Autopsy: Dog bites killed Albuquerque...

Autopsy: Dog bites killed Albuquerque man attacked by pack (1:02 p.m.)

There are 26 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 30, 2011, titled Autopsy: Dog bites killed Albuquerque man attacked by pack (1:02 p.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Bites from a relentless pack of dogs killed a 55-year-old man with a history of seizures who was found lying unconscious along the side of a road while the animals mauled him, a medical examiner's report said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cnn

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Mar 30, 2011
Are they sure they were dogs and not some kind of animal from the desert! There so many animals out there that im sure we dont even know of.
Animal Control

United States

#2 Mar 30, 2011
Again the call goes out to spay and neuter your pets...and please feed them a minimal amount of food.

Consequences are harsh when the pets are allowed to roam hungry.

This applies everyone within range of these words...either healthy or tilted towards Darwin.
Quark

United States

#3 Mar 30, 2011
" "The dogs, they were downright angry. You could see their ribs sticking out."

WTF? Was this supposed to say the dogs were "downright hungry?" It's been awhile since I've owned a dog, but I sure don't remember their ribs sticking out when they're angry.
Mimi

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 30, 2011
Animal Control wrote:
Again the call goes out to spay and neuter your pets...and please feed them a minimal amount of food.
Consequences are harsh when the pets are allowed to roam hungry.
This applies everyone within range of these words...either healthy or tilted towards Darwin.
And this will keep the dogs from biting how?
Realist

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Mar 30, 2011
Mimi wrote:
<quoted text>
And this will keep the dogs from biting how?
Spaying and neutering is a legitamate request. If for no other reason, then that there will be fewer strays breeding more strays who grow up and breed even MORE strays. Spay/neuter also makes animals less likely to roam. And people who have invested a little money in their animals are more likely to protect their investment by keeping that animal secure at home.
native New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#6 Mar 30, 2011
Cnn wrote:
Are they sure they were dogs and not some kind of animal from the desert! There so many animals out there that im sure we dont even know of.
The dogs were seen mauling him and returned while the med techs were there.
What a horrible story - bad on so many levels...
jwl

Muskegon, MI

#7 Mar 30, 2011
Once again poor defenseless animals were the victims of heartless, horrible "owners" and had to suffer the consequences - as did this poor, poor man. Shame!
Otis

United States

#8 Mar 31, 2011
jwl wrote:
Once again poor defenseless animals were the victims of heartless, horrible "owners" and had to suffer the consequences - as did this poor, poor man. Shame!
This is a typical anglo reading of the story. Nobody "owned" these dogs. They were part of the huge feral population of dogs on the rez. Nobody feeds, cares, medicates or pets these creatures. Most of the population comes from the "civilized" anglo communities that believe taking unwanted dogs to the rez and turning them loose is somehow humane. If the anglo population surrounding the rez would take responsibility for their own pet problems the rez wouldn't have such a huge population of feral dogs that naturally will pack up and hunt.
your kidding right

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Mar 31, 2011
I totally agree with Otis.You don't see this problem anywhere else

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#10 Mar 31, 2011
Ummmm, If these dogs that are roaming around with their ribs sticking out then yes I do believe the owners should be fined! First of all their dogs are out roaming the streets and second, they are obviously not fed, and third they killed a poor old man! wtf?! people are never accountable for S H I T that they do. If there are owners of these dogs, I hope the man's family presses charges because this is rediculous! Poor man, he should've never had to go through this.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#11 Mar 31, 2011
Loose or feral domestic animals running as a pack just didn't fall from the air. This element of terror and poverty were ignored and chased from one garbage pit to another until this happened.

Loose animals like this are now going to be destroyed for no fault of their own.

Very interesting caveat to this item that it was not wolves or coyotes that attacked the victim.
....but "man's best friend".
Mimi

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Mar 31, 2011
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
Spaying and neutering is a legitamate request. If for no other reason, then that there will be fewer strays breeding more strays who grow up and breed even MORE strays. Spay/neuter also makes animals less likely to roam. And people who have invested a little money in their animals are more likely to protect their investment by keeping that animal secure at home.
You failed to answer my question, within reason. Perhaps we should spay and neuter humans, same problem, same solution.
Carl Sellars

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Mar 31, 2011
Mimi wrote:
<quoted text>
You failed to answer my question, within reason. Perhaps we should spay and neuter humans, same problem, same solution.
Since you seem dense to an obvious solution to strays, perhaps the spay and nueter should have began with your mother...and whomever your father might have been.

When you get a better diagnosis, maybe you will get better meds and can rejoin Topix one day.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#14 Mar 31, 2011
Grab the 30-30. Ah hell, these are just varmints. Leave the 30-30 and bring the .22. Sides, 30-30 ammo is gettin more spensive nowadays. Time for some dog huntin!!
Baffled

Rio Rancho, NM

#15 Mar 31, 2011
'Once the results of the tests are in, an investigator will meet with a tribal prosecutor to decide whether a complaint will be filed against the owners of the dogs, Platero said.'

WOW! NM is probably the most lawless state in America. You can run over people on bicycles and your dog can kill and eat someone and you don't even have to worry about a citation. Also seems like murder is pretty easy to get away with. They find a body off 10 or 25 every other week or so.

The article implies that there are owners. I would say the COMPLAINT(???), at the very least, should be filed. That'll teach 'em.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#16 Mar 31, 2011
Otis wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a typical anglo reading of the story. Nobody "owned" these dogs. They were part of the huge feral population of dogs on the rez. Nobody feeds, cares, medicates or pets these creatures. Most of the population comes from the "civilized" anglo communities that believe taking unwanted dogs to the rez and turning them loose is somehow humane. If the anglo population surrounding the rez would take responsibility for their own pet problems the rez wouldn't have such a huge population of feral dogs that naturally will pack up and hunt.
You might be right, Otis. I had a GF once, lived out there on the Rez (KO-TYIT). One afternoon we see a car stop in front of her house. After the car drives off, 4 little puppies come nosing around, whining. She said that happens all the time. Most Anglos think the Navajos will eat them, so why not dump them out there? I boxed them up and hauled them back to ABQ to the pound.
Seriously

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Mar 31, 2011
I find it incredibly offensive and narrow-minded that a couple of you are of the opinion that "the anglos" have created this problem by dumping dogs at the reservation. First off, this state is dominated by a hispanic population so I hardly think stray dogs could be blamed solely on "the anglos". Second, people of ALL creed and color are negligent about animal ownership. Refering to race in this matter is ignorant, and only propagates racism.
Really

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Mar 31, 2011
Mimi wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't the sharpest crayon in the box!

Steralizing pets = fewer unwanted animals = fewer stray animals = fewer people eaten by packs of feral animals.
Odete

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Mar 31, 2011
Baffled wrote:
'Once the results of the tests are in, an investigator will meet with a tribal prosecutor to decide whether a complaint will be filed against the owners of the dogs, Platero said.'
WOW! NM is probably the most lawless state in America. You can run over people on bicycles and your dog can kill and eat someone and you don't even have to worry about a citation. Also seems like murder is pretty easy to get away with. They find a body off 10 or 25 every other week or so.
The article implies that there are owners. I would say the COMPLAINT(???), at the very least, should be filed. That'll teach 'em.
I'm hoping you'll show up with your bicycle. I have an old 3/4 ton pickup truck with a place on the right front with original paint just a waiting for you. Hope to see you soon.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#20 Apr 1, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't the sharpest crayon in the box!
Steralizing pets = fewer unwanted animals = fewer stray animals = fewer people eaten by packs of feral animals.
Doggone! That also means less dogs to hunt. My Vietnamese friends aren't going to be happy about this!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City scores 50 out of 100 for LGBTQ friendly po... Nov '17 123ABC 1
I LOVE you, Ms. Cook, USPS Clerk, Grants, New ... Oct '17 You are so beautiful 1
Missing 12 year old girl from Grants! Sep '17 A friend in La 1
Saucequatch (Jun '17) Jun '17 Squatch is my friend 1
News Daniels Fund awards grants to N.M. nonprofits (Jan '06) Jun '17 Anonymous 7
Gallup Music Forum (Feb '13) May '17 Musikologist 14
News Correction officer arrested, accused of sleepin... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Biggie63 2

Gallup Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gallup Mortgages