Constance McMillen paid $35,000 after...

Constance McMillen paid $35,000 after being barred from high school...

There are 614 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Jul 20, 2010, titled Constance McMillen paid $35,000 after being barred from high school.... In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

A school district in Mississippi has agreed to pay a recent high school graduate $35,000 in damages to settle a lawsuit alleging the district set up a decoy prom for a lesbian couple, the American Civil Liberties Union said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Since: Dec 09

United States

#1 Jul 20, 2010
This is absolutely brilliant. What a way for a school system to waste money they presumably don't have. Once again, the minority whackos get away with the cash.
Rob

Cleveland, OH

#2 Jul 20, 2010
It also shows that we do not have to follow rules. We can whine and complain and the ACLU will ruin America at their own will.
NMK

Westlake, OH

#3 Jul 20, 2010
This is so awesome to hear!

WTG Constance!
Brenda

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jul 20, 2010
Please.
Tam

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jul 20, 2010
Rob wrote:
It also shows that we do not have to follow rules. We can whine and complain and the ACLU will ruin America at their own will.
Uh, the ACLU is the one that made the school district obey the rules in the Constitution of the United States =- namely the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

Because that's what they do. How is making the government obey it's own rules ruining America?

Since: Mar 08

Austin, TX

#7 Jul 20, 2010
Congratulations Constance!! You deserve every penny and more.

Austin, TX

#8 Jul 20, 2010
Right Call wrote:
No wonder she is a carpet muncher, just look at her fat, non-obeying a-ss. She looks and acts just like that nasty Rosie O'Donnel. Neither can get a man so they turn to other fatties for lovin'. Just slap her thigh and ride the wave in. You know her toilet seat just screams for mercy.$35,000 ? Thats a lot of books and supplies she has stolen from the school and taxpayers all because she couldn't follow directions. Her parents must be soooo proud.
You sound bitter because Constance won her lawsuit. Now go and have a good cry and some warm tea. Your parents must be so proud to have raised an ignorant bigot. LOL!!
Jay

Seattle, WA

#9 Jul 20, 2010
You can not put a $ amount on equal rights. Good Job to you! If it were me though in the same position I would have not settled and I would have suied for a ungodly amount of money so the case would get huge attention and make a difference throughout the US.

Since: Apr 07

Morrison, IL

#10 Jul 20, 2010
Not only did they tell her she couldn't go to her own prom, which is bad enough, but then they went and set up a decoy prom while the "cool" kids partied it up across town. That's cruel and childish and hateful. They should pay. If nothing else maybe this will force the school district to grow the f up and quit acting like stereotypical Mean Girls.
MrJerry

Cleveland, OH

#11 Jul 20, 2010
Good for her. The school should have never played her like she was stupid because she is a lesbian with that decoy prom stunt. This shows that Mississippi is still in the dark ages when it come to todays students.
me me

Hubbard, OH

#12 Jul 20, 2010
i'm a lesbian ...with a kickstand...wheres my money?
Eaglefan9727

Ashby, MA

#13 Jul 20, 2010
Right Call wrote:
Thats a lot of books and supplies she has stolen from the school and taxpayers all because she couldn't follow directions. Her parents must be soooo proud.
I couldnt agree more with your statement.
RB HUMBLES

New Orleans, LA

#14 Jul 20, 2010
THIS IS A GOOD DAY FOR EVERYBODY. IT IS SURPRISING THAT THINGS LIKE THIS STILL HAVE TO BE AROUND. YOU MIGHT CHANGE THE SITUATION BUT IT IS A HARDER THING TO CHANGE A BLACK HEART. DISCRIMINATION IN ANY FORM IS TOALLY WRONG. TAKE YOU MONEY AN SPEND IT WELL AND CONGRAULATIONS
RancidPunk

United States

#15 Jul 20, 2010
good. no amount of money ever makes up for the pain/humiliation of discrimination, but at least it hits the school district where it hurts. maybe they'll think twice before they commit this kind of blatant discrimination.

and shame on all of you who attack her. it's not lesbians who 'ruin america', it's you narrow minded bigots who do that.

1. only a total idiot can look at a situation where someone is targeted and attacked for who they are and blame the victim, not the oppressor.

2. uhh, discrimination on sex, race, orientation, etc is against 'the rules'. only one not following the rules here is that school district, not the aclu or this girl.

3. i bet your parents are 'sooo proud' that you're calling a teenager disparaging names on the comment page of a tv station website. no wonder righties hate rosie, kinda lets the air out of their 'gays are sinners that should be shunned' since she's a popular entertainer.
Tam

Tallahassee, FL

#17 Jul 20, 2010
CCW Holder wrote:
<quoted text>
What amazes me further is the commentary support she gets and how NO ONE in todays society thinks that homosexual behavior is unacceptable, shameful, sick and something decent people do not discuss.
I come from a different World; a different Time and I see how much things have changed and much of it, not for the better.
We need to speak out AGAINST this Homosexual SubCulture and denounce this Leftist Push to make homosexuality acceptable and something to be celebrated.
Shame on Candice and her sick parents for supporting this campaign of their daughter's.
GET WISE & GET ARMED
You are entitled to that opinion, just as others are entited to disagree with you.

But neither you nor any governmental entity is permitted to express such an opinion in the form of discrimination that violates the Constitution of the United States. And per the judge that heard her case, that is what the school did. Why do you miss this point?

As for your last comment, I find it very disconcerting that you think you need to be armed in order to have your opinion heard. That is usually the kind of argument that terrorists make, isn't it?
Jay

Seattle, WA

#18 Jul 20, 2010
CCW Holder wrote:
<quoted text>
What amazes me further is the commentary support she gets and how NO ONE in todays society thinks that homosexual behavior is unacceptable, shameful, sick and something decent people do not discuss.
I come from a different World; a different Time and I see how much things have changed and much of it, not for the better.
We need to speak out AGAINST this Homosexual SubCulture and denounce this Leftist Push to make homosexuality acceptable and something to be celebrated.
Shame on Candice and her sick parents for supporting this campaign of their daughter's.
GET WISE & GET ARMED
This makes me so angry I do not know what to say. If all men and women are equal, then anyone male to female, female to female or male to male can have all of the same feelings as a straight couple and ther is NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH IT!!!

Austin, TX

#19 Jul 20, 2010
Eaglefan9727 wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldnt agree more with your statement.
Well, the school district shouldn't have discriminated against Constance. They did and now they have to pay the price. Duh!
Cleveland-West_S ide

Canton, OH

#20 Jul 20, 2010
First blacks were not allowed to white proms in Mississippi.
Then white and black couples.
Now gays.
Absolutely amazing in this day and age that people actually care if someone is gay.
Incredible.
How long before this country leaves the 19th century and enters the 21st?

Austin, TX

#21 Jul 20, 2010
CCW Holder wrote:
<quoted text>
GET WISE & GET ARMED
What time do you come from? Do you come from the time when interracial marriage was illegal in many states? Discrimination was wrong then and it's wrong today. It doesn't matter what time period you come from. Duh!
Jay

Seattle, WA

#22 Jul 20, 2010
Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are entitled to that opinion, just as others are entited to disagree with you.
But neither you nor any governmental entity is permitted to express such an opinion in the form of discrimination that violates the Constitution of the United States. And per the judge that heard her case, that is what the school did. Why do you miss this point?
As for your last comment, I find it very disconcerting that you think you need to be armed in order to have your opinion heard. That is usually the kind of argument that terrorists make, isn't it?
You said it! WTF are we getting ARMED for? Are all the Gays and Lesbians goign to take over the world and kill off all the straight people? Come on, Get real. no one is in danger because of the Gays! It kind of makes me laugh acutally!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fulton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chevron nettleton 1 hr Judicial Watch Dog 3
Management sleeping with employees??? Jul 27 RealOG 1
James "Waterboy" B (May '13) Jul 22 UKN 9
Christopher James Brigman (Oct '15) Jul 22 UKN 22
cindy ibarra Jul 21 Viki0765 14
Reggie Garcia Barnes on Dating Site Jul 19 Tyrone 8
Alex Eckford Jul 15 Curious 3

Fulton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance