Anger Surfaces As Lesbian Denied Communion At Mother's Funeral

Feb 29, 2012 Full story: lezgetreal.com 936

It was one act, and one phrase that made a sad day far worse for art-studio owner Barbara Johnson that much worse.

Full Story
First Prev
of 47
Next Last

Since: Aug 11

Felton, CA

#1 Feb 29, 2012
Great article.

"It was one act, and one phrase that made a sad day far worse for art-studio owner Barbara Johnson that much worse. She informed the Washington Post that Reverend Marcel Guarnizo “put his hand over the body of Christ and looked at me and said,‘I can’t give you Communion because you live with a woman, and in the eyes of the church, that is a sin.’” Never mind the fact that one adulterer by the name of Newt Gingrich is not denied communion despite being a divorced serial adulterer."

Newt broke a Commandment.

The lesbian broke no Commandment.

Such ignorance!!!!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2 Feb 29, 2012
I'd be reporting him right then and there to his bishop. This "priest" had NO right to do that, especially at her mother's funeral, which he then walked out of.
Bryan

Lacon, IL

#3 Feb 29, 2012
Denying a homosexual communion is an act of love:

<< 1 Corinthians 11:29 >>

New International Version (©1984)
For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.
New Living Translation (©2007)
For if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God's judgment upon yourself.

English Standard Version (©2001)
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

International Standard Version (©2008)
because whoever eats and drinks without recognizing the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
For whoever eats and drinks from it being unworthy, eats and drinks a guilty verdict into his soul for not distinguishing the body of THE LORD JEHOVAH.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Anyone who eats and drinks is eating and drinking a judgment against himself when he doesn't recognize the Lord's body.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

American King James Version
For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

American Standard Version
For he that eateth and drinketh, eateth and drinketh judgment unto himself, if he discern not the body.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

Darby Bible Translation
For the eater and drinker eats and drinks judgment to himself, not distinguishing the body.

English Revised Version
For he that eateth and drinketh, eateth and drinketh judgment unto himself, if he discern not the body.

Webster's Bible Translation
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh condemnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Weymouth New Testament
For any one who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgement to himself, if he fails to estimate the body aright.

World English Bible
For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy way eats and drinks judgment to himself, if he doesn't discern the Lord's body.

Young's Literal Translation
for he who is eating and drinking unworthily, judgment to himself he doth eat and drink -- not discerning the body of the Lord.

Felton, CA

#4 Feb 29, 2012
Pattysboi wrote:
I'd be reporting him right then and there to his bishop. This "priest" had NO right to do that, especially at her mother's funeral, which he then walked out of.
In the very least, it lacked compassion or love. What's more, it was crass and uncouth behavior.

Felton, CA

#5 Feb 29, 2012
Paul did not follow Leviticus, neither did Jesus.

David is a stupid troll.

Romans 14:14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#6 Feb 29, 2012
Quote: Some Catholics have said that they have seen their faith shaken over this incident. Unquote.
This incident shook their faith?'Jesus died for our sins' and the fact that the whole idea of a Christian god simply arises from history and a age-old 'good books' doesn't rattle them at all??

"God" must be laughing her socks off!

Felton, CA

#7 Feb 29, 2012
Bryan wrote:
For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.
For if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God's judgment upon yourself.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
because whoever eats and drinks without recognizing the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.
For whoever eats and drinks from it being unworthy, eats and drinks a guilty verdict into his soul for not distinguishing the body of THE LORD JEHOVAH.
Anyone who eats and drinks is eating and drinking a judgment against himself when he doesn't recognize the Lord's body.
For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
Douay-Rheims Bible
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.
Darby Bible Translation
For the eater and drinker eats and drinks judgment to himself, not distinguishing the body.
English Revised Version
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh condemnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
Weymouth New Testament
For any one who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgement to himself, if he fails to estimate the body aright.
World English Bible
For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy way eats and drinks judgment to himself, if he doesn't discern the Lord's body.
for he who is eating and drinking unworthily, judgment to himself he doth eat and drink -- not discerning the body of the Lord.
No it isn't David. It is a very hateful thing to do which lacks compassion. Compassion is a quality you also lack.

Such a pity.
Wow

New York, NY

#8 Feb 29, 2012
This is awful.
Kirk

Reading, PA

#9 Feb 29, 2012
Bryan wrote:
Douay-Rheims Bible
Darby Bible Translation
English Revised Version
Weymouth New Testament
World English Bible
Implicit in your argument is that being homosexual somehow makes one dishonorable and therefore unworthy to receive Jesus. Somehow I think that assertion is unsupported by the very teachings of Jesus.

The clergyman said "you live with a woman and the church views that as a sin" and so he denied the communion. Tell me, did he deny communion to anyone else there who was a sinner or was it this particular sin that was singled out? If the basis for refusing communion was that this person was doing something sinful then I respectfully submit that since everybody sins, communion should have been withheld from everyone.

One rule for one group and a separate rule for a another group is not religion, it's institutional bigotry.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10 Feb 29, 2012
religion = superstition.
Get over it!

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#11 Feb 29, 2012
Bryan wrote:
Denying a homosexual communion is an act of love
And pretending you're not David from Pekin is an act of stupidity, the one thing at which you obviously excel.

Felton, CA

#12 Feb 29, 2012
Kirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Implicit in your argument is that being homosexual somehow makes one dishonorable and therefore unworthy to receive Jesus. Somehow I think that assertion is unsupported by the very teachings of Jesus.
The clergyman said "you live with a woman and the church views that as a sin" and so he denied the communion. Tell me, did he deny communion to anyone else there who was a sinner or was it this particular sin that was singled out? If the basis for refusing communion was that this person was doing something sinful then I respectfully submit that since everybody sins, communion should have been withheld from everyone.
One rule for one group and a separate rule for a another group is not religion, it's institutional bigotry.
\Yes it is.
Moliner

Enterprise, AL

#13 Feb 29, 2012
If you don't want to be offended by someone else's beliefs, don't patronize their religion.

Felton, CA

#14 Feb 29, 2012
Moliner wrote:
If you don't want to be offended by someone else's beliefs, don't patronize their religion.
I suppose so. But the people who are having a funeral deserve to be treated better don't you think?
Kirk

Reading, PA

#15 Feb 29, 2012
Moliner wrote:
Yes that's true except on a very basic level beliefs and religion are not the same things.

I have a belief system but it's not a religion because my belief system is for me and by me. Religions, almost by definition, have, as a central tenet, the requirement to spread their beliefs to others and to have others conform to their belief system. My personal belief system has no such requirement.

Just remember that the last time a religion controlled the world we called it "The Dark Ages". When people started to think for themselves and question "the church" we termed that period the "Age of Enlightenment".

I respect peoples beliefs but "religion", imho, is one of mankind's worst ever inventions.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#16 Feb 29, 2012
Kirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's true except on a very basic level beliefs and religion are not the same things.
I have a belief system but it's not a religion because my belief system is for me and by me. Religions, almost by definition, have, as a central tenet, the requirement to spread their beliefs to others and to have others conform to their belief system. My personal belief system has no such requirement.
Just remember that the last time a religion controlled the world we called it "The Dark Ages". When people started to think for themselves and question "the church" we termed that period the "Age of Enlightenment".
I respect peoples beliefs but "religion", imho, is one of mankind's worst ever inventions.
Good post, but "I respect people's beliefs" raises the question of how one respects a person while rejecting or condemning their beliefs - perhaps finding their beliefs strongly objectionable.

We are not one belief or a lack of belief. I respect people, generally, but I don't necessarily respect specific beliefs of theirs. For instance, I couldn't respect someone's belief in witchcraft, telekinesis, or an Abrahamic god. However, they may do more charity work and be a more interesting and engaging character than me. So one can respect someone whilst being extremely scornful of beliefs that seem important to them, or even seem to 'define them'.

What about people who are racist in their speech, but otherwise quite honest, helpful and hard-working? Respect is a matter of degree and has to be earned. It is not something one simply has or hasn't. Criminals?- One might still have respect for their human rights while finding their beliefs quite immoral.

I respect people who are religious, but I regard religious beliefs as harmful.

I don't feel respect for people's religious beliefs.
Mitt s Dead Jew Baptism

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Feb 29, 2012
Moliner wrote:
Except this bigot Priest's superiors have already said he handled the situation poorly.(Any non eligibility [sic] to receive Communion is to be handled privately beforehand.)

Guess you should be leaving the RCC, by your own posted (i.e., lying) standards.

As for the 98% of adult, Catholic women in the US who have used birth control in defiance of the RCC...well, aren't they already pretty much not patronizing their religion? I think so.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#19 Feb 29, 2012
Kirk wrote:
<quoted text>
You and I are on the same page, same sentence. It was invented by people who wanted control and wealth. How could it possibly be anything other than despicable???
Moliner

Enterprise, AL

#20 Feb 29, 2012
Kirk wrote:
<quoted text>
~~ snipped ~~
Your first sentence sums up the problem with organized religion.

Your last sentence drives home that the Catholic church violates the very foundation of its existence.
Moliner

Enterprise, AL

#22 Feb 29, 2012
Mitt s Dead Jew Baptism wrote:
<quoted text>
Except this bigot Priest's superiors have already said he handled the situation poorly.(Any non eligibility [sic] to receive Communion is to be handled privately beforehand.)
Guess you should be leaving the RCC, by your own posted (i.e., lying) standards.
As for the 98% of adult, Catholic women in the US who have used birth control in defiance of the RCC...well, aren't they already pretty much not patronizing their religion? I think so.
I don't, and never have, belonged to the RCC.

I simply made an observation. Anything you inferred beyond that is your problem, like the assumption I belong to the RCC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 47
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gaithersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montgomery County Council bills address HOA, co... Dec 9 Gerald Vonberger 1
Navigating the Holidays When You Have Depression Dec 7 marywarner777 2
Review: Capital Dentistry Dec 4 Luiz 1
Trial date set for man accused of kidnapping Ju... Nov 25 Audrey Creighton 3
Muhammad Mike Aazami is a deadly pedophile livi... Nov 23 Anonymous 1
Passports, Driver's licenses, ID cards: many.ty... Nov 21 joilianna Guil 1
Review: MKZ ACCOUNTING SERVICES (Sep '13) Nov '14 Felicity 3
Gaithersburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web