Galion students, parents deal with ne...

Galion students, parents deal with new dress code

There are 26 comments on the News Journal story from Aug 30, 2007, titled Galion students, parents deal with new dress code. In it, News Journal reports that:

“The goal is that kids come to school dressed appropriately and we don't have to be calling parents.”

GALION -- When the alarm clocks of hundreds of Galion City Schools students went off this week, there was no indecision about what to wear to school. via News Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pissed off parent

Auburn Hills, MI

#1 Aug 31, 2007
this is so ridiculous. galion is a small poor town where folks can't afford this. these uniforms look so hot and uncomforable. i have heard so many other folks complain about this. i work in a local retail store where we sell these and every person that has came in has been furious!
Bond James Bond

Tucson, AZ

#2 Sep 4, 2007
Look, get over it. School dress codes will get the kids in the right frame of mind to become good soldiers. Look, we gotta invade a lot of countries in the next 20 years. Bush has us on a roll now, 2 invaded and a couple more planned to be invaded soon. Look, even that Obama dude wants to invade Pakistan. So, quit moaning about dress codes, we gotta get the kids obeying orders and thinking in a uniform way. Regimentation is a good thing. In this day and age creativity in not a luxury we can afford. We gotta think more like robots now!
ex-Galionite

Greenlawn, NY

#3 Sep 6, 2007
The people of Galion need to get over themselves and start investing in the future of the community and its children. Uniforms will help the educational endeavors of the students by putting all students on the same appearance level. This levels the socioeconomic field in an outward way while the students are in school. In addition, I'm sure the clothes and shoes the students really want to wear are probably more expensive and many more peices of outfits would have to be bought. In the long run, the uniform will save parents money. And there is also a choice of several items to wear. If so many parents are furious, they should have attended the well publicized public meetings on the campus wear instead of complaining about it after it went into effect. As a former GHS teacher, I am ecstatic that the schools instated this so teachers can focus on TEACHING instead of enforcing dress codes.
military mind

Tucson, AZ

#4 Sep 6, 2007
I agree with Bond. We gotta get the kids thinking regimentation, following orders without question, and creating a one mind like attitude.
We gotta be thinking more like robots now. Free thinking is just not a luxury we can afford anymore. We should have a constitutional ammendant forcing all kids into uniforms, even after school.
12_years_experie nce

Marion, OH

#5 Sep 9, 2007
I endured 12 years of private school and 12 years of uniforms. The idea of uniforms in larger cities and larger schools is a good thing as an attempt to place all kids on the same level. However, I attended St Peter's in Mansfield with a graduating class of 55 and most of us went to school from first grade on as most Galion students have. In this situation, the students already know who lives in the good/bad parts of town, who has money and who doesn't. You can't even out the pecking order of students when everyone already knows each other. The uniforms work much better in large schools where it's impossible to know everyone and the uniforms do disguise the haves from the have nots. However, scantily dressed girls were not a problem in my day and I can see where uniforms solve this problem. I do have to give Galion koodos because these kids have 5 times the options of what to wear than I did.
Shelbrat

Richwood, OH

#6 Sep 26, 2007
I am a parent of Galion student and I dooooooo not approve of the dress uniforms.. I understand why but come on this is a public school if I wanted my student to wear an uniform I would have enrolled her in Saint Joes Catholic school or the christian school..

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#7 Sep 27, 2007
I am a Galion parent and I actually like the uniforms. It's kind of refreshing to go to the High School and not see childrens butts, bellies and everything else. And I have to agree that if you didn't like the idea you should have attended the meetings on it. Now they can stop worrying about who's wearing what and concentrate on school work.
A parent

Edison, NJ

#8 Oct 7, 2007
I agree with sassy_not_sweet. These schools should of never gotten this bad of dressing they way they did coming to school. These kids can compain that they have to wear the uniforms but they brought it on themselves. I think they all look really nice.

beautiful gurl

Chester, PA

#9 Oct 18, 2007
i think uniform is dumb cause i already brought my kids cloths now i have to go back to buy them uniform i just spending more money.
Jazzy

Chester, PA

#10 Oct 18, 2007
i think dat that uniform is ugly.... children already get teased about their cloths n now u want them to get it even worst. I think that my child should be able to express her emotions with her clothing. children now a days are getting no respect so the least we can do is give them the one thing that they yearn for the most....n this their unique sense of style
beautiful gurl

Chester, PA

#11 Oct 18, 2007
i think your right about that
beautiful gurl

Chester, PA

#12 Oct 18, 2007
i dont like the dresscode @ all its dumb u already have to go to school now this
iveheardenough

Bradenton, FL

#13 Oct 25, 2007
maybe if parents did not let their children dress like prostitutes and such, schools would not have to enact a dress code.
wow-people

Marion, OH

#16 Sep 10, 2008
WOW!! I can only guess by some of the grammar and spelling errors that alot of the people digressing the uniform issue, spent more time deciding what they should wear to school, and what everybody else had on, than actually learning in class. The uniforms are great.I don't know how my son could pay attention in class when I saw what some of the girls were wearing to class. It's also up to the parents to supervise what their kids were wearing and the teachers and principals to enforce it. Both parties were at fault. I also had a teacher comment to me that she actually did judge her students by what they wore, the uniforms helped her to get over that. She teaches at the Galion Middle School.Sad, I know, but it's a reality.
Voicing my Opion

Mount Vernon, OH

#17 Sep 14, 2008
I live here in Galion my 3 grandkids go to the Campus & 2 wears the Uniforms & one's in Preschool, The uniforms are bad ideas & some good ones.
I like the part that kids Butts, Belly's, Body piercing are not aloud & the-No holes in pants and the Pants that hang half way down a boys leg.
those are good things.
But the bad thing is Heavey set girl & boys are very concern about their looks they get made fun of as it is & the Dress code requires they tuck in their Tops, this make thing worse.
I think the Dress code could lighten up on some of this stuff.
The Elementery kids Don't need Dress codes they don't pierce their Noses or wears baggy pants.
I think if the Dress code is good enough for the Students its should apply to the Teachers & Princples.
Alot of parnets has sign a patition to change this dress code & they now have over 350 names of GALION parnets

“You know Harumph loves you”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#18 Sep 14, 2008
I think voicing is right. Make the teachers and principals wear them too. As for military up there, buddy if my kids are ever forced to think like you say, I'll be leaving the states the next day. No one should EVER have to be told what to think.
Voicing my Opion

Mount Vernon, OH

#19 Sep 19, 2008
Yes I agree with harumph, its sound like our Galion Campus is in the Military and its looks that way too----> seeing all those kids in hot uniforms they seem so unhappy, I am afraid their grade will drop because they feel supress & can't be the person they would like to be.
seriously

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 25, 2008
Ok, lets get real..... the kids actually look very nice in the campus wear......its not "uniforms", I don't know why you would think they look like they're hot in them... they're allowed to wear shorts and short sleeves, the same things they were allowed to wear before, but now the schools have air-conditioning!!! My daughter wears long sleeves almost every day because its cooler in the buildings. If a kids grade drops because of what clothes they are wearing then there is more of a problem than campus wear!!! I do agree that they could be a little less picky, like the number of buttons on a shirt........ I also agree that the staff should be wearing the same stuff, but I can't agree to the fact that they look unhappy and hot, its not even close to "military" style... they still have plenty of choices of what to wear. I'm not totally in favor of the elementary kids wearing the campus wear, but what does it hurt? If the parents and teachers would have enforced what we had as a dress code before it would never have had to come to this, but I would much rather not have to look at butt crack, belly buttons and boobs on kids.

“You know Harumph loves you”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#21 Sep 26, 2008
Its more than clothes to me. It's about being told how to dress, the uniforms cost more and they're uncomfortable. Let them wear what they want. Requirements on how they fit? Sure. I hate when it looks like they pooped their pants, or like its painted on. But whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Make the staff go out of their way like they make us parents do and force them to wear uniforms
InkGirl

Bolivar, OH

#22 Sep 27, 2008
This is ridiculous!!! I absolutely agree with campus wear. I'm so tired of seeing girls dressed like prostitutes, and boys "sagging"!! I refuse to let my boys wear their clothes like that. I DO have a say in what they wear until they are 18!!!!!!!
When kids go to school, they go to learn not to express their individuality!! They can do that after school. And for you parents who let your kids dress like this or encourage it in the name of "sytle" SHAME ON YOU. You need to be teaching your children how important it is to go to school and get an education and focus less on what they wear while they are there!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Galion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kassi Miller (May '14) Fri lammmmes 7
carl mccrea (Oct '09) Fri Bye Felicia 13
Cary Lee Bloomfield Nov 25 Anonymous 1
Galion Electric rates Nov 23 Galiondude 3
News Pine Bridge Apartment Robbed, Two Dogs Stabbed Nov '16 Zoe Regen 1
Clowns Oct '16 Sinbad 3
Trump vs Clinton 2016 Oct '16 Sinbad 2

Galion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance