Man accused of shooting dog charged

Man accused of shooting dog charged

There are 68 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 10, 2009, titled Man accused of shooting dog charged. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A Muskegon County man faces felony charges and up to four years in prison if he is convicted of shooting a dog without a just cause.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

zot

“thats my prarie dog kitty”

Since: Nov 07

#46 Apr 11, 2009
when i read some of the reply's to this topic,
i think only one thing,assclown!
hyuck hyuck i got me a gun imma gonna shoot it and shoot it and shoot it cuz i think i can.im glad i never had to be near one of you assclowns while i was in the army you probably would shoot anything that moved
Mom in Jenison

Westminster, CO

#47 Apr 11, 2009
zot wrote:
<quoted text>
so,if you wander in to my yard can i consider you a stray as well?
I guess that depends - is Richard licensed?
grparadox

Englewood, CO

#49 Apr 11, 2009
My refernce is that the dog never bit him, so either law is irrelevant. He shot him because he could. 4 years is not enough, and it's time they make someone an example.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#50 Apr 11, 2009
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
If a dog wanders into my yard it's a stray dog.
And if you wonder into my yard, You are a burgler,
I dont care if I have to drag you in the house to make it legal!
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#51 Apr 11, 2009
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you wonder into my yard, You are a burgler,
I dont care if I have to drag you in the house to make it legal!
A little paranoid?
ron

Ann Arbor, MI

#52 Apr 11, 2009
omfg...reading these statements from people makes me say...stupid people shouldnt breed....the dog was friendly..the guy who shot the dog was acting out of revenge...this idiot used stupid judgement and deserves what he gets...some of you people read what ya want to see and not what is written...you people scare the hell out of me.
lost in translation

Broomfield, CO

#53 Apr 11, 2009
The moral of the story:

If you do not want to take the risk of your dog being shot, you should keep it tied up, keep it in your home or in a dog run when unattended.(This would also apply if you do not want your animal hit by a car *wink*.)
Dave

Delton, MI

#54 Apr 11, 2009
who in the world do theese people think they are to charge a man for shooting a dog in his yard and possibly give him 4 years in prison that I have to pay for his room and board in the first place 4 years is very unreasonable and why don't you keep your dogs in your own yard
Broke in Michigan

Wyoming, MI

#55 Apr 11, 2009
This is a perfect example of a situation out of control.
The neighbor should have controled their animal. Dogs have a 3yr old mind set. Would you let your 3 yr old wander alone in your neighborhood? IF and this is a big IF the animal was aggressively challenging the person who shot them...then yes shoot the dog.
Sounds like 2 wrongs were committed here. That doesn't make it right to send the guy to jail...Big fines for being trigger happy, pay all vet bills. And maybe a fine or 2 for having an animal out of control playing tourist in the neighborhood for the owner.
Carol Edwards

Richmond, KY

#56 Apr 11, 2009
Just goes to show you how screwed up people are. He shot his neighbors dog! How messed up can you be.
twiggy

Rockford, MI

#57 Apr 11, 2009
Richard wrote:
NO ONE should be punished for shooting a stray dog or cat.
You are a moron. Just because the dog was wandering around at that moment doesnt mean he wasnt a pet to someone. What if he belonged to some little kid.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Since: Oct 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#58 Apr 11, 2009
I would certainly not go to this extreme, however some stray animals might have felt the sting of a bee-bee or two on their hind quarters as a little reminder to not come onto my property.
nohelp from vectorcontrol

Syracuse, NY

#59 Apr 11, 2009
I hope the man gets off, cause if the owner can't control his dog and he wondered on to my property I would have shot that dog too. He has rights to protect his property and family, and it is not like he killed the thing, if it were me it would have been lights out for that dog!!

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#60 Apr 11, 2009
zot wrote:
when i read some of the reply's to this topic,
i think only one thing,****!
hyuck hyuck i got me a gun imma gonna shoot it and shoot it and shoot it cuz i think i can.im glad i never had to be near one of you assclowns while i was in the army you probably would shoot anything that moved
So,.. you say its o-k to shoot a dog, just because it walked on your property?
A Mom

Erie, CO

#61 Apr 11, 2009
Why aren't you people leashing your pets? What the heck is the matter with you? If you have a pet and let it run loose and it attacks others, you are in deep trouble!! I don't believe any animal should be shot unless it is attacking someone but then again, the owner should not have let his pet run loose. I have had other owner's dogs come on my property, there are two laws governing this and I call and make sure they get letters telling them this or call the local animal shelter to report them. I don't have a dog and when I did, they definitely were tied up all the time.
Twiggy

Rockford, MI

#62 Apr 11, 2009
From another Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
How about doing something useful like feeding the animal and trying to find it's owner?. How about taking it to one of the many no kill animal shelters available in your county? Your comment shows your lack of compassion. I pity you!!
Do you know where there is a no kill animal shelter in the GR area? If you do, could you please put it on here?
Thanks
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#63 Apr 11, 2009
Twiggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know where there is a no kill animal shelter in the GR area? If you do, could you please put it on here?
Thanks
There is a waiting period which would give the owner time to retrieve their pooch.

zot

“thats my prarie dog kitty”

Since: Nov 07

#64 Apr 11, 2009
Gville Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
So,.. you say its o-k to shoot a dog, just because it walked on your property?
umm no re-read the post
jbristol

Idlewild, MI

#65 Apr 11, 2009
I hope he gets the max sentance.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#66 Apr 11, 2009
jbristol wrote:
I hope he gets the max sentance.
I do too, he's just mean. Anyone that can do that to a friendly dog has done rotten crap to people too. If people get upset that it is too much time, I see it that he is probably just doing time for all the crap he's done. BTW, I don't know him, but I sure don't like his actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for an old aquaintance Jun 25 D416MO 1
News Renewing Port of Muskegon: Michigan Regional Pr... Jun 22 used and abused 1
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jun 21 TJJ 183
News Miss Michigan's platform to highlight diversity... Jun 20 Kelly 1
Review: All Seasons RV (Aug '15) Apr '16 Ebay buyer 5
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1
Review: Kaley Park Kennels (Jul '10) Apr '16 theresachalko 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fruitport Mortgages