Next Last
big JOHN

Cookeville, TN

#1 Oct 2, 2010
how about it do they do a good job i use to work there a long time ago
Rick Larnerd

Smartt, TN

#2 Oct 3, 2010
The police department is doing an outsanding job!
concernced

Waterloo, Canada

#3 Oct 3, 2010
Outstanding huh that's why there's more drugs than there's ever been being sold in this county..
Rick Larnerd

Smartt, TN

#4 Oct 3, 2010
Other than complaining, what are you doing to stop it? As a sidenote, the police department isn't responsible for enforcing the law in the county.
Rick Larnerd

Smartt, TN

#5 Oct 3, 2010
While the original question was directed toward the police department, I will also add here that the sheriff's department is making strides in the detection and eradication of drugs, those who deal drugs,and public safety in general.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. If you have valid information about crime, make a call.
concernced

Waterloo, Canada

#6 Oct 3, 2010
I have called and reported it numerours times and nothing is ever done about it. I'm trying to be part of the solution but the cops do nothing about it. They're to worried about chasing women and it takes 5 cops to write a speeding ticket.
FYI

Smartt, TN

#7 Oct 3, 2010
Why donít we come to your place of work and tell you what we think youíre doing wrong ďconcerncedĒ? Oh waitÖ. We probably wouldnít give a damn anyway. The police do an excellent job especially now and they donít need people like you getting on here and bitching them out for not busting the person you have oh so important tips on. If your tip had been any good then they would have followed up on it. Maybe you donít realize or perhaps you just donít think, but the police have to have something called probable cause before they can just bust into someoneís house or search their car or person, and rumors and hearsay do not count when it comes to search warrants. Sometimes itís a shame that the system ties their hands behind their back in a situation like that but laws like that are a place to protect us all. The police are not and cannot be masked vigilantes no matter how much you think they should be.

and by the way, you spelled concerned wrong.
concerned

Smartt, TN

#8 Oct 3, 2010
ya they got probable cause been to his house plenty of times but nothin ever happens. i dont break the law in any way. im a good outstanding citizen in a good community. but it sux having all this in and out traffic and needles all over the rd with all the lil kids out there playing around
FYI

Smartt, TN

#9 Oct 3, 2010
maybe you didn't understand probable cause. just because they have been to the house does not mean they have the right to search it. Furthermore, eventhough your neighbors may be into drugs that does not mean they are stupid. I'm sure they hide everything the police could see before they even make it close to the house. Most drug dealers have lookouts.
they know

Cookeville, TN

#10 Oct 4, 2010
They know who all the druggies and dealers are, as well as the underage drinkers and suppliers. They turn their heads to it unless your not part of their crowd. All law enforcement agencies need to inforce the law on everyone not just a few.
We all could start naming names, but that isn't gonna do anygood on here. If you see someone breaking the law, start reporting in to the correct officials, document what you saw and who you reported it to. Then if something isn't done, then report it to their boss, so forth and so on. It's time the citizens started standing up for their county.
Rick Larnerd

Smartt, TN

#11 Oct 7, 2010
There is an old saying that goes something like this... "It doesn't matter what the truth is. It matters what people think." The truth is, it doesn't take 5 officers to write a speeding ticket. However, if you see more than one car at a traffic stop, it's for officer safety and there isn't anything wrong with it.

When an officer reports for duty at the beginning of his/her shift, he/she has a duty, not only to the citizens he/she is sworn to protect, but to his/her family to return home safely at the end of their shift. Drugs = equal guns. That is how we are trained and that is how we react. When we make a vehicle stop, we don't know if that person just came from church or just robbed a store. We are on high alert.

While you may feel it is excessive to see more than one car at a traffic stop, I personally find it a comfort and will go to my brothers and sister officers every single chance I have.

Law enforcement in Jackson County has been painted with a broad and very negative brush because of some transgressions by individuals who no longer work here. Brad Stafford and Max Goodpaster and doing their best to overcome that stigmatism. I furvently hope eveyone will do their part to help by reporting crime when they become aware of it.
True Enough

Bronx, NY

#12 Oct 7, 2010
All officers whether warranted or not in JC are viewed in a negative light. Honestly everyone one of them applied or ran for the position they have and this was known before they took the job so it's up to them to change this view point. I can only say in my dealings so far with them I see a lot of apathy toward their duty. They may yet change but there really isnt anything different now than what was in the past in most peoples eyes.
tim

Columbia, SC

#13 Oct 7, 2010
to mr. larnerd you are wrong , it does not take five police cars for one traffic stop , yes it is commmon practice here .but it appears that you need to find another job , if you are that fearful for your safety , and no all the ones that have committed trangressions and even CRIMES are not gone they are still with the city as well as the county if you really beleive all of what said then you definitely need to seek other employment.
sad

