Gardner, Edgerton in preliminary talk...

Gardner, Edgerton in preliminary talks about combining the cities

There are 5 comments on the Kansas City Star story from Feb 29, 2008, titled Gardner, Edgerton in preliminary talks about combining the cities. In it, Kansas City Star reports that:

“For heaven's sakes, what if we didn't have to talk about any line at all”

Maybe they could call it Gardgerton.

The cities of Gardner and Edgerton in southwest Johnson County are mulling an unusual move -- a consolidation into one city. City leaders in both communities say the discussions are still preliminary, and further talks that would outline the advantages and disadvantages of such a move likely won't occur until at least late spring or early summer.

The topic first was discussed in a recent meeting of the mayors, city administrators and some city council members of the two cities in which they discussed future annexation boundaries for the cities. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City Star.

Sharon

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2008
This is a ridiculous idea. That is all I have to say about this.
good to me

Junction City, KS

#2 Mar 23, 2008
well in the long run it might save them from being annexed by lawrence or olathe, which could be a fate similar to the death sentence for a small town.
Sara

United States

#3 Apr 23, 2008
I can't see difference. It will be the death of Edgerton as a small town if it combines with Gardner. Although, if it would improve things for the community it might be worth considering. Right now it seems all the city does is take from the citizens and gives very little in return.
Street maintenance is poor and snow removal in the winter is even worse. I have actually witnessed them using snow plows to shut off water service and yet the very same day claim that there wasn't enough snow to plow the streets so that the children would not have to walk through snowy streets on their way home from the bus stops. In all the years I have lived in Edgerton I only made a few minor requests from the city and every time been disregarded and disrespected.
Natalie

United States

#4 Apr 26, 2008
I live in Edgerton and want to keep the two towns separate from each other. It seems to me that Edgerton's needs would be even more ignored if this were to happen. I think the town (Edgerton) is starting to get organized and make things happen for its citizens and it'd be a shame to get gobbled up by another town when things are starting to move in the right direction.
Natalie

United States

#5 Apr 26, 2008
PS - I have no idea why it automatically selected Pleasant Hill, MO, as my location.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diana R Speer Jun 24 Ronnie 1
Light (Jul '14) Jun 21 anonymous 6
News KS Republicans Prepare to Put African-American ... Jun 20 Oh No You Di-nt 1
who is the black guy at Mandarin Kitchen? Apr '15 ltheman 1
Julie Bilhimer (Apr '14) Nov '14 GoldenAge 4
Vanessa Hartman Finnell (Apr '13) Nov '14 looking again 2
Review: Gardner Auto Body & Towing (Aug '12) Jul '14 David 2
More from around the web

Gardner People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Gardner Mortgages