Hughes Broadband Customer

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2011
I would like to bring attention against Hughes Broadband Internet provider for these reasons:
1. The price is outlandish expensive for no more than you receive.
2. Then, there is the Fair Access Policy which may restrict the download speed. Several variables affect this number including speed of download, duration of download, and plan’s Recovery Rate
3. You pay up front for 30 days of service which you are allowed a certain amount of download limit. Hughes divides that amount up into daily allowances. This hinders the amount of time you can spend on the internet in one day. Then, if you happen to NOT surf the web, or do any downloads for a few days, you have lost the daily allowance for those days.
4. If you run over your download limit in a day, then you are shut down for 24 hours, even if your next allowance was due to set in 5 minutes. You’ve just been cheated out of another daily allowance. Hughes is so greedy that when the Day Light Savings time went into effect, we got cheated out of that hour. However, you are allowed 1 free token each month and you may purchase extra tokens to restore your service, ranging from $2.50 for the basic plan and $7.50 for the Pro Plan.
5. Forget about trying to stream a video on anything less than the ProPlus Plan, then, more than likely you will run over the download limit, which is only 400 MB at a price of $109.99.($89.00 after rebate)+$9.99 modem fee + taxes, etc. Look, now you are spending over $100.00 and you can’t even watch one movie from Netflix or anywhere else without exceeding the Fair Access Policy.
What They Said

Charleston, WV

#2 Mar 22, 2011
I've heard many bad things about Hughes Net. Poor connection and price being the biggest complaints. I would never consider going with Hughes Net based off all the complaints I've heard about them. WV is rural and nobody wants to provide internet service because it costs too much to install the infrastructure. Hughes Net might seem like a good option but only if you've not done your homework. Glad to hear my suspicions are confirmed about them.
cowgirl

United States

#3 Jul 22, 2011
I have had hughes net sence Dec , I live in Gallipolis ferry. I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. Every time the wind blows, its out, and they charge u a service charge to come out and turn the dish a little. I see where the downloads r no faster then with dial-up. I would not recommend them to anyone. The price is out rages.
I agree

United States

#4 Jul 25, 2011
I have hughesnet now....I have been calling frontier every month for their service to come here! I'm actually thinking of moving...lol.... The fist comment was right....it sux reallly bad. I exceed my download limit in about 20 mins of usage, and then I am cut back to dial up speed! I actually think my old dialup was faster! I also heard if you are paying straight out of your checking account, that they wont quit taking money out when you cancle....then its a bitch getting your refund! I can hardly wait till they call me up after I get another service....because I am going to tell my bank not to let them withdraw anymore money...lol.... I am gonna tell them they can kiss my a$$!
Old timer

Gallipolis, OH

#5 Jan 22, 2013
Try gen-4 you will like it
Ms mm

New York, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2013
I live in a rural area but I can receive a signal from a cell tower near Millstone Road. I have a Verizon MIFI4510L which picks up the signal and sends it wirelessly to my computer. 5GB for $50.00; $80.00 for 10GB but you can stream videos or music a lot faster than the Hughesnet I used to have but that was before the gen-4 days. I don't think I would switch back at all. If you break your 2 yr. contract with Verizon they just charge $10.00 per month for which you did not fulfill your contract. At least that how mine is and I've been with them for a year now. You can use your allowance all at once or space it out. It is not based on a daily allowance or bogus fair access policy. If you go over your monthly allowance they charge $10.00 a GB. If you're on the 5GB per month plan and are getting close to going over your limit, you can call them up and change it to the 10GB plan for $80.00 or pay $10.00 per additional GB. You can even change the plan back to the 5GB plan next month.

The MIFI4510L is 4G Lite ready and available in the Charleston area but, even though it uses 3G from the towers around here, the download speeds are much better than I had from Hughes.

I tried the AT & T mobile broadband first, but I could not get any service at all from the tower at the end of Millstone Road. So I returned it the next day and got the Verizon MIFI mobile device. Oh yea, I forgot to tell you that, you can take it with you and have internet anywhere you can get a cell signal.
Amy

Bladensburg, MD

#7 Feb 8, 2016
They hurry up and install which I watched a guy do it poorly didn't represent a company well at all looked strung out and needed to pull up his pants

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallipolis-Ferry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 2 hr Meherewv 1,338
Chris sturgon (Oct '11) Fri Sadd 4
Samatha beiard Jun 17 REALLY 6
is this Jordan Jordan real (Dec '15) Jun 13 Get Real 4
Tera Supplle Nail Salon - talk to the hand!!!!! Jun 9 Truth 3
News Profiling candidates for circuit court judges Jun 1 Mad abput corruption 1
Melissa fields (Apr '15) May '16 Doc 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gallipolis-Ferry Mortgages