Cancer cluster extends across region

Cancer cluster extends across region

There are 22 comments on the Port Clinton News Herald story from May 31, 2009, titled Cancer cluster extends across region. In it, Port Clinton News Herald reports that:

FREMONT -- The Clyde childhood cancer cluster appears to be part of a regional set of cases that includes parts of Ottawa and Erie counties, a health official said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Port Clinton News Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jun 11, 2009
The Ohio Department of Health is dragging it's feet in the Clyde/Green Springs cancer cluster investigation. After residents reported the high number of children with cancer, government agencies should have researched the previous land-use of the schools that the children attended. Cancer clusters have been reported at many schools across the country that were built on top of closed dumps containing carcinogenic chemicals. Why hasn't the Ohio Department of Health revealed the previous land-use of Clyde/Green Springs schools? Is it a cover-up?

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#2 Jul 12, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
The Ohio Department of Health is dragging it's feet in the Clyde/Green Springs cancer cluster investigation. After residents reported the high number of children with cancer, government agencies should have researched the previous land-use of the schools that the children attended. Cancer clusters have been reported at many schools across the country that were built on top of closed dumps containing carcinogenic chemicals. Why hasn't the Ohio Department of Health revealed the previous land-use of Clyde/Green Springs schools? Is it a cover-up?
McPherson middle school used to be the Clyde
High School built in 1938. The site used to
be the old union school built in the 1800s.

Next door the Vine Street school used to be
the fireproof Clyde High School built in the
1920s.

South Main School used to be a fair grounds.

The Green Springs schools are also on old
school grounds.

You keep bring up old dumps. They are there--
but not under the school sites.
Toledo_Girl

Toledo, OH

#3 Jul 12, 2009
My prayers go out to all the families who are suffering due to this cancer cluster.
I have been doing some research into the enviroment in Clyde and going back to the 60's til present time here is some of the information I found along with some questions I have to further my research. Did the parents of these children with cancer did they ever work in the same place or area? I ask only because my father worked at PRE-FINISHED METALS which is now called MSC WALBRIDGE COATINGS, he was exposed to chemicals such as methyl ethyl ketone and other chemicals and when he would come home from work me and my brother would get nose bleeds just from the left over chemicals on his clothing. As far as Vickery Enviromental goes there is much information that shows how corrupt this site is. Lawsuits brought against the company were those arising from the discovery in March 1983 that WMI's oil-waste landfill in Vickery, Ohio, contained 135,000 gallons of material contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). A former employee at Vickery charged that he was fired for refusing to falsify test results. Though the suits were settled the incident was only one of many similar controversies. In the two years following the Ohio incident, WMI faced suits alleging illegal dumping in at least six states, and several competitors brought actions complaining of monopolistic practices.WMI has been a defendent in 15 major litigations. Also I read somewhere that if they claim that they have buried toxins deep and sealed them that the chemicals may errode thru the seals or the matter in the earth. Im not saying that Vickory Enviromental is what has caused this its just an opinion. There are many other enviromental hazards in and around Clyde. Did these kids go to the same school? I know the teachers were not affected with the cancer however teachers usally dont drink from the drinking fountain, so I was wondering if any of the cases where in the same school? Do you know where Clyde gets its misquitoe spray from? Is there a company called Tru Green or Chem Lawn? And Also one last question does anyone know a person or a company with the name Einsein? Im going to do as much research as I can...Im only a legal asst. and Im currently not employed with a law firm but this story of these children has me wondering what is going on in your area down there. I hope that you guys will get some answers soon. This is not right and no matter what it takes someone needs to be held responsible for what has occured to your families. I will contine to pray for you and your families and communities. I will check back to this site to see if anyone read this and if anyone could please give me some information. God Bless You!!!
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jul 17, 2009
Hey Toledo Girl, I've also been looking for answers. Maybe we can work together. Although Vickery is a very toxic place, it is some distance from both Clyde and Green Springs. Based on what I've found so far, I feel that chemicals from multiple dumpsites in Clyde and Green Springs are more likely to have caused the cancers. You mentioned being interested in knowing the schools the children attended. I'm also looking into that because I know of many schools on or next to closed dumps. The area around Green Springs Elementary School looks suspect. Any locals available to do a title search of the school and surrounding area to find out how the land was used?
Toledo_Girl

Toledo, OH

#6 Jul 17, 2009
The figures that were shown in my above post is for 1999-2003...It also stated that the Water Treatment Plant was in violation of not giving the public information about the drinking water contaminents. I have done hours and hours of reading thru documents and the information that I found in my above post is just a sample of what found. I think that there maybe some fowl play involved here but I cant say for sure. It is my understanding that the EPA knew that Racoon Creek was and is polluted. This is what I found about the court case for that:

The proposed Consent Decree concerns injunctive relief and civil penalties against the City of Clyde, Ohio (``Clyde''), for alleged violations of the Clean Water Act (``the Act''), 33 U.S.C. 1251 et seq. Clyde owns and operates a publicly-owned wastewater treatment works (``POTW''), and the proposed Consent Decree addresses discharges of effluent from the POTW through an outfall into Raccoon Creek, a navigable water of the United States. It also resolves allegations that Clyde violated its 1994, 1997 and 2002 National Pollutant Discharge and Elimination System (``NPDES'') permits and Section 301 of the Act, 33 U.S.C. 1311, by:(1) Exceeding the effluent limitations contained in the three NPDES permits (or ``the three permits''),(2) failing to comply with the monitoring requirements contained in the three NPDES permits,(3) failing to meet the compliance schedules contained in the NPDES permits, and (4) failing to comply with an EPA issued Administrative Order.

I know also the laws in Clyde state you are not alllowed to swim in the Creek.

As far as the Clyde Dump is concerned it is listed under Ohio Superfund Sites as this:
CLYDE DUMP, STATE RTE 510 OHD980905251
It also posts some information about it. I assume that someone knew this was a hazard since its listed on the Superfund site...if they did anything about it that Im not sure. But they obviously knew it needed to be cleaned up and if they did nothing to clean it up then shame on them for putting people at risk.

I will do some more research and reading and check back here tomorrow.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 18, 2009
Treatment plants are often put on sites that are already contaminated. As I said, I am more concerned about the old Clyde Dump because the toxins were there before the treatment plant and they remain in the landfill, continuing to contaminate the groundwater and Raccoon Creek. Locals mentioned on this forum some time ago that Raccoon Creek flows north and Clyde's drinking water is drawn a distance to the south of the treatment plant.
I'm spending very little time researching broken laws, organized crime, legal manuevering or government coverups while investigating Clyde or Green Springs because that's pretty much standand procedure on many of the sites I've worked on. I'm looking for the long forgotten dumps, hoping to help find what's causing the childhood cancers. The old Clyde Dump is just one of several landfills in Clyde. Another is Whirlpool Sludge Disposal Site at Maple Street and Spade Road. If anyone knows of other dumpsites, please post names and locations and I'll add them to the map I'm compiling.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jul 18, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep bringing up old dumps. They are there--
but not under the school sites.
Where are the old dumps located that you know about?

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#9 Jul 18, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the old dumps located that you know about?
There was one on the south side of the old
Nickel Plate tracks on Route 101 South. It
is now Norfolk Southern -- which runs out of
Bellevue, southside of Green Springs, and into
Fostoria.

There is a sign there saying the place is
closed.

I do remember the semi tractors hauling
goo out of whirlpool, down woodland ave,
and west on green springs road, to a site
just north of what used to be fruit orchards.

You can see the site on Google earth.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jul 18, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
There was one on the south side of the old
Nickel Plate tracks on Route 101 South.
Was the dump on both sides of Route 101? Do you know the approximate size?
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
I do remember the semi tractors hauling
goo out of whirlpool, down woodland ave,
and west on green springs road, to a site
just north of what used to be fruit orchards.
You can see the site on Google earth.
I wasn't able to find Green Springs Rd on a map of Clyde. Was there a street name change or am I just not finding it on the map?

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#11 Jul 18, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
<quoted text>
Was the dump on both sides of Route 101? Do you know the approximate size?
<quoted text>
I wasn't able to find Green Springs Rd on a map of Clyde. Was there a street name change or am I just not finding it on the map?
Dump was on the east side, on the south
side of the tracks. You could pull your
trailer in on a dirt lane which cirled
about a small pond. Around that pond
were piles of tin cans and other debris.

'Green Springs Road' is local usage.
Today it is Maple Street, part of
Limerick Road, and veers southward,
just past Spayde Road. It is that
small part of Limerick Road, between
Maple and spayde, where the trucks used to
turn north on a farm lane and dump in
an open area between woodlots.

