Gardner, Edgerton in preliminary talks about combining the cities

Feb 29, 2008 | Posted by: Kansas City Star | Full story: Kansas City Star

“For heaven's sakes, what if we didn't have to talk about any line at all”

Maybe they could call it Gardgerton.

The cities of Gardner and Edgerton in southwest Johnson County are mulling an unusual move -- a consolidation into one city. City leaders in both communities say the discussions are still preliminary, and further talks that would outline the advantages and disadvantages of such a move likely won't occur until at least late spring or early summer.

The topic first was discussed in a recent meeting of the mayors, city administrators and some city council members of the two cities in which they discussed future annexation boundaries for the cities. Read more

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Apr 26, 2008
Sharon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2008

Judged:

This is a ridiculous idea. That is all I have to say about this.
good to me

Edgerton, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2008

Judged:

well in the long run it might save them from being annexed by lawrence or olathe, which could be a fate similar to the death sentence for a small town.
Sara

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

I can't see difference. It will be the death of Edgerton as a small town if it combines with Gardner. Although, if it would improve things for the community it might be worth considering. Right now it seems all the city does is take from the citizens and gives very little in return.
Street maintenance is poor and snow removal in the winter is even worse. I have actually witnessed them using snow plows to shut off water service and yet the very same day claim that there wasn't enough snow to plow the streets so that the children would not have to walk through snowy streets on their way home from the bus stops. In all the years I have lived in Edgerton I only made a few minor requests from the city and every time been disregarded and disrespected.
Natalie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

I live in Edgerton and want to keep the two towns separate from each other. It seems to me that Edgerton's needs would be even more ignored if this were to happen. I think the town (Edgerton) is starting to get organized and make things happen for its citizens and it'd be a shame to get gobbled up by another town when things are starting to move in the right direction.
Natalie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

PS - I have no idea why it automatically selected Pleasant Hill, MO, as my location.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gardner Discussions

Search the Gardner Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 2 hr Quite the resume 136
Are there any illegals in Olathe Jul 21 HelpUsAll 1
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) Jul 17 Shaggy 5,951
Helicopters near black bob park Jul 17 Shaggy 1
Hiring Jul 16 Unilever 1
Light Jul 7 guest 4
Debate: Marijuana - Olathe, KS (Sep '10) Jun '14 Erwin Duvall 21
•••
•••
•••
•••

Gardner Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••