what about maryjo running poor girl she doesnt have a chance
Well

Gainesboro, TN

#3 Jan 15, 2010
Mary jo is running for County Clerk, against Belinda Ward
rmbabydoll

New Bern, NC

#4 Jan 15, 2010
Let's hope Jeff Hardy is running, Jackson County needs to get rid of Aaron Thomas, its time to throw all the crooks in the street and that is a good place to start.
aotyana

Gainesboro, TN

#5 Jan 15, 2010
if Jeff Hardy is running against Aaron Thomas he is running for Circuit Court Clerk, not County Clerk which is, and hopefully will be, Belinda Ward.
Hardy

Granville, TN

#6 Jan 16, 2010
He would do a good job. He knows the law better. I remember when he worked there with Aaron, if you asked Aaron a question he would say he didn't know and refer you to Jeff. If Jeff didn't know off the top of his head, he would find out. I'm not downing Aaron or anything, I just think from seeing them both in the office together that Jeff would be the better choice. He really made an effort to get done what needed to be done.
CORRECT OFFICE NAMES

Jamestown, TN

#7 Jan 19, 2010
First of all people need to learn who the person is and their names that is holding the office and the correct title of the office given to the office by the STATE OF TENNESSEE not the County of Jackson, nor any other county.

County Mayor is able to dish out b/s, be 18 yrs old, have a high school diploma or high school equivalent (GED)(formerly changed from County Executive by TN STATE LEGISLATION in 2004 or 2005)
Charlie Hix, Current office holder
Jackie Meadows, running mate
Don Chinoy, running mate
John Cason, running mate

Trustee – Collects land tax payments from land owners from November through February.
Vernon Ragland, Trustee (The 24 yr term holder has not picked up his papers for re-election at this time. Deadline is April.)
Sharon Moyer, running mate

Register of Deeds – State law quotes that attorneys must write land deeds for land transactions and she only has to scan the deed and charge you a per page fee.
Kim Barham, Register (Hmm? Amazing how she has breezed by the past 2 elections (2006 & 2010) without a single running mate? Somewhat odd, don’t you think? Especially when Barham, Hix and Ragland are so tight knit together. Imagining Hix is worrying to much about getting those out who stand up to him instead of kissing his backside as Barham and Ragland does.)

County Clerk (NOT County COURT Clerk, State of Tennessee removed the word Court back in the early 1990 due to the County Clerk's no long responsible for juvenile or probate courts, only County Legislative Body Minutes. This office is mandated by the STATE OF TENNESSEE-Department of Revenue with to many job descriptions to begin listing.)
Belinda Ward, County Clerk, current office holder who give the residents of our county and surround counties all the help and assistance she can provide. With her hands tied by the County Court and Hix who refuse to let her make that office grown and become the money making office that it could be. The woman goes beyond her job duties for us Jackson County residents!
Mary Jo White, running mate
Judy Mathis-Eagle, running mate

CIRCUIT COURT CLERK -- General Sessions - Criminal - Juvenile Court - Chancery Court.
Aaron Thomas, Circuit Court Clerk, current office holder. Mr. Thomas is "NOT" the person responsible for "HOLDING YOU" for jury duty that is the "JUDGE" who is ruling over what session of court. Aaron CANNOT make decisions for the Judge; the judge makes his own decisions.
CORRECT OFFICE NAMES

Jamestown, TN

#8 Jan 19, 2010
Tax Assessor
Kimberly Rhoten-Hammock-Crabtree, Assessor of Property, current office holder. Elected by the people to the position every four years. The election is always held during the odd number years.
2009 election Mrs. Crabtree had several running mates and she won by a land slide. Mrs. Crabtree DOES NOT SET the tax rate. The State of Tennessee sends her a suggested Tax Rate, according to the penny brought in the county and the land values. Setting the FINAL land tax rate is left up to the COUNTY MAYOR AND COUNTY COMMISSION -- NOT THE ASSESSOR!! The FINAL tax rate is never any elected officials fault for increase except the County Mayor and County Commission (Legislative Body).
CLERK AND MASTER--Probate Court- Estates- Delinquent Taxes:
Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
This position through the STATE LAWS OF TENNESSEE IS "APPOINTED" to serve either a 6 or 8 year Term by the Judicial Area Chancellor Judge serving the regional area. TENNESSEE LEGISLATION WROTE THE LAWS TO BE THIS WAY, weather you like it or not. Try looking up a Tennessee Code of Annotated instead of rambling like you know all the answers when you’re in the dark cave. I'll even give you the link to get you there: http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll... I do hope this gives you some guidance.
Sheriff:(Collier was appointed to the position in approximately September 2006 or 2007.) The man behind the double oak doors at the Courthouse would shut up and leave him alone Charlie Collier would and could do our county a good/decent job.
Charlie Collier, Sheriff (filing paper have been picked up.)
Jacob Stafford, running mate
Jacques (did not catch the first name) running mate
David Pigg, running mate
Roger Nelson, running mate
Highway Superintendent:
This position is titled by the State of Tennessee and has been for years!
Thomas (Preacher) Anderson, Highway Superintendent
As of Friday afternoon no running mates!
CORRECT OFFICE NAMES

Jamestown, TN

#9 Jan 19, 2010
County Commissions---- Out of the 6 districts only 4 candidates have picked up their packages to seek qualifications.
District 2nd - York Highway-- Both side of the road that will vote at the old Fairview School now known as the Fairview Community Center.(Current office holders, Bruce Hawkins, James Evins, and Kim Young)
Michael Shane Keith, candidate
District 5th - Flynn's Lick - Granville - and the TN State Hwy 56 Garage locations to vote:(Current office holders, Charles Hopkins, Richard Head, and Jeff Smallwood)
Allen Corvin, candidate
Richard Head, office holder at this current time.
District 6 –(Billy White Myers, John Cason, & Wayne Wiley current office holders)
Jerry Smith, candidate (he would be excellent smart man, which is business smart!)
Tennessee urges voters to early vote. You "DO NOT" have to have a reason to early vote. Except that you want to vote and be done with it, if you do early vote or vote on Election Day that you must take your photo id and your voters’ registration card (new TN State law). If you have lost your voters registration you do still have time to contact Mrs. Barbara West at the Election Commission for a replacement card.
Mrs. West was relieved from her duties after 20 plus years due to the Republicans ruling the house. But was asked to stay and train the new woman who will be extremely good at the job as well.
Since those of you know so much more about each elected county office holders STATE position and STATE job descriptions.
Not including how we think they are on call for us the general public 24 hours a day 7 days a week, they are not. Pretty clear in these manual the general public are to honor the set office hours and not the good ole' buddy system hours.
How many times do you see loan officers opening bank vaults after hours to loan money? NEVER! Exactly how many of our doctors have their home phone numbers publicly listed? Do you think if we drove up in their drive way the would extend their service to us? I highly doubt it.
http://www.ctas.utk.edu/PUBLIC/web/ctas.nsf/p... <--- Click this link and learn who does what job in the courthouse and what LIMITED control they have over anything. Extremely LIMITED to the majority of the elected officials. Written in extremely black and white lettering.
This link will even assist you more about the fine Legislative Body (County Commission's) duties, County Mayors, County Road Superintendent.
http://www.tncounties.org/
CORRECT OFFICE NAMES

Jamestown, TN

#10 Jan 19, 2010
CIRCUIT COURT CLERK -- General Sessions - Criminal - Juvenile Court - Chancery Court.
Aaron Thomas, Circuit Court Clerk, current office holder. Mr. Thomas is "NOT" the person responsible for "HOLDING YOU" for jury duty that is the "JUDGE" who is ruling over what session of court. Aaron CANNOT make decisions for the Judge; the judge makes his own decisions.

Tax Assessor
Kimberly Rhoten-Hammock-Crabtree, Assessor of Property, current office holder. Elected by the people to the position every four years. The election is always held during the odd number years.
2009 election Mrs. Crabtree had several running mates and she won by a land slide. Mrs. Crabtree DOES NOT SET the tax rate. The State of Tennessee sends her a suggested Tax Rate, according to the penny brought in the county and the land values. Setting the FINAL land tax rate is left up to the COUNTY MAYOR AND COUNTY COMMISSION -- NOT THE ASSESSOR!! The FINAL tax rate is never any elected officials fault for increase except the County Mayor and County Commission (Legislative Body).

Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
This position through the STATE LAWS OF TENNESSEE IS "APPOINTED" to serve either a 6 or 8 year Term by the Judicial Area Chancellor Judge serving the regional area. TENNESSEE LEGISLATION WROTE THE LAWS TO BE THIS WAY, weather you like it or not. Try looking up a Tennessee Code of Annotated instead of rambling like you know all the answers when you’re in the dark cave. I'll even give you the link to get you there: http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll... I do hope this gives you some guidance.

