Baby sand dollars clone themselves when they sense danger | Seattle Times Newspaper

Mar 14, 2008 Full story: seattletimes.nwsource.com
The odds of growing up aren't good for baby sand dollars. Smaller than the head of a pin, the larvae drift in the ocean easy prey for anything with a mouth. But a University of Washington graduate student has discovered the tiny animal has a surprising survival strategy: Faced with the threat of being gobbled up, it makes like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies and clones itself. Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Mar 14, 2008
This is so cool. I love picking up sand dollars on the beach (and throw the live ones back into the waves). The sand dollar display at the Interpretive Center is really interesting, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Friday Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allah is Satan. Islam is the devils religion. 41 min Lilly1234 2
Reasons Why Washington State Sucks - Post Them ... (Apr '12) 2 hr Arexusthedino 295
Free Scotland 7 hr Petal Power 2
The bums of Seattle are the most aggressive I'v... (Dec '11) 7 hr Petal Power 27
Obama vows to act alone, taunts Republicans 10 hr Gig 15
Seahawks 10 hr Gig 2
Seattle Celebrates Violent Football with Violen... 10 hr Gig 2
•••

Friday Harbor News Video

•••
Friday Harbor Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Friday Harbor Jobs

•••