Home school arrest case goes viral

Home school arrest case goes viral

There are 30 comments on the WNYT Albany story from Feb 8, 2010, titled Home school arrest case goes viral. In it, WNYT Albany reports that:

A local case about home schooling is now getting national attention. It comes after two Montgomery County parents , Richard and Margie Cressy, were charged with endangering the welfare of their children because they didn't file the proper paperwork with the school district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNYT Albany.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Thawk3

Saint Peters, MO

#1 Feb 9, 2010
All bow before a fictional entity that only exists in your mind!!
It's amazing how simple opinions consisting of words on paper("Laws") can get a human in his head to justify brutal acts on fellow humans.
There is no injury here,no result from an action,and no victim-hence there is no crime.
There is no govt. or "State"-just men and women with guns.

Since: Aug 08

Queensbury, NY

#2 Feb 9, 2010
Even home school associations said they should have filed the paperwork...home schooling doesn't mean you're not obligated to follow the same rules as any other educational provider...

Since: Aug 08

Queensbury, NY

#3 Feb 11, 2010
This story is why parents who home school need to regsister and be supervsied.

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9001/...

The parents kept their 14-year old daughter locked in a bathroom, beaten with rods and starved, why? Because she cheated on a Home School exam.
Kaili

Corinth, NY

#4 Feb 11, 2010
Jango Davis wrote:
Even home school associations said they should have filed the paperwork...home schooling doesn't mean you're not obligated to follow the same rules as any other educational provider...
I agree 100% Jango.
My pastors wife homeschools their kids,and she says just
what you said here too.
It's fine to homeschool,if it's done correctly.
Kaili

Corinth, NY

#5 Feb 11, 2010
Jango Davis wrote:
The parents kept their 14-year old daughter locked in a bathroom, beaten with rods and starved, why? Because she cheated on a Home School exam.
What an awful story.

“Really? Really?”

Since: Apr 08

G'View

#6 Feb 11, 2010
I'm inclined to look upon these people with suspicion. From what I'm reading, they were not arrested, nor were children removed from the home. They were issued citations and required to pay a fine for not submitting the paperwork. People are making excuses for them, but the sheer fact they hired a lawyer makes me suspect that they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. This isn't about a "violation of rights" but two people who are now going to attempt to make a (useless) point. This is all free publicity for the home schooling movement.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for posting the article Jango. This is one of the arguments I have against Home Schooling. How do you know what's going on in the home if the kids seldom to never interact with other children. Good teachers are trained to look for signs of abuse.

“of the Green Ajah”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#8 Feb 13, 2010
First let me say that in THIS case I feel like the parents did do something wrong. If I'm expected to follow the law and file my paperwork, they should too.

To Hold please : LOL at the old abuse excuse. If you really rely on teachers to save all the abused children in the world you are going to be very let down.
Plenty of public schooled children die every year at the hands of their parents. Where were the teachers in each of those cases? For that matter, where were the doctors, neighbors, family members, and social workers?
The point is, just because a child doesn't go to a brick building for 8 hours a day doesn't mean they are more likely to be abused.
REAL parents don't need the school or the government to make sure they are being good parents.

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#9 Feb 13, 2010
Jango Davis wrote:
Anyone who would do that to a child is crazy. And shouldn't be allowed to have children in the first place.

However, grouping all home school parents with these people is unfair and quite frankly, ignorant.

That would be like me saying " I knew this black family who mistreated and abused their son...therefore I feel ALL black people should be watched by the government! "

See how ignorant and stupid that sounds?

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#10 Feb 22, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
To Hold please : LOL at the old abuse excuse. If you really rely on teachers to save all the abused children in the world you are going to be very let down.
No matter how low the number is, it's better than zero, which is exactly the number of cases that would be reported if a home-schooled child were also being abused. Low numbers or high numbers, the fact is that there's at least a chance that someone will notice something when a child is allowed to attend school outside the home.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Plenty of public schooled children die every year at the hands of their parents. Where were the teachers in each of those cases? For that matter, where were the doctors, neighbors, family members, and social workers?
The point is, just because a child doesn't go to a brick building for 8 hours a day doesn't mean they are more likely to be abused.
This isn't about the likelyhood of a child being abused or not. It's about the likelyhood that someone will notice IF a child is being abused when the child is among others in a school setting. It's about the concept of home-schooling providing child abusers a means of minimizing the chance they'll get caught while maximizing what they love most - control.
And in reference to your first point - reporting abuse doesn't mean that there's any legal recourse for it. Most of those kids are actually being processed through the system, but the system doesn't move fast or efficient enough. Most abusers who end up seriously injuring or killing their victims have already been reported at least once. But abuse is difficult to prove and the law is hazy (or inadequate) on doling out punishment. As easy as it seems to be to get an abuser put away, the reality is that it's not.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
REAL parents don't need the school or the government to make sure they are being good parents.
That's right. But we're not talking about "real" or "good" parents right now, are we? If everyone was a "real" parent as you say, then we wouldn't have to worry about the conditions at the public schools because every child would be an angel and finish their homework and participate in class.
But this isn't about children of "real" or "good" parents. This is about the pitfalls of having a rotten parent be able to legally never let their kids leave the house.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#11 Feb 22, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who would do that to a child is crazy. And shouldn't be allowed to have children in the first place.
However, grouping all home school parents with these people is unfair and quite frankly, ignorant.
That would be like me saying " I knew this black family who mistreated and abused their son...therefore I feel ALL black people should be watched by the government! "
See how ignorant and stupid that sounds?
All Jango said is that this is why homeschool parents need to register and be supervised. I saw nothing about saying that all homeschool parents beat their kids.
And it's a reasonable suggestion - if teachers who have gone to school and received teaching degrees need to be supervised, then why shouldn't someone with no training at all be supervised? Seems to me, they're the ones who need the most supervision.
Granny

Greenwich, NY

#12 Feb 22, 2010
I've seen cases where children were home-schooled just because they couldn't cope with the social "stuff" at school. I've seen children home-schooled because the parents wanted a more enriched educational experience for their children. And I've seen instances where children were home-schooled because the parents wanted absolute power over their children and the kids may or may not have been abused by them. I agree that home-schooling parents should very definitely be supervised.

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#13 Feb 22, 2010
Granny wrote:
I've seen cases where children were home-schooled just because they couldn't cope with the social "stuff" at school. I've seen children home-schooled because the parents wanted a more enriched educational experience for their children. And I've seen instances where children were home-schooled because the parents wanted absolute power over their children and the kids may or may not have been abused by them. I agree that home-schooling parents should very definitely be supervised.
Well, guess what Granny. We aren't supervised!:) Not in my state anyway.

LOL! Oh nooooooo! Someone is raising their kids with out the government! Stop the presses!!!!

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#14 Feb 22, 2010
Hold please wrote:
<quoted text>
All Jango said is that this is why homeschool parents need to register and be supervised. I saw nothing about saying that all homeschool parents beat their kids.
And it's a reasonable suggestion - if teachers who have gone to school and received teaching degrees need to be supervised, then why shouldn't someone with no training at all be supervised? Seems to me, they're the ones who need the most supervision.
Supervised how? I register each year. What more would >>YOU<< like to see? No, Jango didn't say all homeschoolers beat their kids, but by saying they needed supervision implies that they can not care for their children alone.

Teachers have to be trained to deal with many different children from many different families all at once. Do you really think a Kindergarten teacher needs all that training to teach the alphabet??? No. They have to deal with all sorts of issues that the parent of a child doesn't have to.

No one had to train me how to teach my kids to eat with a spoon, walk, talk, and all the other things that goes with everyday life as a parent? Why do I need someone to train me to teach them math?

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#15 Feb 22, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>
Supervised how? I register each year. What more would >>YOU<< like to see? No, Jango didn't say all homeschoolers beat their kids, but by saying they needed supervision implies that they can not care for their children alone.
It's not about caring for the children, it's about watching out for the child's best interest. You're personalizing Jango's argument. It's not about you. It's about the people in the article.
Here's what I want from a Homeschooling Supervision Program:
1. Adminster the standardized tests to see if the children are receiving the proper education
2. Check on the child's well-being
3. Inform Parent Teachers about new programs and actvities for homeschooled kids
4. Provide a forum for kids and PTs to ask questions and vent frustrations
5. Receive medical records to make sure that the child is free of lice and other maladies
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>Teachers have to be trained to deal with many different children from many different families all at once. Do you really think a Kindergarten teacher needs all that training to teach the alphabet??? No. They have to deal with all sorts of issues that the parent of a child doesn't have to.
Teachers have to be trained to teach many children at once. And Kindergarten teachers are teachers, they are not specially trained. All teachers go through the same education, whether they teach Kindergarten or 4th grade.
And you're right, the teacher has limitations put on them that prevent them from doing things that some parents feel it's their "right" to do - such as strike the child.
The fact is once you put yourself in the role of "teacher", I don't see why you shouldn't live up to the same rules and regulations as other teachers.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>No one had to train me how to teach my kids to eat with a spoon, walk, talk, and all the other things that goes with everyday life as a parent? Why do I need someone to train me to teach them math?
Wow, I don't know if it's confidence or arrogance.
Well, let's see - how do I know if you passed any math higher than algebra? How do I know if you understand Calculus, Physics, or Chemistry or know European Literature or Ancient Greek History?
You can teach a child to eat, walk and talk because you do those things everyday. You're an expert.
But you might not be an expert at Newtonian Physics. I know I'm not. I'm good, but not an expert.

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#16 Feb 22, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, guess what Granny. We aren't supervised!:) Not in my state anyway.
LOL! Oh nooooooo! Someone is raising their kids with out the government! Stop the presses!!!!
See this is the exact problem I have with homeschooling. It's not about the welfare of the child, it's about Mom and Dad have a problem with the schools in some way. Mom and Dad hate the government regulations. Mom and Dad hate the other kids. Mom and Dad hate the other parents. Mom and Dad hate the curriculum at school 'cause it teaches <concept>. Mom and Dad don't believe in inoculations. Whatever the reason, it's all about what Mom and Dad want.
And no one is talking about raising your kids without the government, it's about creating a system that can lead to abuse. Tell me that when you read this article, you didn't see how an abusive parent could use homeschooling as a means to engage in abuse without anyone interfering? Whether you believe it's rampant or not is not the issue. The POTENTIAL is there. One of the reasons you may not think abuse in the system is rampant, is because there's no one to tell you that it is. How would you know? It could be happening right next door and you'd never have a clue. Gacy lived in a neighborhood and none of them had any idea.
So stop trying to be the martyr and make Jango and me out to be the bad guys. If you don't see the potential for abuse, then you're simply refusing to see it.

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#17 Feb 22, 2010
Hold Please,

Potential for someone else's kid being abused is NOT my problem. I am making this personal because it affects me on a personal level. I home school my kids. I don't want my rights trampled on. When you start making regulations for things it's very easy to have all of your freedoms taken away.

Are there abused kids in the world? Yes. Are my kids being abused? No. So, why do I have to be subjected to rules made for abusers? The answer is I shouldn't have to....and frankly because my fellow homeschoolers stand up for our rights, I don't have to be.:)

I'm not being a martyr, I'm just chatting with a few people on Topix. You can take it or leave it.

And yes, this is about Mom and Dad. It's about Mom and Dad knowing what's right for their children and having the right to do as they see fit.

As for what YOU think "should" be going on with the home school world.

1. Standardized testing. My state requires it, but the grades are for statistics only. We aren't rushed and pushed to teach to the test.

2. Check on child's well being. Now, that is just absurd. How so? Do you really feel that tax payers should pay for DHS or whomever to go door to door and examine each household? Why not for public schoolers too? I know of several people who live in my town who are on drugs. Their kids go to public school. Why is no one busting their doors down and checking on those kids?

3. Inform parents and kids of new programs. Are taxpayers now suppose to pay for "home school programs"? Or do you mean things in the community? Every child I know who is in homeschool is in at least one sport or fun activity outside of the home. See, good parents make sure their kids get to do those things. All by ourselves. No one needs to tell us. Would you require every child to join a sport? At what point would you be satisfied that each parent knew about said programs? When they ALL took part in them?

4. Forums. There are thousands of online homeschool support forums. And even in my small town there are several homeschool groups who meet weekly or monthly. We are not lacking in support.

5. Medical records. If kids aren't seeing a doctor regular basis then yes, something could be going on. But I see no reason the school district or government should need to see my kids doctor's notes. That info is between me and the doctor unless the doctor feels that something is going on that shouldn't be. Then he is obligated to notify the proper authorities.

I see the potential for abuse in many situations. Homeschooling just happens to be dear to my heart so I defend those of us who are doing right by our kids. I will continue to do so not only here but also with my state Reps.

Like I've told many before you on this argument. You don't have to like it...you just have to deal with it. It's my RIGHT to homeschool my children. You will have one hell of a fight if you try to take that right away from me.:)

“of the Green Ajah”

Location hidden

#18 Feb 22, 2010
Oh, one more thing.

You DON'T know what I'm an expert in. You don't need to know.

That's not what home schooling is even about. I will give my children every tool they need to be good at and excel in whatever they choose to do. If that means a Calculus tutor, then so be it. Just because I don't send them to a school building everyday doesn't mean I'm above allowing an expert in certain subjects teach them. I certainly don't teach them to how to use the swords in fencing class or how to kick the soccer ball. The coach does that. The coach is an expert.

I've never claimed to be an expert at anything except being a parent and providing for my children.
Kasumi Sedai Kids

Altamont, NY

#19 Feb 23, 2010
Help!

We never get to leave the house...someone send help!

“Really? Really?”

G'View

#20 Feb 23, 2010
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Hold Please,Potential for someone else's kid being abused is NOT my problem. I am making this personal because it affects me on a personal level. I home school my kids. I don't want my rights trampled on. When you start making regulations for things it's very easy to have all of your freedoms taken away.
What rights would be trampled on? The right to keep your children hidden from the world? The right to be a crappy parent and not have anyone call you out for it? And you know what, potential for someone else's kid being abused is EVERYONE'S problem. I can't believe that you would fight against regulations to help prevent this in homeschool families just because you're paranoid about having YOUR freedoms taken away. Is that what this is all about? Forcing your paranoia and fears on your children?
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
Are there abused kids in the world? Yes. Are my kids being abused? No. So, why do I have to be subjected to rules made for abusers? The answer is I shouldn't have to....and frankly because my fellow homeschoolers stand up for our rights, I don't have to be.:)
We're all subjected to rules made for someone else. Speed limits. Tamper-resistant medicine bottles. TSA security screenings. This isn't about what you should and shouldn't have to do in a perfect world, because we don't live in one. If you had to have a slight inconvenience just so we can catch a few child abusers within the homeschool community, then I'm sorry, but those kids rights to not be abused outweigh your perceived inconvenience.
Kasumi Sedai wrote:
And yes, this is about Mom and Dad. It's about Mom and Dad knowing what's right for their children and having the right to do as they see fit.
It's about Mom and Dad telling themselves they know what's right for their children, but really it's all about what Mom and Dad want to deal with.
(continued)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fultonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loose Dog - Access 2 hr ConsiderThis 15
Hillary for President Petition for recount 18 hr Trumps Army 130
Sherriff taking over fppd Jul 21 Trumps Army 11
Child Molester working at Post Office Jul 20 ConsiderThis 2
reclaim ny Jul 20 Spot Light on RATS 1
jackson marshall for mayor (May '11) Jul 19 Anon_53 11
Does Dan Aherns age? Jul 19 Todd 4

Fultonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance