Letter: Did Scott's ties to drug industry color his judgment on drug abuse data base?

Feb 20, 2011 Full story: TCPalm

Rebecca Jones, 13, holds a photo of mother Stephanie Jones, who died from liver failure that doctors said was brought on by he addition to prescription pain pills.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#1 Feb 22, 2011
i could hold a lot of photos of people i know that have died as a result of liver failure from years of ALCOHOL abuse. WAKE UP!!! RESPONSIBILITY, PERSONAL RESPONIBILITY.

“My god! She is still here?”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 22, 2011
Gov. Rick Scott campaigned under the platform that promised a reduction in State government expenditures, as well as, a reduction in the size of State government itself (loss of 5% of workforce- as a start.) He is making good on those promises, much to the chagrin of his constituents, and set a precedence by accepting a salary of $0.01 for his term as Florida's new Governor. He has pulled some funny shit, for instance, his first week in office he sold the two private jets used to shuttle State politicians to government functions and problematically, for their own personal use. He has said that the taxpayers should not be paying for him to get to work, and as for State Representatives that reside hours from Tallahassee: take a bus, train, or drive- like every other Floridian. Needless to say, he is making some enemies, but he is correct. The government should be run like a business, and held just as accountable. Where else (but government) would an inefficient, ineffective, and costly policy be "fixed" by dumping more money into it without considering just one of the countless alternative options?

Knowing this about Gov. Scott it seems unlikely that he is motivated by past ties to drug companies. The creation of a Prescription Monitoring Program would cost the State a significant amount of money and resources, not to mention the creation of an intrastate agency that would oversee the creation and implementation of this tremendous database and all the policies, procedures, rules, and regulations associated with its use, access, ETC. Although this would initially create a few jobs, the benefits of this would be outweighed by the cost to the State.

This won't be the last time you hear about Gov. Rick Scott and his "inaction" when it involves Florida's prescription drug issues. Aside from local ordnances, there is virtually no regulation of "pill mills." Gov. Scott won't be passing any state-wide laws involving restrictions on small business creation and operation, even pill mills. At least, not any time soon.

I am sure we will all read about prescription drug abuse on the rise and since there has to be someone to blame, Gov. Scott makes a great villain!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Friendswood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheer coach Heidi Hewitt (Jan '12) 2 hr concernedinlctx 2
chirpractor (Mar '12) Dec 19 Anonymous 17
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Cervelle Homes - Sedona (Feb '11) Dec 17 American Manager 65
Review: Windshield Replacement Repair Dec 15 Michael2327 1
William Fitzpatrick charged with failing to ren... Dec 9 wtf friendswood 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752

Friendswood News Video

Friendswood Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Friendswood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Friendswood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Friendswood

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:46 pm PST