Doggone Fuss Over Hotdog Stand

Full story: WQAD 14
GALESBURG, Illinois - Hold the ketchup, hold the mustard. The City of Galesburg is raising a doggone fuss over one man's hot dog stand. Read more
Stupid Democrat

New Windsor, IL

#1 May 4, 2010
I agree with the city, there is just to many businesses trying to come to Illinois and the Galesburg area. It would be better if Paul would just get on the Dole and stay home. Where does Paul think he lives? In a FREE county. He'd probably welcomed with open arms in China or Mexico. At least there he will feel right at home with all the other American jobs. Support Government Intrusion VOKE for DEMOcrook.
SAM

Aledo, IL

#2 May 4, 2010
I think this is a lil outrageous..........he has his health license and he is more than likely loved by all who get to enjoy his wonderful food and character. He has sold food at fairs for years and obviously knows what he is doing. If the mayor is a decent human being, he will go to bat for this man and help him keep his business. I visit Galesburg often and plan on trying this yummy treat next visit. Don't take away good ol' pop shops like this please! You said it has always been his dream of running this shop. I don't know about you, but I like to sleep at night, and I personally could'nt take away his dream.
What's next? The ice cream guy?
SAM

Aledo, IL

#3 May 4, 2010
The person who made those nasty comments an hour ago really seems to be out of touch......with his/her nice side and english skills.........go back to school and next time you have a thought...........let it go.
Caring

Alpha, IL

#4 May 4, 2010
I have to agree with Sam. Leave the poor guy alone. Don't Galesburg have enough revenue coming in? This guy has a dream and followed all the steps he was to do so. What is the difference in his bussiness and an ice cream truck? I can't see it. Good Luck to this guy and yes I will have to stop by and try this out with my kids also.
Retnav99

Galesburg, IL

#5 May 4, 2010
Paul, has his health license, and the city did grant him a License to sell, did they not know about the 20 year old law on the books, they were told he had a mobile unit to start with. I would bet this man pays his state sales taxes unlike one place in town.Com e on Galesubrg leave the man alone let him live his dream, I have served this country and seen men die, for people like him.
M Adler

Bettendorf, IA

#6 May 4, 2010
I think that with all the unemployment in the QCA, especially Galesburg, that the town would encourage any man to make a buck. I'm sure the ones that are complaining are just a bunch of fat cats that are mad because they aren't getting a cut.
Jim

United States

#7 May 4, 2010
Let the man provide for the community as long as he pays rent for the space he occupies, taxes to the city, county and state, have a restroom (handycap equip) for employes and customers and meets all the other requirements for people that own resturants. Other than that go for it.
Gburger

Galesburg, IL

#8 May 4, 2010
On the surface, sounds like an okay idea. However, some things to consider: 1. having the central park area look like a carnival every day of the week is not appealing to me; and 2. brick and mortar restaurants have invested a whole lot more into their business than this guy has in his van. Having a mobile hot dog stand take away from their business is not good for existing restaurants or potential future restaurants. The "old" ordinance (not so old in my opinion) has enough restrictions so as to strike a balance between all of these concerns. The ordinance makes it so the vendor is small so it doesn't clutter up the landscape and cannot offer the wide variety of food a real restaurant offers.
Thanks for playing

United States

#9 May 4, 2010
It's a shame a guy running a hot dog stand can't spell the product he's selling. "Weinee" painted on the vehicle? Thanks for playing.
Poster

Hayward, CA

#10 May 4, 2010
Don't feel too sorry for him, it's not all it seems!!!
69PROSS

United States

#11 May 4, 2010
Leave him alone
WOW

Galesburg, IL

#12 May 5, 2010
Thanks for all the nice comments. We appreciate it. I am the daughter of this weenie wagon. Dad had talked in person with the OFFICE OF THE CITY OF GALESBURG, prior to purchasing this wagon. He DID get the OK from them. HE did tell them it was a driveable unit. He has gotten his permit from the city, has gotten inspected by the health dept, and the fire dept.
To you 'STUPID DEMOCRAT from NEW WINDSOR.'You say there are to many businesses coming to Galesburg? WHAT. Where they at? You say he would be welcomed in China or Mexico, WHATEVER. Do you know that he retired from MAYTAG and that my brother and I lost our jobs from MAYTAG. What is wrong with someone wanting to try something new? Not a darn thing. You say 'why dont Paul get on the Dole and stay home?' You are just stating your feelings, that is fine, but your attitude towards this situation SUCKS and is STUPID. Sounds like maybe you need to get out more often and observe the jobless numbers in Galesburg....
TO THE REST OF YOU, THANK YOU, Crysal
WOW

Galesburg, IL

#13 May 5, 2010
He is selling HOT DOGS, it is a hot dog on a bun. Also, CHIPS and pop. He is not going to bankrupt a galesburg restaurant. Central parl look like a carnival? That is not what we are asking for, you are totally off the surface here. All they have to do is revise the ordinance, the CITY can inspect any and all people that may apply for a permit. Whomever you are, maybe you are on the DOWNTOWN COUNCIL that got rid of Rail Roads down on Main ST. If you have been out and about, you can see that he is in a clean vehicle. There is no WAY in this world that my dad is going to take away business from downtown restaurants. There are not many left down there anyway...
BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT...
Gburger wrote:
On the surface, sounds like an okay idea. However, some things to consider: 1. having the central park area look like a carnival every day of the week is not appealing to me; and 2. brick and mortar restaurants have invested a whole lot more into their business than this guy has in his van. Having a mobile hot dog stand take away from their business is not good for existing restaurants or potential future restaurants. The "old" ordinance (not so old in my opinion) has enough restrictions so as to strike a balance between all of these concerns. The ordinance makes it so the vendor is small so it doesn't clutter up the landscape and cannot offer the wide variety of food a real restaurant offers.
Bozemanite

Bozeman, MT

#14 Jun 17, 2010
Can anyone give me an update?......please

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Galesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
want cock Feb '15 suejae 3
bret plue (Sep '11) Jan '15 4wheelertoo 2
Ronnie Carroll Inmate Jan '15 Guest 13
bnsf guys cheating (Feb '14) Jan '15 bbb 2
Galesburg's Gay bathouse (Nov '10) Sep '14 college20 25
Is Abingdon Historical Museum Really A Sex Dung... (Jul '13) Sep '14 MissymcC 5
Hole-In-The-Wall (Apr '13) Jun '14 Tyler 2
Galesburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web