Man walks into Lakes Mall with a gun;...

Man walks into Lakes Mall with a gun; police call it an honest ...

There are 22 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Man walks into Lakes Mall with a gun; police call it an honest .... In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Police say a man walked into a Muskegon County mall today with a rifle causing a scare, but the man was only brining it in for repairs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sarah

Wayland, MI

#1 Dec 6, 2007
This almost makes me laugh.
I may be a little leery or a guy carrying a rifle, but really we should be more afraid of the things that we don't see.
grow up

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Dec 6, 2007
Considering what happened yesterday, I can see why people freaked out though.
Novacaine

Saint Charles, IL

#3 Dec 6, 2007
He is lucky he himself did not get attacked, to prevent yet another tragedy.
Sarah

Wayland, MI

#4 Dec 6, 2007
It is just really sad that this is what the world is coming to. A week or so ago my grandpa had fallen asleep in a chair at the mall.(that man can sleep anywhere). As I walked up to him he had his hand safely over his handgun.(He has a CCW). Now if somebody would have seen this gun...would they have called 911?
Stating the obvious

United States

#5 Dec 6, 2007
Stupid people shouldn't carry guns.........
jonD

Holland, MI

#6 Dec 6, 2007
Sarah wrote:
It is just really sad that this is what the world is coming to. A week or so ago my grandpa had fallen asleep in a chair at the mall.(that man can sleep anywhere). As I walked up to him he had his hand safely over his handgun.(He has a CCW). Now if somebody would have seen this gun...would they have called 911?
probably not, and even if they did the police would not have done anything about it.
he was protecting his weapon from theft while he slept.
I have a CCW and like my American express i never leave home without it.
oh the spelling mistakes

San Francisco, CA

#7 Dec 7, 2007
"Brining" it in for repairs?
jonD

Holland, MI

#8 Dec 7, 2007
the headline should read : sheep panic as man brings properly cased rifle in to gun store for repair.
GR Mich

Tulsa, OK

#9 Dec 7, 2007
Stating the obvious wrote:
Stupid people shouldn't carry guns.........
Who said anything about someone being stupid? Or do you just believe that nobody should own and be able to carry a gun?

“Common sense RULES ”

Since: Sep 07

West Michigan

#10 Dec 7, 2007
jonD wrote:
the headline should read : sheep panic as man brings properly cased rifle in to gun store for repair.
That's kinda what I was wondering if whether or not it was in a case. The article doesn't really mention that. Now, if this gentleman had walked into the food court with his cased gun, set it upon a table and started playing with it would have been more scary. The way the article reads it sounds like he was carrying it in the open.
hms

Ann Arbor, MI

#11 Dec 7, 2007
Ok I have mixed feelings on this.

First of all, if he was TOLD to come in to the entrance of the Sporting Goods store then WHY did he walk through the mall entrance?
Second...these news stories need to get it straight-another news station said the gun was in a case but the tip of it was pointing out of the case.
Third...I can see why people panicked due to the mall shooting the day before.

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#12 Dec 7, 2007
This is what happens when you put stores that sell guns in a shopping mall. That man had EVERY LEGAL right to bring his gun in for repairs. He should be apologized too for the inconvenience he was caused. I found it odd that police "decided" not to charge him. I was there having lunch at the Panda when this happend. It was more of a scare when the police came thru the door with assault rifles and unneccesarily lingered around after they found out it was all a mistake.
beautiful soul

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Dec 7, 2007
if he is lisences with a gun and bringing it in for repairs.. who cares..yeah it might scare someone but how did he bring it in? not pointing at anyone! it would be a different story if he was pointing at someone and came in all "bad"
RLB

Muskegon, MI

#14 Dec 7, 2007
jonD wrote:
the headline should read : sheep panic as man brings properly cased rifle in to gun store for repair.
Amen!
Lisa in Walker

Amelia Court House, VA

#15 Dec 7, 2007
The gun was partially out of the case.

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2007/12/man_w...

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#16 Dec 7, 2007
hms wrote:
Ok I have mixed feelings on this.
First of all, if he was TOLD to come in to the entrance of the Sporting Goods store then WHY did he walk through the mall entrance?
Second...these news stories need to get it straight-another news station said the gun was in a case but the tip of it was pointing out of the case.
Third...I can see why people panicked due to the mall shooting the day before.
I can answer that first question very easily. Some men don't think about the obvious. He probably went to the entrance from within the mall and thought that was where he was supposed to go.

"There is an outside entrance, really? Wow, I never knew that, I just thought the mall had the 2 entrances near the food court."

Really where do men spend their time at the mall? One of 3 places or the woman with them is miserable: The food court, the sporting goods store, or the electronics store. When the woman is done she knows where to find the man, and who to give her receipts to.

Enjoy the day! Glad it was nothing serious. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking I should call my dad and make sure that wasn't him.

Since: Aug 07

Greater Grand Rapids

#17 Dec 7, 2007
Ann from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I can answer that first question very easily. Some men don't think about the obvious. He probably went to the entrance from within the mall and thought that was where he was supposed to go.
"There is an outside entrance, really? Wow, I never knew that, I just thought the mall had the 2 entrances near the food court."
Really where do men spend their time at the mall? One of 3 places or the woman with them is miserable: The food court, the sporting goods store, or the electronics store. When the woman is done she knows where to find the man, and who to give her receipts to.
Enjoy the day! Glad it was nothing serious. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking I should call my dad and make sure that wasn't him.
On the same lines, I called the males in my family to see if it was them. Guys don't pay attention to what enterance is which. Maybe the gun should have been enclosed all the way, but sheesh come on people. The guy said he was bringning it in for repairs and then they the police are called. Real proactive there.
Nick from Shelby

Glenn, MI

#18 Dec 7, 2007
I can see how he could have been confused. There is a sign above the Food Court entrance that says Dick's Sporting Goods. He probably didn't know that the store was on the other side of the mall, where he could easily walk right into the store.

Another thing, why can you bring a gun into the store. They shouldn't be repairing guns in the mall. They should have a building off site where they do that.
Rick

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Dec 7, 2007
oh the spelling mistakes wrote:
"Brining" it in for repairs?
Sounds like your a perfectionist!
RLB

Muskegon, MI

#20 Dec 10, 2007
Nick from Shelby wrote:
I can see how he could have been confused. There is a sign above the Food Court entrance that says Dick's Sporting Goods. He probably didn't know that the store was on the other side of the mall, where he could easily walk right into the store.
Another thing, why can you bring a gun into the store. They shouldn't be repairing guns in the mall. They should have a building off site where they do that.
If you buy something at the store you should be able to return it there for repairs. Dick's would not be able to afford the overhead if they had to have a separate site just for repairs and returns. People are just too overly sensitive. And there is a sign above the food court entrance that says "Dick's Sporting Goods". I can understand why they went in that way. They probably used that entrance when they bought it. It was an innocent mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruitport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) May 26 Robert 164
cellphone May 25 hfz 1
Debate: Ferguson - Spring Lake, MI May 24 stryker 2
News Restaurant review: Boar's Belly a welcome addit... (Oct '14) May 18 dnsib1 4
PC Doc May 18 Oscar 1
Review: Touch Of Class Auto Wash Apr 29 B Ross 1
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Apr 28 Carol Taylor 19
More from around the web

Fruitport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]