New Towncenter in Gainesville VA
Amy

Gainesville, VA

#4650 Apr 15, 2013
Gainesville Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds great good luck! I think your location is much better than Zed's but another mistake I thought Zed's made was not having a kid's menu. Don't forget lots of parents that would love to eat Ethiopian have kids that demand boring kids meals. Reality of Gainesville that I'm not sure Zed's understood...
Oh how I wish restaurants would stop trying to feed my kids "boring kids meals"! My kids would jump at the chance to eat something different at a restaurant. If you are an ethnic restaurant, then you should be offering ethnic choices on the kids' menu along with the required boring items for those who only feed their kids chicken fingers and mac & cheese.
Nancy

Washington, DC

#4651 Apr 15, 2013
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh how I wish restaurants would stop trying to feed my kids "boring kids meals"! My kids would jump at the chance to eat something different at a restaurant. If you are an ethnic restaurant, then you should be offering ethnic choices on the kids' menu along with the required boring items for those who only feed their kids chicken fingers and mac & cheese.
I work in a fine dining restaurant, and we tell our customers that they can order half portions off the menu items. Might be worth a try to ask.
Bill

Falls Church, VA

#4652 Apr 15, 2013
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be knockin the boring chicken and mac n cheese. Most Ethiopian kids would jump at the chance to eat chicken fingers and mac & cheese.

Since: May 08

Gainesville, VA

#4653 Apr 15, 2013
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yeah I knew there would be a "mother of the year" posting in response how their kids don't eat chicken fingers etc. My kids are pretty adventurous (for example they love sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.) but it took them a little while until they embraced some of it. Kids' reaction to flavors can be unpredictable sometimes and while they get used to new foods it can help if they have something they know they like on the menu.

You can continue being mother of the year and lecture us all about how ethnic restaurants shouldn't cater to "boring kids meals" but I was just giving them an idea to potentially increase their business. Zed's didn't have boring kids meals and Zeds is no longer there. Location was in my opinion only part of it.

Gainesville, VA

#4654 Apr 15, 2013
Gainesville Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yeah I knew there would be a "mother of the year" posting in response how their kids don't eat chicken fingers etc. My kids are pretty adventurous (for example they love sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.) but it took them a little while until they embraced some of it. Kids' reaction to flavors can be unpredictable sometimes and while they get used to new foods it can help if they have something they know they like on the menu.
You can continue being mother of the year and lecture us all about how ethnic restaurants shouldn't cater to "boring kids meals" but I was just giving them an idea to potentially increase their business. Zed's didn't have boring kids meals and Zeds is no longer there. Location was in my opinion only part of it.
By the way after reading your post again I think I misread it. If you only meant maybe add some ethnic versions of kids meals alongside the normal kids fare, that I can agree with. So sorry for the snappy response earlier I at first saw it as a parenting lecture...

Location hidden

#4655 Apr 16, 2013
Looks like a place called Sakura Grill is coming to the Haymarket Village Center. Not sure if this is part of the Sakura Japanese Steakhouses which are in the area, in Woodbridge, Fairfax and the such or if this is just a stand alone. So, only 2 more spaces to lease there and it will be 100%. Just goes to show how being outside of the Town of Haymarket tax district can make a difference. The Strip shopping mall which was supposed to be built by the CVS will probably never happen being inside that boundary. Especially since Haymarket Village West has still yet to be built. Any new lease would probably locate there.
Former Resident

Herndon, VA

#4656 Apr 16, 2013
Vint Hill Guy wrote:
So, only 2 more spaces to lease there and it will be 100%. Just goes to show how being outside of the Town of Haymarket tax district can make a difference. The Strip shopping mall which was supposed to be built by the CVS will probably never happen being inside that boundary. Especially since Haymarket Village West has still yet to be built. Any new lease would probably locate there.
Yup, you're referring to what was supposed to be the "Shoppes at Haymarket". http://www.jbgr.com/images/inner/properties/T...

I was saying the same thing a couple months ago here myself. Haymarket Village Center manages to fill up with tenants just months after it opens and meanwhile 3 years later, the pads by CVS still sit empty. There has to be a reason for that and my guess was it had a lot to do with the town. Not only are you paying a different (I'm guessing higher) tax rate, but if you follow anything the town does you know their Architectural Review Board views that end of the town as their "Gateway", and are HUGE nitpickers when it comes to design. McDonalds and Sheetz are trying to renovate their buildings and have probably just about had it having to send their reps to the board meeting every month with revised design drawings to placate the busybodies on the board.
Haianajsisjsbaks i

Bristow, VA

#4657 Apr 16, 2013
I know someone who works for LFJ (companies building it) and they said a lot of small shops and restaurants, with a water fountain pool and a movie theatre coming after
KenL

Gainesville, VA

#4658 Apr 16, 2013
Haianajsisjsbaksi wrote:
I know someone who works for LFJ (companies building it) and they said a lot of small shops and restaurants, with a water fountain pool and a movie theatre coming after
Coming after what?

Location hidden

#4659 Apr 17, 2013
Haianajsisjsbaksi wrote:
You are obviously confused about which project we were talking about. Yes, LF Jennings was awarded the contract for The Promenade, which will have all those things. We have known that for over a year. We were referring to a project in Haymarket.
Haymarket Guy

Gainesville, VA

#4660 Apr 18, 2013
Kudos to the Bull Run Observer. A few weeks ago I emailed the editor and asked that they report on where the overpass construction project on 29/55 stands. This week they answered every question that I had including how many people are working on it, timing, etc.
Abigail

Gainesville, VA

#4661 Apr 18, 2013
The Golfsmith sign is up at VA Gateway, they're moving pretty quickly.
Abigail

Gainesville, VA

#4662 Apr 18, 2013
Lauren wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone know what the new construction is on Linton Hall near the Gainesville Ballet?
wentworth green wrote:
<quoted text>
New Salon Nordine
I think she meant on the other side of the plaza, on the right if you're looking at the plaza - Salon Nordine is on the left. There is some construction equipment apparently working there right next to Gainesville Ballet.
wentworth green

Washington, DC

#4663 Apr 18, 2013
Abigail wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think she meant on the other side of the plaza, on the right if you're looking at the plaza - Salon Nordine is on the left. There is some construction equipment apparently working there right next to Gainesville Ballet.
That just looks like a service road.
Former Resident

Herndon, VA

#4664 Apr 18, 2013
Haymarket Guy wrote:
Kudos to the Bull Run Observer. A few weeks ago I emailed the editor and asked that they report on where the overpass construction project on 29/55 stands. This week they answered every question that I had including how many people are working on it, timing, etc.
Any additional info we don't already know? I think the next big milestone is this summer when they move the Route 29 traffic onto the new segment over the railroad tracks. Hopefully that's still on schedule.

One interesting thing I came across was during the Haymarket ARB meeting last night one of the board members mentioned real quick that the 66/15 interchange project might get pushed back since "funding is getting pulled". I'm not sure where this board member got their info from but I'm inclined to email VDOT and find out if it's true or not. If so that would be very disappointing.
Skeptical

Manassas, VA

#4665 Apr 18, 2013
The schedule for the 66/15 improvements has already been pushed back six months and likely will continue to get pushed back as money is siphoned of for the Bi-County Parkway.
Former Resident

Arlington, VA

#4666 Apr 18, 2013
Skeptical wrote:
The schedule for the 66/15 improvements has already been pushed back six months and likely will continue to get pushed back as money is siphoned of for the Bi-County Parkway.
Yes, taking a glance at the 66/15 project page on VDOT's website it does look like they pushed the schedule back about 6 months not too long ago, but do you have any proof to the claim that the Bi-County Parkway is stealing the funding for it?
DSW49

Washington, DC

#4667 Apr 20, 2013
What is going in next to the Mickey D's on 29?
Old Gainesville

Clinton, MD

#4668 Apr 21, 2013
ftbss wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the new business being built near Jiffy lube car center and Gainesville tire and auto? Drove by today and it looks like it may be a restaurant of some kind. Thanks
The building next to McD's will have a Verizon-Cellular Sales and an Advance Auto Parts. A bank was originally designed for the site but never came through.
Mel

Clinton, MD

#4669 Apr 26, 2013
New sign on the corner of Heathcote and Catharpin "Join Harris Teeter. Space for Lease." I've heard this rumor for a few years; guess it's really happening. Not sure we really need another Harris Teeter though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lidl's first store in D.C. region opens in Mana... Sep 1 WCB 1
Goodwill to Open Centreville Store August 5th Aug '17 DCGoodwill 1
News Police motorcycle competition revs up for a goo... (Aug '14) Jul '17 just saying 2
Victory Lakes / Bristow (Aug '06) Jun '17 youngdreamer 103
News Obama joins private golf club in Virginia Jun '17 I See the Light 21
News Joint committee takes aim at Prince William's 2... May '17 Bob Martin 1
Stepney Plantation (Dec '13) Feb '17 ringgoldlover 6

Gainesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gainesville Mortgages