Dangerous Crosswalk
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gainesville

Coosa, GA

#1 Feb 10, 2011
The pedestrian crosswalk in front of the Main Library is extremely dangerous for pedestrians!!!

Despite the fact that there are large signs warning drivers to stop fro all pedestrians as required by state law, along with large flashing yellow lights, drivers completely ignore the signs and illegally keep driving, refusing to give the right-of-way to the pedestrian (who legally has the right-of-way.)

I have seen small children nearly struck by cars in that crosswalk and once I saw an elderly man stuck in the middle of the road as vehicles in both lanes flew by, meanwhile the flashing yellow lights were on.

I have notified the Gainesville Police Chief about this extremely hazardous situation but have not see any sign of police at the site enforcing the law.

If something is not done to remedy this someone is going to be seriously injured or killed. I fear that it could be a child, as this crosswalk is often used by kids coming to the library from Gainesville High School and Middle School.(I have witnessed them dodging traffic while in this crosswalk.)
Gainesville

Coosa, GA

#2 Feb 10, 2011
oh by the way...that is the Main Library in Gainesville and the crosswalk is on West Academy next to where it intersects with Main St. and Northside Dr.

DUB

Since: Mar 08

North East Ga

#3 Feb 11, 2011
SOunds like you may want to turn your head and look before crossing. As cars must yield to pedestrians, pedestrians are also required to enter the roadway with care. You can't just step out because a crosswalk is there. The blame is not always the driver's.
just sayin

Vidalia, GA

#4 Feb 12, 2011
I'm a little puzzled...why are you posting stuff about Gainesville on the Clarkesville site?

DUB

North East Ga

#5 Feb 13, 2011
just sayin wrote:
I'm a little puzzled...why are you posting stuff about Gainesville on the Clarkesville site?
It would seem that someone posted a story about Gainesville in the Clarksville forum. I bet if you look it was roboblogger!!!! Maybe We could ask you why your commenting on a Gainesville topic if your from Clarksville? Quit being foolish, I'm just sayin.
Gainesville

Coosa, GA

#6 Feb 14, 2011
This IS the Gainesville, GA site!!!!

Oh believe my I try to be very careful when crossing at that designated pedestrian crosswalk. I always push the button that starts the large overhead flashing lights. I watch for traffic before setting out across the road. A few drivers obey the law there. The city school buses certainly come to a stop when a pedestrian is present. But most drivers disobey the law and do not stop or even slow down.

The problem usually occurs once the pedestrian is well into the road that some driver does not stop. I have seen children nearly struck by cars, Mothers with strollers and once an elderly man stuck in the middle cars speeding by in both directions and on each of the occasions the yellow flashing lights were ON!!!

State law REQUIRES all vehicles to stop at this crosswalk. The pedestrian has the right-of-way. If a driver strikes a pedestrian in that crosswalk they will face criminal charges along with a very nasty civil suit on which they will have no defense!

In several metro counties the police and district attorneys have become very serious with enforcing the state cross walk law.

The Gainesville City police chief assured me that he plans to get serious at this particular crosswalk and enforce the law.

Like a said many kids from Gainesville High & Middle School use that crosswalk along with families who use the library and then go to the park across the street.

I sure hate to see it take a fatality to get drivers to obey the law!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

DUB

North East Ga

#7 Feb 17, 2011
Gainesville wrote:
This IS the Gainesville, GA site!!!!
Oh believe my I try to be very careful when crossing at that designated pedestrian crosswalk. I always push the button that starts the large overhead flashing lights. I watch for traffic before setting out across the road. A few drivers obey the law there. The city school buses certainly come to a stop when a pedestrian is present. But most drivers disobey the law and do not stop or even slow down.
The problem usually occurs once the pedestrian is well into the road that some driver does not stop. I have seen children nearly struck by cars, Mothers with strollers and once an elderly man stuck in the middle cars speeding by in both directions and on each of the occasions the yellow flashing lights were ON!!!
State law REQUIRES all vehicles to stop at this crosswalk. The pedestrian has the right-of-way. If a driver strikes a pedestrian in that crosswalk they will face criminal charges along with a very nasty civil suit on which they will have no defense!
In several metro counties the police and district attorneys have become very serious with enforcing the state cross walk law.
The Gainesville City police chief assured me that he plans to get serious at this particular crosswalk and enforce the law.
Like a said many kids from Gainesville High & Middle School use that crosswalk along with families who use the library and then go to the park across the street.
I sure hate to see it take a fatality to get drivers to obey the law!
Should we go paragraph by paragraph or would you like a resounding "wrong" to cover the whole post. State law is very clear that the pedestrian is just as responsible for crossing as the vehicles. But seems you refuse to acknowledge that. So lets try this approach.. the crosswalk has been there for over 12 years and in 12 years no one has been killed and I would bet there have been very few people hit. You can look up location statistics on line for fatality accidents, so I wouldn't say it qualifies as a dangerous intersection. Not when we have roads where people are struck on a regualr basis because of, guess what? Pedestrian error. Seems you have made this a personal campaign and I applaud your efforts. It is an example of trying to make things better. But I would wager to guess that the police chief promised to make an extra effort to monitor that location after a nasty and threatening letter or phone call was made. And that was probably not the first call. The first call was more than likely cordial and polite and saw no answer or results. SO you think the second will. The chief promised what you wanted and I can promise you that he will not be the one out monitoring the intersection. He will assign the lowest men on the ladder to go out and enforce his promises. Hold your breath and see how long it takes overworked and underpaid people to make good of the promises you were made. You want to improve the pedestrian safety at that location, lobby for the crosswalk to be moved 50 yards in either direction to a intersection with a stop light. Or better yet, just walk the extra 50 yards and cross at the traffic light.
THE FACTS

Atlanta, GA

#8 Feb 17, 2011
State law REQUIRES ALL VEHICLES TO STOP IF A PEDESTRIAN IS IN THE CROSSWALK! PERIOD! Police Chief Kelly verified this fact! The Municipal Court Judge verified this fact! The sign above the crosswalk states this fact!(There is a large on each road side button to turn the large overhead yellow flashing lights...I always turn those on first, let any car already entering the section pass and then enter the crosswalk when it is safe.) Once a pedestrian is safely in that crosswalk that pedestrian has the right of way...all vehicles must stop and yield the right of way.

Many metro Atlanta municipalities are doing sting operations at these type of crosswalks! WAGA-TV did an expose on just these crosswalks. I know of two more crosswalks that of this nature in Gainesville. One on Broad Street and one over at West By-Pass by the GHS Rock.

Certainly I do not want to test fate and step into the path of a 2 ton vehicle! But when I am already halfway or so across the road, the yellow lights overhead are flashing and a car speeds into the crosswalk almost striking me (getting out of the way) that driver IS breaking the law! I am NOT!!!!! Got it! I understand the law very well!

And as for the traffic light up the street, drivers are just about as bad. Drivers make turns with pedestrians in those crosswalks who are crossing with the white walk light on.

Not all drivers disobey the law. There are those that respect and obey the law but we have far too many who refuse to.

And as for the crosswalk in front of the library there have been very near misses. I am eye witness to a mother and 2 children that came very close to being hit as a car skidded breaking to avoid them. They were in the crosswalk legally - the yellow lights flashing and already 2/3 of the way across the road.

I am not talking about jaywalkers, which we have plenty of, especially on Browns Bridge Road, Jesse Jewell Parkway, E.E. Butler and downtown.

And I have seen the Gainesville police parked at the triangle building watching the crosswalk at the library.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Reality Check

Coosa, GA

#9 Feb 18, 2011
Drivers are in too much of a hurry to heed the signs! Gainesville has the worst drivers in Georgia.

DUB

North East Ga

#10 Feb 21, 2011
THE FACTS wrote:
State law REQUIRES ALL VEHICLES TO STOP IF A PEDESTRIAN IS IN THE CROSSWALK! PERIOD! Police Chief Kelly verified this fact! The Municipal Court Judge verified this fact! The sign above the crosswalk states this fact!(There is a large on each road side button to turn the large overhead yellow flashing lights...I always turn those on first, let any car already entering the section pass and then enter the crosswalk when it is safe.) Once a pedestrian is safely in that crosswalk that pedestrian has the right of way...all vehicles must stop and yield the right of way.
Many metro Atlanta municipalities are doing sting operations at these type of crosswalks! WAGA-TV did an expose on just these crosswalks. I know of two more crosswalks that of this nature in Gainesville. One on Broad Street and one over at West By-Pass by the GHS Rock.
Certainly I do not want to test fate and step into the path of a 2 ton vehicle! But when I am already halfway or so across the road, the yellow lights overhead are flashing and a car speeds into the crosswalk almost striking me (getting out of the way) that driver IS breaking the law! I am NOT!!!!! Got it! I understand the law very well!
And as for the traffic light up the street, drivers are just about as bad. Drivers make turns with pedestrians in those crosswalks who are crossing with the white walk light on.
Not all drivers disobey the law. There are those that respect and obey the law but we have far too many who refuse to.
And as for the crosswalk in front of the library there have been very near misses. I am eye witness to a mother and 2 children that came very close to being hit as a car skidded breaking to avoid them. They were in the crosswalk legally - the yellow lights flashing and already 2/3 of the way across the road.
I am not talking about jaywalkers, which we have plenty of, especially on Browns Bridge Road, Jesse Jewell Parkway, E.E. Butler and downtown.
And I have seen the Gainesville police parked at the triangle building watching the crosswalk at the library.
How many names do you plan to use?
You seem to have this over inflated opinion of yourself and your actions. You can't accept that myabe...just maybe, you may be wrong about the opinions you've expressed.
As far as your verified facts... since you made a point to list named sources.. I can tell you that per Georgia Official Code, a pedestrian only has the right of way.
40-6-91. Right of way in crosswalks

(a) The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For the purposes of this subsection, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel.

(b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.

(c) Subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply under the conditions stated in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-6-92.

(d) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

So, for example, if you enter the crosswalk on the east side of the road, vehicles traveling on the west side of the roadway don't have to stop if you are still in the east lane. The code section clearly states that the vehicles have the right of way at certain times even if you are within the cross walk.
Instead of becoming angry, you might want to research the matter slightly, or at least verify what someone tells you before you qoute them here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gainesville

Flowery Branch, GA

#11 Feb 22, 2011
Dub you still don't even comprehend the Georgia Official Code do you moron? You are still the nerdy pencil neck weasel that has trolled this board for years. No one really cares what you think.
Gainesville

United States

#12 Feb 22, 2011
Gainesville wrote:
Dub you still don't even comprehend the Georgia Official Code do you moron? You are still the nerdy pencil neck weasel that has trolled this board for years. No one really cares what you think.
You must.
Reality

Coosa, GA

#13 Feb 23, 2011
A car driving into the path of a pedestrian in that crosswalk is breaking the law. That code backs that up!

However, if that pedestrian is Dub please run over him and flatten that sucker. I am sure that any local officials and residents would say it wasn't your fault! ha ha You would have just done the community a favor!
Gainesville

Flowery Branch, GA

#14 Feb 24, 2011
WRONG YOU ARE DUD! That particular crosswalk does not follow the general law. There is even a sign (in case YOU have a problem reading it DUD!) That specifically states that you are to stop of a pedestrian is in the crosswalk!

DUB

North East Ga

#15 Feb 24, 2011
Gainesville wrote:
WRONG YOU ARE DUD! That particular crosswalk does not follow the general law. There is even a sign (in case YOU have a problem reading it DUD!) That specifically states that you are to stop of a pedestrian is in the crosswalk!
So you're saying that the law doesn't apply to that one crosswalk? So if the law doesn't apply, how can you enforce the pedestrian law? There is no special law for special crosswalks. Every crosswalk falls under that law. Unless you can find another law that aplies then your statement is completely ignorant of the facts. Every crosswalk falls under the same law, and it gives pedestrians the right of way in certain cases and it gives drivers the right of way in others. It's a simple case with a simple answer. Again, find that special law that applies and I'll concede I was wrong, however there is no city, county, or state staute that contradicts what I posted earlier.
Reality

Flowery Branch, GA

#16 Feb 26, 2011
Dud you really are stupid! It is SIMPLE....the sign says STOP if a pedestrian is in the croswalk. There are even flashing yellow lights to warn drivers. If the fail to cede the right-of-way to the pedestrian which is already in the crosswalk they are breaking Georgia state law.

"All crosswalks fall under that law" WRONG dummy!

That's why you are no lawyers but a frustrated nowhere low level bureaucrat.

DUB

North East Ga

#17 Feb 27, 2011
Reality wrote:
Dud you really are stupid! It is SIMPLE....the sign says STOP if a pedestrian is in the croswalk. There are even flashing yellow lights to warn drivers. If the fail to cede the right-of-way to the pedestrian which is already in the crosswalk they are breaking Georgia state law.
"All crosswalks fall under that law" WRONG dummy!
That's why you are no lawyers but a frustrated nowhere low level bureaucrat.
Ok, so you're saying that a sign supercedes the law. The law says that the driver must only yield to a person in the crosswalk that is in the half of the road that the car is in. That's all it says. It would have been kind of hard to write the enitire law on that small sign. A sign is just a sign, it is not a law or code that prohibits actions. You have this idea that because a sign exist that it can be enforced as a law.
As a matter of fact the signs that the city has placed are not in compliance with the state law for a traffic control device or roadway directional device.
Again, you have no comprehension of what you have read.
But as I said before, point out where any law or ordinance contradicts this, or better yet call the city and see if any citations have been written as you were promised by the Chief of Police. I bet you're going to find that none have been.
Bridge be damned

Carrollton, GA

#18 Mar 6, 2011
Looks like the city council has it figured out, build another bridge. Eventually we may have a network of bridges to protect the all important pedestrian. And who get's to pay for it? We all do. Maybe it would be cheaper if we just gave them all Red Rabbit passes. Then at least the buses would look full, and that was all Councilman Wangerman wants, to look like things are good.
Gainesville

Coosa, GA

#19 Mar 8, 2011
The Gainesville Chief of Police has been very cooperative on the crosswalk problem and I have personally seen Gainesville police cars sitting at various locations in that area such as the 'triangle' building. And yes Georgia State Law does REQUIRE all vehicles to stop once a pedestrian is in that crosswalk. Just a fact! That is why the sign states so. A crosswalk just like it is over at the GHS Rock. These crosswalks are not traffic light intersection crosswalks.

I guess Dud thinks that the state of Georgia installs bogus signs...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

DUB

North East Ga

#20 Mar 8, 2011
Gainesville wrote:
The Gainesville Chief of Police has been very cooperative on the crosswalk problem and I have personally seen Gainesville police cars sitting at various locations in that area such as the 'triangle' building. And yes Georgia State Law does REQUIRE all vehicles to stop once a pedestrian is in that crosswalk. Just a fact! That is why the sign states so. A crosswalk just like it is over at the GHS Rock. These crosswalks are not traffic light intersection crosswalks.
I guess Dud thinks that the state of Georgia installs bogus signs...
ANd I guess you think the stae of Georgia installed those signs. They are made at the City of Gainesville sign shop. Installed by City of Gainesville employees, and maintained by.... you guessed it, City of Gainesville employees.So no, I don't think the state installs flawed signs. I do however beleive you believe that a sign installed as a warning is law, even if it isn't. That's straight from the City of Gainesville Administrative offices. Who did you ask that told you the state did? Or did you again, make a statement that is full of conjecture and flawed conclusions? Seems so.
Gues ol' Dub did his research and you didn't. But just a simple question, and remember I seem to have the ability to research and support my statements, How many tickets, citations, warnings, or notices have officers written? Or does it seem like maybe the cheif of police has ordered his people to sit there and those guys and girls know that what you are demanding is unlawful? Find out, because I did. Let's see if you can and then come back and tell me I'm wrong again.
Like I said, over and over, point out the law that supports your claims that all traffic must stop for any pedestrian any where in the crosswalk. I not only pointed it out, I pasted it for you to read. I asked you to simply name your source for your information that it was wrong. You named the chief of police and city court judge. But I would argue that if you did more than complain to them and actually ask them what the law says and what it means you might find out you are mistaken. Do more than make a call to demand for police to do something and actually ask them what they can do.
As for your rants and insults and name calling. Maybe it is a sign that it's the only ammunition you have when you know you can't make a legitimate point. Maybe you are just insecure. Or maybe you were raised just a little too poorly. But whatever the case, it doesn't bother me, in fact I find it quite funny. A supposedly grown adult resorting to the playground rules of the second grade. Maybe that's why you can't make point.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teens interracial dating in Gainesville (Nov '10) Oct 13 misslady 34
Elvis Lee Clark aka Ernest T Bass (Apr '12) Oct 5 Prettylady 26
Major problems with Vanilla Visa Gift Cards (Dec '09) Sep 30 Donzie 928
Georgianna Motel Sep 19 Don Rucker 1
News Barrow medical center's lawsuit says hospital d... (Mar '08) Sep '17 Stella 11
are there any good swingers groups in gainesvil... (Aug '09) Sep '17 Naomi 34
Need help finding a home for a granny, her gra... Aug '17 Annar 1

Gainesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gainesville Mortgages