Jury acquits gay man in Dawsonville park sex sting

Oct 4, 2008 | Posted by: StevenFL | Full story: www.sovo.com

When Shannon Wayne Phillips of Gainesville decided to take a stroll at Thompson Creek Park in Dawsonville, he didn’t know he was going to be the object of a sex sting operation being conducted by the Dawson County Sheriff’s Department. Phillips, 40, said he simply wanted to take a walk in the park at about 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 4, 2007 when a man approached him and the two struck up a conversation. Gainesville is located about 23 miles west of Dawsonville. “I went into the park to take a walk and I met someone. We talked for a while and then I walked off. Then he came back up to me, so I asked him if he was gay. And he said he was bisexual,” Phillips said. “We talked, but I had no intention of doing anything with him there. I did want to meet him later. I was coerced by officers, profiled for being a gay man in a park.”

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Oct 14, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 4, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Good. It appears the police have been 'called out' lately on entrapping gay men and the courts have been ruling in our favor. Hopefully we'll be able to hit them where it counts, in their pocket-books, and thus their crusades will stop.
Getting It On

Aledo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 4, 2008
 

Judged:

4

4

3

These sick bastard cops get their jollies doing these sting operations. Truth be known, they probably are closeted, bi-sexual homophobes. I can't tell you how many times I've got it on with a cop.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 4, 2008
 

Judged:

5

4

2

Now this situation I can honestly say I fully support the guy who was entrapped. The police clearly violated the law as well as stepped over the line of ethics. I am glad the jury saw it that way, as well.
Tom in Houston

Farmington, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 4, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

3

I'd like for the local paper to run a picture of the police officer. After all, the jury believed that he was entrapping people.
Absolute Truth

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 29, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

4

I don't like gays but I believe that "sting" operations are unconstitutional. If the police offer an illegal act then they are just as guilty as the person that accepts it.

The government has no constitutional right to entice private citizens into any illegal act.

This is just plain wrong!

“Pic of Sockett”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 29, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Exactly, I could never understand why it is okay for them to do the same thing that they are trying to stop. I am sure there are those that are doing the offering, but a police person doing it should be just a illegal as a citizen doing the offering. Whether it's drug's, sex, anything.
Absolute Truth wrote:
I don't like gays but I believe that "sting" operations are unconstitutional. If the police offer an illegal act then they are just as guilty as the person that accepts it.
The government has no constitutional right to entice private citizens into any illegal act.
This is just plain wrong!
WaterWatcher

Oakland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 29, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I used to stop in that park everyday in 2002, 2003, 2004 and gay adult men were meeting and taking it over. It got so obvious that I could no longer take my grandchildren there to feed the ducks. I reported it to the police 7 years ago, over a 2 year period, and nothing was done. I am glad they are finally patrolling it.

“Pic of Sockett”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 30, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Just to get this correct. You would go to a park, where gay's cruise, just like you are on a gay thread where gay's post. Yet, you seem to disassociate the fact you seem to be attracted to gay locations, and would take you "grandkids" there as well? I hope that is all you are doing with those kids, nasty perv.
WaterWatcher wrote:
I used to stop in that park everyday in 2002, 2003, 2004 and gay adult men were meeting and taking it over. It got so obvious that I could no longer take my grandchildren there to feed the ducks. I reported it to the police 7 years ago, over a 2 year period, and nothing was done. I am glad they are finally patrolling it.

“Pic of Sockett”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 30, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Also, not to call you out again. This park is not located anywhere near where you live. Different Gainsville, so you are trolling here, making fake statements trying to get a rise from someone. Busted.
WaterWatcher wrote:
I used to stop in that park everyday in 2002, 2003, 2004 and gay adult men were meeting and taking it over. It got so obvious that I could no longer take my grandchildren there to feed the ducks. I reported it to the police 7 years ago, over a 2 year period, and nothing was done. I am glad they are finally patrolling it.
Gainesville

Gainesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 3, 2010
 

Judged:

7

6

4

Gays or anyone for that matter shouldn't be having sex in a public park. However, police setting up stings is just as immoral or maybe more so. A sting operation is unconstitutional, however, in the nazi police state that USA is becoming you'll never get a ruling on it.

One more thing to consider though is why can't gays just have sex somewhere in private? I sure don't want to be around it. In fact anyone having sex in public is ridiculous. Get a room it's just common decency.

If cops want to arrest someone for that they just need to patrol the area and arrest anyone caught in the act.
gay police

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 9, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

3

the police love to really feel these guys up when they pat them down. never met a cop that wasn't a closet homo.

