Officials: 'Bath salts' are growing d...

Officials: 'Bath salts' are growing drug problem

There are 23 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jan 22, 2011, titled Officials: 'Bath salts' are growing drug problem. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

When Neil Brown got high on dangerous chemicals sold as bath salts, he took his skinning knife and slit his face and stomach repeatedly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Take Bath -Dont Snort One

New Freedom, PA

#1 Jan 22, 2011
Snorting bath salts is bad for you? Who knew? I guess I shouldn't snort that can of Draino I was sizing up in the bathroom? Maybe I'll have to reconsider injecting ammonia into my eyeball and plugging my nostrils with epoxy. Geez, guess a guy can't have any fun anymore.

Since: Aug 08

Lebanon, PA

#3 Jan 23, 2011
i wish they could ban posts that fall short of being funny. i mean really, think before you post.
kay105

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Jan 23, 2011
ban the sale of bath salts? haha... this is so ridiculous, i can't even handle it. in another 20 years we won't be able to buy any medicine or toiletry over the counter. in all seriousness though, the government needs to end the war on drugs already. how upside-down is our society when alcohol is legal but bath salts may not be? don't get me wrong, i'm not promoting prohibition, but it's not a politician's job to protect people from themselves (i.e. the possibility of mandatory 401Ks, but i won't go off on that diatribe). if people choose to put a toxic, mind altering chemical into their bodies, who are we to stop them? yes, sometimes others suffer for this (drunk driving, etc...) but attempting to ban the substance is not the answer. people who are chasing a high will ALWAYS find something else to satisfy their craving and you can't ban everything.
Yorkgirl

York, PA

#5 Jan 23, 2011
Does anyone else wonder who was the first person to try this? I'm 60+ and have been using bath salts all my life...in my bath. And never once did I think to grind it to a powder and stick it up my nose.

Since: Aug 08

Lebanon, PA

#6 Jan 23, 2011
Yorkgirl wrote:
Does anyone else wonder who was the first person to try this? I'm 60+ and have been using bath salts all my life...in my bath. And never once did I think to grind it to a powder and stick it up my nose.
i agree. its like the people that lick toads to get high. who tried that for the first time?
hercules bonaparte

Hanover, PA

#7 Jan 23, 2011
brother lo wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree. its like the people that lick toads to get high. who tried that for the first time?
You should see some of the things I lick!
Uh Huh

York, PA

#8 Jan 23, 2011
kay105 wrote:
ban the sale of bath salts? haha... this is so ridiculous, i can't even handle it. in another 20 years we won't be able to buy any medicine or toiletry over the counter. in all seriousness though, the government needs to end the war on drugs already. how upside-down is our society when alcohol is legal but bath salts may not be? don't get me wrong, i'm not promoting prohibition, but it's not a politician's job to protect people from themselves (i.e. the possibility of mandatory 401Ks, but i won't go off on that diatribe). if people choose to put a toxic, mind altering chemical into their bodies, who are we to stop them? yes, sometimes others suffer for this (drunk driving, etc...) but attempting to ban the substance is not the answer. people who are chasing a high will ALWAYS find something else to satisfy their craving and you can't ban everything.
It's unreasonable to ban things and prevent legitimate use of the products. Why ruin it for those who use the products legitimately? I don't think we need a ban on these products. It seems pretty ridiculous. We just need stricter enforcement of the law. Possibly a limitation on how much you can buy at one time and an age limit similar to the way stores limit quantities of other products (Nyquil, Tylenol, White Out etc). If a guy is buying 10 pounds or more of bath salts obviously we have a problem. He's probably not using them to take a bath...
Darwin

Annapolis, MD

#9 Jan 23, 2011
Why ban it?

Nature will take care of itself and clean up the gene pool.....no great loss.
hmmm

Spring Grove, PA

#10 Jan 23, 2011
"When Neil Brown got high on dangerous chemicals sold as bath salts, he took his skinning knife and slit his face and stomach repeatedly. Brown survived..."

Brown survived...there is your problem.
brother clifford

York, PA

#11 Jan 23, 2011
brother lo wrote:
i wish they could ban posts that fall short of being funny. i mean really, think before you post.
You mean like YOUR humongously hilarious "Groucho Marx" supposed humor, with paste on mustache as well? That stuff under your nose looks like an a-hole; shave! And please think before YOU post!
halo

United States

#12 Jan 24, 2011
It is not ur usual bath salt u use n ur home. This comes n a canister bout an inch talk and as big around as ur pinky. Look up ivory wave on the net it will tell u more. Its 10 times worse than Meth. The high last a week. It breaks down the enzymes n ur boby so basically a common cold could kill u. The life expactancy of someone using this drug on a regular bases is bout 10 months to a year. It says its used for a weight lose. I have seen on this and its far from pleasant. Hoarding there kids n the house BC someone is hiding n the kitchen cabinets and if u go outside they will kill u.
Brother Low Blo

New Freedom, PA

#13 Jan 24, 2011
brother lo wrote:
I agree with Brother Clifford, except I think the mustache looks more like pubic hair growing out your nostrils.
Quick comment

York, PA

#15 Jan 24, 2011
Just to clarify... can all bath salts be used this way or just particular ones that are manufactured with certain chemicals? The article made it sound like it was only particular ones. If so, I can see the logic in outlawing those.

Also, I love the Darwinian philosophy, but I dislike that these people pose a danger to innocent bystanders on their sprint towards death.
Not Real News

York, PA

#16 Jan 24, 2011
Where is the real news.....? This story is crap. What is going on with wikileaks or Tarp o the 2 wars we are in.
Mr_Scary

Camp Hill, PA

#17 Jan 24, 2011
Stupid people never cease to amaze me...
Larry Moe and Curley

Harrisburg, PA

#19 Jan 24, 2011
does it have a legitimate purpose as a bath salt, what ever that is, or is that just a cover for selling something to get high on?
g man

Newville, PA

#20 Jan 24, 2011
This is the craziest story I have read in awhile.Wait till the kids around here find out about it, they are always looking for new cheap highs, sniffing anything they can get, 4loko drinks, last year there was an article about listening to certain frqencies and music beats getting you high. As for this new drug, I think with science going full force this is just the beginning, there will be new compounds created that will mess you up. I have done stupid things in my life but am much happier being "clean";)
Mr_Scary

Camp Hill, PA

#21 Jan 24, 2011
I guess they will start tracking WHO buys bath salts and ask for the ID's, now.
Modern Day Realist

Ephrata, PA

#22 Jan 24, 2011
The products that are the subject of this story ARE NOT regular bath salts. They are being marketed that way to in an attempt the avoid regulatory scrutiny. Much like the recently banned 'herbal incense' blends that were marked as incense and not a marijuana substitute, when in reality it actually contained a synthetic version of THC.

This possibly yet another example of something that when handled responsibly, could possibly not be a big problem, but people like the guy in this article has already screwed up his internal biological chemistry so bad taking every drug on the planet, it causes severe adverse reactions. The same goes for young or less intelligent individuals, who due to lack of knowledge or common sense, ingest unsafe quantities because they just don't know what they are getting into.
just a thought

Madison, WI

#23 Jan 24, 2011
You can't ban everything people want to use for drugs. If some dumb bastards want to do it let him. At some point people have to take ownership of their own actions. If he wants to cause himself brain damage let him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fulton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sack chaser 4 hr neversaynever123 8
kristin plunkett 7 hr lol 1
michael paul Tue ready 1
martin lindsey (Jul '12) Tue lol 8
Dairy Farmer Tue abcdefg 4
Brick apartments in mantachie Aug 13 SecretAdmirer 3
Homer Stevens? (Feb '11) Aug 13 Five-0 5

Fulton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance