Cell Phone Captured Teen Beaten to De...

Cell Phone Captured Teen Beaten to Death at School

There are 7 comments on the Fox News story from Feb 8, 2008, titled Cell Phone Captured Teen Beaten to Death at School. In it, Fox News reports that:

A Kansas teen was charged with involuntary manslaughter Wednesday in the death of a 16-year-old schoolmate who collapsed after a fight that was captured on a bystander's cell phone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

12GBowieTX

Salina, OK

#1 Feb 8, 2008
thats what bullys do
amanda

United States

#2 Feb 13, 2008
12GBowieTX wrote:
thats what bullys do
the kid that was fighting and that is held responsible is not a bad guy and he was not a bully it was just a fight that when deathly wrong
keep it real

Overland Park, KS

#3 Feb 13, 2008
natural selection. Bullying has been an unadressed problem in our schools for a very long time. Funny how when teachers and parents won't take care of it God will. So a bully dies boo-hoo! you'll see no tears from me :)
Dawn Englehaupt Miner

Delaware, OH

#4 Feb 15, 2008
keep it real wrote:
natural selection. Bullying has been an unaddressed problem in our schools for a very long time. Funny how when teachers and parents won't take care of it God will. So a bully dies boo-hoo! you'll see no tears from me :)
Well, it was the VICTIM of the bullying that died. That changes everything to me.
When I attended that school,(Gardner is my hometown) sure there was bullying, but it just didn't seem as severe as what we are seeing now.
These parents need to teach their children that cruelty to others is unacceptable. My children could do almost anything and not shame me. But I have told them all their lives if I ever hear they were taunting someone or cruel to another for ANY reason....I would be very ashamed and take immediate action to ensure it didn't happen again. If I had to.....pull them out and homeschool them.
Parents!!!: TALK to your children and set an example. Don't degrade others even in private for their looks and clothes or social/sports/mental status. Don't tolerate this snobbery from your children if you see it emerge. Talk to them about how all people have value and deserve to be TREATED with respect. Talk to them about standing up for the underdog.
And the teachers...when I was there (graduated in 91) we had some very good teachers that really modeled treating EVERYONE well. Mr Kalkman, for example, Mr. Evans , Mr Miller...I could go on. They didn't tolerate this in their classes. They'd put the person being the bully in their place.
This is really sad. My heart goes out to my old community and especially the parents of the victim.
russell wilson

United States

#5 Feb 20, 2008
scott. sorry about your son, call us we are in wellsville phone book under wifes name.
Outraged

Menomonee Falls, WI

#6 Feb 24, 2008
Some of these comments are outrageous, if you lost a sister, brother, mother, father or close friend to something as trivial as high school brawl between a 2 high school boys (That’s right boys), you would be devastated. The only fact that remains that this youth died at the hands of some sick sadistic kids while the event was captured on a cell phone camera. Everyone who witnessed this and didn’t try to intervene should be charged as an accessory to this heinous crime. Maybe if we start applying the laws that holds LIFE so dearly, maybe we teach generation next to value life instead of destroying it. Thank you Gardner City Council, entire GPSD (City Police Department), USD 231, and especially the outgoing principal for looking the other way, when you should be hold these kids tot eh highest standards. The community leader’s relaxed approach to dealing with high school problems must change 180 degrees. Our warnings have fallen on deaf ears for over 16 months and this is what will continue to happen until they consistently enforce the laws. No more passing the buck from the School to Police, Police to City Council, City Council, to School. Stand up; swallow the lump in your throat and kick there A$$ES out of school if they get caught breaking the rules (emphasis added). For the family, we grieve for your loss and hope that the memory of your son will live forever in a place that is held up on high. God Bless you and stay strong, there is hope and salvation for those that walk in the light.
Totally agree

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Feb 25, 2008
I think you are totally correct, the high school has still to this day not address anything concerning bullying or even stopped the "witnesses" with the cell phone recording from discussing/bragging about the fight in school. From my understandin, the video was unfortunately passed for others to view before it was confiscated by the police. What really shocks me is that the group of boys that witnessed the fight haven't had any consequences for their actions, either in school or by the district attorneys office. So once again, there is nobody that seems to be standing up for the victim. It's really a shame the as a homeowner I have agreed to have tax raises to support the school system in Gardner when they are still looking the other way when it comes to childrens safetly. I hope they sleep well at night knowing they have done nothing. Even the middle school has addressed the issue of bullying, but not the high school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Olathe 8 hr Cottrell 1
News Kansas community tries to heal from shooting; b... Sat anonymous 4
Seclected email recipients Feb 11 billjacklin 1
News Cops tried to catch a mountain lion on camera. ... Dec '16 Parden Pard 3
News 6 Home Improvement Flubs That Cause Inspection ... (Jul '16) Dec '16 IslaWright 3
News Pranksters in costume have fun with wildlife ca... Nov '16 Suezanne 15
johnson county sheriff deputy name Nov '16 Vigilante 1

Gardner Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gardner Mortgages