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#12 Jul 18, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
about a small pond. Around that pond
were piles of tin cans and other debris.
'Green Springs Road' is local usage.
Today it is Maple Street, part of
Limerick Road, and veers southward,
just past Spayde Road. It is that
small part of Limerick Road, between
Maple and spayde, where the trucks used to
turn north on a farm lane and dump in
an open area between woodlots.
The Whirlpool Corporation Dump Site,
circa 1965

On Google Maps http://maps.google.com/maps... just west of clyde, in the
block formed by Spayde, Dewey, Woodland,
Maple, Limerick. Near the center of that
block is a rectangular field -- looks like
someone is keeping it mowed A circular
area in the middle, with a path running
tangent to that circle and diagonal to
the rectangular field. It is just south
of the crest of a sand dune line --- the
old shore of a much larger Lake Erie, which
would be prehistoric.
South of that ridge the drainage runs
eastward towards Raccoon Creek. North of
that ridge, the drainage runs northward,
directly towards Sandusky Bay, about 12
miles to the north.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
about a small pond.
Thank you, I found the dumpsite. An old topo map shows the pond you refer to, and an aerial shows it has been filled. Do you know who owned the property when it was a dump and what years the pond was filled?
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jul 18, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
The Whirlpool Corporation Dump Site,
circa 1965
On Google Maps http://maps.google.com/maps... just west of clyde, in the
block formed by Spayde, Dewey, Woodland,
Maple, Limerick. Near the center of that
block is a rectangular field -- looks like
someone is keeping it mowed A circular
area in the middle, with a path running
tangent to that circle and diagonal to
the rectangular field. It is just south
of the crest of a sand dune line --- the
old shore of a much larger Lake Erie, which
would be prehistoric.
South of that ridge the drainage runs
eastward towards Raccoon Creek. North of
that ridge, the drainage runs northward,
directly towards Sandusky Bay, about 12
miles to the north.
I found the area thanks to your spendid instructions. Is the rectangular field with the circle in the middle where the dump was located? Do you know if that circle and diagonal area is used for something?

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#15 Jul 19, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
<quoted text>
I found the area thanks to your spendid instructions. Is the rectangular field with the circle in the middle where the dump was located? Do you know if that circle and diagonal area is used for something?
I was a kid. There has been a chain link
fence around the site for at least the last
30 years. Yesterday was the first time
I ever noticed the circle and paths.

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#16 Jul 19, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, I found the dumpsite. An old topo map shows the pond you refer to, and an aerial shows it has been filled. Do you know who owned the property when it was a dump and what years the pond was filled?
I was a kid. I don't know who owned the
property. I think I remember a man standing
in a booth, collecting money, at the gate.

It was years ago.

Clyde Paint Company was located on Mulberry
Street, next to raccoon creek on the east
and south.

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#17 Jul 19, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
Re Whirlpool Toxic Waste Dump

As I stated, the site is just south of
a ridge line. You can see a diagonal
from wsw to ene across the block. north
of that ridge it is table-top flat
all the way to the lake.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Jul 19, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a kid. I don't know who owned the
property. I think I remember a man standing
in a booth, collecting money, at the gate.
It was years ago.
Clyde Paint Company was located on Mulberry
Street, next to raccoon creek on the east
and south.
The pond looked pretty small on the topo map from 1970s. The area around it could have already been filled in years before. How large do you think the dumping area was?
Thank you for clearing up where the Clyde Paint Company was located. EPA Superfund listed their address as 435 West Mulberry. I couldn't find a West Mulberry, only North and South.
PITSfounder

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jul 19, 2009
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think the circle and paths are used for? Are they located where the dump used to be?

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#20 Jul 19, 2009
PITSfounder wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think the circle and paths are used for? Are they located where the dump used to be?
I wouldn't know. The picture was news to me.

I just happen to know the location.
Toledo_Girl

Toledo, OH

#21 Jul 19, 2009
If you read the other files there is a guy who posted he lived by the site and Whirlpool dumped there and he climbed under the fence when he was a child and saw huge cincrete wells under there. Also someone states that "The Lubrizol corporation was deemed responsible for clean up by the EPA, which consisted of putting plastic over the lagoons hauling in fresh soil and planting trees. In the past any trees planted there have died".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fremont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheryl Curless works at the Moose in Clyde! Aug 12 Charlie 2
Oak Harbor Jukebox (Jul '12) Aug 5 Musikologist 14
kenneth Morgan Jul '16 jim 1
kevin smith Apr '16 frustrated 2
News Isaman, William D. (May '13) Dec '15 Josh Jones 2
Club Rog (Jan '15) Sep '15 jimbob 2
News Fremont woman charged for dragging donkey (Aug '12) Sep '15 Hangtheidiotshigh 4

Fremont Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fremont Mortgages