“faith in internal wisdom”

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

5

5

4

BR0DY wrote:
Just to get this correct. You would go to a park, where gay's cruise, just like you are on a gay thread where gay's post. Yet, you seem to disassociate the fact you seem to be attracted to gay locations, and would take you "grandkids" there as well? I hope that is all you are doing with those kids, nasty perv.
<quoted text>
thats what i was thinking...lmao
WaterWatcher

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 30, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

1. Thompson Creek Park was THE CLOSEST PUBLIC park on the lake to my home. It is less than 1 mile from GA 400 Dawsonville.
2. I was also a MAILMAN and this street was part of my route. It was the halfway point of 500 mailboxes I delivered, so I dismounted there - out of traffic - to move the packages for the second half to the front of the vehicle, and then continued on.
3.- who said this was a gay blog?
4.- I am not anti-gay. I have gay friends. I am anti IN PUBLIC, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, in a FAMILY park, in front of little children, any COME ON, gay or straight.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Absolute Truth wrote:
I don't like gays but I believe that "sting" operations are unconstitutional. If the police offer an illegal act then they are just as guilty as the person that accepts it.
The government has no constitutional right to entice private citizens into any illegal act.
This is just plain wrong!
WHY did you bring this up 18 months after the fact ???

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 30, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

WaterWatcher wrote:
4.- I am not anti-gay. I have gay friends. I am anti IN PUBLIC, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, in a FAMILY park, in front of little children, any COME ON, gay or straight.
You're a liar. So called "public sex" is really "furtive sex." It does not happen in broad daylight "in front of little children."

There might be gay men walking around chatting each other up or sneaking off somewhere - strictly speaking a no no - but, except to lying homophobes always trolling gay topix boards to defame gay men, no one would confuse that with a sex act itself.

You sound like you have eyes for gay men, even if you mask with the usual defense mechanisms.
krouser krebs

Savoy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 5, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. So called "public sex" is really "furtive sex." It does not happen in broad daylight "in front of little children."
There might be gay men walking around chatting each other up or sneaking off somewhere - strictly speaking a no no - but, except to lying homophobes always trolling gay topix boards to defame gay men, no one would confuse that with a sex act itself.
You sound like you have eyes for gay men, even if you mask with the usual defense mechanisms.
Didnt realy think gays were that bad til i read some of your backassward views on things.
Get Real

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 5, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

What is wrong with gays that they think they have the right to fornicate in public in front of people. That just goes to show what kind of deviant perverts they are. Homosexuality is nothing other than sick sexual perversion. They are no different than child molesters and bestiality sickos. They know it! You know it! And I know it!
krouser krebs

Savoy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 5, 2010
 
Get Real wrote:
What is wrong with gays that they think they have the right to fornicate in public in front of people. That just goes to show what kind of deviant perverts they are. Homosexuality is nothing other than sick sexual perversion. They are no different than child molesters and bestiality sickos. They know it! You know it! And I know it!
And krouser krebs knows it.
Lakehouse owner

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 9, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. So called "public sex" is really "furtive sex." It does not happen in broad daylight "in front of little children."
There might be gay men walking around chatting each other up or sneaking off somewhere - strictly speaking a no no - but, except to lying homophobes always trolling gay topix boards to defame gay men, no one would confuse that with a sex act itself.
You sound like you have eyes for gay men, even if you mask with the usual defense mechanisms.
Keep busting them. It is a PUBLIC PARK!
The perfect ghost

Savoy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 9, 2010
 
Get Real wrote:
What is wrong with gays that they think they have the right to fornicate in public in front of people. That just goes to show what kind of deviant perverts they are. Homosexuality is nothing other than sick sexual perversion. They are no different than child molesters and bestiality sickos. They know it! You know it! And I know it!
Then there are the dilusional freaks that think regular normal proper str8 men want to be with dirty old lonley gay men'Bruce' when in fact we hope for them to gofar far far away.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Gainesville Forum right now

Search the Gainesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 9 min Aggie23 49,896
Halsey siblings score Jr. Dragster wins at Comm... Mon Antonio 2
Hulsey defends septic waste operation; neighbor... (Jan '08) Jul 27 StephDad 20
Review: Agora House For MEN (Jun '13) Jul 25 Moe 29
are there any good swingers groups in gainesvil... (Aug '09) Jul 22 jay 18
Fifty Years Ago Today, July 22, 1964 Jul 22 Columbus Insider 1
Major problems with Vanilla Visa Gift Cards (Dec '09) Jul 20 aby 830
•••
•••

Gainesville News Video

•••
Gainesville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Gainesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gainesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Gainesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gainesville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••