Fewer churchgoers tithe, study says

Fewer churchgoers tithe, study says

There are 10 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 23, 2008, titled Fewer churchgoers tithe, study says. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Linda Pateo of Gardendale, Ala., says she and her husband, Robert, try to give 5 percent of their income to their church and 5 percent to Christian charities, but it's difficult with three children in college.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Publius

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 24, 2008
Its regrettable that the article did not cite bible verses supporting tithing. My understanding is that the biblical verses relating to this are far less ambigious than we are lead to believe.

Also, the ancient church was the only source of charity. With 40% of my income going to taxes, paying for social security and welfare, my giving is mandatory, and the role of the church is periperal rather than primary as it was 2000 years ago.

Since: May 08

Bergen, NY

#2 May 24, 2008
Tithing was just another for of taxation, and it was used to support the church. It was part of Godís covenant with the Church if Israel and therefore enforced in Ancient Israel as a law. Itís not necessarily what God wants us to do now, we should give as much as we can, not just %10 of our income! We should give our time, our resources and everything that we have, and it should go towards reaching out and helping those less fortunate in the name of Jesus!
human too

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 24, 2008
Religious conservatives still give more (as a percentage of income) to charitable causes than any other demographic, this on top of having the same taxes confiscated from them as everyone else does.
Owl Gore

Monroe, LA

#5 May 24, 2008

there are indulgences (carbon offset credits)
you need to start buying to save our Mother.

if we go against the will of our goddess Mother, our god will punish us (hurricanes, floods, disease, searing heat)

I'd like a religious tax exemption.
ned

Maple Grove, MN

#6 May 24, 2008
human too wrote:
Religious conservatives still give more (as a percentage of income) to charitable causes than any other demographic, this on top of having the same taxes confiscated from them as everyone else does.
Ten Leaders in Charitable Giving in the United States

1. New York

2. Utah

3. California

4. Connecticut

5. Maryland

6. New Jersey

7. Georgia

8. Massachusetts

9. Hawaii

10. South Carolina

*The District of Columbia is second to New York.

http://www.bc.edu/research/cwp/meta-elements/...

7 of those 10 states are "blue" states and DC is heavily "blue".
human too

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 24, 2008
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story...

Couldn't have said it as well myself...
human too

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 24, 2008
Ooopppsss... Sorry!!! That link should be:

ned

Maple Grove, MN

#9 May 24, 2008
human too wrote:
Ooopppsss... Sorry!!! That link should be:
John Stossel? LOL.
Fan of Common Sense

Eden Prairie, MN

#10 May 27, 2008
I read as far as the test of putting up a Salvation Army bucket in San Francisco and Sioux Falls. First off, this is hardly a scientific survey. The sample size is way too small to be taken seriously, there is no control, and they don't take into consideration other giving of time and money by the people walking by.

Second, Salvation Army is noted for refusing donations by gay rights organizations, advocating against adding sexual orientation to the list of anti-discrimination protections, and will not hire homosexuals. San Francisco being the gayest city in America, it stands to reason that these positions would have a negative impact on their take.
The Minority

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 27, 2008
I fail to see how a conservative dropping a few bucks in to a bucket, while at the same time casting their vote for a representative who'll work to eliminate social programs, can really represent an honest comparison. It's the liberals who choose to be taxed thousands more individually in an effort to bring about significant change who really make the difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardendale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Traffic camera citation Jul 19 Big John 2
Pics of ex from cardiff Jul 14 BigDelta19 1
Ticket Cameras Jul 8 Sollers 2
Captain D's Sucks Jun '17 mainman1274 1
Beef Jerky Recipe Mar '17 JerkyFanatic 1
House Cleaning Service -2 Women & a Mop (May '16) May '16 AL_KuntryBoy 1
Pinehurst Drive, Gardendale (Oct '15) Oct '15 Potential Owner 1

Gardendale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance