It's time to pass a smoking ban

It's time to pass a smoking ban

There are 61 comments on the Daily Mountain Eagle story from Feb 17, 2011, titled It's time to pass a smoking ban. In it, Daily Mountain Eagle reports that:

Secondhand smoke kills. It actually claims thousands of American lives per year, and that is a scientifically proven fact.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Mountain Eagle.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Suzy

Trussville, AL

#1 Feb 18, 2011
I am not a smoker but it's not for me to say who can and cannot smoke. That is their business and right. One less thing Americans should lose
Reality

Clarksville, MD

#2 Feb 18, 2011
Secondhand smoke kills. It actually claims thousands of American lives per year, and that is all part of a marketing scam from Johnson & Johnson Inc. and NOT a scientifically proven fact.
Tea

Elgin, OK

#4 Mar 12, 2011
Funny, I don't think you understands the politics of it all James. Let me explain it to you. The Cancer Society is comprised of Dr's and Drug Companies. Dr's and Drug Companies don't sell Tobacco Products; they sell the patch and other chemicals etc. etc. They sell more of their products if they get some clown like you to help promote their scare tactics on some po-dunk little news paper. And the only thing you get out of it is unhealthier, not from second hand smoke mind ya(what a joke), but from getting to that restaurant table quicker, which from the pic. of you, ya may want to consider waiting in line for that table a little longer. Heck you may even want to jog around the restaurant building a little while you wait; now that would be healthy for ya. Also looky here I have a flea market setup. Do you think you could run a story about Second Hand Dust, I think we could scare some folks into getting rid of some of there goodies, real cheep. LMBO! at cha.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#5 Mar 12, 2011
THere is, actually, no such thing as a "scientifically proven fact". That's a scientifically--no, I'm not going there.

Science deals with best explanations given the current understanding--said explanation being referred to as a "theory".

As to secondhand smoke and the ACS, you are distrubed individuals if you think the latter drummed up the former.

Studies in Europe beginning in the 1920s linked lung cancer with SHS exposure. The ACS had nothing to do with that.

The immediate and acute effects of SHS you can hardly deny--just the fact that it sets some people to coughing says that it is doing SOMETHING bad.

SHS has been shown to cause nicotine withdrawal symptoms in nonsmokers. That alone is reason enough to limit the number of places where SHS may be generated.
shuggar

Gardendale, AL

#6 Mar 16, 2011
oalou life you would not be concerned with anyone else's, If you do not smoke shut up, If you do not want to be around the smoke go home,

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#7 Mar 17, 2011
Johnson and Johnson, owning Pfizer, the makers of Chantix and Nicoderm, fund the bans through their Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-RWJohnsnF...

Many PREVIOUS charities, now tax exempt political action committees, received millions to lobby for smoking bans from the RWJ Foundation. These bans are nothing but clever marketing strategy, with lots of highly publicized "sky is falling" hype.

Tobacco control funding sources for "social change" to handle the "tobacco problem"

http://www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp...

Here are their tax exempt Political Action Committees.(PACs)

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/CIA_Fundamentals....

Now they are being given grants to enforce their bans, admitting that bans don't help business.

http://www.rwjf.org/applications/solicited/cf...

The bans and taxes are a resounding success, for Pfizer.

http://www.emoneydaily.com/pfizer-nysepfe-dem...
U R Flawed Claude

Nashville, TN

#8 Mar 17, 2011
generalsn1234567 wrote:
Johnson and Johnson, owning Pfizer, the makers of Chantix and Nicoderm, fund the bans through their Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
J&J bought Pfizer only about four years ago. If smoking bans make Pfizer such a hot item, then I assume Pfizer was a hot item then, and that J&J paid appropriately for the acquisition. This, on top of the fact that the vast majority of the funding from RWJF (which you continually ask us to confuse with J&J) was given out much farther in the past than that, makes your load of crap an obvious load of crap.
Smokers Stink

Pearland, TX

#9 Mar 17, 2011
Nobody should be forced to smell your stinking cigarette smoke.

Smokers Suck !
I Am Blessed

Frederick, MD

#10 Mar 17, 2011
Smokers Stink wrote:
Nobody should be forced to smell your stinking cigarette smoke.
Smokers Suck !
Nobody should be forced to smell your stinking anal seepage.
Anti-smokers Suck!

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#11 Mar 18, 2011
U R Flawed Claude wrote:
<quoted text>
J&J bought Pfizer only about four years ago. If smoking bans make Pfizer such a hot item, then I assume Pfizer was a hot item then, and that J&J paid appropriately for the acquisition. This, on top of the fact that the vast majority of the funding from RWJF (which you continually ask us to confuse with J&J) was given out much farther in the past than that, makes your load of crap an obvious load of crap.
As stated in 2004 concerning the RWJs "smokeless states program", "the results remain to be seen" A few years later, the results are now clearly seen.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#12 Mar 18, 2011
The sale of Chantix (mind drug) is behind the reasons of the anti-smoking movement.

I agree it is bad to smoke but there are other more important political issues to this movement.

Look at all the mind drugs being pushed on the public by the medical and psychological professions with bogus mental diseases or falsehood in research.

Think Coup D'etat.

Location hidden

#14 Mar 18, 2011
Pfizer fined $2.3B in record fraud settlement

Pharma giant illegally promoted product, Justice Department says, in largest health care fraud settlement in history.

Snip:

Pharmacia and Upjohn Company, a Pfizer (PFE, Fortune 500) subsidiary, has agreed to plead guilty to misbranding the anti-inflammatory arthritis drug Bextra "with the intent to defraud or mislead," the department announced.