Smartt, TN

#14 Oct 7, 2010
To Tim. It saddens me how incredible narrow minded you are. Obviously you have never had a member of your family in law enforcement. My husband is a police officer, not here in Jackson County but in a naboring county. I have heard horror stories from him, and yes, several are born from traffic stops. The police officers have no way of knowing if a traffic stop will end in a simple "drive safe" speech or in gunfire. If they suspect in any way that there could be trouble, particularly if there is more than one person in the car, of course they call for backup. It is also prudent to note that only officers that are not currently handling a situation respond. I think it is also important to point out that Mr. Larnerd never said "it takes 5 cars for a traffic stop" he simply explained why you might see more than one. Also he never said "all the ones (police officers) that have committed transgressions and even crimes are gone" but merely the ones that created the bad name for Jackson county are gone. It is ludicrous to assume that all police officers are immune to faults. They are human just like the rest of us. So please stop the practice of putting words in people's mouths. You will find it is a habit that no one appreciates. And keep in mind that the police officers you talk so poorly about have families too, and my kids and I always pray for their fatherís safe return.
somebody

Baxter, TN

#15 Oct 7, 2010
I have something to say about traffic stops. I have also seen and wondered why their would be several officers on what seems to me to be a "simple" traffic stop. One day I decided to ask a law enforcement officer to explain this to me. He said that when you get a call to go to a domestic, a burglary, robbery, or even a murder, you know what you are going in on. You can expect the worse. But when you stop a car on the street, it could be a preacher, a doctor, an attorney, a drug dealer, or a murderer who has escaped earlier that day. I now feel like a traffic stop is probably one of the most dangerous things that an officer can do.

And to answer the question about how the police department is doing, in my opinion they are doing an excellent job. I work with some of these people on almost a daily basis and know how passionate most of them about their work. I say THANK YOU to them, because I never know when I will need them.

Wrens, GA

#16 Oct 8, 2010
The police and sheriff dept. cannot stop the drug problem here. Well, they can stop the last man in line without a license to sell drugs, but they usually spin those out looking for the top man. Only today it is pharmceutical comapnies, pharmacies, doctors, and insurance comapnies pushing the drugs. So you'll see the same people in and out of jail. Theft will follow the ones that are out until they're put back in jail. It's a cycle everyone knows around here. The people are known, the victims are known. Obviously jail is not a solution for these people. They need to be beaten half to death, with some to death, or thrown in Stocks and Pillories around the courthouse. I cannot tell you how many times I hear, "Lock your stuff up, so and so, is out of jail."

It will just get worse as more people get on a non-copay, free ride to the doctor and pharmacy. Areas like this will be hit the hardest because more people are going to have free insurance to abuse. I'd say it's hard to pass up a free script that they can sell for a week's worth of pay, if not a month's worth. It's sad to drive through a neigborhood and literally 9 out of 10 houses have someone living in it that gets either Xanax, Valium, Percs, Soma, Hydros, etc. And probably more than half sell their supplies.

There's also the problem here that the cops were/are crooks with badges. But I cannot defend the ignorance of people to vote in someone like Bean when his problems were already known on the street. So I guess the people got what they voted for and those that didn't vote for him had to live with it. The head man creates the culture, so hopefully the new sheriff will change it for the better knowing he is the man everyone looks at when someone screws up. How can you have a cop testify against someone when they're a known liar? How could you trust a cop when you hear stories about items missing from homes after they were searched? How can you respect a badge when it has no respect?
jo jo

Cookeville, TN

#17 Oct 8, 2010
just when i was asking how they was doing they was hit with a law suit and some of them still working there were involved now maybe in a year or 2 they will get fired oh yeah what a rush
james

Cookeville, TN

#18 Oct 9, 2010
amen to that it is about time they been crooked for years why dont they get out and get a real job
fed up

United States

#19 Oct 9, 2010
they have been informed to who's selling or dealing and there answer is were checking into it or we already know.we all been hearing this for years. the only reasons i can think of for not making those arrests are there bought off , there scared of them, or it goes to high up thats the only reasons i can think of because we all know who's doing what. as far as i'm concerned it's turned into a joke. now prove me wrong,show me lets see some results and then only then will i apologize...
concerned

Waterloo, Canada

#20 Oct 12, 2010
I've never been part of the problem. It just ticks me off when the cars go flying in and out on my rd especially when my sister and lil nephew r out there walking and playing. I'm hoping and prayin that no1 ever injures them. And if my lil nephews were to pick up needles and get poked thatd set me off. Lil kids under age 2 don't know not to pick up the needles. It makes the neighborhood look trashy. I've called and reported it numerous times. They drive down the rd and that's it. Nothing is ever dun. They know whose selling wat and where at and how much. I wish they would shut em down. Ima call tbi next if I get no satisfaction from the law enforcement of jacksn county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom jones 1 hr Scotty 8
Donna Hunter (Feb '15) 2 hr stardancer8 9
Terry Coomer/?Republican candidate 2 hr Dino 23
Dairy queen 2 hr Gainesboro girl 3
Trump's First 100 days 16 hr resident 41
does mexican food give you the runs ? (Mar '09) Thu wonky 31
How many unsolved murders are currently in jack... (Sep '10) Wed Walking Tall 239

Gainesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gainesboro Mortgages