Occupational licensing enforcement to be addressed by commission

Apr 17, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Fulton Leader

In a review of vouchers, Fulton City Commissioners expressed concern over businesses operating within the city while failing to obtain an occupational license.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Mar 5, 2013
broke owner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

I agree everyone should pay a business license-all of the same price-you are either in business or you are not-Fulton runs business off with their license format- 50 buck application then 2 % of your net profit, this is BS a hard working business that profits 40,000 (this is considered below poverty level for a family of 4 in the usa) has to pay a liceness fee of 800 bucks?????
how crazy is that??
Agrees

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

I agree with the 2% crap should be dropped.. its crazy to charge anything extra as if enough taxes are taken from us..I agree with the license fee being the same for all business's,its only right.. but the extra is pure crap!
guest023

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

How would they feel if business owners just closed up shop for a week? It would become a tug-of-war. Remember when protests worked because everyone would stick together on one certain issue. Maybe one person cannot change things, but everyone sticking together just might!
aaa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

Pure crap is right!!!! They even try and collect this from out of state companies,that come here to contract work, sure they should pay a license-but when they start wanting to add more-who wants to come to Fulton to do a job?
ccrider

Sacramento, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

do they tax some 14 year old kid who mows a few yards......or a tree trimmer.......or an electrician........or a plumber........or a carpenter???????
Old Man

Union City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

First has anyone read the law and know why the city has an occupational tax? Second do you how it realy works? Yes, the tree trimers,eletricians,plumers and people mowing yards pay the fees. I don't know to many 14 years olds that want to work that hard in the day and age. Some do but not many! I would hope the city officals would know the differance between a person doing business and a kid tryng to make some summer cash. Check other Ky cities and see what they do with tax.
DoTell

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

well if you know then please share.. small business owners and others trying to survive just cant with taxes like this
visitor

Hanson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

ccrider wrote:
do they tax some 14 year old kid who mows a few yards......or a tree trimmer.......or an electrician........or a plumber........or a carpenter???????
yes they do
ccrider

Sacramento, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Why don't they only tax people who have stores or shops within the city limits? Don't tax people who have "service" type businesses who don't even have a store or shop in Fulton.
XYXW

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

I agree CCRider. The "service" profession is one of the lowest paid. Explaining my version of "service"... a person or persons who does not trade a tangible (an item you can hold in your hand for example) product or item for money or assist in the trade of such items. House cleaners, babysitters, lawn care - if it does not include the lawn care worker selling products to the customer- etc. By all means this should not include non-profit groups such as churches and scouts! Please remember to tip your service workers!!! Who can make a living on less then $2.50 an hour!
lacey

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2010

hmmm
NOT RIGHT

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

THIS WAY OF FIGURING TAXES FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IS LUDICROUS.
1. WE OWN A HEATING & AIR BUSINESS AND WE SERVICE 12 DIFFERENT TAX DISTRICTS AND EACH ONE HAVE A DIFFERENT RATE OF TAX, DIFFERENT WAYS TO FILL OUT FORMS, A DIFFERENT MINIMUM TAX, A DIFFERENT TIME TO PAY YOUR LICENSE FEE, ETC., ETC.. THE FORMS ARE HARD TO FIGURE OUT (TWO CPAS FILLED THE SAME FORM OUT DIFFERENTLY) IT BECOMES OVER BEARING.
2. EVEN MORE TROUBLING IS THE FACT THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE A COPY OF OUR PERSONAL INCOME TAX RETURN FOR WORK DONE IN EACH JURISDICTION IN KENTUCKY, FOR THE “OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE”. INCLUDED IN THIS IS OUR GROSS INCOME, HOW MUCH WE PERSONALLY MADE, OUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, WHO OUR DEPENDANTS ARE AND THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, HOW MUCH WE MADE ON INTEREST ON OUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND OTHER INCOME, HOW MUCH I MAKE, ETC., ETC.. I DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVING EXCESS OF THAT INFORMATION. IT TRULY TROUBLES ME.
3. THE THOUGHT THAT TAXES IN A CERTAIN AREA WOULD BE BASE ON WHAT WE PERSONALLY MAKE IS NOT RIGHT. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?? MY HUSBAND AND I PUT IN ALOT OF HOURS IN ORDER TO MAKE WHAT WE DO. IF SOMEONE WORKS 70 HOURS A WEEK AND MAKES THE SAME INCOME OF SOMEONE WHO WORKS 40 HOURS, THE ONE WORKING MORE HOURS ARE ACTUALLY PAYING A HIGHER TAX RATE. WE DO NOT BUY NEW VEHICALS THAT WE GET TO WRITE OFF, EAT OUT, NOR DO WE TRY TO FIND OTHER LOOP HOLES IN NOT PAYING TAXES, AS SOME MAY DO TO KEEP THEIR BOTTOM LINE LOWER. BUT WE WATCH EVERY PENNY (EXAMPLE: I CUT UP OLD CALENDARS AND USE THE BACK TO WRITE DOWN CALLS THAT COME IN FOR MY HUSBAND) WHY ARE WE GETTING PENALIZE FOR BEING FRUGAL? THIS IS NOT RIGHT!!
4. ALSO SOME OF THE DISTRICTS CHARGE TOO MUCH FOR THELICENSE FEE (MINUIM CHARGE), ESPECIALY IS THE CASE WHEN YOU HARDLY DO ANY WORK IN THAT AREA. THEN TO TOP IT ALL OFF SOME CHARGE LESS PERCENTAGE FOR THOSE WHO MAKE MORE. WHY?? NOW TELL ME THAT’S JUST!!
5. ALSO WE ARE GETTING TAXED MORE THAN ONCE FOR THE SAME WORK IN SOME AREAS. IF WE DO WORK IN A CITY OR TOWN, WE HAVE TO PAY OCCUPATIONAL TAXES NOT ONLY FOR THAT CITY BUT ALSO FOR THE COUNTY ALSO. ISN’T THAT DOUBLE TAXATION? HOW IS THAT FAIR??
I COULD PROBABLY COME UP WITH MORE REASONS WHY THIS IS SO WRONG. WHY IS THIS METHOD BEING USED ANYWAY ? WHO CAME UP WITH IT? I WANT TO KNOW!! WHY DO DISTRICTS USE THIS METHOD? THEY DON’T HAVE TO. THAT’S WHAT THE STATE OF KENTUCKY SAID. WOULD IT NOT BE EASIER TO USE A FLAT RATE?
WE HAVE NO BEEF ABOUT PAYING TAXES. WE KNOW OUR GOVERNMENT NEEDS THESE FUNDS TO OPERATE.
WE KNOW THAT AS INDIVIVALS WE COULD NEVER PAY FOR ALL THE BENEFITS WE RECEIVE. LIKE HAVING SOMEONE TO BE AT OUR BECKON CALL IF WE NEED HELP (POLICE), PAY FOR OUR KIDS TO BE EDUCATED. ROADWAYS, ETC., ETC.. BUT SURELY THERE HAS TO BE A SIMPLIER, SAFER ( NOT GIVING OTHERS OUR TAX INFORMATION), AND MORE JUST WAY TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fulton Discussions

Search the Fulton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Jay 146,183
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr i know 81,568
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr i know 1,013
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Hero 26,183
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr Amen 16,115
fulton car care 3 hr been there 3
ashley everett 3 hr JustMe 2
•••
•••
•••
Fulton Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fulton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000