Home school arrest case goes viral

Home school arrest case goes viral

There are 30 comments on the WNYT Albany story from Feb 8, 2010, titled Home school arrest case goes viral. In it, WNYT Albany reports that:

A local case about home schooling is now getting national attention. It comes after two Montgomery County parents , Richard and Margie Cressy, were charged with endangering the welfare of their children because they didn't file the proper paperwork with the school district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNYT Albany.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Really? Really?”

Since: Apr 08

G'View

#21 Feb 23, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
As for what YOU think "should" be going on with the home school world.
1. Standardized testing. My state requires it, but the grades are for statistics only. We aren't rushed and pushed to teach to the test.
As long as there's something that makes sure homeschool kids are getting the same education as everyone else. And you know why I listed this first - there are countless articles about HS parents who turned to HS because they "disagreed" with the proposed curriculum.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
2. Check on child's well being. Now, that is just absurd. How so? Do you really feel that tax payers should pay for DHS or whomever to go door to door and examine each household? Why not for public schoolers too? I know of several people who live in my town who are on drugs. Their kids go to public school. Why is no one busting their doors down and checking on those kids?
Have you reported them? Do their children seem to be the victims of abuse? And the mere fact that public (and private) school kids are IN school provides at least one possibility that someone will notice something amiss.
We already have social workers who check on the well-being of kids in Foster programs, we would just expand the program to include children who are homeschooled. And trust me, all we have to do is show the article which started this thread and people will literally throw money at this idea. It's better than making HS illegal, don't you think?
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
3. Inform parents and kids of new programs. Are taxpayers now suppose to pay for "home school programs"? Or do you mean things in the community? Every child I know who is in homeschool is in at least one sport or fun activity outside of the home. See, good parents make sure their kids get to do those things. All by ourselves. No one needs to tell us. Would you require every child to join a sport? At what point would you be satisfied that each parent knew about said programs? When they ALL took part in them?
Can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't like a service that provided this information? I don't understand how you can argue with this suggestion if it's only to help you pursue this endeavor. Unless you're absolutely so jaded that you either won't accept any type of governmental program or simply are disagreeing because someone who doesn't think HS is perfect (that would be me) came up with the idea.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
4. Forums. There are thousands of online homeschool support forums. And even in my small town there are several homeschool groups who meet weekly or monthly. We are not lacking in support.
Hey, I don't follow the HS community (since I mostly don't care) so I didn't know. But that's right, HS families know everything.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
5. Medical records. If kids aren't seeing a doctor regular basis then yes, something could be going on. But I see no reason the school district or government should need to see my kids doctor's notes. That info is between me and the doctor unless the doctor feels that something is going on that shouldn't be. Then he is obligated to notify the proper authorities.
But you have to agree that HS is not a normal situation, so some provisions need to be made to make sure.
(concluded)

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#22 Feb 23, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
I see the potential for abuse in many situations. Homeschooling just happens to be dear to my heart so I defend those of us who are doing right by our kids. I will continue to do so not only here but also with my state Reps.
So you'll stick your head in the sand and pretend like the homeschooling concept could never be a haven for abuse because you happen to practice homeschooling? That's like being a smoker and denying it causes lung cancer and emphesyma. You cannot have a program like homeschooling, which essentially provides someone TOTAL control over someone else's life and act surprised when someone calls for regulation.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Like I've told many before you on this argument. You don't have to like it...you just have to deal with it. It's my RIGHT to homeschool my children. You will have one hell of a fight if you try to take that right away from me.:)
Who's trying to take the right away? For me, I'll admit, I don't like it. I don't like the concept and I don't like many of the reasons I hear about why some parents embrace homeschooling. But you know what? I don't like a lot of things that other people do. Unlike many homeschool parents I know, I don't believe that my way is the ONLY way, and I make room for other ideas. So if you want to homeschool your kids, that's great. But don't confuse regulation with the removal of freedom. You have chosen to support a system that is just teeming with opportunities to abuse that system. And unfortunately for you, people who advocate regulation are more interested in the welfare of your children than of maintaining your comfort level.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Oh, one more thing.
You DON'T know what I'm an expert in. You don't need to know.
See, that's the type of attitude that makes people want more regulation for homeschooling.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
That's not what home schooling is even about. I will give my children every tool they need to be good at and excel in whatever they choose to do. If that means a Calculus tutor, then so be it. Just because I don't send them to a school building everyday doesn't mean I'm above allowing an expert in certain subjects teach them. I certainly don't teach them to how to use the swords in fencing class or how to kick the soccer ball. The coach does that. The coach is an expert.
I've never claimed to be an expert at anything except being a parent and providing for my children.
If you need to hire a tutor, then why not just send them to school? They have plenty of tutor-like people there, usually referred to as teachers. This is what confuses me most about the idea of homeschooling: at some point you're going to have to entrust your children's education to someone else, so why not just enroll them? I mean, you have to admit that to claim that you can be a better teacher, at all levels of a child's education, requires a certain amount of arrogance.

“of the Green Ajah”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#23 Feb 23, 2010
Hold please wrote:
<quoted text>What rights would be trampled on? The right to keep your children hidden from the world? The right to be a crappy parent and not have anyone call you out for it? And you know what, potential for someone else's kid being abused is EVERYONE'S problem. I can't believe that you would fight against regulations to help prevent this in homeschool families just because you're paranoid about having YOUR freedoms taken away. Is that what this is all about? Forcing your paranoia and fears on your children?

Now, was that really called for? Honestly. You know nothing about me. If you want to call names and attack someone, you can do that with someone else. I won't play along.

I've not said one mean thing about you. I disagree with almost every word you've said but I have not stooped to calling names and making assumption about your parenting skills.

And yes I fight against regulations on homeschooling. It's my job to worry about my family and what is best for us. I'll let you and everybody else worry about fixing the rest of the world.

Speaking of paranoia, you seem awfully worried about child abuse. Why is that? I don't think about it because it's not something I have to deal with, ever. You can blame me for not being a crusader for every cause on the planet.

<quoted text> We're all subjected to rules made for someone else. Speed limits. Tamper-resistant medicine bottles. TSA security screenings. This isn't about what you should and shouldn't have to do in a perfect world, because we don't live in one. If you had to have a slight inconvenience just so we can catch a few child abusers within the homeschool community, then I'm sorry, but those kids rights to not be abused outweigh your perceived inconvenience.

Yeah, just like tapping my phone and damn near making me undress completely at the airport MIGHT catch a terrorist, right?

You speak about these regulations like they are actually going to happen.... They aren't.

<quoted text> It's about Mom and Dad telling themselves they know what's right for their children, but really it's all about what Mom and Dad want to deal with.
(continued)
I wonder if you even have children. If you did you would know that Mom and Dad DO know what is best.

I'm not talking about these abusers you are so convinced are lurking everywhere. I mean real parents.

And why should I "have to deal with" anything I don't want to deal with? Should I have to deal with other peoples kids bringing guns to school?( Which before you ask happened twice in the past month in my town, elementary students ) Should I have to deal with teachers? Programs I don't agree with? Having my child being bored to death in class?

I get the option of not having to deal with any of that.

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#24 Feb 23, 2010
My above post looks weird. Not sure why.

Anyway, I'd just loooove to stay and chat but I have somewhere to be soon.

Don't worry, Troll from Albany, I'm taking my kids too. LMFAO!

