WZZM13 - Michigan blueberry farms win...

WZZM13 - Michigan blueberry farms win road-salt claim

There are 6 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Jun 20, 2007, titled WZZM13 - Michigan blueberry farms win road-salt claim. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

A judge says the state could be liable for millions of dollars in damage done to blueberry bushes by road salt mist that drifts onto fields.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Dale

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Jun 20, 2007
So if they don't salt in front of the blue berrys and I crash because of the ice, can I sue the berry farmer?
Pat

United States

#2 Jun 20, 2007
Perhaps the farmers could put up some kind of barrier from the salt... maybe plant their bushes a little further away and plant evergreens, put up a fence, between the road & their crops to help with the salt spray?

Seems like both sides have a point... but its the taxpayers who lose out in the end.
Jenna

Crystal, MI

#3 Jun 20, 2007
I wonder how many of these farms are along State highways? I've never heard of this problem before? Not even from the apple farmers? What about all of the other crops?

It will be interesting to see if the farmers take the money and build a berm or something, or do nothing.
scott in kent city

United States

#4 Jun 20, 2007
Jenna wrote:
I wonder how many of these farms are along State highways? I've never heard of this problem before? Not even from the apple farmers? What about all of the other crops?
It will be interesting to see if the farmers take the money and build a berm or something, or do nothing.
Jenna they have had "no salt areas" for a few years now along us31 near m45. i am curious like you though as to how other crops are effected.
Kevin

Ypsilanti, MI

#5 Aug 20, 2008
Many other states do not use salt and have no problems. Michigan needs to stop using salt altogether, maybe if we start suing the state for destroying our cars and contaminating our well/drinking water they will change over to other safer types of ice removal products.
Jim

United States

#6 Aug 20, 2008
testing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Thu TJJ 222
bear sightings in Muskegon? (Nov '07) Sep 12 Jana Q 9
News The Wayne Lee Stevens Debate (Oct '07) Sep 6 Christinaroberts62cr 122
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Aug 28 Karma 19
News Author David Pelzer delivers message to Reeths-... (May '08) Aug '17 Caroline 10
All white women are going black Aug '17 Deanna 3
Review: Lakeshore RV Center (Aug '15) Jul '17 Tom Pollander 5

Fruitport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fruitport Mortgages