GvilleMama

Gainesville, VA

#4628 Apr 6, 2013
My money is on Maaza 29 being an Ethiopian restaurant. Those associated with the license are Ethiopian. Maaza is also an Ethiopian word. I don't know what it means though.
Sarah

Bristow, VA

#4629 Apr 7, 2013
Ethiopian would be interesting.

I had always meant to try Zed's in Haymarket, but never got around to it. That was such a bad location for a restaurant.:(

Since: May 08

Gainesville, VA

#4630 Apr 7, 2013
GvilleMama wrote:
My money is on Maaza 29 being an Ethiopian restaurant. Those associated with the license are Ethiopian. Maaza is also an Ethiopian word. I don't know what it means though.
Clearly I don't speak Ethiopian, but when I googled Maaza and Ethiopian it seemed to indicate the Ethiopian spelling is Maza or Meaza. The spelling Maaza seems to be associated with India (on google at least). But what do I know. I certainly would welcome Ethiopian food, but I REALLY am hoping for an Indian restaurant if not here then in the Promenade or somewhere else closs...
AmyB

Gainesville, VA

#4631 Apr 7, 2013
I doubt a restaurant would name itself after a drink.

Gainesville, VA

#4632 Apr 7, 2013
AmyB wrote:
I doubt a restaurant would name itself after a drink.
Apparently the drink was named after the word "Enjoy" which would also be a good name for a restaurant.

What does "Maaza" or "Maza/Meaza" mean in Ethiopian?

Gainesville, VA

#4633 Apr 7, 2013
Gainesville Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently the drink was named after the word "Enjoy" which would also be a good name for a restaurant.
What does "Maaza" or "Maza/Meaza" mean in Ethiopian?
Ok, in an "origins of names" website Maaza also means "a pleasant scent, usually from a yellow daisy popular in Ethiopia." So Ethiopian food looks like a good guess.

Ethiopian or Indian, either way a new style of food should be available in Gainesville soon...

Since: Jan 08

Haymarket, VA

#4634 Apr 9, 2013
I would love an Ethiopian place. We love that food!!! We were regulars at Zed's. I agree either way would be good-Indian or Ethiopian.

Location hidden

#4635 Apr 10, 2013
Well, looks like we won't be getting Caribou Coffee in The Promenade. At least it won't be under hte Caribou name anymore. If we still get something it might be Peet's Coffee and Tea. Wonder if the one in Bristow will close or just rebrand.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/business/caribo...
Former Resident

Fairfax, VA

#4636 Apr 10, 2013
Vint Hill Guy wrote:
Well, looks like we won't be getting Caribou Coffee in The Promenade. At least it won't be under hte Caribou name anymore. If we still get something it might be Peet's Coffee and Tea. Wonder if the one in Bristow will close or just rebrand.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/business/caribo...
I always liked the rustic, western feel of Caribou over whatever Starbucks portrays to be, but the bubble years did see hyperactivity in the coffee chain business, and I think this is reality finally catching up.
KenL

Gainesville, VA

#4637 Apr 10, 2013
PADS

Gainesville, VA

#4638 Apr 10, 2013
@KenL Interestingly no photos of any pads - makes you wonder if Peterson has signed any pads at all.

Location hidden

#4639 Apr 11, 2013
It is amazing to me that there will be 14 screens at the new Regal theater. The building itself doesn't look very large, so I'm guessing each individual screen room is going to be pretty small. Maybe just one large screen for the RPX theater.
E-Reta

Herndon, VA

#4640 Apr 11, 2013
Maaza 29 is going to be a casual dining restaurant serving Italian Ethiopian and American fares, the concept is fresh, so fresh there are no walkin freezers ( no frozen or canned food).... what you eat is sourced and prepared fresh from scratch with herbs and spices true to its region, in a warm and friendly envioronment. drinks specilities will be the singlemalt scotch and Belgian trappist ales, coffee is directly imported from Ethiopia. opening is scheduled for late april early may. need more information you are welcome to stop by.
Gainesville Guy wrote:
Not 100% sure what this is yet but I'm HOPING maybe it is an Indian restaurant. "Maaza 29" is applying for a liquour license in what looks to be Gainesville Square, and "Maaza" I believe is an Indian soft drink of some sort which is why I'm hoping it is an Indian restaurant. Looks like they have a website now but no information on it yet:
http://maaza29.com/
Crossing my fingers, as I've been waiting for an Indian restaurant out here for YEARS now...
ftbss

Gainesville, VA

#4641 Apr 11, 2013
Does anyone know the name of the new business being built near Jiffy lube car center and Gainesville tire and auto? Drove by today and it looks like it may be a restaurant of some kind. Thanks

Location hidden

#4642 Apr 11, 2013
Yes, that is the new McD's. And, I believe right next to it will be a sort of strip mall with a Auto Parts store in it, can't remember which one.

Location hidden

#4643 Apr 11, 2013
Sorry, actually looks like it will be a bank next to the MCD's with Auto parts store behind.
http://www.silvercommercialbrokerage.com/wp-c...
Lauren

Bristow, VA

#4644 Apr 11, 2013
Does anyone know what the new construction is on Linton Hall near the Gainesville Ballet?

Gainesville, VA

#4645 Apr 11, 2013
E-Reta wrote:
Maaza 29 is going to be a casual dining restaurant serving Italian Ethiopian and American fares, the concept is fresh, so fresh there are no walkin freezers ( no frozen or canned food).... what you eat is sourced and prepared fresh from scratch with herbs and spices true to its region, in a warm and friendly envioronment. drinks specilities will be the singlemalt scotch and Belgian trappist ales, coffee is directly imported from Ethiopia. opening is scheduled for late april early may. need more information you are welcome to stop by.
<quoted text>
Sounds great good luck! I think your location is much better than Zed's but another mistake I thought Zed's made was not having a kid's menu. Don't forget lots of parents that would love to eat Ethiopian have kids that demand boring kids meals. Reality of Gainesville that I'm not sure Zed's understood...
gville dude

Gainesville, VA

#4646 Apr 11, 2013
E-Reta wrote:
<quoted text>
what is the exact location/shopping center of this place?

Gainesville, VA

#4647 Apr 11, 2013
gville dude wrote:
<quoted text>
what is the exact location/shopping center of this place?
It's in "Gainesville Square" which is the small strip on 29 with Nora's and Volcano...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charity Bike Ride October 11th to Support Serve... Wed gwarnock 1
Tree sales to benefit SIDS organization (Dec '08) Sep 13 Cricket 3
Kentucky robbed tonight at Swamp Sep 13 Perception is Rea... 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sep 13 Tony 1,358
Bristow man faces sodomy, rape charges (May '12) Sep 6 YOU ARE WRONG 31
looking for preschool (Aug '11) Sep 2 Jesie 20
Police motorcycle competition revs up for a goo... Aug 31 Gregg 1
•••
•••
•••

Gainesville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Gainesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE