Riding the waves: Navajo listeners, broadcasters use radio to preserve language

There are 14 comments on the Jan 15, 2011, Farmington Daily Times story titled Riding the waves: Navajo listeners, broadcasters use radio to preserve language. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Highly publicized and expensive efforts to preserve and revitalize the Navajo language are widespread on the sprawling, 27,000-square-mile reservation, yet one of the most ubiquitous modes of preservation also is one of cheapest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Willie

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Jan 18, 2011
This has been helping other tribes preserve their languages...

http://www.ndnlanguage.com/thanku_press.html
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#22 Jan 18, 2011
KNDN listener wrote:
Great article. Enjoy listening to George Werito every morning especially when it comes to events about our children. They are our future. By the way we get great signals from all three stations in Torreon,NM.
the people that worked at KNDN are good workers,HOWEVER,THEY DODN'T know how to read the announcments if you write it in navajo literacy...
Twiddle Dee

Fort Defiance, AZ

#23 Jan 18, 2011
navajo wrote:
<quoted text>the people that worked at KNDN are good workers,HOWEVER,THEY DODN'T know how to read the announcments if you write it in navajo literacy...
They speak Navajo better than you speak(write)English. DODEN'T????
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#24 Jan 20, 2011
Twiddle Dee wrote:
<quoted text>They speak Navajo better than you speak(write)English. DODEN'T????
yeah and thats what they called''codeswitching''they'll say somthing in english for a particuler navajo words they(staff-dj's)dodn't know.people that are FLUENT IN NAVAJO SPEAKING tend to say certain old navajo words that are not use these days and thats why i think these folks that are on the air at kndn throws in the english words whenever they're doing the daily announcement.you just need to listen closely to hear what they're saying on the air everyday....AOO' DO NIZHONI YE'
wonder

Phoenix, AZ

#25 Jan 21, 2011
Twiddle Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Some good ideas, but.... you don't think your grandparents and elders would charge???? You don't know Navajos very well!
Some grandparents would do anything for their grandchildren, I believe that is where this would fall under if they want to communicate with their grandchildren and not charge them a cent. But then again you may have to run around and do some chores for them while they are teaching you. But wishing you well and proud that you want to talk "Navajo".
Derek Begaye

Crownpoint, NM

#26 Jan 24, 2011
i'm 17 years young and i like what you guys are doing. i think it's a good idea to help the youth know and preserve are navajo language.we say we are navajo but cant even speak it
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#27 Jan 24, 2011
wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Some grandparents would do anything for their grandchildren, I believe that is where this would fall under if they want to communicate with their grandchildren and not charge them a cent. But then again you may have to run around and do some chores for them while they are teaching you. But wishing you well and proud that you want to talk "Navajo".
parents/teachers should be aware of linguistic differeces and influences on their students.There is also no generic indian language except maybe sign language.Each tribe,regardless of the degree of language erosion,is still effected bt their native language.The language spoken by the elders still has an influence on shildren.While many of these children come to school speaking english,their english is nonstandard''survival'' or indian english,which is edequate as a social instrument but inadequate for academic comprehension and achievement.
thank you from San Diego

Virginia Beach, VA

#28 Jan 24, 2011
Thank you to all the Navajo radio programs trying to keep our language going. I listen to KTNN (Window Rock, AZ) radio at night. I wish KGAK (Gallup, NM) would go online or increase their wattage(?), since this radio seems to be geared for our elders who speak a different tone, more exchanges of information and news with a mixture of traditional Navajo songs and old country music.
As for those moaning or blaming not being taught at home. There is still time to learn your mother tongue: by asking those who still know Navajo, learn from radio, or take a class. Teach your children Navajo and sign them up for the language classes.
It's a shame when recently a 100% Filipino girl spoke Navajo fluently and won a princess title.
sjo

United States

#29 Jan 24, 2011
KTDB is the Ramah Navajo station in Pine Hill. This is their website: http://www.ktdbfm.com/ The program schedule is there.
You can now listen on line.
A variety of public radio shows including NPR news, Native American Calling and Wisdom of the Elders to name a few. All news is in Navajo and English.
Mostly Navajo music, drumming, and country music. They have a nice blend.
And best of all: no commercials.
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#30 Jan 27, 2011
Twiddle Dee wrote:
DINE' BIZAAD ts'ida' ideelniigo choidool'iil biniye' saad alkee' naa'nilgo bihoo'aah dooleel,'aadoo bee yati' doo naahadzoohgo wolta' dooleel.
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#31 Jan 31, 2011
Twiddle Dee wrote:
haaji' iniiya'?
navajo

Shiprock, NM

#32 Jan 31, 2011
Leonard M Begaii wrote:
hello and good morning to everyone i like this story but wish the navajo nation could do more to help keep our language from dying im in my 30s and can hardly speak it but i can barely also understand it my parents didnt really teach us also but they are very fluent in speaking my grandparents have passed on and they were the ones to help me try to speak and understand but now we got to go to school to learn some of the language and some of us dont have the means to pay for school to even try to learn our language so if you really want to teach our language teachers should go to chapter houses and have a class maybe 2x a week to start teaching i dont think that my grandparents or any other elders would charge if we could be there with even to listen that way they could teach us
i think theres alot of ways to learn it,either hang out with someone who's willing to TEACH YOU at no cost(navajo conversation),go to a chapter meeting,shoe games,ceremonial,go to a sheep camp OR even talk to a dine college student at s/r campus who is fluent in navajo spaeking language and writes in navajo.

“GOOD MORNING!”

Since: Apr 09

Tohajiilee

#33 Feb 11, 2011
I wrote to a rosetta stone employee and they said that the Navajo language is a tough one to crack but they will come out with the program to learn the tongue in the near future. That might help some people who were unfortunate to not have been taught by parents or grandparents.

“GOOD MORNING!”

Since: Apr 09

Tohajiilee

#34 Feb 11, 2011
correction:

Rosetta Stone has already released it's version.

Here is some news

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Navajo veterans housing project continues into ... Mar '15 Sleestack 4
News Small percentage of Roman Catholic priests sexu... (Sep '13) Mar '15 The real XandO 15
News New Mexico Senate panel passes on spaceport sal... Feb '15 fmer505-1951 2
Local Politics Do you approve of David Dallago as Commissioner? Feb '15 Nate 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Billy Moore as Commissioner? Feb '15 Nate 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Jackie McKinney as Mayor? Feb '15 Nate 1
Thug City, Little LA, Drunk Town USA (Jun '12) Jan '15 vigilante 3
More from around the web

Gallup People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]