Sheriff:(Collier was appointed to the position in approximately September 2006 or 2007.) The man behind the double oak doors at the Courthouse would shut up and leave him alone Charlie Collier would and could do our county a good/decent job.
David Pigg, running mate

Highway Superintendent:
lawman

Gainesboro, TN

#11 Jan 19, 2010
props and kudos to the person responsible for these very informative postings. hope many are able to benefit from learning about their government in order to make more intelligent choices this fall.
One thought that may benefit Correct Office Names:
Running mates are persons who seek to serve with another candidate, such as a vice-president or two or more occupants of a party slate running on the same platform or sharing the same constituency.
The persons you are describing are opponents or challengers since they are seeking the office held by the incumbent in each case.
Not meant to be a criticism, just clarification.
So grateful to have someone trying to stir some common sense into the local political stew!
Marie Laveau

Gainesboro, TN

#12 Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the information about the elected officials duties and proper titles. It was very informative and it is good to know who has picked up papers for each available office. However, it is disappointing that you let your negative personal opinion of certain office holders devalue an otherwise informative post.
CORRECT OFFICE NAMES wrote:
Tax Assessor
Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
David Pigg, running mate
Highway Superintendent:
Curious Bystander

Livingston, TN

#13 Mar 23, 2010
First of all people need to learn who the person is and their names that is holding the office and the correct title of the office given to the office by the STATE OF TENNESSEE not the County of Jackson, nor any other county.
County Mayor is able to dish out b/s, be 18 yrs old, have a high school diploma or high school equivalent (GED)(formerly changed from County Executive by TN STATE LEGISLATION in 2004 or 2005)
Don Chinoy, running mate
John Cason, running mate
Trustee – Collects land tax payments from land owners from November through February.
Vernon Ragland, Trustee (The 24 yr term holder has not picked up his papers for re-election at this time. Deadline is April.)
Register of Deeds – State law quotes that attorneys must write land deeds for land transactions and she only has to scan the deed and charge you a per page fee.
Kim Barham, Register (Hmm? Amazing how she has breezed by the past 2 elections (2006 & 2010) without a single running mate? Somewhat odd, don’t you think? Especially when Barham, Hix and Ragland are so tight knit together. Imagining Hix is worrying to much about getting those out who stand up to him instead of kissing his backside as Barham and Ragland does.)
County Clerk (NOT County COURT Clerk, State of Tennessee removed the word Court back in the early 1990 due to the County Clerk's no long responsible for juvenile or probate courts, only County Legislative Body Minutes. This office is mandated by the STATE OF TENNESSEE-Department of Revenue with to many job descriptions to begin listing.)
Belinda Ward, County Clerk, current office holder who give the residents of our county and surround counties all the help and assistance she can provide. With her hands tied by the County Court and Hix who refuse to let her make that office grown and become the money making office that it could be. The woman goes beyond her job duties for us Jackson County residents!
Thank you "Correct Office Names," I have resided here for 15 years and have not made the time to get to know many of the incumbents or prospective electees. I appreciate the info. From my admitted limited knowledge, here is my take: Aaron Thomas is not bright enough to realize if his tennis shoes are tied; rumor has it that Belinda will not be running again (thank goodness); Aaron is NOT the Chancery Court Clerk, that is an appointed position for which the admirable (LOL) C.K. Smith is responsible; Vernon Ragland has consistently raised the assessed value of my home despite the decline in value due to the previous presidential administration (and, no, I don't live in a mobile home - nothing personal to those who do). My take is get rid of Aaron Thomas, Vernon Ragland and Belinda Ward. Merely my opinion, which is protected by the First Amendment.
spokesman for vernon

Gainesboro, TN

#14 Mar 23, 2010
Curious Bystander wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you "Correct Office Names," I have resided here for 15 years and have not made the time to get to know many of the incumbents or prospective electees. I appreciate the info. From my admitted limited knowledge, here is my take: Aaron Thomas is not bright enough to realize if his tennis shoes are tied; rumor has it that Belinda will not be running again (thank goodness); Aaron is NOT the Chancery Court Clerk, that is an appointed position for which the admirable (LOL) C.K. Smith is responsible; Vernon Ragland has consistently raised the assessed value of my home despite the decline in value due to the previous presidential administration (and, no, I don't live in a mobile home - nothing personal to those who do). My take is get rid of Aaron Thomas, Vernon Ragland and Belinda Ward. Merely my opinion, which is protected by the First Amendment.
Just so you can get your FACTS correct. The Trustee has not, nor never will be the one that raises or lowers your taxes. That job is done by the elected tax accessor. Vernon Ragland collects your tax money and invests it with the local banks and makes $$$$$$ every chance he has for our county.
p.s. my opinion is you need to do a bit of research before accusing someone of something that you know absolutely about.
just a thought

