Man accused of shooting dog charged

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A Muskegon County man faces felony charges and up to four years in prison if he is convicted of shooting a dog without a just cause.
Comments
1 - 20 of 68 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
shaker

Taylor, MI

#1 Apr 10, 2009
Good I'm glad he was charged! What the hell is wrong with people thinking just cause they own a gun they can fire it at will or at animals... what a low life
Dog Owner

Muskegon, MI

#2 Apr 10, 2009
How about we shoot this guy in HIS leg and let him walk with a limp to see how he likes it.
Richard

Syracuse, NY

#3 Apr 10, 2009
NO ONE should be punished for shooting a stray dog or cat.
koolaid kid

Holland, MI

#4 Apr 10, 2009
The dog wasn't a stray and YES THEY SHOULD be punished to the fullest extent. A person who treats animals poorly will treat people just as bad (or worse.)
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#5 Apr 10, 2009
Richard wrote:
How about doing something useful like feeding the animal and trying to find it's owner?. How about taking it to one of the many no kill animal shelters available in your county? Your comment shows your lack of compassion. I pity you!!
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#6 Apr 10, 2009
Why would anyone shoot their neighbors dog? Then he changed his story. Sounds like he was getting his thrills and will no pay the price. I hope some dog loving inmate gets a hold of this creep.
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#7 Apr 10, 2009
Richard wrote:
Your total lack of compassion is disgusting. How about taking the dog (if it is a stray-doesn't sound that way from the story) to a "No Kill Animal Shelter" or trying to find it's owner? Most normal people would do that and not shoot it!
Dog Owner

Wayland, MI

#8 Apr 10, 2009
I agree. I have always looked for tags on a dog or called the county animal control if they didn't have one on. I don't agree with shooting them. But I do however live in the country and a lot of people throw stray cats out here. Then they breed and have wild babies that hiss and fight with my pets. My pets are neutered and are up to date on shots and on flea preventative etc. They have also gotten into my garage and sprayed. Cat urine is disgusting. I don't feel that shooting one of them or live trapping and shooting the wild ones is bad at all. they carry lots of disease. You can obviously tell if an animal is someone's pet vs a mangy animal that is not cared for and is terrified of human contact.
concerned

Redmond, WA

#9 Apr 10, 2009
they need to enforce this law state My dog was shot leaving my neighbors yard and came home with 4 holes in him i called the cops and they didn't do nothing about it
Just Me

Blanchard, MI

#10 Apr 10, 2009
What this guy did is definitely wrong... but c'mon, four years in prison?! There's CHILD molesters out there who only receive 12 months in prison. I think this is a bit much...
wow

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Apr 10, 2009
This story really makes you wonder ... about several things! First, I wonder if this was an on-going thing that the guy was frustrated about and maybe spoke to his neighbor already. I wonder if there's a leash law where he lives and if he could have called animal control or the sherriff to speak to the neighbor about keeping there dog in their yard. There are just so many possible scenarios and as usual, the "news" doesn't tell the whole story.

It sure seems extreme to shoot the poor dog ..but I agree, with "just me" - 4 years in prison seems like too much when there are far worse criminals out there getting far less time.

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Since: Jan 09

Grandville, MI

#12 Apr 10, 2009
The dog was not attacking him, obviously since it was shot from behind. I have a dog and they are great pets. My son was bit by a dog while we were walking, the people never tied the dog up. Cops were called and did nothing. Everytime we walk down that street I carry my handgun for protection. The cop said we were not the first. I do not want to shoot that dog, however if he attacks my son again I will have no choice. Hopfully that never happens. If this guy was defending himself it would be alright, but he wasn't, so burn him!
Southfork

North Fort Myers, FL

#13 Apr 10, 2009
Its just a dog. Keep your pets home. Did you know that it is legal to shoot a dog if it is unlicensed?
Read the 1919 dog law.
Bobby

Warren, MI

#14 Apr 10, 2009
Southfork wrote:
Its just a dog. Keep your pets home. Did you know that it is legal to shoot a dog if it is unlicensed?
Read the 1919 dog law.
Did you know that you are a giant douche?

Since: Jun 08

Grandvile

#15 Apr 10, 2009
So what is wrong with "GIT ON A OUTA HERE" to chase a dog off? We should shoot this guy in the butt and watch him limp.
Read it

Byron Center, MI

#18 Apr 11, 2009
If the dog is attacking, yes. Doesn't look like this dog would bite a flea. Sounds more like a neighbor vs neighbor problem, maybe the dog kept comming in his yard and pooping like our neighborhood but to shoot the dog was wrong. Almost everyone who owns a dog has had it get loose once or twice so if we knew more of the background it would be easier to form an opinion. Cute dog.
Read it

Byron Center, MI

#19 Apr 11, 2009
Read it wrote:
If the dog is attacking, yes. Doesn't look like this dog would bite a flea. Sounds more like a neighbor vs neighbor problem, maybe the dog kept comming in his yard and pooping like our neighborhood but to shoot the dog was wrong. Almost everyone who owns a dog has had it get loose once or twice so if we knew more of the background it would be easier to form an opinion. Cute dog.
Guess I should read the whole story and video before posting. Still is a cute dog.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#20 Apr 11, 2009
Read it wrote:
If you have a problem neighbor with their dog running loose. Live Trap it and call the Animal Control to pick it up. Just don't say a word about the owners. They will find it in County AC and have to pay a fine. Do that a few times. Neighbor under control....
Jim Sturgeon

Syracuse, NY

#21 Apr 11, 2009
How is it that a "beloved pet" was allowed to wander thru a neighborhood? Why do we assume that all people enjoy watching dogs crap on their lawns, dig holes in their yards, and pee on their car tires. I think that the OWNERS of these pets should either be charged with trespassing, for voilating the other home owners rights, or cruelty to animals for letting them wander UNATTENDED through a neighborhood. When are we going to place the responsibility of pet ownership where it belongs!
Richard

Syracuse, NY

#22 Apr 11, 2009
koolaid kid wrote:
The dog wasn't a stray and YES THEY SHOULD be punished to the fullest extent. A person who treats animals poorly will treat people just as bad (or worse.)
If a dog wanders into my yard it's a stray dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 117
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) 8 hr just the tip 303
Golden Corral (Muskegon ) (Mar '11) Sun T Man 11
A strong spirit: 'Save Our City' hosts health s... Aug 21 lonewolf 1
Newlyweds take vows at hockey rink Aug 6 Smooth 10
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Aug '14 Jonny 18
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
•••
•••
•••

Fruitport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fruitport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fruitport News, Events & Info