Deputy shoots, kills Ohio pet bear af...

Deputy shoots, kills Ohio pet bear after attack

There are 14 comments on the WSYX story from Sep 21, 2008, titled Deputy shoots, kills Ohio pet bear after attack. In it, WSYX reports that:

A sheriff's deputy is recovering from injuries after he was attacked by a 450-pound pet bear he was forced to shoot and kill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSYX.

My Bear

Marion, OH

#1 Sep 22, 2008
Thats was my bear and he had no right to do that.
We did not give him any permission to kill hickory. The reason he bit the officer is because he was teasing him with apples.
The cops were being mean and was like stop crying you can replace a bear but you cant replace a person. Well that was are bear and it clearly says on the bears cage DO NOT FEED BEAR!
So it is their fault the guys got bit.
someone

Bellefontaine, OH

#2 Sep 23, 2008
wow!! if a bear came up to you,a "pet",and started knawing on your leg you would have probally shot it. Plus how would you have known if he did or didn't provoke the bear YOU WEREN't THERE!. What if a defensless child went up to "friendly hickory" and the bear would've killed the child. I'm thankful that an armed police men took care of it, and ended up with a bitten leg than a family at a funeral for their child b/c of hickory.
Owner

Lima, OH

#3 Sep 23, 2008
The first post is obviously from one of my children. And before small minded people unleash on a distraught child whose pet has been killed, let me clarify a few things.

We know the bear was provoked with apples because the officer told my husband as much on the phone. And then repeated it to my son who is 17 when he arrived home very shortly after we got the call the bear was out. My husband gave permission to shoot the bear if it left our property or if it was clear he intended harm to someone. When the officer began coaxing the bear with apples, the bear was on our porch, not running in our yard or neighbors yards. This again was what the officer told my husband and son. There are many more things i could say here, however, I am simply defending my child's post.

And yes, as the various newspaper articles say and has been reported on news broadcasts, there were several reports on our bear being loose. However, this was the first time it had been loose with no one home. As a matter of fact, several of the reports were made when my husband had the bear in the yard playing with him and passersby called in because they were shocked to see a bear. The reports of the bear having increasingly aggressive behavior are also not backed up by anyone but the officers. And how would they know? The bear was not aggressive and how would the sheriff's department know if he was or not, especially since they released a report saying that?

And true, my child was not here to witness what happened. Thank God for that. But there were no other witnesses other than the two officers, so dont be so quick to judge.
Tim

Atlanta, GA

#4 Nov 12, 2008
I'm sorry for what happened to your bear... That was just wrong.

I think it's extremely kewl that you had a pet bear and can't imagine how fun that would be or how much WORK it would be either.

I'm sure it's a great loss...I'm sorry for you loss.

Tim in Atlanta
THE_TRUTH

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 8, 2008
Owner wrote:
The first post is obviously from one of my children. And before small minded people unleash on a distraught child whose pet has been killed, let me clarify a few things.
We know the bear was provoked with apples because the officer told my husband as much on the phone. And then repeated it to my son who is 17 when he arrived home very shortly after we got the call the bear was out. My husband gave permission to shoot the bear if it left our property or if it was clear he intended harm to someone. When the officer began coaxing the bear with apples, the bear was on our porch, not running in our yard or neighbors yards. This again was what the officer told my husband and son. There are many more things i could say here, however, I am simply defending my child's post.
And yes, as the various newspaper articles say and has been reported on news broadcasts, there were several reports on our bear being loose. However, this was the first time it had been loose with no one home. As a matter of fact, several of the reports were made when my husband had the bear in the yard playing with him and passersby called in because they were shocked to see a bear. The reports of the bear having increasingly aggressive behavior are also not backed up by anyone but the officers. And how would they know? The bear was not aggressive and how would the sheriff's department know if he was or not, especially since they released a report saying that?
And true, my child was not here to witness what happened. Thank God for that. But there were no other witnesses other than the two officers, so dont be so quick to judge.
HOW ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE OFFICER RECEIVED 13 STITCHES IN HIS LEG FROM YOUR BEAR ATTACKING HIM? OH I SEE YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HUH?
FUNNY HOW THAT HAPPENS ISN'T IT?????
MGCitizen

Plain City, OH

#6 Jan 4, 2009
I've heard a lot about the bear from people who know. I think the police here did a poor job, but then again, that's not the first time in recent history.

Since: Apr 08

Knoxville, TN

#7 Jan 4, 2009
Oh Jesus Christ! Here's the deal people. They had a bear as a pet, which is stupid. The bear got out and since nobody was home it was up to the Sheriff's Office to take care of business. The Deputy in question may be young and kind limited in the brains department, but he acted in good faith and did his best to coax the bear back to it's cage. He ended up getting injured by the bear because he didn't know how to handle it. If a kid were to encounter the bear, he/she also wouldn't know how to handle it, and this story could have ended a lot worse. Anyway, the bear injured the Deputy so he killed it. He's not to blame. The bear is a wild animal, it's not to blame. The people who own a bear as a pet, as far as I can tell they know what their doing and do have saftey on their minds, but a bear is a wild animal. Anyway, it is their fault, but for the most part this is one of those situations that "just happens". Sometimes things "just happen". Stop blaming the Deputy.
Close friend

Cambridge, OH

#8 Apr 12, 2009
I personally have known this bear since the day it came to their house I have 2 children and my son (the youngest 6yrs) loved to feed Hickory McDonalds french fries, and dum dum suckers, because the bear would eat everything but the stick and he thought that was cool, This family was very aware of the dangers and took every measure to make sure this bear was kept happy but secure, the officers were aware that someone was on their way to take care of a minor situation since the bear was not mobile he was simply laying on the porch and that was mentioned in one of the news papers reports, they took it upon them selves to try and be hero's and jumped the gun on their tatics, if they would of stayed in their car and kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't try and wonder off the family member that was on their way home was only about 4 miles or less away 5 minutes would of saved the officer 13 stitches and months of heart ache to the family duh!!!!!!!!!!
RevolutionaryLef tist

West Jefferson, OH

#9 Dec 18, 2009
all I have to say is "save the bear,shoot the deputy"
owning a firearm is dangerous correct?
so bears are no different if they had it properly contained its their right to have it as a pet-but again trigger happy PIGS (like Freemind here) always want to play hero and shoot something-parrnt be warned they may start making your toddlers as target practice next-tricycles just make them a moving target..*sigh*-from wild animals to children-whats next?
witchy witchy

Mount Gilead, OH

#10 Oct 18, 2013
RevolutionaryLeftist wrote:
all I have to say is "save the bear,shoot the deputy"
owning a firearm is dangerous correct?
so bears are no different if they had it properly contained its their right to have it as a pet-but again trigger happy PIGS (like Freemind here) always want to play hero and shoot something-parrnt be warned they may start making your toddlers as target practice next-tricycles just make them a moving target..*sigh*-from wild animals to children-whats next?
HOPEFULLY YOU
ebonic squad

Mount Gilead, OH

#11 Feb 4, 2014
The words pet and bear don't belong in the same sentence. Unless you are saying, I have a brain so I knew better than to pet the bear. In that case I can let you slide. Bad things generally happen when people try to domesticate animals that aren't afraid of us, as the TV show called Fatal Attractions clearly illustrates. So as a helpful guide keep this in mind next time you're at Pet Smart. Have I ever seen a cop take out a turtle in a hail of gunfire? A parakeet? A Guinea pig? No. A particularly angry tiger? A rabid wolf? An elephant with an attitude? Yes.
You're welcome.
a neighbor

Mount Gilead, OH

#12 Feb 4, 2014
ebonic squad wrote:
The words pet and bear don't belong in the same sentence. Unless you are saying, I have a brain so I knew better than to pet the bear. In that case I can let you slide. Bad things generally happen when people try to domesticate animals that aren't afraid of us, as the TV show called Fatal Attractions clearly illustrates. So as a helpful guide keep this in mind next time you're at Pet Smart. Have I ever seen a cop take out a turtle in a hail of gunfire? A parakeet? A Guinea pig? No. A particularly angry tiger? A rabid wolf? An elephant with an attitude? Yes.
You're welcome.
. You make a good point although with a bit too much sarcasm.
ebonic squad

Mount Gilead, OH

#13 Feb 4, 2014
Sorry to hear that, I was holding back lol!

Since: Apr 08

United States

#14 Oct 9, 2014
ebonic squad wrote:
Sorry to hear that, I was holding back lol!
Lol....no man, the sarcasm was great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fulton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Village of Ashley (May '10) Mar 24 Pissed off 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) Mar 21 You pharrt 16
Frank perry former mayor Mar 21 Actually 10
News Task force search leads to Morrow County drug a... (Dec '06) Mar 8 JohnAb 3
News Morrow Co. preparing in case Clinger indictment... (Jan '11) Jan '17 Dann Osborn 2
News Tesla adds electric-car charging site off Inter... Dec '16 They cannot kill ... 1
Kathy courthouse Dec '16 Sick of this 1

Fulton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fulton Mortgages