of it but a little swine flu.
citizen

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

TPC wrote:
UMMM,, your right! they are different, but the Harris' provide nothing to the tenants!!! He considers this so called assisted living an apartment complex..Check in someday and see what he feeds the elderly!!! rice, bread, juice and jello..helps keep his costs down.. He even goes to the grocery story in East Berlin and buys up the old bread for his tenant's...So who is passing judgment?? this guy needs help between the ears...
citizen

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

TPC wrote:
Yah, we won't pass any judgement on a money maker (phil Harris) who fails to clean up mice and rat feces on the floor in the pantry!!!.. Can you call this HOME???
Ralph

Satellite Provider

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Hell, I thought this place was closed down a long time ago!!! The outside appearance gives you that impression. It definately sounds like the inside reflects the outside.

Nice one Juan, although I doubt it if that's your real name.
Ema

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Whispering Pines is not the only home with violations. Every single personal care home has them. Go to DPW website and take a look: http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/Resources/Document...
For example, Brethren Home has numerous fire safety violations, including not evacuating numerous residents during every fire drill they conducted, medication violations, etc. Green Acres facility has mice, toilets full of feces, untrained staff, etc. These homes operate under full license. DPW isn't trying to shut them down because they are bigger homes and they would have to find new home for all those residents. Unfortunately, you can't watch and control your emloyees' every step, they make mistakes. All you can do is correct violations and take steps to try to prevent future violations.
penpal

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

I know for a fact that Whispering Pines is a nice place, they would never abuse their residents, residents are happy living there. Take a tour at Whispering Pines instead of listening to rumours and media who always try to make things look worse they they actually are. Whispering Pines residents have plenty of activities ( bingo, crafts, exercise, church services), good food and good care. Their families trust Whispering Pines with their loved ones because they know for a fact that this home is a good place to live.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gardners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 8 hr Obamacare Surprise 51,274
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Tue But Not Hussein O... 3,898
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Aug 9 Cindy 29
50-unit senior housing apartment building plann... Jul 30 Shelly Slader 1
Asper man sentenced in Adams County burglary case Jul '14 Steve Gratman 1
Police: Two arrested after more than 60 injurie... (Mar '13) Jul '14 Steve Gratman 49
Former Carroll Valley officer charged with corr... Jul '14 Steve Gratman 10

Search the Gardners Forum:
•••
•••
Gardners Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Gardners Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••