Child dies at daycare facility

Child dies at daycare facility

There are 84 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 3, 2008, titled Child dies at daycare facility. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A young child was found dead at a daycare last week, but it does not appear the death was criminal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

moron

Bay City, MI

#22 Apr 3, 2008
this lady should be ashamed. these are children she was hired to protect.
D to the P

Athens, TN

#23 Apr 3, 2008
I'm curious, do kids at daycare centers somehow die in a higher percentage than the rest of the at home population? If not, then I don't see the relevance in this story one damn bit.
CassieG

Amelia Court House, VA

#24 Apr 3, 2008
mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your answwer is....A PYRAMID SCHEME. I see. No thank you.
Where did you see me say something stupid like that? Do you assume that all people who work at home are involved in pyramid schemes? Did you bother to click on the link that I provided?

You need to get informed. There are many other ways to make money at home or even part time outside the home, ways that you can put your own talents and skills to use, work around your family, and get your kids out of daycare.

Here is another example of women who have built a career while around their families' schedules rather than working in their families around their work schedules. Working Mother magazine has named their business one of the 2008 Best Women-Owned Companies in its April issue.

http://www.workingmother.com/web;jsessionid=E...

"They teach martial arts and self-defense skills to western Michigan families.

"Thanks to classes like Family Taekwon-Do, this bustling studio is always full of children, and instructors’ kids are welcome to hang out and learn some moves while Mommy teaches—all lessons are free for staffers’ families. Everyone works part-time, including the two moms who own the business. Teachers can cherry-pick the hours that suit them and take unlimited time off, provided they give advance notice. "

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2008/...

"For both women, family is the main focus, alternating nights they teach. They cover for each other for the circumstances that arise in family life."
ex-daycare mom

Allegan, MI

#25 Apr 4, 2008
I was a licensed daycare provider for over 5 years. I closed up shop when I realized I was making $1.60 an HOUR. How many of you work for that? I had my house inspected before I started daycare too. The big concern for the inspector, I didn't have the correct type of vent on my dryer! She didn't check to see if I had cleaning products out of reach, or cabinet door locks. Just my dryer vent. I suggest parents interview for daycare. Did you get your job without answering some tough questions? Figure out whats most important to you, and ask questions regarding it. Don't count on the state of Michigan to do your work for you!
ex-daycare mom

Allegan, MI

#26 Apr 4, 2008
Oh, and even if you do all the checks. Accidents happen. They can happen if the child is with Mom or Dad, Grandma, Grandpa. Sometimes its just an accident. Sad, but true.
mom of 2

Washington, MI

#27 Apr 4, 2008
CassieG wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you see me say something stupid like that? Do you assume that all people who work at home are involved in pyramid schemes? Did you bother to click on the link that I provided?
You need to get informed. There are many other ways to make money at home or even part time outside the home, ways that you can put your own talents and skills to use, work around your family, and get your kids out of daycare.
Here is another example of women who have built a career while around their families' schedules rather than working in their families around their work schedules. Working Mother magazine has named their business one of the 2008 Best Women-Owned Companies in its April issue.
http://www.workingmother.com/web;jsessionid=E...
"They teach martial arts and self-defense skills to western Michigan families.
"Thanks to classes like Family Taekwon-Do, this bustling studio is always full of children, and instructors’ kids are welcome to hang out and learn some moves while Mommy teaches—all lessons are free for staffers’ families. Everyone works part-time, including the two moms who own the business. Teachers can cherry-pick the hours that suit them and take unlimited time off, provided they give advance notice. "
http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2008/...
"For both women, family is the main focus, alternating nights they teach. They cover for each other for the circumstances that arise in family life."
My family IS my main focus..hence the reason I work to provide food and shelter and all the other things they need in life. Just because I work does not mean I love my chilren any less than a stay at home mother. I actually do stay at home with my children during the winter monts, my job allows me to take Dec. through March off, but I enjoy my job. There is nothing wrong with people enjoying their children AND enjoying their jobs.
Stroosinator

Saint Charles, IL

#28 Apr 4, 2008
Cassie,
Your statement was completely ignorant. Are you saying that accidents NEVER happen at home?
Get real.
Carrie

United States

#29 Apr 4, 2008
quit complaining wrote:
because it's every woman's dream to give up her career to have children. just because you have kids does not mean you want to stay at home with them. having children in today's overpopulated world is selfish and narcissistic. shame on all of you for overpopulating the world more. it's called birth control.
So, your answer to this problem is to no longer increase the population by not having any more children? Children are a gift from God. Maybe you think your children aren't gifts, but they are. God has entrusted them to your care to raise for only a short time. I have 3 children and have tried it both ways (work & daycare and stay-at-home). I choose do stay at home with my children because it was better for our family and my sanity. Single mothers and fathers do not have this choice unless they are wealthy. The problem is not really population control but day care control.
friend of the Germans

Muskegon, MI

#30 Apr 4, 2008
I think it is important for everyone to know that Amy German is a wonderful person you cares deeply for the children in her care. This tragedy that has occured was no ones fault, not Amy's, not the parents, not the state....it just happened. I believe you will find the investigation will reach the same conclusion. I think everyone right now just needs to pray for the family who lost their child and for the German family who has been deeply hurt by what has occured in their home.
Julie

United States

#31 Apr 4, 2008
mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your answwer is....A PYRAMID SCHEME. I see. No thank you. I help my parents run a family business and have for the past 7 years. There is nothing wrong with working outside the home. If everyone stayed at home with their children this world would stop.think about it!?It is impossible. Everyone has a choice to make for their family, they do the best they can. There are some wonderful daycares out there...parents just need to do their research and check up on the daycares.
Uh...do you even know what a pyramid scheme is? I mean really? They are illegal, and have been closely monitored by the federal government for decades, which shuts them down as soon as they discover them. I'm not assuming that every mom, or dad for that matter, wants to stay home with their children, but there are ways to make it work if that's what you want. Legal, moral, and ethical ways. Don't close your mind to the opportunities that are out there. Decide what you want your life to look like, and find ways to make it work! Don't let your job (and paycheck) define your life!!

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#32 Apr 4, 2008
word in edgewise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is a sad story. But I'd be willing to bet (assuming the child had two parents) that the mother would rather have been home w\ the child. However in this day and age it's hard. Sometimes people are too caught up in the lifestyle to have to give up anything. Sometimes it just takes both of them to put food on the table and roof over their heads.
It's not just in this day and age. In the early 70s we had to sign a promise that my wife would continue working and not get pregnant for at least 5 years in order to get approval for our mortgage.
Brenda Nicolai

Virginia Beach, VA

#33 Apr 4, 2008
I would like to reply to the people online making horrible comments regarding parents and daycares. Who do people think they are and especially to make judgements on people they do not know? I personally know Wendi (Drew's mother) and can I say what a beautiful loving mother and all around good person. What a wonderful world it would be if all us new day mothers could be June Cleaver stay at home and only worry about having dinner on the table for Ward when he gets home!Wake up and smell the forclosures people. We read it in the papers and here about it one the news daily, how bad the economty is. So who in the world do you think you are judging or saying anything bad about two parents that have just lived a parents worse nightmare! Can I borrow your silver spoon or maybe you should just stay silent with such ignorant thoughts. Have you considered the pain you are adding with such thoughtless words?
SIDS

Minneapolis, MN

#34 Apr 4, 2008
All, lets show some compassion…the death of a child is devastating to all who love and care for them.

It is the sad truth that babies pass away at home, at grandma’s, at friends, at daycare, anywhere and everywhere. SIDS takes over 6 babies every day in the U.S.

For you that want to jump to a conclusion that these deaths can be eliminated by you staying home with your baby, you have a hard lesson to learn, I pray you do not have to learn it first hand.

Lets all get a little education.

SIDS is the sudden death of an infant under one year of age which remains unexplained after a thorough case investigation, including performance of a complete autopsy, examination of the death scene, and review of the clinical history.(Willinger et al, 1991).

In a typical situation parents check on their supposedly sleeping infant to find him or her dead. This is the worse tragedy parents can face, a tragedy which leaves them with a sadness and a feeling of vulnerability that lasts throughout their lives. Since medicine can not tell them why their baby died, they blame themselves and often other innocent people. Their lives and those around them are changed forever.

A lack of answers is part of what makes sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) so frightening. SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants who are 1 month to 1 year old, and claims the lives of about 2,500 infants each year in the United States. It remains unpredictable despite years of research. Even so, you can take steps to help reduce the risk of SIDS in your infant. First and foremost, put your infant to sleep on his or her back if the baby is younger than 1 year old.
Searching for Answers
As the name implies, SIDS is the sudden and unexplained death of an infant who is younger than 1 year old. It is a frightening prospect because it can strike without warning, usually in a seemingly healthy infant. Most SIDS deaths are associated with sleep (hence the common reference to "crib death"), and infants who die of SIDS show no signs of suffering.
While most conditions or diseases usually are diagnosed by the presence of specific symptoms, most SIDS diagnoses come only after all other possible causes of death have been ruled out through a review of the infant's medical history and environment. This review helps distinguish true SIDS deaths from those resulting from accidents, abuse, and previously undiagnosed conditions, such as cardiac or metabolic disorders.
When considering which babies could be most at risk, no single risk factor is likely to be sufficient to cause a SIDS death. Rather, several risk factors combined may contribute to cause an at-risk infant to die of SIDS.
Most deaths due to SIDS occur between 2 and 4 months of age, and incidence increases during cold weather. African-American infants are twice as likely and Native American infants are about three times more likely to die of SIDS than caucasian infants. More boys than girls fall victim to SIDS.
Other potential risk factors include:
• smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
• poor prenatal care
• prematurity or low birth-weight
• mothers younger than 20
• smoke exposure following birth
• overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
• stomach sleeping
Sue Sidock

Virginia Beach, VA

#35 Apr 4, 2008
Please everyone reading these remarks please keep in mind the horrible tradegedy these parents have been through. This is not the place to debate daycare issues, this should be a place to show support and love for this family. PLEASE stop all the negative opinions and just pray for everyone involved. PLEASE
mom of 2

Lansing, MI

#36 Apr 4, 2008
Connie NE Grand Rapids wrote:
Unfortunatley Moms have to be very carefull with daycare. My children were in daycare at a home from 1998 till 2006. My older child discovered some horrible things going on. I know stay home and thank god I am able to. I know not all people can. My advise is to try a facility and if using a home daycare make randoms check ins. These daycare homes need to be reviewed better. Those who oversee them should do a better job.
and you had your kids there for 8 years??? I would blame you for that...you should have known something at one point or another!
mom of 2

Lansing, MI

#37 Apr 4, 2008
mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My family IS my main focus..hence the reason I work to provide food and shelter and all the other things they need in life. Just because I work does not mean I love my chilren any less than a stay at home mother. I actually do stay at home with my children during the winter monts, my job allows me to take Dec. through March off, but I enjoy my job. There is nothing wrong with people enjoying their children AND enjoying their jobs.
Amen! I work to provide my kids with things I want to be able to give them...Not material things. Things like T-ball, and dance class or and extra movie at the movie store for Saturday night. I don't think cassie's ever struggled. I work for extras, and I enjoy every minute of the extras I get with my kids.
grmomma

Dearborn, MI

#38 Apr 4, 2008
Sue Sidock wrote:
Please everyone reading these remarks please keep in mind the horrible tradegedy these parents have been through. This is not the place to debate daycare issues, this should be a place to show support and love for this family. PLEASE stop all the negative opinions and just pray for everyone involved. PLEASE
Thank you Sue for stating the obvious. I was on the forum a few weeks back, when the other precious angel lost his life in the care of his daycare provider, and it was the same exact scenario..people pointing fingers and being SO insensitive towards the parents AND provider!!! Everyone feels it's their opportunity to speak their minds about what they WOULD have done, instead of speaking words of kindness and comfort in these VERY difficult times..I pray fo ALL lives affected by the loss of this little angel. As a mother of 2 myself, I can not imagine the pain all of you are feeling. My thoughts and prayers go out to ALL of you !!!
working mom

Shelbyville, MI

#39 Apr 4, 2008
my heart goes out to both families. this is very sad, but there are no facts yet, there is no answer as to why he died so all of you passing judgement on the daycare provider should be ashamed of yourselves.
Iwannabejustlike you

Sterling Heights, MI

#40 Apr 4, 2008
CassieG wrote:
The headline should have read:
Another child dies at a daycare facility.
I am not saying that the daycare provider was at fault. I won't go there. But how many more children have to die at daycares before parents start staying home and taking care of their own kids?

Sorry miss perfect some of do have to work and don't have the pleasure of staing home with the kids....I'm sure there are plenty of us that would rather take care of our own kids as you kindly put it..
Iwannabejustlike you

Sterling Heights, MI

#41 Apr 4, 2008
quit complaining wrote:
because it's every woman's dream to give up her career to have children. just because you have kids does not mean you want to stay at home with them. having children in today's overpopulated world is selfish and narcissistic. shame on all of you for overpopulating the world more. it's called birth control.

LOL...you sound bitter .....LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: All Seasons RV Aug 27 Jenn 1
Review: Lakeshore RV Center Aug 25 Camping68 1
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Aug 23 TJJ 170
Looking for feedback on Teen Challenge, especia... Jul '15 Mary_Lincoln 1
News Top 5 things to do this weekend Jul '15 District 1 1
News Western Michigan woman sends 17,000 valentines ... (Feb '06) Jul '15 Da Doo Ron Ron 5
Review: Kaley Park Kennels (Jul '10) Jul '15 Oakley5630 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fruitport Mortgages