Ohio private colleges on 2010-11 'bes...

Ohio private colleges on 2010-11 'best values' list

There are 10 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 15, 2010, titled Ohio private colleges on 2010-11 'best values' list. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Several Ohio educational institutions have been named by Kiplinger's Personal Finance as among the '"Best Values in Private Colleges' for this school year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Alex

Defiance, OH

#1 Nov 15, 2010
Kenyon is a very good school but is certainly is not a good value. It is one of the most expensive schools in the country.

“Apocalypse 8:6 Live!”

Since: Sep 09

Columbustan

#2 Nov 15, 2010
That's great news.
My record unpayable 20th century student loan debt is like a sick joke.
Then I looked at today's tuition at the same Ohio (Oyo in Native American) school.$$$$$????
It would not even buy two classes in a semester today.
I guess that's a helluvah bargain.
The Internet is making university's and their debt machines obsolete faster than you can say Fortran.
If you want the best education for the money live in station wagon parked somewhere in Princeton and haunt the library daily. Eat your tuition instead at PJs pancake house.
Only scarecrows and tenured economists need degrees to have a brain.
Thom

Columbus, OH

#3 Nov 15, 2010
Go Big Red!
Kill White Babies

Mount Vernon, OH

#4 Nov 15, 2010
Denison, great value, really??? I guess if your a rich family from the Northwest states and want to send your snotty, worthless little brat somewhere and pay 40K a year to babysit and ensure a 4-year degree, then I guess it's a "great value".
Kill White Babies

Mount Vernon, OH

#5 Nov 15, 2010
I meant to type Northeast. Sorry, I went to some tw0-bit public university.

Since: Feb 10

Columbus, OH

#6 Nov 15, 2010
A value? Total cost for one year at Case is 0ver $50,000. I agree that it's a great school and my son was able to get a good job after he graduated, but without lots of financial aid, I don't know who could attend CWRU.
tfa

Columbus, OH

#7 Nov 15, 2010
I agree with Alex. I went to Kenyon and while it is an excellent school, I certainly wouldn't consider it a good value. Wonder what the criteria for "value" is.
dude

Columbus, OH

#8 Nov 15, 2010
Best value list? It sounds like these colleges are the "Aldi" of the school world. Buy 3 years, get one half off.
OhioStudent

Columbus, OH

#9 Nov 15, 2010
Is anything that costs the equivalent of a nice new car every year affordable?

I am afraid there is an impending student debt crisis, when $40,000 per year schools are considered "affordable". I understand financial aid is available, but only a minority of student receive significant aid.

I guess we should just remember that education is a business (although colleges vehemently deny the fact) just like banking or TVs, and that they are out there to to make as much money as possible...
For Him

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 15, 2010
These colleges are not so "affordable."

Anything less than a "brilliant" student or a very valuable sports player from a middle class family will be mired in debt.

Colleges are expected to "look" and "feel" like a Country Club.Gone is the utilitarian experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gambier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Families who empathize with Pughs want more don... (Jun '06) Apr 22 greg 3
Ron who mowes golf course Apr 13 Tammys thought 1
Danielle Krzosky (Apr '15) Mar '16 Jeff 8
Missing person Mar '16 Missing Woman 1
News Take steps with Emotions Anonymous (Sep '10) Mar '16 Deborah 2
eagles club Feb '16 peggy 1
are there any methadone clinics that accept med... (May '10) Feb '16 douce batiste 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gambier Mortgages