Pasted from < http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/02/news/companie... ;

Location hidden

#15 Mar 18, 2011
The medical privacy act was enacted in 2004 (Republican Bush presidency) to hide and conceal medical or pharmaceutical wrong doing in services or products that harmed an individual. The Act stopped statistics and other pertinent information from the News media or persons with an interest (family)
UR Flawed Claude

Nashville, TN

#16 Mar 18, 2011
generalsn1234567 wrote:
<quoted text>As stated in 2004 concerning the RWJs "smokeless states program", "the results remain to be seen" A few years later, the results are now clearly seen.
Oh, that is so very very cogent. NOT.
UR Flawed Claude

Nashville, TN

#17 Mar 18, 2011
HumanSpirit wrote:
The sale of Chantix (mind drug) is behind the reasons of the anti-smoking movement.
I agree it is bad to smoke but there are other more important political issues to this movement.
Look at all the mind drugs being pushed on the public by the medical and psychological professions with bogus mental diseases or falsehood in research.
Think Coup D'etat.
Don't just look. Window shopping won't help you with your problem.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 18, 2011
I'm not a smoker.

CONCORD, N.H. Bucking a national trend of raising cigarette taxes, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Rhode Island have considered reducing theirs, hoping to draw smokers from other states and increase revenue.

Supporters argue reducing the tax by a dime would make New Hampshire more competitive with Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts, while opponents say that even if the state experienced higher sales as a result it still would lose millions of dollars in revenue.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lower_tobacco_t...

Location hidden

#19 Mar 18, 2011
Quote from the article: Association President John Dumais said Thursday that cutting the rate a dime would cost the state tobacco tax revenues but would result in an offsetting increase in state taxes collected from people renting hotel rooms, eating in restaurants, buying alcoholic beverages, buying lottery tickets and buying gasoline. The net result would be no loss of revenue to the state but an incentive for tourists to visit the state to shop, he said. "People coming from out of state are going to have an empty gas tank. They're going to be hungry. They're going to be tired," he said. "It's going to help every business."

---------

Money talks!

Reasonable logic to the decrease in taxes as the "new" political war on cigarette tax will eventually stimulate the economies for states.

The creation of the Cigarette black market will increase policing for other states too (road blocks = overtime to catch the smugglers). The courts and attorneys will make out on the smuggling crimes. The paint companies will sell more paints to keep the home bright and cheery over the yellow stains and the the makers of cloth for curtains, towels and sheets will increase sales from the burn marks and yellowing of the cloth products. The appliance makers (where the white plastic trim turns yellow) will be making a killing in sales. Woman will be buying more clothes to get that putrid smoke smell out of their clothes. All that will be more taxes for the states.

The fire department will make out like bandits in putting out roadside fires started by those that flip the cigarette and the plumbers will make out in the cigarettes that clog the toilets as well as the Road Departments in clearing the drains from the filters of the cigarettes. Divorce will increase and late child support payments (again) will have that added administration fine instead of the male committing suicide or freezing to death in his car being used as his home.

This is nothing but a positive move in the bad financial times in America.

The only losers would be the pharmaceuticals that started this anti-smoking mess for the sales of their product (which is a mind drug anyway that caused more health costs in the side effects and deaths in a shorter period of time than a smoker who has been smoking for the past 50 years.) The other loser would be Mental Health Industry with their voodoo, tarot card and Crystal ball gazing for psychotherapy and stage magician acts of Hypnotism to stop the smoker with (of course, Let me not fail to mention) DEPRESSION that you hear about every 30 seconds of that propaganda on the TV..

No doubt the democracy would be boosted. The only loss of revenue to the states will be those millions that quit smoking.

I say, Let the war begin. Maybe Obama will light up just to provoke the Republicans who, by the way, have a vested interested in health care for pharmacutical profits to fill their back pockets and for support of their beloved GOP.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#20 Mar 19, 2011
I think you'll find very few latinos smoke.

They cost too much to waste money on.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#21 Mar 19, 2011
Juan wrote:
I think you'll find very few latinos smoke.
They cost too much to waste money on.
Latinos?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#22 Mar 19, 2011
HumanSpirit wrote:
Quote from the article: Association President John Dumais said Thursday that cutting the rate a dime would cost the state tobacco tax revenues but would result in an offsetting increase in state taxes collected from people renting hotel rooms, eating in restaurants, buying alcoholic beverages, buying lottery tickets and buying gasoline. The net result would be no loss of revenue to the state but an incentive for tourists to visit the state to shop, he said. "People coming from out of state are going to have an empty gas tank. They're going to be hungry. They're going to be tired," he said. "It's going to help every business."
---------
Money talks!
In this case, it clearly walks alongside the traditionally contrasted entity. Cigarette tax hikes are aimed well beyond simply generating funds. Reduction of a highly significant public health threat is chief among the other goals.
HumanSpirit wrote:
The creation of the Cigarette black market will increase policing for other states too (road blocks = overtime to catch the smugglers).
This is a good argument for a federal public-smoking ban.
HumanSpirit wrote:
Oh, wait. I'm sorry. I read on through your post and now realize you were just trying to amuse us with your absurdity. Carry on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardendale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Traffic camera citation Jul 19 Big John 2
Pics of ex from cardiff Jul 14 BigDelta19 1
Ticket Cameras Jul 8 Sollers 2
Captain D's Sucks Jun '17 mainman1274 1
Beef Jerky Recipe Mar '17 JerkyFanatic 1
House Cleaning Service -2 Women & a Mop (May '16) May '16 AL_KuntryBoy 1
Pinehurst Drive, Gardendale (Oct '15) Oct '15 Potential Owner 1

Gardendale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance