NY State Worker

Fredonia, NY

#1 May 10, 2010
I'm getting furloughed next week. It won't be easy. But it won't be devastating to my family like for many of my co-workers. Some families are losing their mortgage $.
Frustrated

Jamestown, NY

#2 May 10, 2010
I am sorry that people are loosing $$ in their paychecks...but the reality is NY is in a ton of financial trouble and we just keep spending and spending. We have the fastest decling population. Our tax base is shrinking. Maybe we need to seriously look at trimming the fat
ABC

Dunkirk, NY

#3 May 10, 2010
NY State Worker wrote:
I'm getting furloughed next week. It won't be easy. But it won't be devastating to my family like for many of my co-workers. Some families are losing their mortgage $.
Sorry to hear that. Hope that all goes well for you and your family. Will say a prayer.
Curious

Buffalo, NY

#4 May 11, 2010
Those furloughs would be a whole lot more palitable if they included any of the actual government emplyees, legislative aides and the like. As Curly of The Three Stooges used to say, "What a Maroon!"
ACU

Fredonia, NY

#5 May 11, 2010
I also will be feeling the effects of the regime. It is truly amazing how much the state pisses away w/o even realizing it. No visible system of checks and balances. I do not see the legislators taking a 20% hit, even though they do not work 5 days and please don't give me the yarn about it being a 24 hr a day job please. The $$ wasted in the SUNY system is also sinful Go to see through NY and look at some of the salaries $225,000+ for a "distinguished lecturer" I almost fainted If NY would take a good look inside and see all the waste first before layoffs it would be a somewhat easier pill to swallow
yesindeed

Fredonia, NY

#6 May 11, 2010
they should furlough the welfare, that would save the State Billions
joe white

Fredonia, NY

#7 May 12, 2010
i say furlough the toll takers on the thruway for a couple of days a week.
lll

Fredonia, NY

#8 May 12, 2010
Cut back on Welfare bennies 20% Do not pay people to breed and continue generations of people who do no want to or know how to work.
worst gov ever

Fredonia, NY

#9 May 12, 2010
Welfare workers are not being furloughed. They are on the essential worker list. The governor gave his own staff substantial raises ($5k-$13K) this week. Awesome timing!

He's not laying off the high salary workers, just the lowest paid state workers - the ones who actually do work and keep things functional.
Skippy

Fredonia, NY

#10 May 12, 2010
A. These furloughs will not stand. The courts will overturn them and the workers will get paid with interest. That doesn't help in the short term, I know.

B. The libs who run this state are tax and spend, tax and spend. Its time to get some fiscal conservatives running things in this state.
FPOJ

Horseheads, NY

#11 May 12, 2010
NY State Worker wrote:
I know no matter what this comes out to sound like I will be billed to be the bad guy. When you got your job with the state were you guaranteed not to work full-time every week? Did you take for granted because you work for the state that you would work at least 40 hours every week no matter what? The state has to be run like a business because altimately that's what it is. When a business is doing bad layoffs have to happen to help achieve comapny standards. Now it goes with the state workers. That is what has to happen. I am sure if you were a state worker and offered overtime in the past you didn't say no I can't do it I am worried about the money out of the taxpayers pocketbook. Now you all have some time to spend with your kids and family. Take the positive approach. If you were one of the ones who have lived beyond your means and letting overtime take a role in your spending then shame on you.
Daughter

Waterloo, Canada

#12 May 13, 2010
NYS needs to get their priority's straight. The fat can be trimmed elsewhere. if you look at the money being spent on non essentials it will turn your stomach. How about eliminating cell phones provided to individuals who aren't 'out in the field. Eliminate chauffeurs who cart the executives to and from press events and meetings. While they're at it-how about flying coach in stead of first class?
If this sticks it is going to bite the state in the ass. These families will be forced to turn to public assistance which will increase the monies being spent. As it is now-depending on family size some are already income qualifying for assistance. Foreclosures are already at an all time high. This is already costing the tax payers.
How about re allocating some of the lottery money the state makes?
This needs to be evaluated at a federal level. The funding allocated does have terms written indicating how the funds are to be spent. While some allow for salary I highly doubt the fringe some of the high level employees receive would be considered acceptable when we are in the state we are in. ALSO how many states don't have state income tax and they don't have a deficit like NYS.
freddy

Fredonia, NY

#13 May 13, 2010
FPOJ wrote:
<quoted text>I know no matter what this comes out to sound like I will be billed to be the bad guy. When you got your job with the state were you guaranteed not to work full-time every week? Did you take for granted because you work for the state that you would work at least 40 hours every week no matter what? The state has to be run like a business because altimately that's what it is. When a business is doing bad layoffs have to happen to help achieve comapny standards. Now it goes with the state workers. That is what has to happen. I am sure if you were a state worker and offered overtime in the past you didn't say no I can't do it I am worried about the money out of the taxpayers pocketbook. Now you all have some time to spend with your kids and family. Take the positive approach. If you were one of the ones who have lived beyond your means and letting overtime take a role in your spending then shame on you.
I work for the state. MY CONTRACT STATES THAT I WILL WORK 'X' AMOUNT OF DOLLARS FOR 'X' AMOUNT OF PAY. That is why I took this job, a contract is a guarantee. As far as overtime goes? I often work 60 hour weeks during our busy season and I NEVER receive overtime. I live paycheck to paycheck like the rest of my co-workers. To cut 20% of my already meager paycheck would not mean that I couldn't continue to "live beyond my means", it means that I no longer make enough money to pay my student loans, rent, gas and car payment. Period. You clearly do not know the type of people that these furloughs would ultimately affect and how devastating these could be. You obviously are not affected by them so please, keep your mouth shut. If, heaven forbid, your employer suddenly told you that you would be making TWENTY PERCENT less WITH LESS THAN ONE WEEKS NOTICE I think you'd look at this situation a lot differently.
freddy

Fredonia, NY

#14 May 13, 2010
*'X' amount of HOURS, excuse me.
Forestville hick

Jamestown, NY

#15 May 13, 2010
other peoples been laid on an off fer years, me at alumax, nobody gave a sh#t now that yous being laid off its a big deal, deal wit it.
freddy

Fredonia, NY

#16 May 14, 2010
I don't expect people who are not affected to honestly care too much, I get that. But I have to imagine that you would also fight like hell if you thought you had a chance of stopping an incredible pay reduction, which is exactly what happened.
joke

Lakewood, NY

#17 Jul 23, 2010
i also work at the state and im only gonna say this ill give my 4% raise back when the upper end gives back thier 14%raise and when patterson gives back his $50,000.00 bonus im all for fat trimming but who decides where to trim?ill give ya a hint its the people in government that got the raises and talk shit about ours
joe white

Fredonia, NY

#18 Jul 23, 2010
freddy wrote:
I don't expect people who are not affected to honestly care too much, I get that. But I have to imagine that you would also fight like hell if you thought you had a chance of stopping an incredible pay reduction, which is exactly what happened.
i care freddy but the public service unions refuse to give one inch while the the private sector service unions are willing to give a little to stop the furlough threat. thats all i have to say and i wish you well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Matteson (Sep '16) 12 min John Z 18
Music at the pier Thu MAK 5
Farmers Market Jun 20 Fredonian 11
Whose Pet Turkey...? Jun 20 Fredonian 4
Cash For Cans, dosen't deserve to be in business (Nov '14) Jun 20 Jessica 23
Max D Thompson Jun 20 Dk OG 9
Women staying with drug dealers Jun 20 Ohboo 5

Fredonia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance