Shiprock kicks off 97th annual fair

Shiprock kicks off 97th annual fair

There are 109 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Sep 25, 2008, titled Shiprock kicks off 97th annual fair. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

High fuel prices are not expected to dampen the spirit this weekend for the beginning of the annual Ye'ii-Bi-Chei dance at the Shiprock Navajo Fair.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
desiree

United States

#1 Sep 26, 2008
I wanted to comment on the Northern Navajo Pageant. It seems like times have changed I just heard the outgoing Miss Northern Navajo had to put on a feast on Sunday and that the pageant committee is only bringing cake! The current Miss Northern Navajo and her family have to provide everything else. I think its backward! She did public service for a year for our agency come on and of course the pageant committee has a budget but no telling what they purchase with that. What a shame I remember when the ladies at least had a scholarship even if it was a couple of hundred of dollars. Maybe we need new coordinators....Ms. Joe seems to be to busy with her mess at the BIA. Give other people a chance to improve the pageant not drag it into the dirt. I hope the community can come forward and help the lady who is suppose to feed the community.....what a burden. communrne

“Supreme Sixa in Las Vegas, NV”

Since: Sep 08

Kirtland, New Mexico

#2 Sep 26, 2008
YEEAAAA!!!!!!!!! but i well not be there. but i do want to go!!!! i really want to go. i think im going to go but gas prices are so high. DUMB BUSH screwed up the country. o well the Fair is starting!!! YAY!!!!
SWHWYS

Ignacio, CO

#4 Sep 26, 2008
Shiprock Fair what a disappointment - it's either to windy and blowing dust or it's muddy, wet and dirty. I always wondered why they haven't layed down ashpalt or provided shade covering where most vendors and visitors congregate. People need to clean up the trash around the fair area too. They need to make some major improvements before I go again.
socialbutterfly

United States

#5 Sep 26, 2008
I'm so excited...the wind, blowing dust, mudy wet and dirty, its all part of the fair. Our ancestors never had that and still had FUN!!! YIPPEE FAIR TIME!
READYFORFUN

Porterville, CA

#6 Sep 26, 2008
This fair is kind of crazy because of the things that happpen there... well who cares!? I'M STILL GOING!!! lmao.. ya well later
KBATES

El Paso, TX

#7 Sep 26, 2008
I IWSH I COULD BE THERE TO CELEBRATE THE FAIR WITH MY FAMILY AND FRIENSDS. BUT I LIVE TOO FAR AND GAS PRICES ARE TO HIGH HERE IN EL PASO tx. FOR ME TO GO HOME FOR THIS EVENT. I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY IT AND HAVE FUN SAY HELO TO MY KIDS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS, FOR ME. I'LL TRY TO COME HOME SOON.LOVE YOU ALL
MoRnInG sTaR

Porterville, CA

#8 Sep 26, 2008
The fair is a good place to be especially when your going to do something there... for sure, i'm going to the pow-wow since i'm half navajo and half ojibwe.. lol... if you see me WAVE!! MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! cannot wait to eat some mutton stew and frybread! mmm,, CANNOT WAIT!!!=)=0
Pete

United States

#10 Sep 26, 2008
Shiprock Fair is very unique and awesome! Its awesome because you experience the sounds of distant bass rhythms of Christian bands, the sights of Apache dancers, huge semi trucks in the parade, candy falling like rain, bilagaanaas selling balloons, clowns, teenagers walking around hunched over as they walk around in black clothes, grandmas holding umbrellas, distant sounds of someone in a mike, Harleys rolling by with their thunder sounding exhaust, frustrated drivers going through traffic, princesses sitting on car hoods waving to the crowds, aging warriors walking in the parade with flags, and of course, the wind and blowing dust! That's what makes the Shiprock Fair unique; therefore awesome.:-)
Shiprock Resident

Tonalea, AZ

#11 Sep 26, 2008
LOL hey Pete great comment..i couldn't have said that any better myself!!!
PLUS
I would like to rub in that this fair is not only the 97th annual...but the
-OLDEST OF NAVAJO TRADITIONAL FAIRS-!!
And that my friends is what makes this EVENT so exciting!!!
Hutch

Tuba City, AZ

#12 Sep 26, 2008
Chili Yazzie has been upset lately about people talking trash about him and his corrupted dealings with BCDS, immature Kurley's motel groundbreaking, fradulent activities within the Shiprock Chapter and other corruptions. Chile Yazzie might burn down all the outhouses (permanent and portable) on the fairgrounds and parade route and the people of Shiprock will pat him on the back and put him back in political office in Shiprock Chapter.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#13 Sep 26, 2008
There you go Pete making more racial comments, no wonder you here stuff in Ftown when you NA come to raise hell.
Sud

Tuba City, AZ

#14 Sep 26, 2008
KBATES wrote:
I IWSH I COULD BE THERE TO CELEBRATE THE FAIR WITH MY FAMILY AND FRIENSDS. BUT I LIVE TOO FAR AND GAS PRICES ARE TO HIGH HERE IN EL PASO tx. FOR ME TO GO HOME FOR THIS EVENT. I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY IT AND HAVE FUN SAY HELO TO MY KIDS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS, FOR ME. I'LL TRY TO COME HOME SOON.LOVE YOU ALL
Sorry to hear that you and your family are going to miss the mutton and fry bread, parade, relatives, rodeo, powwow, song & dance, night performances, etc, etc. Hope you folks can make next year when the US gets rid of Bush and have this country back on track.
roadrunner

Tonalea, AZ

#15 Sep 26, 2008
Hutch wrote:
Chili Yazzie has been upset lately about people talking trash about him and his corrupted dealings with BCDS, immature Kurley's motel groundbreaking, fradulent activities within the Shiprock Chapter and other corruptions. Chile Yazzie might burn down all the outhouses (permanent and portable) on the fairgrounds and parade route and the people of Shiprock will pat him on the back and put him back in political office in Shiprock Chapter.
what the heck...are you around him when his upset and talking about his problems...lol...i thought you were from chinle...or is that fake!?
wondering???
BTW are you sure your not chilli??
Nativeplayerzs

Dolores, CO

#16 Sep 26, 2008
I love to go to the Fair, it's the best because you can meet your homies there and just hang out check the views.........You know what I mean?
TO THE PPL

Kirtland, NM

#17 Sep 26, 2008
can't wait for the foods... ppl get ready to have a blast!!!!
Sud

Tuba City, AZ

#19 Sep 26, 2008
roadrunner wrote:
<quoted text>
what the heck...are you around him when his upset and talking about his problems...lol...i thought you were from chinle...or is that fake!?
wondering???
BTW are you sure your not chilli??
Read the stories concerning this issue, lamebrain. I do not think one would want to look like or pretend to be Chili Yazzie, he is easy to spot...he has a headrag, a pueblo-style hair bun and one-armed short dude.
roadrunner

Tonalea, AZ

#21 Sep 26, 2008
Sud wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the stories concerning this issue, lamebrain. I do not think one would want to look like or pretend to be Chili Yazzie, he is easy to spot...he has a headrag, a pueblo-style hair bun and one-armed short dude.
my friend...
LOL....your funny i wish i could squish you!! okay i was reading the story...but i think my lamebrain focas was on HATCH...;P and i see...your from chinle too!! buddysystem - huh? WOW!! can ya guys just lay-off the dude chili...he doesn't represent the fair!!! so..whos tha lame-brain now??? can i still squish you?(wink)
McCain Palin 08

Boulder, CO

#22 Sep 26, 2008
Shiprock resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw in another thread that you said you are a CCSD employee. I hope you do not work in Shiprock or Newcomb, you racist hag. If yuo talk this way in front of the students, I hope they report you and your racist butt gets fired.
If you want the racists to get fired from the CCSD, then good luck with that, all the navajos that are there are racist!
Yadilah

Kayenta, AZ

#24 Sep 26, 2008
Stop it already! Keep to the subject thread and don't start with the racist bs. Enjoy the fair or stay home.
Overhang

United States

#25 Sep 26, 2008
Yadilah wrote:
Stop it already! Keep to the subject thread and don't start with the racist bs. Enjoy the fair or stay home.
Right On.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City scores 50 out of 100 for LGBTQ friendly po... Nov '17 123ABC 1
I LOVE you, Ms. Cook, USPS Clerk, Grants, New ... Oct '17 You are so beautiful 1
Missing 12 year old girl from Grants! Sep '17 A friend in La 1
Saucequatch (Jun '17) Jun '17 Squatch is my friend 1
News Daniels Fund awards grants to N.M. nonprofits (Jan '06) Jun '17 Anonymous 7
Gallup Music Forum (Feb '13) May '17 Musikologist 14
News Correction officer arrested, accused of sleepin... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Biggie63 2

Gallup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gallup Mortgages