Maryland man arrested for soliciting 14 year old Fruitport girl

Baltimore County police say they have arrested an Essex, Md. man for solicitation of a 14-year-old Michigan girl over the Internet. Full Story

“Who Cares?”

Since: Jan 08

Muskegon

#61 Feb 21, 2008
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
<quoted text>
And part of being involved is knowing what your child does while on the computer.
'Nuff said.
Yes. But you cannot possibly think that a parent knows and see's all. At least not a home with 2 full time working adults. With all the ways kids can get into trouble these days. I mean your children are not on lock down are they? We all want to protect our children and monitor everything they do, but thats very hard to do. Without making your children prisoners. I am just sayinf that this guy WAS and IS the adult. HE is the only one fully to blame. Adults are supposed to protect children. I am certian the mother did all she could do and thats how she found out in the end. And she stopped it right then and there.
Lisa In Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

#62 Feb 21, 2008
So, does anyone else know about this "Hook" dating service thing on the cell phone? I googled, and I see that mobile dating services have become popular.

So my husband asks, "Why was this 14 year old girl using a dating service if not to pick up a guy?"

I am starting to see why some on here are so skeptical. She was very deliberate in her actions and was clearly out for a thrill.

However, I still don't think that she had a clue as to the real danger that she was placing herself in.
Alfred

Levering, MI

#63 Feb 21, 2008
WATERBOARD THE FOOL !!!!
Argh

Stanton, MI

#64 Feb 21, 2008
Lisa In Walker wrote:
So, does anyone else know about this "Hook" dating service thing on the cell phone? I googled, and I see that mobile dating services have become popular.
So my husband asks, "Why was this 14 year old girl using a dating service if not to pick up a guy?"
I am starting to see why some on here are so skeptical. She was very deliberate in her actions and was clearly out for a thrill.
However, I still don't think that she had a clue as to the real danger that she was placing herself in.
I know that on my phone, there are a number of dating services that can be accessed if they have access web. We don't have it, but can still see that there are dating services on there, and the parents wouldn't even know if she was going on it, because you can access other things like facebook, myspace, and all those places with the access web services. It's something that parents need to know, and unfortunately, I don't think a lot know or care. I have my provider block access to my daughters phone, and she isn't allowed to text. I monitor her calls to, because it's what a responsible parent should be doing.

“Who Cares?”

Muskegon

#65 Feb 21, 2008
Lisa In Walker wrote:
Exactly. No matter the reason for her doing this she is a child and I am sure had no idea what EXACTLY she was doing. Though she may have had intentions or not is not the matter this guy being the adult and praying on a young girl is the matter at hand.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#66 Feb 21, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. But you cannot possibly think that a parent knows and see's all. At least not a home with 2 full time working adults. With all the ways kids can get into trouble these days. I mean your children are not on lock down are they? We all want to protect our children and monitor everything they do, but thats very hard to do. Without making your children prisoners. I am just sayinf that this guy WAS and IS the adult. HE is the only one fully to blame. Adults are supposed to protect children. I am certian the mother did all she could do and thats how she found out in the end. And she stopped it right then and there.
No, my children are not on "lockdown". But we are full-time working parents who make sure the only way for Junior and Junior-Miss can access the computer is when we are home - it is turned off every day, and needs our password to get onto the 'net.

Junior works part-time after school, and the house is watched by neighbors. I can honestly say I know what is going on 95% of the time. We communicate well with our children.

It takes a village, but it's worth it.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#67 Feb 22, 2008
Interesting about the "Hook" dating service being on the phone when they got it. Just another example of why I do NOT want a cell phone. I don't know why it is necessary for them to load up cell phones (and computers) with unwanted services and features. It makes, at best, unnecessary work for me (an adult) to remove it from the phone, and creates a danger for a child.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#68 Feb 22, 2008
I'm guessing the biggest thing that I am seeing coming out of everyones discussions is to be sure you know what your kids are doing. I oversaw my son chatting online with some of his friends about a month ago, and some little girl (12) in their conversations asked why "he (my son) didn't want to sleep with her." So don't fool yourself parents, if kids want to have s e x, they are going to do it. We all need to band together and ensure this doesn't happen. I spoke with the girls mother to ensure they knew what are children were discussing and she was as shocked as I was.

Kids have too much free time that they don't know what to do with, and are therefore, are often having inappropriate relationships.

STAY involved with your children and make sure you are watching them.

Since: Feb 08

Tri-cities area

#69 Feb 22, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
I'm guessing the biggest thing that I am seeing coming out of everyones discussions is to be sure you know what your kids are doing. I oversaw my son chatting online with some of his friends about a month ago, and some little girl (12) in their conversations asked why "he (my son) didn't want to sleep with her." So don't fool yourself parents, if kids want to have s e x, they are going to do it. We all need to band together and ensure this doesn't happen. I spoke with the girls mother to ensure they knew what are children were discussing and she was as shocked as I was.
Kids have too much free time that they don't know what to do with, and are therefore, are often having inappropriate relationships.
STAY involved with your children and make sure you are watching them.
I'm glad to hear another parent say they called another parent. As Lisa said, it takes a Village to raise a child.
You are so right about the 'too much time on their hands'. I read a few years ago that the best time for kids to make bad choices from boredom is when they get home from school and no one is at home. I know it's hard for parents that have to work, like the mother of the 14 year old and not all kids are into sports and such. It's not logical of course to put your child in day care when they are old enough to babysit other people's children. But networking with other parent's, especially the child's friends parents is so important.
When I read that article about this girl and how her mother took her phone away only to have the girl use her friends phone, I cringed. Honestly, when my son was growing up, I put his friends parents under more of a microscope than I did the child! If I didn't agree with some of their parenting skills, I didn't make an issue out of and embarrass my son and his friend, I just had to learn how to be creative. I was a stay at home mom and the other 5 families in our neighborhood had to work. I put myself out there to be the go to place after school for 8 other kids besides my own, but I will tell you, it was sooo worth it.
Kids want and need structure and to know they are safe but it's not like they will tell us that.
A cop one time told me the best thing you can do to keep yourself safe is to be observant and know your surroundings at all times. With all the distractions in this world, that's hard to do for an adult. Imagine what it's like for a child. They depend on adults to be doing that for them and if we fail them, they WILL look for someone else to trust. That's kind of it in a nut shell, isn't it?

“God Save The Queen”

Grand Haven

#70 Feb 22, 2008
What is this sleeping with???
Problem is.
There was no sleeping!
Call it what it is!
Did Clinton get o-r-a-l s-e-x
or was he Lewinsked?

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#71 Feb 22, 2008
Pipingdude wrote:
What is this sleeping with???
Problem is.
There was no sleeping!
Call it what it is!
Did Clinton get o-r-a-l s-e-x
or was he Lewinsked?
You can always use the proper words in this forum because they will then get turned into asterisks ****** and people will be left guessing what word is supposed to be there.
Tom

Sparta, MI

#72 Feb 22, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well obviously you do not have kids and if you do I feel bad for them. How in any way is it her fault? She is a CHILD! now read this real slow so you do not get confused. ADULTS ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT CHILDREN. KNOWING SHE WAS THE AGE SHE WAS THIS MAN PRAYED ON HER AND FILLED HER HEAD WITH ALL KINDS OF THINGS. THEREFOR BRAIN WASHED HER. I AM SURE HE LEAD HER TO BELIEVE HE WAS A FRIEND AND JUST WANTED TO MEET HER. Now if you do not understand this then I pray you do not have or never will have children.
It must be lonely in crazy town...You are so blinded by your stupid rage on this matter, that you wont even think twice about anything the stroy has said. The young girl called him, she then used her friends phone to call him. She stayed in contact for over a month.

Sorry doesnt sound like a brainwashed kid to me. You have no clue on any other circumstances and are making judgement calls, just like everyone else. We can only assume from what we read. Any person with an IQ over 10 would see that the girl engaged this knowing what she was getting in to.

Thats why there are laws protecting children, because thay make bad choices, however when is it going to far, when the girl continuously engaged the Man knowing what she was doing.

Anyway, I look forward to another one of your crazy rants, about brainwashing etc... You always make me laugh when I read em so please keep it up.
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

#73 Feb 22, 2008
And then all we have to do is click on the "reply" link at the top of a post and we can see what words they used. ;-)

“God Save The Queen”

Grand Haven

#74 Feb 22, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
<quoted text>
You can always use the proper words in this forum because they will then get turned into asterisks ****** and people will be left guessing what word is supposed to be there.
Hey Redbaron,

You mean like town?

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#75 Feb 22, 2008
Pipingdude wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Redbaron,
You mean like town?
Exactly, like that word.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#76 Feb 22, 2008
Pipingdude wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Redbaron,
You mean like town?
You do gotta wonder why T-O-W-N is a bad word.

“God Save The Queen”

Grand Haven

#77 Feb 22, 2008
Redbaron wrote:
<quoted text>
You do gotta wonder why T-O-W-N is a bad word.
Redbaron,

I have thought hard on this one.
The only thing that pops into mind is that there are some animal sex sites out there called farm T.own or something to that effect.
I hate censorship, this is what happens.

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#78 Feb 22, 2008
Pipingdude wrote:
<quoted text>
Redbaron,
I have thought hard on this one.
The only thing that pops into mind is that there are some animal sex sites out there called farm T.own or something to that effect.
I hate censorship, this is what happens.
I don't really know who sets up what is a good word/bad word. I have visited some other topix forums in other cities, and its "no holds barred", everything is fair game. Any suggestions?
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

#79 Feb 22, 2008
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be lonely in crazy town...You are so blinded by your stupid rage on this matter, that you wont even think twice about anything the stroy has said. The young girl called him, she then used her friends phone to call him. She stayed in contact for over a month.
Sorry doesnt sound like a brainwashed kid to me. You have no clue on any other circumstances and are making judgement calls, just like everyone else. We can only assume from what we read. Any person with an IQ over 10 would see that the girl engaged this knowing what she was getting in to.
Thats why there are laws protecting children, because thay make bad choices, however when is it going to far, when the girl continuously engaged the Man knowing what she was doing.
Anyway, I look forward to another one of your crazy rants, about brainwashing etc... You always make me laugh when I read em so please keep it up.
Tom, I understand your skepticism. She was very deliberate in her actions and she was obviously out for a thrill. But that is all that she is guilty of.

However, you have never been a teenage girl. I have. I know what it was like to try to get away with something that I knew was wrong and I know what it was like when an older man thought I was hot. Do you think I had a CLUE as to how dangerous it could have been? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I was too caught up in the excitement of it all. Not to mention that he conned me into believing that he cared about me and that he was completely harmless. I was totally stupid and naive and absolutely sucked in.

No, my parents didn't have a clue until I arranged to me him and got caught. Only then did they tell me, "Do you know that you could have been raped or worse, killed?"

If parents would tell their kids that people like that are out there BEFORE they start sneaking around looking for a thrill then maybe more kids would still be alive today.
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

#80 Feb 22, 2008
That was supposed to be "I arranged to meet him and got caught."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muskegon Heights Boy Scout Camp? Oct '14 achilles3456 1
Restaurant review: Boar's Belly a welcome addit... Oct '14 Brandon Champion III 2
Holland man found sleeping in Mason County hote... Oct '14 disco stu 2
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Sep '14 marlene70 13
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) Sep '14 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep '14 backdrop001 1
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Sep '14 Prayers for Jessica 11
Fruitport Dating
Find my Match

Fruitport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fruitport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fruitport

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:09 pm PST