Why are there so many pregnant studen...

Why are there so many pregnant students at GCHS?

Posted in the Garden City Forum

astounded_parent

Garden City, KS

#1 Apr 11, 2008
What the hell is going on in this town? The number of teen pregnancies in Finney Co. is unreal. Is it lazy parenting????
astounded parent also

United States

#3 Apr 13, 2008
well i hate to say it but is is about to get worse. part of the reason is that some of facilities are catholic ran.they dont believe in birth control.kids will try things even with the best parenting.i hear the womens clinic has been sold to st cathrines hosp so population in fi co about to boom!
MrL

United States

#4 Apr 14, 2008
Yes, poor parenting is it! I had my son three months after I graduated from HS in Garden. My mom let me run wild and do whatever it was I wanted to do. If she would have set restrictions and expectactions for me, I would have been at home doing homework, not out running around with my boyfriend. Although I'm still with the same guy and we have an amazing healthy life together, I wish I would have waited. Probably would have happened if I'd had a parent active in my life.
MrL

United States

#6 Apr 14, 2008
I am a strong person. I have 5 siblings; we took care of each other because no one else was there to do it. I took on the mother role when I was 12 because my two older ones were out of the house. I'm not saying I got pregnant because of my parents...I guess I'm more pointing towards the fact that I grew up so much faster than I should have. I made the choice to take care of my brother and sister and I still do to this day. I have a wonderful son and we have a wonderful family. I have always been very responsible. I had always worked two full time jobs and went to college online at the same time. I've always held a well respected job in the community. I'm not like others my age, when someone guesses my age; it is always around eight years older than my actual age. I made the choices I made on my own, I knew what I was getting into. However, I was saying that if I had someone telling me what they expected from me or what would make them proud, maybe I would have made different choices. I did make the choice to start a family and take on another family.
I'm young and I've accomplished more than anyone my age that I know. I'm proud of myself for the things I've accomplished in life.
I guess all along I never really needed my parents to be proud, as long as I'm proud, that's good enough for me.

I will say one thing though, I know many young girls who have had babies or who are pregnant and the one thing they have in common is that they do not have parents who are active in their lives. I have many other friends who are away at college or starting a new career and they did and still do have parents who are active in their lives. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but that's just my personal experience.
Get a clue

Garden City, KS

#7 Apr 26, 2008
astounded parent also wrote:
well i hate to say it but is is about to get worse. part of the reason is that some of facilities are catholic ran.they dont believe in birth control.kids will try things even with the best parenting.i hear the womens clinic has been sold to st cathrines hosp so population in fi co about to boom!
AND how would you know? Being Catholic has nota thing to do with his problem.
Laughing Hysterically

Garden City, KS

#8 Jul 1, 2008
All it is is a bunch of whorish mexicans who start having sex in 5th grade. It's not uncommon to see juniors at GCHS with 3 kids. So yeah, its poor parenting. They start young. Grats GCHS! Have them babies on your hips at graduation!
Umm

Garden City, KS

#9 Jul 1, 2008
Laughing Hysterically wrote:
All it is is a bunch of whorish mexicans who start having sex in 5th grade. It's not uncommon to see juniors at GCHS with 3 kids. So yeah, its poor parenting. They start young. Grats GCHS! Have them babies on your hips at graduation!
Thats if they even make it to graduation
Former KS Resident

Northampton, MA

#10 Jul 2, 2008
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/20/20...

Those demographics are common of what you would find in TX border counties!!!
- -Unknown- -

Garden City, KS

#11 Jul 7, 2008
I think it is good! They did it so they toook a chance and got pregnet.

Since: Aug 08

Garden City, KS

#12 Aug 1, 2008
they cant keep their legs closed....their alwayz open for business...non of my concern though jus thout its kinda funny
reader

Ottawa, KS

#13 Aug 11, 2008
Laughing Hysterically wrote:
it isnt just the mexicans it is all races including yours
reader

Ottawa, KS

#14 Aug 11, 2008
it isnt just mexicans it is your race to so just dont that is only one race it yours to so stop to think before you open your ......
student

Garden City, KS

#15 Aug 13, 2008
im pregnant and its not just mexicans its other races to dont blame it on the parents its not there fault its our fault for choosing to have sex under age without protection
I know from watching

Garden City, KS

#16 Aug 14, 2008
First of all. I graduated last year from GCHS and honeslty it was ridiculous to have to see so many pregnant girls. It is not only the parents responsibility to keep their children in check but it's also the childrens responsibility.
But it's hard for children to know what's wrong and right if they themselves have never been taught. Many parents now a days do not teach their children everything there is to know about sex. I met a girl at the high school... we talked a while... I asked her if she was afraid of getting STD's or AIDs... her answer was,"No that doesn't happen to people like me... and besides they have cures for all of that stuff. It's not dangerous any more".. then I asked her if she was afraid of getting pregnant.. her answer was, "no..if that happens my mom will help me raise the kid and I can get welfare and all"..Honestly i was so shocked. After that I asked alot of teens if they were scared of that stuff... what did they apply with?... the same as the young girl....if that is what our teens are being taught aren't you a bit scared as to what they'll teach their off spring? and so forth and so on. People are becomming more and more ignorant every day.
I'm sorry but I was so sick and tired of listening to girls brag about being pregnant and all. Like it was something to be proud of?. Our society also has a big role into it. GCHS's principles and teachers do not help at all. Honestly i think that it should be like it was when my mother was growing up... if you got pregnant you left school. Or atleast put them in the Adult learning center where they're not influencing alot of the younger girls and where they school isn't basically telling the girls that it's okay to get pregnant when they're kids.
student

Garden City, KS

#17 Aug 14, 2008
Parenting hood is something to be proud of and if they are proud of it be glad for them it isn't you so don't worry about them and if you don't like it then why don't you ignore it its none of your problem....and its not the parents fault they cant be by there by there side 24/7 of the day they have a life to and i bet you wouldn't be by your child's side 24/7 either...
BeenThere

Garden City, KS

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Yes I believe the term is parenthood not parenting hood. And you are right it is something to be proud of when you are taking on the responsibilities of having a child and all that it entails. That means providing for your child financially, independent from parents, social programs, wic, welfare, free this and free that. And by the way dippinG, getting pregnant and having a child without being prepared and able to responsibly take care of that child isn't showing anything but a lack of judgement and total disregard for their childs future. They have nothing, are a teen, can not even vote, barely can drive, don't own a car, no job or a minimal paying job, NOTHING...and then saddle their child with poverty. How responsible and good is that? Guess it all depends on your perspective.

As a tax payer whose taxes are continually going up yearly, YES this irresponsible parenting is a concern to me and to many others. Last year we were told that the taxes in Garden City are being raised to help cover the social needs of the community.

Our claim to fame is that we have the highest rate of teen pregnancy per capita of the entire USA. IM sure it is the world. Something to really be proud of. Doesn't it make you wonder THAT if we have that much teen sex going on HOW much AIDS is out there. Don't be naive and belive it isn't there. Where there is that much sex going on there is that much AIDS and other diseases there. And what are the consequences of all that promiscuous behavior?

And yes I would be in my childs face 24/7 as I was and continue to be. And I know my childrens friends, habits, where abouts everything about them. But what it really boils down to is the morality that I taught my children verses what is taught or not taught today. Teach them right from wrong. To respect themselves. To believe in themselves. To know that their virginity and purity is the greatest gift they give themselves. That sex is a time bomb and the choices you make today will grow to haunt you later in life. And most of all Stand for something or you'll fall for everything. and that is what young girls do in Garden City Kansas they fall for it all and we all know how they end up.......the proof is in the pudding....
d NH

Suncook, NH

#19 Aug 23, 2008
^
AGREED COMPLETELY.

Better sex ed cuts taxpayer costs, and means less money being funneled into social programs, new schools, etc.

It also comes down to responsible parenting and smart personal choices as well.

As a former Kansas resident I liked Hays much better than Garden City.

Just look at these terrible demographics!
Been There

Garden City, KS

#20 Aug 27, 2008
MY DAUGHTER CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL TODAY AND REPORTED THAT ONE OF THE TEACHERS SHE KNOWS WELL INFORMED HER THAT 600 GIRLS HAVE COME TO THE NURSES FOR HELP BECAUSE THEY ARE PREGNANT. 600. THAT IS 1/3 OF OUR SCHOOL POPULATION IN THE HIGH SCHOOL OF APPROXIMATELY 1800 STUDENTS. SCAREY TO THINK WHAT NEXT YEAR WILL BRING. MAYBE WE SHOULD BE RENAMING THIS SCHOOL GARDEN CITY SCHOOL FOR PROMISCOUS AND PREGNANT TEENS. CAN YOU IMAGE HOW MANY OF THESE KIDS HAVE SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES.
Been There

Garden City, KS

#21 Aug 27, 2008
I went to the following website and checked out the demographics that the government says is Garden City Kansas and it is a bunch of bull. Go to the High School park out side of it and watch in the morning and at lunch and then tell me that there is only a small percentage of hispanics here. You think u are in Juarez Mexico not Garden City USA. When the census bureau asks for info do they really think that they Mexicans that are here illegally are going to say they are here. Stupid politicians. Ask the police force, they tell you there are 3 and 4 and 5 families together living here hiding their citizenship or illegal status but still collecting welfare. Wake up America. Your government has no idea what is going on here.
d NH

Suncook, NH

#22 Aug 28, 2008
I would wager to bet that a very small percentage of the population over age 65 is Hispanic in Finney County. However, Garden City has a very high birth rate overall. It will be interesting to see what the 2010 Census shows...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garden City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sam brownback is just an ordinary good guy - le... May '16 True American and... 2
Gov Brownback fights Sex Changeist May '16 True American and... 1
Kalvesta files lawsuit against Dighton May '16 KS wow 3
trump picks cruz has vp May '16 True American and... 1
The Donald is the Greatest Mar '16 True American and... 1
Rest in Peace Nancy Mar '16 True American and... 1
Lawless Harley Davidson dealer Mar '16 Rusty 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garden City Mortgages