L.A. Daily News announces new printin...

L.A. Daily News announces new printing partnership

There are 28 comments on the LA Daily News story from Feb 27, 2009, titled L.A. Daily News announces new printing partnership. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

In order to continue providing readers with the area's best local coverage, the Los Angeles Daily News has announced a new strategic plan to restructure its printing and production operations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SpreadtheSeedsan dstems

Norco, CA

#21 Feb 28, 2009
Walter Moore wrote:
This illustrates how hostile a business environment Villaraigosa's City Hall has created: the LOS ANGELES Daily News has to move its printing operations outside the City limits to cut costs.
Let's bring the city's best newspaper back into the city, shall we?
Vote for me for Mayor on Tuesday, and we'll make our city a place employers move into, not out of.
Walter Moore
Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles
http://WalterMooreForMayor.com
Hey walter, are you really from Cypress? the Orange Curtain, eh Comrade? What's your stance on gay issues? Do you ever go to east Los Angeles. Central City? South los Angeles? Koreatown? Chinatown? Pico Union? Wher, oh where has my underdog gone? Oh where, oh where can he be?

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#22 Feb 28, 2009
A Lost Customer wrote:
My brother has worked in the Daily News production facility since it was the "Green Sheet" (35+ years). I know firsthand that most of the employees in the Valencia facility have worked for the company just as long, if not longer. So now that they have dedicated their entire working lives to this company, they will be shown the door as a statement of gratitude from the company that they have toiled so hard for for so many years. All so that this company can stay afloat.
Perhaps if the Daily News had focused on improving their so-called "newspaper" many years ago, instead of pandering to the "Jerry Springer" audience they cater to now, there would be a much more loyal readership.
Sad...
I totally agree with you. Even when an employee comes up with a great idea that makes the paper better those employees are not recognized for their efforts. As a former employee I saw a former Auto Ad dept. rep put together a program which resulted in revenue of over $100,000 in a short term program. The employee was awarded with little gift certificate and a handshake. He later left the company. I, myself, came up with the paper's Friday Real Estate section which garnered the paper thousands and thousands of dollars of revenue. What gratitude did I get? A $50 gift card to Best Buy. That was one of the reasons I left the company.

There is no recourse at the Daily news since it is privately owned by Dean Singleton.

My only consolation in all of this is that he owns a lot of newspapers around the country and his empire is crumbling around him more and more each day. I bet he's not sleeping well.

It all comes down to forward thinking. At most companies there is none. That is one of the big reasons we are in the economic fix we are all in.
Walter Moore

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Feb 28, 2009
I stand corrected: one of my very informed supporters tells me the Daily News is currently published in Valencia.

But the underlying problem is the same: City Hall's policies provide every incentive to locate any commercial activity -- except for retail operations that require proximity to the customer -- outside the City limits.

Let's change that.

Walter Moore
Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles
http://WalterMooreForMayor.com
the rich just richer

Hawthorne, CA

#24 Feb 28, 2009
My husband retired from the Daily News several years ago after 35+ years of service. Obviously, he saw the decline of management and circulation which occurred over the years. So now about 150 employees (including some great friends) of the Valencia facility will lose their jobs, many with families to support, because Mr. Singleton is only concerned with keeping himself afloat and could care less about displacing any employees. I can't help but think there is another solution. What goes around, comes around, Mr. Singleton. Have some compassion. You are just as greedy as the Wall St. moguls.
Former Reporter

Los Angeles, CA

#25 Feb 28, 2009
This is actually very big news, which was reported with the slickness of a DWP public relations machine.

I'm guessing that the Daily News production jobs are well-paid union jobs. When I worked at the Merced Sun-Star eons ago, the people running the printing presses made three times what us lowly reporters with college degrees made.

While I was glad that the guys in the back could get a living wage, I kinda wondered when that would happen for the reporters, the lowest paid people in all of the newspaper (the ad sales people make the most, you know, because they actually produce what a newspaper sells--advertising. Anyone who thinks the news is the final product of a newspaper is sorely mistaken). Any talk of unionizing in a newsroom and a reporter was gone...poof!

What I'm guessing this represents is outsourcing to a sweat shop with no union and probably questionable documentation of its workers' right to work in this country.

But of course, I hope I'm wrong.

This country will continue to remain ignorant, and newspapers will continue to decline, until the advertising model that supports newspapers is radically changed. Readers need to know how much it costs to produce quality news, and they need to be willing to pay for it. And newspapers have to stop being held over a barrel by advertisers, such as Realtors, who cry foul when newspapers print the truth about things such as option ARMs and housing prices that go up forever being sustainable. Our entire economy was brought down by collusion between the media and big business, and newspapers still have the gall to continually report that "nobody saw it coming." Well, I saw it coming! And I read about it all on a blog called thehousingbubbleblog.com , where people are free to write the truth without being censored by advertisers. I have to sort through some rants and radicals, of course, but overall, the people who post are smart and dead-on. These people were digging up charts and statistics and public records in a very impressive way, while newspaper reporters were quoting real estate shills and discredited economists.

The newspaper industry brought this on itself, and so did readers, by letting businesses and corporations decide what we read, and when.

How about a non-profit newspaper, anyone??? Or one that is supported by its readers, such as salon.com or Ms. magazine? I'll be first to sign up and PAY for quality news.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#26 Feb 28, 2009
Former Reporter wrote:
This is actually very big news, which was reported with the slickness of a DWP public relations machine.
I'm guessing that the Daily News production jobs are well-paid union jobs. When I worked at the Merced Sun-Star eons ago, the people running the printing presses made three times what us lowly reporters with college degrees made.
While I was glad that the guys in the back could get a living wage, I kinda wondered when that would happen for the reporters, the lowest paid people in all of the newspaper (the ad sales people make the most, you know, because they actually produce what a newspaper sells--advertising. Anyone who thinks the news is the final product of a newspaper is sorely mistaken). Any talk of unionizing in a newsroom and a reporter was gone...poof!
What I'm guessing this represents is outsourcing to a sweat shop with no union and probably questionable documentation of its workers' right to work in this country.
But of course, I hope I'm wrong.
This country will continue to remain ignorant, and newspapers will continue to decline, until the advertising model that supports newspapers is radically changed. Readers need to know how much it costs to produce quality news, and they need to be willing to pay for it. And newspapers have to stop being held over a barrel by advertisers, such as Realtors, who cry foul when newspapers print the truth about things such as option ARMs and housing prices that go up forever being sustainable. Our entire economy was brought down by collusion between the media and big business, and newspapers still have the gall to continually report that "nobody saw it coming." Well, I saw it coming! And I read about it all on a blog called thehousingbubbleblog.com , where people are free to write the truth without being censored by advertisers. I have to sort through some rants and radicals, of course, but overall, the people who post are smart and dead-on. These people were digging up charts and statistics and public records in a very impressive way, while newspaper reporters were quoting real estate shills and discredited economists.
The newspaper industry brought this on itself, and so did readers, by letting businesses and corporations decide what we read, and when.
How about a non-profit newspaper, anyone??? Or one that is supported by its readers, such as salon.com or Ms. magazine? I'll be first to sign up and PAY for quality news.
If I'm not mistaken, about 15 years ago the DN print facility became a non-union shop. That's what I remember.
Used to subscribe

Sylmar, CA

#27 Feb 28, 2009
Note to Singleton & Co.: Send Mr. Moss and Ms. Garcia packing and get some folks on board who know how to do more than wield a pair of scissors.

Cutting to a bottom line just doesn't work.
a liitle late

Boise, ID

#29 Aug 14, 2012
i worked for the valley news and green sheet, the valley daily news, and then the LA daily news. the best boss was b4 the tribune company owned it. it was family owned and well run. the tribune, jack cook, and finally
singleton are too much corporate minded to care about
us peons.... but when you get an owner that really cares
about his employees, that is the best... there are still
several of those out there and i dare singleton to take
one of his companies and care about it and his employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gardena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The census missed more than 100,000 California ... 4 hr JustStop 2
what happen 2 little mobster lms (Aug '09) Wed Baby doll 7
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed fDS 20,173
Vote For Donald Trump Wed Just Sayin 4
That Time Al and Tipper Gore Teamed Up To Brand... Wed Ronald 2
Germany Installs Ground-Level Traffic Lights fo... Wed Julie 1
Nautilus Submarine Sandwich? (Oct '13) Tue The Captian 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gardena Mortgages