Jamestown, TN

#15 Mar 23, 2010
Don Chinoy, running mate
John Cason, running mate
I thought a County Mayor had to be 25 years old.
I know an opponent is not a running mate.
I thought I saw Belinda Ward's picture in the paper that she was running again.
By the way, Belinda can have the third floor of the courthouse since it is no longer used by veterans hall, since she is always complaining about not having enough space in her office. Well, no one in the courthouse has enough space.
just a thought

Jamestown, TN

#16 Mar 23, 2010
Don Chinoy, running mate
John Cason, running mate
Kim Barham is doing an excellent job in my opinion. She had opponents her first election, but last election she didnt - guess everyone thought she was doing a good job or they would have run against her.
Belinda Ward and Aaron Thomas sued the county, so why should we elect them again?
Sherrie Osborne sued the county too, but she is appointed. I think people should push for that office to be elected by the people. After all, we, the tax payers, pay her salary. That office should not be appointed. All she has to do is return to her job year after year while everyone else has to get out and spend money to get reelected.
curious

Jamestown, TN

#17 Mar 23, 2010
Tax Assessor
Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
David Pigg, running mate
Highway Superintendent:
Barbara West has done an excellent job for several years. Why cant we, the people, appoint her to a job. Sherrie Osborne is appointed.
thinking out loud

Jamestown, TN

#18 Mar 24, 2010
Tax Assessor
Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
David Pigg, running mate
Highway Superintendent:
Kim Crebtree, Property Assessor, may not have anything to do with setting the tax rate but she goes around with the state and assesses the value of your house. Every so often a reapprasial year comes around and they think your house is worth more than it was worth the last time they apprased it. The tax rate in Jackson County is $2.56 the same as it was the year before. The tax rate didnt go up, property tax went up because of the reapprasals. Regaurdless, the state will only let any county take in a certain amount. Jackson County's tax rate could have been set a little bit lower, but look at the sales tax decreaase in this county. Do i think Kim Crabtree sets the tax rate? NO Do i think Kim Crabtree is doing a good job for the county? NO
flunkie

Jamestown, TN

#19 Mar 24, 2010
Tax Assessor
Sherrie Pippin-Osborne
David Pigg, running mate
Highway Superintendent:
You're right about Charlie Collier's puppet behind the oak doors. Since he has been in office he has ahd several tell him what to do. If Brad Stafford is so hell bent on running for Charlie Collier's job, why dont Brad have some respect and resign. people would think a whole lot more of him to do so. It's amazing in j county how people go behind your back, lie on you, stab you in the back and still work for you and tell you that you are the best. Liers, cheaters, back stabbers, we need to get rid of them all.
go new people

Jamestown, TN

#20 Mar 24, 2010
spokesman for vernon wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so you can get your FACTS correct. The Trustee has not, nor never will be the one that raises or lowers your taxes. That job is done by the elected tax accessor. Vernon Ragland collects your tax money and invests it with the local banks and makes $$$$$$ every chance he has for our county.
p.s. my opinion is you need to do a bit of research before accusing someone of something that you know absolutely about.
I like vernon but he should retire. he has been in there long enough. he could have retired years ago. he owns a farm, has cattle, and i'm sure he has saved money and invested well in his life. But just because we like someone or just think they are ok, not an opinion one way or the other about that person, dosent mean we should elect them for life. Please give someone else a chance at a good job for a few years. It only fair. My gosh, does these people in these elected positions with good paying jobs have to stay in there that long, it's almost like they have to die to leave the position. I dont think our forefathers intended for someone to be in office for a third of their life. I'm sorry but that is the way I feel.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gainesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiffany Meadows Pregnant? (Sep '13) 12 min poor soul 4
tammy allen knight (Jul '10) 17 min poor soul 38
Gainesboro renamed affair city 1 hr Shaun 8
Historical Sites in Jackson County (Feb '10) 3 hr Doc 69
He getting out and coming home 3 hr Doc 10
Where did it go 4 hr Betty 2
roaring river park 20 hr Phoenix 20
•••
•••
•••