Councilors rip Wong's reorganization plan - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors used terms like "shell game" and "sham" at Tuesday night's meeting to describe Mayor Lisa Wong's proposed reorganization of city departments.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#22 Jun 3, 2010
The New Fitchburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Zimmer , you are completely wrong! Volunteers that participate in city cleanups is always welcome and appreciated. That being said, the citizens of Fitchburg have been taking care of their property better. The street cleaners did not clean the streets around the college area for years. And there are many other streets in Fitchburg that street cleaners have never gone down. The streets that everyone in Fitchburg notices gets sweeped every year are the "connected" throughout Fitchburg! Obviously Zimmer you live in a connected area!
There was over $43,000 stolen and the council didn't attempt to recover, why? The layoffs are needed! Unfortunately those who get laid off ARE COMPETENT POLICE because the union protects all the do nothing, out of shape cops and the city gets stuck with this group! Layoffs should be done by merit! Anything short of merit is inept and incompetent management!
A brand new street cleaner was purchased! The clean up after the ice storm was superior!! The parks are very nice and a lot of people utilize them! Zimmer, you need to get out more!
The area is much safer today than it was six years ago! The new police Chief is doing a great job! Constant effort needs to be made against crack dealers! The community needs to participate more. There are trends setting for more participation.
As I mentioned the neighborhood cleanup is great but don't disregard those of us whom clean Fitchburg up outside of these organized volunteer cleanups.
Our schools need to be addressed in a constructive way; money thrown at them doesn't help. We need accountability and a plan! St. Bernards is a regional leader in education! Uniforms for public schools should be mandated now!
Zimmer you need to get out of your shell and stop supporting "business as usual" and "the good ole boy network". It is time to move past the old Fitchburg; don't stay stuck in the mud!!
NO I live down the hill from FSC the area I have lived in for over 15 years my parents for over 25 have always been cleaned every year. The brand new cleaner is nice...the other one broke down after many years of use, hence the need for a new one. Not because wong is fantastic.
They are NOT adding jobs in the fpd IE: not replacing people they are letting go....that equals less police on the streets where we need them.
Clean up after ice storm are you for real it was the people that cleaned up the trees before FPW got around to it.
I agree with the community action I am part of said action every day. I do know that we need more feet and minds on the street NOT in an office chair.
The parks yes because of the Volunteers that clean them, NOT city hall. I hike every day up at flat rock and my son plays in allot of the parks. They are clean because of volunteers NOT FPW or WONG.
St. B's you are kidding me right? Uniforms...are you paying? Our schools need allot of work but allot of that stands at STATE level NOT on the towns. My son will be leaving this area for high school (bolton) thank goodness I will not have him in any High schools around here. We have allot too fix and few people who are willing to step up and help. We have to many people like yourself, Which love to stick thier heads in the sand and think everything is hokey dokey (notice spelling...) Everything is not okay the mayor is just like everyone else....please. New blood is needed the old road is used and we can no longer afford the patch jobs that make it worse. We will be like lowell soon enough...oh wait did it happen?
Nice Job

Cummaquid, MA

#23 Jun 4, 2010
That's good. The citizens should be cleaning up. We needed to come together as a community after the ice storm to help fix our city. It is the best thing to rely on each other and help out a fellow citizen. Even DC was impressed with the Fitchburg citizens as other communities just waited for their city workers to do everything. We made the national news because we helped each other instead of sitting back and waiting for others.
need for positive energy

Concord, MA

#24 Jun 4, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
<quoted text> NO I live down the hill from FSC the area I have lived in for over 15 years my parents for over 25 have always been cleaned every year. The brand new cleaner is nice...the other one broke down after many years of use, hence the need for a new one. Not because wong is fantastic.
They are NOT adding jobs in the fpd IE: not replacing people they are letting go....that equals less police on the streets where we need them.
Clean up after ice storm are you for real it was the people that cleaned up the trees before FPW got around to it.
I agree with the community action I am part of said action every day. I do know that we need more feet and minds on the street NOT in an office chair.
The parks yes because of the Volunteers that clean them, NOT city hall. I hike every day up at flat rock and my son plays in allot of the parks. They are clean because of volunteers NOT FPW or WONG.
St. B's you are kidding me right? Uniforms...are you paying? Our schools need allot of work but allot of that stands at STATE level NOT on the towns. My son will be leaving this area for high school (bolton) thank goodness I will not have him in any High schools around here. We have allot too fix and few people who are willing to step up and help. We have to many people like yourself, Which love to stick thier heads in the sand and think everything is hokey dokey (notice spelling...) Everything is not okay the mayor is just like everyone else....please. New blood is needed the old road is used and we can no longer afford the patch jobs that make it worse. We will be like lowell soon enough...oh wait did it happen?
Zimmer, the DPW does clean the parks. I agree that volunteerism is vital! I thought that you may be from down the hill; my friend thought so also. Your area is always street cleaned. The councilmen live in your area. What I was pointing out is the fact that there are volunteers working on cleaning the cities outside of the scheduled clean up dates.I believe that the city is a lot cleaner. And I have to repeat that the ice storm cleanup was awesome. It is ok if the neighbors chip in, this is a good thing and it is what betters neighborhoods.

More people notifying the police is a good thing! My issue with the FPD is that there is no place for inept or out of shape police; they should be let go on MERIT and not protected by seniority. All those retiring are not active with policing. This is what is called dead weight! Thereabsence will not be noticed! I agree as well as everyone agrees that the city needs more police. What we want to avoid at all cost is "dead weight" collection numbers! Seven years ago they had 29 more police and their was crime everywhere!! The FPD needs to be run on merit or you could have 100 added police and worse crime and violence. The "good ole boy" network is horrible!! You can see who they all are by what shape they are in and how extremely slow they move!!!!
need for positive energy

Concord, MA

#25 Jun 4, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
<quoted text> NO I live down the hill from FSC the area I have lived in for over 15 years my parents for over 25 have always been cleaned every year. The brand new cleaner is nice...the other one broke down after many years of use, hence the need for a new one. Not because wong is fantastic.
On the subject of St.Bernards. 100% of their students are going to college! The public school system needs to change and yes uniforms are a great start! The majority of students can purchase uniforms. There may be a few kids that face actual severe poverty. And yes we should foot the bill for these kids uniforms and some we may even need to set up a program to assit them with laundering cost. I will purchase and assist some of these students with these costs.

The military and heavy jail populations utilize the uniform and the making of the bed as a discipline technique and it is proven to work. Every inmate in Massachusetts makes there bed every morning! This step assist in controlling the atmosphere. The military uses the exact same techniques as well as uniforms.

The kids get used to the uniforms as it will become routine after a couple years of disgruntled people. This is a positive and will create a discipline where teachers will be more able to control the students.

No system is perfect and their will always be cost but the ending benefit that the community will see as positive change ,respect and discipline is a good thing.

Everyone notices the tagging(spray paint grafitti) that has been destroying property in Fitchburg! We need to get vigilant in this respect! They are writing their names so they will be easy to track down and watch. When they get caught then punish them with cleaning duties around Fitchburg! This can be done!!Place cameras at hot spots and have citizens on patrol watching for violators. These kids can purchase the paint to spray then they can afford the cost to clean up their mess!!
need for positive energy

Concord, MA

#26 Jun 4, 2010
Zimmer wrote:
When I was in school there was a uniform policy. Many familys would donate the uniforms to the school as their kids out grew the uniforms. This system is plausible and may be done for little or no cost.Most students families can afford these uniforms. Its just some complain because they have to buy the uniforms when some are getting assistance; this complaining will go on until the end of times!! There are many families who can afford to send their kids to private schools but choose public schools; these are usually the complaining groups.

Compare St.Bernards to Fitchburg high school. The kids grades are better; there is more respect and a majority of these kids go on to live productive lives.It is not perfect. Our public schools need uniforms!

Assisting kids that may be in tough homes stricken by drugs, crime or poverty is a good human thing to do. Some of these kids may be our future leaders. These kids will take to a lending hand and the peer pressures that they face being poor will be releived a bit so that they can concentrate on their studies!

Our nations kids are lagging way behind many other countries. Science and Math students are at an all time low! By assisting these kids with uniforms and education in the end the entire population benefits! These are the kids who will be running everything in our lives! Better education, respect and disciplne makes for a safer community!

Location hidden

#27 Jun 4, 2010
need for positive energy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zimmer, the DPW does clean the parks. I agree that volunteerism is vital! I thought that you may be from down the hill; my friend thought so also. Your area is always street cleaned. The councilmen live in your area. What I was pointing out is the fact that there are volunteers working on cleaning the cities outside of the scheduled clean up dates.I believe that the city is a lot cleaner. And I have to repeat that the ice storm cleanup was awesome. It is ok if the neighbors chip in, this is a good thing and it is what betters neighborhoods.
More people notifying the police is a good thing! My issue with the FPD is that there is no place for inept or out of shape police; they should be let go on MERIT and not protected by seniority. All those retiring are not active with policing. This is what is called dead weight! Thereabsence will not be noticed! I agree as well as everyone agrees that the city needs more police. What we want to avoid at all cost is "dead weight" collection numbers! Seven years ago they had 29 more police and their was crime everywhere!! The FPD needs to be run on merit or you could have 100 added police and worse crime and violence. The "good ole boy" network is horrible!! You can see who they all are by what shape they are in and how extremely slow they move!!!!
I happen to agree with the merit based hiring. If a police officer can not pass physical training he/she should no longer be serving. Who is the cop that is the size of a barn....? No no more if you can not run over a mile without being short of breath they should be retired. Allot of thesse young punks commit crimes because they know 80% of FPD can not chase them down. But such training takes money, not cuts. We have to beable to pay for new blood to come in. Constant training and retraining takes resource that noone around here wants to see or do. The mayor only sees that her bottom line is bothered. I have many issues with the cuts that are asked for when in the same line is her asking for raises for her and her buddies. That does not fly. There are many more things round her to invest in such as infilstructure schools (teachers,books,computers, libary books...do you know mckay no longer has a libary?) We need more police (trained and physically fit...that takes money) Roads...my god roads around here suck I have had to have my front end fixed 3 times with in the last year.! There is no way to avoid the pot holes. We would not have had so much damage during the ice storm, if the City kept up on the trimmming of trees and road up keep not to mention a mayor who stands up to unitil. There is are many things that need done and to many damn people that turn the other way. We have so much to offer out here if we only worked together to do it all. FSC is the one whom is clean up and taking down the decrepit buildings, but people love to rag on the college and the students (the only reason that Fitchburg still exsists) After manufacturing left... Come on time for Fitchburg to wake up and clean up.
The city is cleaner (in some areas) because people like ourselves got sick of waiting for city hall to help and organized groups to do the clean up (not CITY HALL)
We have huge infilstructure issues all over town... City hall loves talking NO action. Wong loves to hold up things unless she gets what (she) wants... all of them do (committee) They can not stop playing around like childern long enough to come together like adults. "I want...it mine" Another park....sure thing....forget the roads...sewage...water drainage.
I could keep going case by case if you like.
Wong is not doing anythin she is playing the same games as the rest of the fools.

Location hidden

#28 Jun 4, 2010
<quoted text>
When I was in school there was a uniform policy. Many familys would donate the uniforms to the school as their kids out grew the uniforms. This system is plausible and may be done for little or no cost.Most students families can afford these uniforms. Its just some complain because they have to buy the uniforms when some are getting assistance; this complaining will go on until the end of times!! There are many families who can afford to send their kids to private schools but choose public schools; these are usually the complaining groups.
Compare St.Bernards to Fitchburg high school. The kids grades are better; there is more respect and a majority of these kids go on to live productive lives.It is not perfect. Our public schools need uniforms!
Assisting kids that may be in tough homes stricken by drugs, crime or poverty is a good human thing to do. Some of these kids may be our future leaders. These kids will take to a lending hand and the peer pressures that they face being poor will be releived a bit so that they can concentrate on their studies!
Our nations kids are lagging way behind many other countries. Science and Math students are at an all time low! By assisting these kids with uniforms and education in the end the entire population benefits! These are the kids who will be running everything in our lives! Better education, respect and disciplne makes for a safer community!
Education starts at home.
Most kids are not as lucky as you childrn or my son.
I do not think that uniforms will make a diffrence either way. I see no use for them in a public system. Waste of resources (as a single mom I have better things to spend my money on) I have always made to much money to get Assistance in any form. And I am NOT willing to layback and take a lesser job to get any assistance.(which is common)
Respect and discipline is started at home. Let me tell you I go to school functions with my son it is scary how some of these parents are no wonder...some of these kids are the way they are. People have to want to change to change...do you really see a way?
This town and surrounding areas is infested by drugs and Alcoholism. Childern are exposed to that and the way of life that comes with that. School uniforms will NOT change that or make our schools better in any form. The issues are deeper than that. Putting bandaids on stab wounds does NOT stop the bleeding after all. Real changes will help. Uniforms....are bandaids wasted time and resources. Next!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#29 Mar 27, 2013
Fitchburg was a DUMP wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a fool! How can you state this lie?? Where have you lived for years? Fitchburg hasn't had an operational anything in 20 years!!! You lie! Fitchburg just bought a new street cleaner; the streets haven't been sweeped before this in atleast 8 years!!
There was trash everywhere that is now gone! The parks are all cleaned up where they were broken down and drug ridden. Heroin dealers ran Fitchburg for years! The cops allowed this to take place!
Mylott,Kearns and the entire city council ruined Fitchburg!!! This Mayor cut lights and saved thousands! She has eliminated do nothing positions! Do you even remember bond rating problems with Fitchburg during good times state wide? The entire state was doing good and Fitchburg was a complete dump with an over stuffed inept police force!
They arrest more criminals now than they did with 30 more employees! She fired the building Inspector and stores open in Fitchburg!This city council and Kearnsd ran Fitchburg into the toilet!
Kearns should of been fired years ago!!!Dinatale has been around for years as Unitil sc.r.ew.ed everyone! Now he is a big voice against them? They did nothing to control this city from running into ruins.
What happened to the $43,000 plus that was stolen from the city treasury? No answers and a city council that has refused to attach the estate of the person they were pointing the finger at; or was it a case of "BLAME THE DEAD GUY?"
You really think so?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#30 Mar 27, 2013
Stamos wrote:
<quoted text>
You really think so?
Where did the money go Stamos?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#31 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>

I agree with this person Stamos, you?
Jtn

Hudson, MA

#32 Mar 30, 2013
Isn't it ft and fun in Lisa's world,bobby sox ,yu go girls. Fun fun fun
didi

Hudson, MA

#33 Mar 30, 2013
Jtn wrote:
Isn't it ft and fun in Lisa's world,bobby sox ,yu go girls. Fun fun fun
yes you go gurl go go
Daddy

Framingham, MA

#34 Apr 3, 2013
Fitchburg was going the wrong way since i was first attacked here by judge zide.

Now , the streets are much cleaner, less crackheads and needle users are here.

Grant money will continue to roll in as long as Lisa is Mayor and her 1/2 brother is president.

Prior to Lisa being Mayor, this town was a dump. Now at least it's clean
Devils Advocate

Gaithersburg, MD

#35 Apr 3, 2013
Daddy wrote:
Fitchburg was going the wrong way since i was first attacked here by judge zide.
Now , the streets are much cleaner, less crackheads and needle users are here.
Grant money will continue to roll in as long as Lisa is Mayor and her 1/2 brother is president.
Prior to Lisa being Mayor, this town was a dump. Now at least it's clean
WTF are you smiking???
Devils Advocate

Gaithersburg, MD

#36 Apr 3, 2013
...or smoking???
Jtn

Concord, MA

#37 Apr 3, 2013
Devils Advocate wrote:
...or smoking???
isn't it fit and un in fitchburg the ghetto

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 3 hr Jtn 42
Has Jtn ruined Topix? 9 hr Tammy from Miami 1
Numbers of homeless increase in region 13 hr But 6
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 16 hr Tim 4
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) Fri Karen 67
Safe Stolen In Super Bowl Ring Heist Found (Apr '09) Fri ScarletteBullisSp... 7
McKay hosting family barbecue Thu Karen 2
•••

Gardner News Video

•••