Baby sand dollars clone themselves wh...

Baby sand dollars clone themselves when they sense danger | Seattle Times Newspaper

There are 1 comment on the seattletimes.nwsource.com story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Baby sand dollars clone themselves when they sense danger | Seattle Times Newspaper. In it, seattletimes.nwsource.com reports that:

The odds of growing up aren't good for baby sand dollars. Smaller than the head of a pin, the larvae drift in the ocean easy prey for anything with a mouth. But a University of Washington graduate student has discovered the tiny animal has a surprising survival strategy: Faced with the threat of being gobbled up, it makes like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies and clones itself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at seattletimes.nwsource.com.

Since: Feb 08

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Mar 14, 2008
This is so cool. I love picking up sand dollars on the beach (and throw the live ones back into the waves). The sand dollar display at the Interpretive Center is really interesting, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Friday Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 2 hr Wondering 76
News 'Daughters of the Samurai': between Japan and A... 21 hr Ainu 19
Friday Harbor Music Selection (Aug '12) Mon Musikologist 20
News Lesser Known Islands of the USA: San Juan Islan... (May '14) May '14 karen allen 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Washington... (Oct '10) Jul '13 Michael Monson 5
Review: Tia's Tacos (Jun '13) Jun '13 Mia Felton 1
News Sea Shepherd conservation organization convicte... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Dr Frank Scarpati 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Friday Harbor Mortgages