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#26 Feb 24, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you even have children. If you did you would know that Mom and Dad DO know what is best.
1. I've got one on the way.
2. I may not be a parent (yet) but I've been a child. And let me tell you, Mom and Dad are not infallible. There's that homeschool parent arrogance coming though.
The fact is that many parents do what they do and they HOPE it's what's best. Most of the time (if they have even half a brain) they're right. But not all the time.
And you keep saying, "Mom and Dad know what's best" in reference to my question about, "What makes you so sure you're qualified to teach your children?" This isn't about setting curfew or telling them to eat their vegetables, it's about skill and knowledge. Intentions only get you so far. After that, you're going to need someone who actually KNOWS what they're talking about.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not talking about these abusers you are so convinced are lurking everywhere. I mean real parents.
But I am talking about the abusers who are lurking everywhere. Do you not pay attention to what people write? If there were a guarantee that every parent who homeschools their children were not abusing their children, then the regulations I'm suggesting wouldn't be necessary. But all it takes is one parent/set of parents to use the homeschool concept to abuse their children and regulations are deemed necessary. And, since the article which sparked this forum just happens to be about one such set of parents, it appears that no guarantees can be made.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>And why should I "have to deal with" anything I don't want to deal with? Should I have to deal with other peoples kids bringing guns to school?( Which before you ask happened twice in the past month in my town, elementary students ) Should I have to deal with teachers? Programs I don't agree with? Having my child being bored to death in class?
I get the option of not having to deal with any of that.
So then I guess the main thing you're teaching your kids is that if they don't feel like dealing with something, then they simply don't have to.
I think it's time for you to grow up. We all have to deal with things that we don't like. I have to drive in traffic to get to work. I have to be nice to customers I don't like. I have to maintain a healthy diet even though I prefer hot dogs and calzones. Life is about dealing with it. You can't just run from every situation you don't like. What happens if your kids are in the working world and they have to encounter rules or coworkers that they don't like? By the example you're setting, the answer is for them to simply quit their job(s) and work from home. Home-based businesses are rewarding in some ways, but very limiting in others. And not without their share of "things to deal with".
Is that really the answer? To essentially shelter them from everything that YOU don't feel like dealing with? I hope they never travel to a large metropolitan area alone.

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#27 Feb 24, 2010
Oh...You aren't even a parent.

You have no experience being a parent of a child in public school. I do.

You have no experience being a parent of a child in homeschool. I do.

You are not qualified to even have this conversation with me.

You accuse me of arrogance, but you are every bit as arrogant as I am. The only difference is, you are wrong.:)

And don't worry about my kids. Your kid will probably be one of their employees. Hey, maybe you will be too!

Goodbye Hold Please, good luck with that whole parenting thing. You are going to need it. I would find it truly poetic if your other half decided to homeschool your child. LMAO!

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#28 Feb 25, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Oh...You aren't even a parent.
Oh boy, here we go...
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
You have no experience being a parent of a child in public school. I do.
No, but I was a child at a public school, so I know that side of it.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
You have no experience being a parent of a child in homeschool. I do.
No, and I'm really okay with that.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
You are not qualified to even have this conversation with me.
Is that a fact? It seems that you've got a penchant for determining who's qualified to do what quite a bit. And it seems that you always determine that no one is qualified enough for you. So I guess I'm in good company.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
You accuse me of arrogance, but you are every bit as arrogant as I am. The only difference is, you are wrong.:)
How am I arrogant? Because I suggested a program to catch child abusers within the practice of homeschooling? Because I want some more of a guarantee that homeschool kids aren't being abused and manipulated than just the parents saying it's not happening? Now I'm really worried about your kids, since you don't even seem to know what the definition of arrogance is. I'm not arrogant, I'm cynical.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
And don't worry about my kids. Your kid will probably be one of their employees. Hey, maybe you will be too!
All the more power to them. Of course, they'll only be the boss until they have to do something that they don't want to do. Then they'll quit and work from home and my kids will step in and be able to do the job a lot better.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Goodbye Hold Please, good luck with that whole parenting thing. You are going to need it. I would find it truly poetic if your other half decided to homeschool your child. LMAO!
I wouldn't worry about it, she's even more outspoken against homeschooling than I am. See, we actually TALK to each other about these things.
Sarah Palin

Hudson Falls, NY

#29 Feb 25, 2010
Hey I was home schooled and look how smart I turned out!
Hahahaha

Latham, NY

#30 Feb 25, 2010
Sarah Palin wrote:
Hey I was home schooled and look how smart I turned out!
If I were you I would kill myself
Troypplrlosers

Schenectady, NY

#31 Feb 25, 2010
Hahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>If I were you I would kill myself
I wish you were her too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fultonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loose Dog - Access 8 hr ConsiderThis 15
Hillary for President Petition for recount Sun Trumps Army 130
Sherriff taking over fppd Jul 21 Trumps Army 11
Child Molester working at Post Office Jul 20 ConsiderThis 2
reclaim ny Jul 20 Spot Light on RATS 1
jackson marshall for mayor (May '11) Jul 19 Anon_53 11
Does Dan Aherns age? Jul 19 Todd 4

Fultonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance