Child dies at daycare facility

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A young child was found dead at a daycare last week, but it does not appear the death was criminal.
Comments
1 - 20 of 84 Comments Last updated Jun 11, 2008
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jason

Byron Center, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Glad I stay at home now..........sorry for your loss.
another student

Holt, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

that is terrible! just such sad news to hear. my heart goes out to the family of the infant.
MKylie

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Let's not jump to conclusions. There are no answers, only questions.
CassieG

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

The headline should have read:

Another child dies at a daycare facility.

I am not saying that the daycare provider was at fault. I won't go there. But how many more children have to die at daycares before parents start staying home and taking care of their own kids?
word in edgewise

Trenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

CassieG wrote:
I am not saying that the daycare provider was at fault. I won't go there. But how many more children have to die at daycares before parents start staying home and taking care of their own kids?
Yes it is a sad story. But I'd be willing to bet (assuming the child had two parents) that the mother would rather have been home w\ the child. However in this day and age it's hard. Sometimes people are too caught up in the lifestyle to have to give up anything. Sometimes it just takes both of them to put food on the table and roof over their heads.
A single mom

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

CassieG wrote:
When one doesn't have to work to survive and provide for her children!! I would love to stay at home with my children, however I am a single mother so I have to work and there are many out there just like me. Not all daycares are bad. My sister is a daycare provider and a mother of 3 and she would never let anything bad happen at her daycare and I also know that where she lives the state inspectors are on top of things. She does not fall through the cracks with anything. One can't always fault the the daycare provider.
mom of 2

Washington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

CassieG wrote:
May I ask what do you suggest parents do with their children when both mom and dad have to work? Not everyone can have one parent stay home.Not everyone has a relative or a friend that can watch their children. Money is very tight in most homes these days. I think the state needs to inspect and monetor centers alot closer than what they are. It seems as if they are only finfing these violations AFTER a child has died. This is the second case in only a few months. Very, very sad. There are way too many violations in these centers nd these are only the centers that are being brought to light.There are many, many wonderful daycares out there that follow the rules and run daycare for the right reasons, you just have to do your research.
mom of 2

Washington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

A single mom wrote:
<quoted text>When one doesn't have to work to survive and provide for her children!! I would love to stay at home with my children, however I am a single mother so I have to work and there are many out there just like me. Not all daycares are bad. My sister is a daycare provider and a mother of 3 and she would never let anything bad happen at her daycare and I also know that where she lives the state inspectors are on top of things. She does not fall through the cracks with anything. One can't always fault the the daycare provider.
I agree. I ran a daycare too and I had a great inspector. But it seems as thought something is lacking lately. Too many violations...being noticed too late.I don't think that in either of these recent cases the violations really had anything to do with the deaths...but still the violations are still there and they should not be.
A single mom

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Also what is sad is that the violations that they are being sighted for may be very minor and have nothing to do with the childs death in anyway, the state just has to protect their butt now. That is also sad too. It makes these daycares look like they are bad, when really the state needs to get off there butt and monitor these daycares more efficiently.
A single mom

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

mom of 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I ran a daycare too and I had a great inspector. But it seems as thought something is lacking lately. Too many violations...being noticed too late.I don't think that in either of these recent cases the violations really had anything to do with the deaths...but still the violations are still there and they should not be.
I totally agree with you.
CassieG

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

A single mom wrote:
Also what is sad is that the violations that they are being sighted for may be very minor and have nothing to do with the childs death in anyway, the state just has to protect their butt now. That is also sad too. It makes these daycares look like they are bad, when really the state needs to get off there butt and monitor these daycares more efficiently.
But until then, what do you do? You place your kids in daycare knowing that they are not regulated enough to be considered safe. You are pretty much placing your child at the mercy of the state.

I honestly think that there are plenty of other options for families who need two incomes. All it takes is some research. Don't paint yourselves into a corner by telling yourselves that you HAVE to work outside the home. Doing that only limits your possibilities.
Single mom

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

CassieG wrote:
<quoted text>
But until then, what do you do? You place your kids in daycare knowing that they are not regulated enough to be considered safe. You are pretty much placing your child at the mercy of the state.
I honestly think that there are plenty of other options for families who need two incomes. All it takes is some research. Don't paint yourselves into a corner by telling yourselves that you HAVE to work outside the home. Doing that only limits your possibilities.
And what do you want the single moms or divorced moms or dads to do?? Live on welfare?? I put myself through nursing school to be able to give my son a good life and so I didn't have to live off welfare for the rest of my life!! Some people don't have the luxury to stay home. I would have loved to stay home with my child, but it was not an option. Thank god I had a wonderful babysitter!! And today I still have a wonderful daycare provider. I feel very comfortable dropping my daughter off there!! Do I like leaving her...no!! But I know that she is safe and she is with other children whose parents are in the same situation.
Gail in Wyoming

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

How sad to hear of another child who died. My heart goes out to the family and everyone who loved this child.

We have no facts in this case, except for the fact that their are violations. Isn't it funny that these violations are found after a child's death. The State better get on the ball!
CassieG

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Single moms can do it, too. As I said, it just takes some effort and some research.

Jill Cooper and Tawra Kellam are frugal living experts and the editors of www.LivingOnADime.com . As a single mother of two, Jill Cooper started her own business without any capital and paid off $35,000 debt in 5 years on $1,000 a month income. Tawra and her husband paid off $20,000 debt in 5 years on $22,000 a year income.

If you want more examples, I can find them. And so can you. If you really wish you could stay at home, you can accept the premise that you can make it happen. You must be able to figure out something that you can do with your nursing skills that will enable you to set your own hours and be at home with your children.
Another Mom

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

My heart goes out to this family.

As someone that has done daycare in the past and know other that have also I have a suggestion to parents w/ kids in daycare:

1)Be the one to not rely on the state to check on your daycare. Know the rules and look around yourself. The daycare provider almost always knows when the state will check on them.

2)Visit your daycare unexpectedly, like on your lunch break when possible, have your spouse do this also. Perhaps a grandparent or Aunt can stop in and take your toddler to lunch and peak in. Of course they would have to be on a list to be able to do this and the daycare should contact you.

3)The house is ALWAYS SOOOOO clean? ask yourself "if this person is spending time with your child or cleaning all day?"
It is nice that you leave your kids in a clean envirnment but if it's always to picked up, to clean, it can be questionable for up to 6 kids in their care.
quit complaining

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

because it's every woman's dream to give up her career to have children. just because you have kids does not mean you want to stay at home with them. having children in today's overpopulated world is selfish and narcissistic. shame on all of you for overpopulating the world more. it's called birth control.
mom of 2

Washington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

quit complaining wrote:
because it's every woman's dream to give up her career to have children. just because you have kids does not mean you want to stay at home with them. having children in today's overpopulated world is selfish and narcissistic. shame on all of you for overpopulating the world more. it's called birth control.
I take care of my children. There is nothing selfish about it. Sorry you feel the way you do.....
mom of 2

Washington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

CassieG wrote:
Single moms can do it, too. As I said, it just takes some effort and some research.
Jill Cooper and Tawra Kellam are frugal living experts and the editors of www.LivingOnADime.com . As a single mother of two, Jill Cooper started her own business without any capital and paid off $35,000 debt in 5 years on $1,000 a month income. Tawra and her husband paid off $20,000 debt in 5 years on $22,000 a year income.
If you want more examples, I can find them. And so can you. If you really wish you could stay at home, you can accept the premise that you can make it happen. You must be able to figure out something that you can do with your nursing skills that will enable you to set your own hours and be at home with your children.
So your answwer is....A PYRAMID SCHEME. I see. No thank you. I help my parents run a family business and have for the past 7 years. There is nothing wrong with working outside the home. If everyone stayed at home with their children this world would stop.think about it!?It is impossible. Everyone has a choice to make for their family, they do the best they can. There are some wonderful daycares out there...parents just need to do their research and check up on the daycares.
Connie NE Grand Rapids

Mount Pleasant, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Unfortunatley Moms have to be very carefull with daycare. My children were in daycare at a home from 1998 till 2006. My older child discovered some horrible things going on. I know stay home and thank god I am able to. I know not all people can. My advise is to try a facility and if using a home daycare make randoms check ins. These daycare homes need to be reviewed better. Those who oversee them should do a better job.
Single Father

Middleville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Sometimes you have no choice. I am a single father of 2. I researched, hope, and pray I picked the right person/center to place my children. This is a tragity and nothing should take away from that. I am sure the parents of that child feel enough guilt... I know I would...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fruitport Discussions

Search the Fruitport Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Wed gottondas 5,482
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jul 12 tjj 147
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Jun 27 barbara bellis 12
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Heroin and Marijuana Jun '14 Tony Rowe 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fruitport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fruitport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••