New Towncenter in Gainesville VA
Gainesville Mom

Gainesville, VA

#3091 Aug 22, 2011
What people don't understand about Wal Mart is here.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmar...
Oh no

Woodbridge, VA

#3092 Aug 23, 2011
Gainesville Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone else said, they are oversized stores and suck.
This is my point. People just say they suck but offer no explanation as to WHY.
Gainesville Mom wrote:
<quoted text>Their stores are always messy. Besides, go 20 min to Manassas and there is a store. Go 20 min the other way and there is another Wal-Mart. No need for one in this area.
They've obviously done the research and are willing to spend a lot of money in the area because they think it can support another store. Again this is just people believing they are too good for wal-mart. You're not. Get over it.
Gainesville Mom wrote:
<quoted text> The roads here are bad enough and won't be able to handle the amount of traffic the store will bring.
Not their fault. Elected representatives set the transportation agenda. Other counties get new business to pay for needed road improvements...
Gainesville Mom wrote:
<quoted text>We don't need to turn this area in to another Tyson's where you can't move a few feet in less than a few minutes.
Tyson's has more wealth and jobs. Yes the traffic sucks that's why they are getting metro. Wouldn't have happened if there wasn't things there people wanted.

There are plenty of legitimate arguments against wal-mart, but nobody here has raised one yet.
Brian

Washington, DC

#3093 Aug 23, 2011
Oh no wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my point. People just say they suck but offer no explanation as to WHY.
<quoted text>
They've obviously done the research and are willing to spend a lot of money in the area because they think it can support another store. Again this is just people believing they are too good for wal-mart. You're not. Get over it.
<quoted text>
Not their fault. Elected representatives set the transportation agenda. Other counties get new business to pay for needed road improvements...
<quoted text>
Tyson's has more wealth and jobs. Yes the traffic sucks that's why they are getting metro. Wouldn't have happened if there wasn't things there people wanted.
There are plenty of legitimate arguments against wal-mart, but nobody here has raised one yet.
I'm allowed to have an opinion and my opinion is that Walmart sucks.
I am too good for Walmart.
There are enough Walmart locations in the area!
walmark sucks

Warrenton, VA

#3094 Aug 23, 2011
Here's a reason - it stinks...
NO to Wal-Mart

Upper Marlboro, MD

#3095 Aug 23, 2011
I have not heard any substantiated arguments from Walmart supporters. Oh no, for example, appears to support Walmart simply because it’s good for growth in the area. Does that mean we should support siting prisons here because that would be good for growth? And, just because it’s good for WalMart’s bottom line doesn’t mean it’s good for the surrounding neighborhoods.
Oh No also claims” Did you know they are the largest employer in the US and therefore provide more health and educational benefits to more Americans than any other company?”
Would Oh No deign to explain his/her claim that Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the face of the finding:“The opening of a Wal-Mart store reduces county-level retail employment by 150 jobs. Because Wal-Mart stores employ an average of 360 workers, this suggests that for every new retail job created by Wal-Mart, 1.4 jobs are lost as existing businesses downsize or close.” The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets -- by David Neumark (University of California-Irvine), Junfu Zhang (Clark University), and Stephen Ciccarella (Cornell University), IZA Discussion Paper No. 2545, Jan. 2007”
In terms of health benefits, How good is Walmart’s health plan, which has plan options with cheap premiums but high deductibles? Walmart’s 2011 health care offerings include cheap premiums of $32.70 per pay period for family coverage – or $850.20 per year – however, this plan has a high annual deductible of $4,400. Would Oh No care to explain?
Instead of cherrypicking what Oh No responds to, s/he could be more helpful if s/he read the article posted by G'ville Mom and refute the arguments made against Wal-mart? Make some substantiated arguments.
As a local resident, I am concerned about the crime that Wal-Mart stores attract. In the 2006 national study, "Crime and Wal-Mart - Is Wal-Mart Safe?", Wal-Mart stores were found to have experienced a significant number of police incidents. In 2004, police received 148,331 calls for service for the 551 stores examined. As a point of comparison, they had higher average rates of reported police incidents than nearby Target stores.
Here’s more food for thought:
Another study found that Wal-Mart reduces a community's level of social capital, as measured by voter turnout and the number of active community organizations. http://www.newrules.org/retail/key-studies-wa...
And counties that have gained Wal-Mart stores have fared worse in terms of family poverty rates. http://www.newrules.org/retail/key-studies-wa... .
So, the question isn’t whether we are too good for Wal-Mart; rather, do we want our community to suffer the negative economic and societal impacts that are documented above? It should be a no-brainer.
Greg in Glenkirk

Gainesville, VA

#3096 Aug 23, 2011
To be truthful, Walmart the store doesn't bother me much. This is what most people don't like:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos

Since: Jan 08

Haymarket, VA

#3097 Aug 24, 2011
Here's why I can't stand Wal-Mart.

Every single store I've ever been in - is a dump and attracts the lowest common demoninator. Filthy. I have shocking pics of the last and final time I went in one.

The worst part, that is 100% inexcusable, is that it's piled to the rafters with "Made in China" crapola - including the food. This is the number one reason I refuse to enter.

Hey, if Wal-Mart wants to have a non-Chinese slave labor section, I'm all ears.

If Wal-Mart does come - I hope the store won't be a shrine to American excess and cheapness. <<shudder>>
Wal-Mart kills Hay-Mart

Middletown, MD

#3098 Aug 24, 2011
Wal-Mart has sucked the life out of main street America. Those formally employed by main street are then forced to shop Wal-Mart's every day low prices because they can't afford anything else. Wal-Mart is a China jobs program enriching one American family -- the Waltons, worth approx $100 billion.
bigjohn

Washington, DC

#3099 Aug 24, 2011
Walmart sucks! They aren't even cheap!
Scuba Steve

Woodbridge, VA

#3100 Aug 25, 2011
I find Kohls to be pretty awful too. Their stores are trashy and there is already one in Manasty.
Gville Mama

Gainesville, VA

#3101 Aug 25, 2011
I dislike Kohl's too. Every time I've decided to buy something there, I then see the long lines at the register and say to myself,"It's not worth it." Not to mention their bag/buggy system is disgusting. Like I want to put my stuff in a bag that has bits of trash in it. Get real buggies and spend the extra $ to have more cashiers.
Bristow Homeowner

Gainesville, VA

#3102 Aug 25, 2011
Is the Grove at Gainesville different than the Market Square also being build in that area....near Giant/Super Target?
Bristow Homeowner

Gainesville, VA

#3103 Aug 25, 2011
Is
Bristow Homeowner

Gainesville, VA

#3104 Aug 25, 2011
Is the Grove at Gainesville different than the Market Square being built near target and giant?
bigjohn

Washington, DC

#3105 Aug 25, 2011
We can do better than Kohl's

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3106 Aug 26, 2011
Bristow Homeowner wrote:
Is the Grove at Gainesville different than the Market Square being built near target and giant?
Yes, The G at G is being developed by Lerner while Market Square (now called The Promenade) is being developed by Peterson Co. Both are very large development companies in the area, and of course competitors. I would say the G at G is probably on hold indefinitely, I guess waiting to see how successful The Promenade will be and if the economy will start to recover.

G at G
http://www.lernerenterprises.com/detailRetail...

The Promenade
http://marketsquaretowncenter.com/vagateway_m...
asgoodasgold

Culpeper, VA

#3107 Aug 26, 2011
Rt. 15 from Rt.29 heading north. There are planning commission signs posted on the right before you cross the rail road tracks.(I assume it is planning commission signs-I did not pull over to get details)

Anyone know the details on what this is all about? What is planed and who is developer?

This is outside the town of Haymarket?
asgoodasgold

Culpeper, VA

#3108 Aug 26, 2011
I found out. Looks like office building...."Yes, that is Hunter @ Haymarket. Attached is the information that I have on that project. It is not in the Town limits."

Here’s a link to the County’s page that has some links you might find helpful. http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx...
Scroll down and you will see where you can click on a map that shows pending hearings/developments.
ja Bristow

Haymarket, VA

#3109 Aug 27, 2011
There is a Chico's clothing store going in the empty spot near Pot Belly Sandwich Works at Atlas Walk
Sonnyboylethalst ein

Dewitt, MI

#3110 Aug 28, 2011
Haha. I noticed the G at G plan has a "Books and Music" store in it. Any developer that thinks he's going to attract a new brick and mortar book store or record store doesn't know anything about development anymore. They will all be gone in 5 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone know why Pastor Bob Perdue left GLCC? (Aug '13) Aug 24 Gary 36
Parks at Piedmont (Sep '08) Aug 15 Carlito 428
Computer Repair Service Gainesville VA Aug 4 just_find 1
66 commute Jun '16 LKA 3
Haymarket Police (Aug '09) Jun '16 Friend 18
Chantilly Music Thread May '16 Musikologist 1
News Salcedo Guilty of Larceny (Nov '08) Apr '16 Jitz 4

Gainesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance