College student beaten and robbed whi...

College student beaten and robbed while delivering pizza

There are 47 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Dec 12, 2007, titled College student beaten and robbed while delivering pizza. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Matt Gelderloos looks terrible. His lip is swollen, his eye is black, and his face is covered with cuts and bruises.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ken from Muskegon

Grand Haven, MI

#1 Dec 12, 2007
See this is why the muskegon heights Police Department has always had problems and as the saying goes, When you need a cop they are nowher to be found and when you don't they cause problems
Ben

Greenville, MI

#2 Dec 12, 2007
That muskegon for you. I would never be a delivery driver. I'm glad he is ok and I hope they catch that person and beat the living crap out of them.
Jason

Portland, MI

#3 Dec 12, 2007
This is one of the reasons why you should always tip your delivery guy. I used to be one, and it's no picnic even in small towns. Hazard pay!
Jason

Portland, MI

#4 Dec 12, 2007
t-i-p is a banned word?!

tip?

Since: Oct 07

GR

#5 Dec 12, 2007
I bet this would be front page news had the victim been black and the assailants white. Celebrate diversity.
Tommy

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 12, 2007
THIS IS A HATE CRIME! BUT NO ONE WILL SPEAK UP!
whatever

Grand Haven, MI

#7 Dec 12, 2007
Poor kid could have been killed.
You want chicken wings, go pick them up!
dmb

Sun Prairie, WI

#8 Dec 12, 2007
Ben wrote:
That muskegon for you. I would never be a delivery driver. I'm glad he is ok and I hope they catch that person and beat the living crap out of them.
That is Muskegon Heights not Muskegon and crime happens everywhere even in the safe little suburb you live in. But I agree with you an eye and for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
pizzia

Rockford, MI

#9 Dec 12, 2007
That store owner should have his a.s.s. kicked for not calling 911, what color was he? and kinda person doesnt help someone,he should be in jail too! Hope this kid will be ok
EyesRopenRyours

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Dec 12, 2007
The clerk at the store wouldn't help and even the police were suspicious of this bruised and bloody kid....unbelieveable! Thank God he wasn't hurt more seriously because those people could be responsible for his death, all because they wouldn't help him. They should be ashamed! As for those who beat and robbed him - God knows who they are.

What goes around comes around......
EyesRopenRyours

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Dec 12, 2007
I guess b-l-o-o-d-y is a banned word too???
debbie

Jenison, MI

#12 Dec 12, 2007
I am so taken aback that this young man was robbed and beaten. I realize times are tough with the economy in Michigan but how can this happen. I am so angry that the convience store turned him away when he asked for help and was clearly beaten.. If he would of been the same nationality I'm sure they would of helped him. Shame on them. I wonder how well their business will do now.How can they sleep at night!

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#13 Dec 12, 2007
pizzia wrote:
That store owner should have his a.s.s. kicked for not calling 911, what color was he? and kinda person doesnt help someone,he should be in jail too! Hope this kid will be ok
The owner of the store was on the news & confroted by the teen with a news crew. It was a mistake he says omg! he should be shut down. did anyone else see the crime watch sign on the side of his store? ya right he is no better than the creeps that robbed & beat this kid. thank god this boy is ok & able to tell what happened.
nunya

Petoskey, MI

#14 Dec 12, 2007
outdoors lover wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner of the store was on the news & confroted by the teen with a news crew. It was a mistake he says omg! he should be shut down. did anyone else see the crime watch sign on the side of his store? ya right he is no better than the creeps that robbed & beat this kid. thank god this boy is ok & able to tell what happened.
I agree the store should be held responsible. I definately would not be giving them my business.
Brad Boes

Holland, MI

#15 Dec 13, 2007
I don't want to make this a race issue, as the "honorable" Rev. Sharpten would do; however if this happened to a black man in a white neighborhood, how big of a deal would this be. As it stands, it is yesterday's news and it will be forgotten by the weekend!
tickedoff

United States

#16 Dec 13, 2007
as kid rock states in his new song,... your almost embarrassed to be white. we just let anyone run us down and don't stand up for ourselves. i am embarrassed, and i feel sorry for the white, we are letting ourselves be pushed aside.
tickedoff

United States

#17 Dec 13, 2007
i am not from n.y., my company internet is, i am from muskegon
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

#18 Dec 13, 2007
debbie wrote:
I am so taken aback that this young man was robbed and beaten. I realize times are tough with the economy in Michigan but how can this happen. I am so angry that the convience store turned him away when he asked for help and was clearly beaten.. If he would of been the same nationality I'm sure they would of helped him. Shame on them. I wonder how well their business will do now.How can they sleep at night!
Are you for real Debby? Is this the first time you have seen the news in 20 years? Have you noticed the robberies, murders, people disappearing lately? Hello?
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

#19 Dec 13, 2007
In order to clean up that Muskegon Hghts area--all deliveries there should HALT. The good people there would make sure none of the delivery guys were assaulted-if they ever wanted wings, and pizzas ect....It is not a RIGHT that a business offers delivery you know. Even if you are Black it is still not one of YOUR RIGHTS

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#20 Dec 13, 2007
My brother used to deliver for Papa John's in college and almost all of Muskegon Heights and downtown Muskegon was a "HOT" zone that they couldn't deliver to after dark. The smaller pizza places can't afford to put those kind of zones into place, but they really should.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Kaley Park Kennels (Jul '10) Jan 25 KaleyParkKennels 15
Wayne "Static" Wells - Muskegon Native Jan 20 Roger Thomas 1
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jan '16 Robert 179
News Feds: Woman stuffed $1.9 million in purse over ... Jan '16 Ray 3
larry Dec '15 mofo 3
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Dec '15 redrum 13
News This is the season of giving and no better way ... Dec '15 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fruitport Mortgages