Pedestrian killed in Freeport accident

Pedestrian killed in Freeport accident

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 20, 2007, titled Pedestrian killed in Freeport accident. In it, Newsday reports that:

A pedestrian crossing Sunrise Highway in Freeport was struck and killed by a car Wednesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Idiot Stick

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Dec 20, 2007
So many of the pedestrians are wearing dark colors and walking in the road. In my own housing tract there are no sidewalks so you have to be very careful of joggers who for the most part wear dark clothing too. My mother in law's street has no sidewalks or street lights, it's just not the place to pick for a late night walk
so right

Covington, GA

#2 Dec 20, 2007
just don't do it, unless where your from has no roads and never heard of sidewalks
Im Sorry

Arlington, TX

#6 Dec 20, 2007
how can you say that (joe mammie).
What if that was your father, uncle, or brother... Horray !!! I doubt you would be saying that. Limit your words! Well, abviously you had to be from jersey dumb idiot.
Nick

New York, NY

#7 Dec 20, 2007
So sad to happen, especially during this time of the year.
TEE

Rockville, MD

#8 Dec 20, 2007
Didn't this happen TUESDAY nite??
end the hate

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Dec 20, 2007
stupid racists.
number 2 is number 1

Dumont, NJ

#11 Dec 20, 2007
I drive thru Freeport in my daily commute --- I switch off between Merrick Rd & Sunrise Hwy (both suck). Nowhere else on this island do the pedestrians have less regard for their own lives. Sometimes they look up at me and, I swear, in their eyes is "hit me, I need the money".

Since: Oct 07

New York, NY

#12 Dec 20, 2007
god rest his soul
Miranda

New York, NY

#13 Dec 20, 2007
I'm amazed at some of these hateful comments. These are obviously comments made by people who have had sheltered lives, and nothing as horrible as this happen to them.
Lets see you make these comments out loud in a room full of assorted cultures.
Cohiba

East Hampton, NY

#14 Dec 20, 2007
number 2 is number 1 wrote:
I drive thru Freeport in my daily commute --- I switch off between Merrick Rd & Sunrise Hwy (both suck). Nowhere else on this island do the pedestrians have less regard for their own lives. Sometimes they look up at me and, I swear, in their eyes is "hit me, I need the money".
I would have to agree 100%. My commute takes me the same way, and I can't count how many times there is a pedestrian standing on the median when it's dark out, wearing dark colors. You really don't see them until you're basically right next to them. And there is ALWAYS someone crossing Sunrise Hwy along this stretch.
Colocha

Arlington, TX

#15 Dec 20, 2007
As far as I know there are many ppl out there living on SS and for your info plenty of white ppl collecting SS and also living on Section 8. Who cares what hes life style was or how he was surviving. Its sad how this person passed away. PEOPLE stop being so ugly. Like I said before what if this was your dad, brother...etc. And about the driving in Freeport... I lived in Freeport all my life and can agree about the traffic all around sunrise hwy and merrick road. This would help...."DRIVE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY", its not a "PARKWAY" that you can go 60-70 mph.
LI Roads

Bronx, NY

#16 Dec 20, 2007
First, if streetlighting is a problem, this needs to be investigated.

Second, it is not easy to cross Sunrise Hwy. This road was suppose to be an expressway with service roads as in Suffolk County. However, this never happened, so someone lost their life again crossing expressway traffic volumes on grade level roads! The only way we can do this now and minimize property acquisitions is to build an elevated viaduct through Nassau.

Thrid, busy intersections should be equipped with right turn islands to allow pedestrians to cross the right turning traffic, wait on the island, and then when the light turns green, cross the street with the thru traffic. The biggest conflict to pedestrians is turning traffic. As a result, this leads to crossing against the signal.

People need to stop designing roads based on textbooks, and design them to accomodate the practicalities of driving and crossing a busy highway.
jackie

Stamford, CT

#17 Dec 20, 2007
for your information it was a night walk he was going to visit his mother.
jackie

Stamford, CT

#18 Dec 20, 2007
gmr wrote:
<quoted text>
OK One less person collecting SS benefits!!!!
u people dont have a heart and dont think that the things u say dont hurt us but u better hope that this doesnt happen to anyone in your family because then u will feel our pain.
Chyna W

Bayport, NY

#19 Dec 21, 2007
If the driving was black he would have been locked up quick fast.
end the hate

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Dec 21, 2007
Miranda wrote:
I'm amazed at some of these hateful comments. These are obviously comments made by people who have had sheltered lives, and nothing as horrible as this happen to them.
Lets see you make these comments out loud in a room full of assorted cultures.
ofcourse they wouldnt. thats the magic of topix; you are an annonomous person and no one knows who you are but i dare these white people to say some stupid sht to a hispanics face and see just how far they make it.
end the hate

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Dec 21, 2007
i also cross that street all the time and the people drive so dmn fast. theres been times i almost got hit by cars :-(
Jhonny Sanchez

Rockaway, NJ

#22 Dec 21, 2007
Yes that intersection is dangerous. I live in Freeport for 3 years after coming from El Salvador. In El Salvador there are no traffic lights and this types of accidents happens alot. However, this is very bad experience in Freeport and God rest the mans soul and family.
Son-in-law

Bronx, NY

#23 Dec 22, 2007
The driver of the vehicle is my father-in-law. I can honestly say that he is completely torn. He is a wonderful man with a very respectful job. His driving ability has never been questioned and this was a true accident. He was traveling with the flow of traffic when Mr. Rodriguez stepped into the traffic lane. It was completely unavoidable and a tragic accident.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Mr. Rodriguez. This cannot be an easy time in their lives especially during the holiday season, I only hope that the pain passes swiftly as my father-in-laws will last forever. His spirit has been broken and I hope that he finds the strength to accept that it his not his fault.
Idiot Stick

Elmont, NY

#24 Dec 22, 2007
Colocha wrote:
As far as I know there are many ppl out there living on SS and for your info plenty of white ppl collecting SS and also living on Section 8. Who cares what hes life style was or how he was surviving. Its sad how this person passed away. PEOPLE stop being so ugly. Like I said before what if this was your dad, brother...etc. And about the driving in Freeport... I lived in Freeport all my life and can agree about the traffic all around sunrise hwy and merrick road. This would help...."DRIVE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY", its not a "PARKWAY" that you can go 60-70 mph.
Unfortunately you are just as dead being hit at the speed limit of 55 as you are 60-70 mph. You will never find people driving slowly on Sunrise Highway, it's a highway not a street. Their income means nothing when they are in the roadway. It should be illegal to cross anywhere on sunrise, they should have good public transportation for whoever wants to cross.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Freeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 11 hr Bruser 2,823
Review: Floral Park Dental Care - Michael Lang DDS (Sep '09) Dec 12 Whokneadsyou 40
News Peter King calls Michael Jackson 'child molester' (Jul '09) Dec 10 Spotted Wee 7,376
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Dec 9 Liz 63
Dick and Dora's (Nov '09) Dec 8 Val in Az 71
Old Freeport Hospital (Oct '14) Oct '17 Nancy 22
Review: Cycle Concepts Of New York (Jul '14) Oct '17 Dik 2

Freeport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Freeport Mortgages