Galion students, parents deal with ne...

Galion students, parents deal with new dress code

There are 26 comments on the News Journal story from Aug 30, 2007, titled Galion students, parents deal with new dress code. In it, News Journal reports that:

“The goal is that kids come to school dressed appropriately and we don't have to be calling parents.”

GALION -- When the alarm clocks of hundreds of Galion City Schools students went off this week, there was no indecision about what to wear to school. via News Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“You know Harumph loves you”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#23 Sep 28, 2008
I agree to some extent. I hate when the pants hang down like theres a big poop in them, but to make parents go out of the way, and to purchase things from specific places, and to have certain things is stupid. If they make us have to go out of our way and hunt these things down, pay more for them, they should wear them too.
InkGirl

Bolivar, OH

#24 Sep 28, 2008
Most parents do not have to go out of their way to purchase anything. The uniforms that the schools are requiring the students to wear can be fournd at most stores like Wal Mart,
Target and Meijer. They have everything you need, and the prices are no more(actually less than) what they would pay for jeans and such. And think about it. You would really only have to buy about 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts. Just wash and rewear them. No one will EVER know that you are wearing the same pants on Wednesday that you wore on Monday!!! Now if you had to buy school clothes that weren't "uniforms" you have to buy so much more. And a pair of jeans cost me much more than a pair of pants required by the school. Because for my kids to show their "individuality" they can't just be any old pair of jeans. They have to be "IN STYLE"!!!
Now as far as the teachers are concerned, I agree that they should be subject to uniforms as well.
In the words of Harumph, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander"!
Steve

Galion, OH

#25 Aug 22, 2011
Well i been on the phone with everyone from the superintendent (who wasn't in her office, wonder why) to the principle who took the blunt end of my complaint. I do not agree with this policy and i was told that if my child doesn't conform then the will not educate him. The law states we had to be notified of this 6 moths prior and i did not receive any notice. Filled out 2 applications after my phone calls. one was for Bucyrus school enrollment and the other was application for home school. Sad that i have to find other avenues of learning for my child because of a dress code.

I can also see where some parents are saying about some of the attire they see the youth of today wear. that's on the parents for allowing it and the school for not sending them home because of it. But to make others who dress their children in appropriate attire pay for those few that don't is BS.I didn't serve my country for 20 years to see my children's freedoms taken away like this. Off to call the local news and a lawyer next.
boohoo

Howard, OH

#26 Aug 30, 2011
Steve wrote:
Well i been on the phone with everyone from the superintendent (who wasn't in her office, wonder why) to the principle who took the blunt end of my complaint. I do not agree with this policy and i was told that if my child doesn't conform then the will not educate him. The law states we had to be notified of this 6 moths prior and i did not receive any notice. Filled out 2 applications after my phone calls. one was for Bucyrus school enrollment and the other was application for home school. Sad that i have to find other avenues of learning for my child because of a dress code.
I can also see where some parents are saying about some of the attire they see the youth of today wear. that's on the parents for allowing it and the school for not sending them home because of it. But to make others who dress their children in appropriate attire pay for those few that don't is BS.I didn't serve my country for 20 years to see my children's freedoms taken away like this. Off to call the local news and a lawyer next.
Your children's freedom? I went to Galion high school my sophomore year when uniforms were first being used. It was so much easier. Pick up a shirt, pants, belt, ect. It was easy. And it did deflect attention from the "higher class students" whose parents spoiled them to no end. It was nice. Uncomfortable though? No, they weren't uncomfortable. I still wore my uniform clothes outside of school because of how comfortable they were. Don't complain about your kids not being able to express themselves. Be glad they're not dressing like sluts and gang bangers. I wouldn't change the dress code and I lived it. I turned out just fine, your kids will also I promise.
Galionstuden

Galion, OH

#28 Feb 18, 2014
What's annoying is they think that uniforms will put our appearances on the same level. But people still judge because of features. Such as weight, facial features and many othe things. Uniforms do help. And they are easier to wear. Kids don't have to go through finding clothes for the next day because they're already picked out. I'm not a big fan of the uniforms, but I do appreciate them trying. And all of you complaining about the uniforms can shush because at least we're not going around wearing slut shorts and a tank top up to your belly button.
Kudos

Dunbarton, NH

#29 Mar 24, 2014
12_years_experience wrote:
I endured 12 years of private school and 12 years of uniforms. The idea of uniforms in larger cities and larger schools is a good thing as an attempt to place all kids on the same level. However, I attended St Peter's in Mansfield with a graduating class of 55 and most of us went to school from first grade on as most Galion students have. In this situation, the students already know who lives in the good/bad parts of town, who has money and who doesn't. You can't even out the pecking order of students when everyone already knows each other. The uniforms work much better in large schools where it's impossible to know everyone and the uniforms do disguise the haves from the have nots. However, scantily dressed girls were not a problem in my day and I can see where uniforms solve this problem. I do have to give Galion koodos because these kids have 5 times the options of what to wear than I did.
You went to St. Pete's and so you should know the correct term is 'kudos', not 'koodos', as any prep school grad would know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Galion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Morrow County Man Sentenced For Aggravated Murder (Nov '08) 6 hr Cristopher Owens 91
sarah robertson? Tue anonymous 7
Debate: Marijuana - Mansfield, OH (Aug '10) Jul 24 Caruso 54
Mansfield a bad town? Jul 18 Tire man 3
Westnghouse paid tuition wasn't paid! Jul 14 Shocked and Bewil... 1
horny Jul 14 lol 3
News Big 4 Depot Revitalization Jun '15 Finn 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Galion Mortgages