Students attending school that lives in another county

Posted in the Gainesboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Taxpayer

Gainesboro, TN

#1 Feb 13, 2014
Students going to our public schools that live in another county, do you agree it's ok or wrong?
Just another mom

Cookeville, TN

#2 Feb 13, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Students going to our public schools that live in another county, do you agree it's ok or wrong?
Yes. Why? Because their are communities that surround our county that are split that can go to either. Though I love in Jackson co my community is hilham and it's split with clay and Overton. If my kids need to ride a bus they go to Jackson it's the only bus. But if I drive them they can go to Overton or clay. Isn't Jackson co ran by the state? Soooo your taxes doesn't 100% apply to Jackson county school.
Policital Ventura

Cookeville, TN

#3 Feb 13, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Students going to our public schools that live in another county, do you agree it's ok or wrong?
When situations arise when neighborhoods and communities become habitable by drug activity and children are watching this activity go on then yes. As long as the child is attending the school, paying for school events and buying from restaurants and stores then what does it matter what address they are living at? You should be proud that they chose Jackson County Schools over any other schools. That's not saying much.

The School Board, The State, and local officials are ran by rebloodicans. They are ruining our children's future. Can't wait till election time so I can Vote them out. Vote for the diverse ones in a crowd. They are the ones who actually bring change. Diversity among opinions makes way to better ideas
Favortism

Cookeville, TN

#4 Feb 14, 2014
I don't mind it personally. What I do mind is that some people are forced to leave the school system when they move out of the county, even barely over the line, while others flagrantly break the rules and nobody bothers to enforce them. I say the more the merrier, but whether it's allowed or not the rules should apply to ALL.
Because

Charlotte, NC

#5 Feb 14, 2014
Policital Ventura wrote:
<quoted text>
When situations arise when neighborhoods and communities become habitable by drug activity and children are watching this activity go on then yes. As long as the child is attending the school, paying for school events and buying from restaurants and stores then what does it matter what address they are living at? You should be proud that they chose Jackson County Schools over any other schools. That's not saying much.
The School Board, The State, and local officials are ran by rebloodicans. They are ruining our children's future. Can't wait till election time so I can Vote them out. Vote for the diverse ones in a crowd. They are the ones who actually bring change. Diversity among opinions makes way to better ideas
It's the law...
TCA 49-6-3003
(c)(1)(A) Any parent, guardian or other legal custodian who enrolls an out-of-district student in a school district and fraudulently represents the address for the domicile of the student for enrollment purposes is liable for restitution to the school district for an amount equal to the local per pupil expenditure identified by the Tennessee department of education for the district in which the student is fraudulently enrolled.

Furthermore, I don't know many kids that "buy" enough goods to produce enough revenue to support the cost of enrolling a bunch of out of county students.

And, I also think it opens the flood gates for athletic recruiting. No way that it won't encourage unfair recruiting.
Key Point

Cookeville, TN

#6 Feb 16, 2014
A key point is if they fraudulently represent their address. The law allows kids to attend a school in another district if both the home and receiving district agree.
Because

Cherryville, NC

#7 Feb 16, 2014
Key Point wrote:
A key point is if they fraudulently represent their address. The law allows kids to attend a school in another district if both the home and receiving district agree.
Yes, I'm aware of what the law says...

So, other than teachers/staff that live out of county whose children are permitted to attend school here; do you believe there are children enrolled that have provided an out of county address?

There isn't an issue and this forum is moot if there isn't a problem with fraudulent enrollments.
Key Point

Cookeville, TN

#8 Feb 16, 2014
I wonder if you were aware of the law why you omitted the fact that in can be quite above board. It's moot because you said so? The original question didn't mention fraud. It was a general question.

If you know the specifics of a case where fraud is involved, why not report it if you're that concerned? Surely that would be more effective than complaining about it on Topix.

As to what address other families provided, I don't know or care. That's between them and the BOE.
Because

Cherryville, NC

#9 Feb 16, 2014
Key Point wrote:
I wonder if you were aware of the law why you omitted the fact that in can be quite above board. It's moot because you said so? The original question didn't mention fraud. It was a general question.
If you know the specifics of a case where fraud is involved, why not report it if you're that concerned? Surely that would be more effective than complaining about it on Topix.
As to what address other families provided, I don't know or care. That's between them and the BOE.
Lol, I'm not complaining nor have I complained. And, if we do have out of county students attending this school system, then it's supposed to be approved by the school board and made known in the school board minutes. So no, it's not between them and the board.
And yes, your point is moot unless you are arguing that fraud is an issue nobody on here, including myself alleged fraud
smity

Cookeville, TN

#10 Feb 18, 2014
Who in the hell would want to go to Jackson Co. School from another county?
Taxpayer

Gainesboro, TN

#11 Feb 19, 2014
For basketball
whatanidiot

Rickman, TN

#12 Feb 19, 2014
Usually it's the other way around, where kids who live in Jackson Co attend Putnam Co Schools.

Listen, it's their kid. If they want them to go to school in another county, their tax dollars are still going towards the state and their money is going towards the school when it's school lunches, fundraisers and all the rest.

Seriously, pick a better argument, you ignorant, xenophobic redneck.
Foreigner

United States

#13 Feb 20, 2014
whatanidiot wrote:
Usually it's the other way around, where kids who live in Jackson Co attend Putnam Co Schools.
Listen, it's their kid. If they want them to go to school in another county, their tax dollars are still going towards the state and their money is going towards the school when it's school lunches, fundraisers and all the rest.
Seriously, pick a better argument, you ignorant, xenophobic redneck.
Simple math would prove that $2.50 per day for school lunch doesn't cover the $3000 plus that it cost to educate a student for one year. Furthermore, school lunch fees don't even cover the cost of all the children (over 50%) receiving free lunch.
Besides, there is no guarantee that the children that enroll over county lines would even be paying for their lunch or participating in school fundraisers.
In order to be fair and consistent we would have to enroll every out of district child that wants to attend and we would essentially be inviting trouble in our schools. We are going to get troubled kids that can't make it other places. And frankly, we don't have the resources or extra money to accommodate all of those issues.
Nobody is xenophobic because we want to provide the most for our residents with what little we have. If you want your child exposed to different cultures, beliefs, etc, enroll them in an extra curricular activity in another town.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#14 Feb 20, 2014
whatanidiot wrote:
Usually it's the other way around, where kids who live in Jackson Co attend Putnam Co Schools.
Listen, it's their kid. If they want them to go to school in another county, their tax dollars are still going towards the state and their money is going towards the school when it's school lunches, fundraisers and all the rest.
Seriously, pick a better argument, you ignorant, xenophobic redneck.
Do you feel that Putnam, Macon, Smith, Trousdale, and Dekalb counties are ignorant xenophobic rednecks too? They also have policies that prohibit non-residents from enrolling in their schools.
Or could it be that everyone that disagrees with you is an ignorant redneck?
Question

Cookeville, TN

#15 Feb 20, 2014
How many upset by this have actually taken it to the board? Or is the purpose of posting to simply stir up trouble?
Foreigner

United States

#16 Feb 20, 2014
Question wrote:
How many upset by this have actually taken it to the board? Or is the purpose of posting to simply stir up trouble?
To say one is "stirring up trouble" is presumptive and narrow minded. There is no reason to "take anything to the board." A question has been posed and others have responded with their opinion on the matter. There isn't a specific problem that's been mentioned that necessitates going to the board. Can you read?
People can discuss issues without stirring up trouble. I don't know why it rubs you the wrong way for the public to discuss school policies!
Coffee Drinker

United States

#17 Feb 21, 2014
Because wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the law...
TCA 49-6-3003
(c)(1)(A) Any parent, guardian or other legal custodian who enrolls an out-of-district student in a school district and fraudulently represents the address for the domicile of the student for enrollment purposes is liable for restitution to the school district for an amount equal to the local per pupil expenditure identified by the Tennessee department of education for the district in which the student is fraudulently enrolled.
Furthermore, I don't know many kids that "buy" enough goods to produce enough revenue to support the cost of enrolling a bunch of out of county students.
And, I also think it opens the flood gates for athletic recruiting. No way that it won't encourage unfair recruiting.
. I feel like we all know the concern is Athletic Recruiting here. It begins in the mid elementary school levels. If you want your daughter to play ball for Coach Brown then all means, move to Jackson County. Otherwise play in the county you live in. I find that simple.
Taxpayer

Gainesboro, TN

#18 Feb 21, 2014
How would you like it if an out of student district took your childs spot in sports, would you be upset?
Coffee Drinker

Clover, SC

#19 Feb 21, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
How would you like it if an out of student district took your childs spot in sports, would you be upset?
Ha Ha Funny you ask. How would you like it if a recruit moved in and took your kids spot even if your kid was far the better player? Because those kids move in and the Coach feels like he/she owes a debt to the new family for up rooting and moving. Even tho your family had paid taxes here for 100 years. Nobody Likes it, but when your in a competitive system such as Jackson County Sports that's the way the Cookie crumbles. I imagine that in surrounding counties they deal with similar issues with Football? Still if you play, You need to live at very least inside the County boundaries.
Just another opinion

Clover, SC

#20 Feb 21, 2014
Surrounding Counties require proof of residency before you move in and get on the Football Team. Proof, that's where J.County is falling short. They need to improve there accounting system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh n Lexie 2 hr Your Mom 14
Deputies Fail To Investigate! 8 hr diana 19
Guilty pleasures Wed local 5
Shirley Allen Wed kkkkkkk 3
chandra lawson, michael allen meth bust Wed nnnnnn 9
Gainesboro Fire Nov 24 lulupalooza 6
Comon Southern Word We Use (Nov '08) Nov 24 steve 62
Gainesboro Dating
Find my Match

Gainesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gainesboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gainesboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:37 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:37PM
Zach Mettenberger sends himself to selfie rehab
NFL 2:01 PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts
NBC Sports 2:11 PM
Shaun Phillps lands with Colts
NFL11:15 AM
Injury roundup: Roddy White (ankle) misses practice
Bleacher Report11:29 AM
Arizona Cardinals vs. Atlanta Falcons Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick