Fredonia School Salaries

Posted in the Fredonia Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Fred_Resident

Angelica, NY

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Does it bother anyone that gym teachers are among the highest paid individuals, not the teachers? Granted these stats are from 2008 (source: seethroughny[dot]net/StatePayr oll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRAN CHID=6)

Alex Conti--$85,233
Mark Fitzgerald--$87,854

Heck, the Business Administrator, John Forbes 'only' makes $81,424 a year..
chubby

United States

#2 Jan 13, 2011
Sounds like someone's jealoous. Or was fired. I love the money they make. It is 2011 they actually make more now!!!!
Bullshoot

Buffalo, NY

#3 Jan 13, 2011
Chubby..when taxpayers complain about things like this, it isn't jealousy, it's rage!! It is and always has been a ridiculous scenerio that requires Gym Teachers to be paid the same as any other teacher, and even that the requirements are more than a sports background and maybe an Associate's Degree. It's just as stupid that art and music teachers get paid the same as Math and Science teachers. The bottom line is this, that all school employees are making more than those paying their salaries through taxes can afford!!! When the layoffs come and the schools start to close and classroom sizes increase, we'll see how happy you are then, Mr./Mrs Teacher.
Beggin strips are yummy

Dunkirk, NY

#4 Jan 13, 2011
The seethroughny website is very informative. Find out how much your teachers, cops, and goverment employees actually make. It will make you a much more informed blogger....
chubby

United States

#5 Jan 13, 2011
Bullshoot. I'm not a teacher and I don't think it matters if ur gym teacher or math teacher both work same hours and days. I just don't think 80k is that much for peps with higher education. And I pay school taxes with a smile knowing my children get the best education and exercise in gym class.!!!
Bullfeathers

Buffalo, NY

#6 Jan 13, 2011
Which one of the Conti's is this? Alex or the one with the dead pig?
ButtlebeeTuna

Westfield, NY

#7 Jan 13, 2011
I don't care about all the training and college required to become a teacher that invokes this $80,000+ salary. With the current state deficit being over $9 Billion, they need a pay cut.

Just to put things in perspective; I've heard several times when people are referring to the poverty stricken how janitors make $25-$30,000 a year and quite frankly, whoever pulled this number out of there ass not realizing that the poverty level is $15,000, needs to lose their job and see just how much a janitor really makes!

I'm a full-time cook with a decent wage and unless I work a load of overtime I don't make $25,000! Cut the teacher's salary!
snowflake

Dunkirk, NY

#8 Jan 14, 2011
The poverty level is $15,000 isn't that what the administrator in Westfield got last year just for excess travel pay. And then there was the $5,300 in false vacation time pay, and then all the extras fraud. Heck he might have cheated his way past $25,000
Give me a break

Fredonia, NY

#9 Jan 14, 2011
Perhaps the those certain teachers are making more money because they also run sports programs outside of their regular duties?

I think both of those teachers have been around since when I was in school - meaning- they must be some sort of reliable.

Search back in the Observer a few days to the Dunkirk school teacher who was recently sentenced. I pay Fredonia taxes - I would rather pay more to retain excellent teachers than pay less for less than worthy ones.

Lets all keep bitching and complaining about teachers salaries- why dont we just reform education and quit requiring teachers to have degrees? Heck, lets just go back to when school was optional. That will surely give us an edge against foreign competition!
GetALife

Fredonia, NY

#10 Jan 14, 2011
Give me a break wrote:
Perhaps the those certain teachers are making more money because they also run sports programs outside of their regular duties?
I think both of those teachers have been around since when I was in school - meaning- they must be some sort of reliable.
Search back in the Observer a few days to the Dunkirk school teacher who was recently sentenced. I pay Fredonia taxes - I would rather pay more to retain excellent teachers than pay less for less than worthy ones.
Lets all keep bitching and complaining about teachers salaries- why dont we just reform education and quit requiring teachers to have degrees? Heck, lets just go back to when school was optional. That will surely give us an edge against foreign competition!
Great point! Quit requiring teachers to have degrees! Could you imagine? And I Agree! Retain those quality teachers who, in many cases, spend more time with our children than we do!! Keep in mind that those degrees came with a large investment of both time and money!! One thing people fail to realize is that their job does not "end" when they walk out of the classroom -- they are grading papers, preparing tests and working on lesson plans from home. So when you calculate their "traditional" work day -- it exceeds your average 8/hr a day, 5 days a week. Let's not forget the multitude of personalities in the classroom -- the various learning styles and the need to adapt to each. People who have no knowledge of the daily life of a teacher are not equipped to determine what pay is adequate!!! There is a reason why NY State has an excellent reputation for their educational system. I would rather ensure the quality of my children's education and "cut" those who are getting free-bee benefits and riding the system!
FredMom

Fredonia, NY

#11 Jan 14, 2011
Alex is not just a "gym teacher" he is a coach and mentor to many! He's been with my son more these days than I have and I'm not the least bit concerned about my sons well being or who is influencing him. Of all of the salaries on that website, why is it just Alex and Mark being referred to? Have you even stepped foot in that school to see what they do? Mark stands outside every single day greeting every single kid and puts their safety above all else. With all of the crazy people who enter the teaching profession to have access to children (Dunkirk teacher, for example), I will GLADLY pay for my children to be safe and happy when they're at school. Truth is you have to pay for the best!!
PeopleAreStupid

Fredonia, NY

#12 Jan 14, 2011
ButtlebeeTuna wrote:
I don't care about all the training and college required to become a teacher that invokes this $80,000+ salary. With the current state deficit being over $9 Billion, they need a pay cut.
Just to put things in perspective; I've heard several times when people are referring to the poverty stricken how janitors make $25-$30,000 a year and quite frankly, whoever pulled this number out of there ass not realizing that the poverty level is $15,000, needs to lose their job and see just how much a janitor really makes!
I'm a full-time cook with a decent wage and unless I work a load of overtime I don't make $25,000! Cut the teacher's salary!
Mr.Full-time cook: did you graduate from high school? Did you go for formal culinary training? How does your employment history read? In and out of jobs? Got hurt, didn't have a car? Girlfriend got pregnant? Blah Blah Blah

It takes 25 to 30 years for a teacher to make $80,000. Today's new teachers spent at least $80,000 for their education. What did you spend? My husband's first "teaching" job was $9,600. He spent more than that on his education! Today's problem children have been born to problem parents. You don't get everyday life decisions and you expect teachers to put up with your inability to grasp common-sense, respectful, "normal" behavior which your children are obviously mimicking.
Seriously

Fredonia, NY

#13 Jan 14, 2011
first of all before people go shooting their mouths off know what u are talking about! coaching a sport a coach makes 5,000.00 or more depending on how much they go into the season. Anything past county championships, they get paid more. BOTH of these men coach sectional / state qualifier athletes. So, Alex coaches 3 sports - right there thats an additional 15,000.00 added to his paycheck! So, being JUST a gym teacher doesnt relfect their income. Plsu as stated above, they both are excellent and have been employed for a long time...thats makes a difference.
I know this because I work in the school. Stop talking shit about people, go and get a job/career and be proud of your work. Then maybe you can receive more than minimum wage. Jealousy get people NOWHERE!
czur

Fredonia, NY

#14 Jan 14, 2011
PeopleAreStupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr.Full-time cook: did you graduate from high school? Did you go for formal culinary training? How does your employment history read? In and out of jobs? Got hurt, didn't have a car? Girlfriend got pregnant? Blah Blah Blah
It takes 25 to 30 years for a teacher to make $80,000. Today's new teachers spent at least $80,000 for their education. What did you spend? My husband's first "teaching" job was $9,600. He spent more than that on his education! Today's problem children have been born to problem parents. You don't get everyday life decisions and you expect teachers to put up with your inability to grasp common-sense, respectful, "normal" behavior which your children are obviously mimicking.
Face it for 180 days/yr it is a great gig. And yes I HAVE a college degree and am not jealous. eVER SPEAK TO SOME OF THESE educators? Their own Sense of entitlement makes you want to wretch.How much do the best educators in the world ( CHINA, INDIA make)? Just curious
Bullfeathers

Buffalo, NY

#15 Jan 14, 2011
Nice when all of the teachers band together. I wish, at the least, you'd say something original. According to teachers they're all over worked and underpaid. What crap. There are so many bad teachers with tenure it's ridiculous. I could only wish that all teachers were those wonderful dedicated servants you all try to portray yourselves. When high school students are doing poster projects for god's sake, it's no wonder we can't compete with other countries. Teachers always blame the parents. Well, if they spend so much time with our kids, as you say, then I'd guess part of the responsibility is theirs. What crap.
Give me a break

Fredonia, NY

#16 Jan 14, 2011
The general tale of the US - Wanting more for Less.
Where has that gotten us so far? Cars, clothes...we outsource everything.

What do you propose as the next step...sending our kids out of the country in order to get a good education from teachers who are paid accordingly.

We want everything. We want our educators to be more educated, better educated - No longer does a simple Associates, or bachelors do- a Masters is required. Give it some time and we will require PHD's for our kindergarten teachers. At the same time we will be complaining that we want their pay lowered.

Is the better alternative to turn the teaching field into some mocked profession that no person in their right mind wants to enter...then what?

I am not a teacher, nor in the education field. I have children in the public school system. I want my children to have the best, most experienced teachers and reliable teachers. I strongly believe spending more to keep the best teachers within a district is beneficial to the students and the community in the long run.
soo

Fredonia, NY

#17 Jan 14, 2011
Seriously wrote:
first of all before people go shooting their mouths off know what u are talking about! coaching a sport a coach makes 5,000.00 or more depending on how much they go into the season. Anything past county championships, they get paid more. BOTH of these men coach sectional / state qualifier athletes. So, Alex coaches 3 sports - right there thats an additional 15,000.00 added to his paycheck! So, being JUST a gym teacher doesnt relfect their income. Plsu as stated above, they both are excellent and have been employed for a long time...thats makes a difference.
I know this because I work in the school. Stop talking shit about people, go and get a job/career and be proud of your work. Then maybe you can receive more than minimum wage. Jealousy get people NOWHERE!
Hey , that $80,000 is base pay add all the sports stipends and he is close to $100,000
Billie

Fredonia, NY

#18 Jan 14, 2011
How long have these teachers been at Fredonia?
I'm sure they didn't start out making $80k.
They worked up to that salary through contractual raises.
I'm a tax paying parent with kids at FCS and don't have a single problem with these salaries. My children like both of these teachers and enjoy their class. That's enough for me.
If need to bitch about someone's salary, start at the top. DiFonzo's salary disgusts me and he sits on his fat ass all day, running our district into the ground. Cut the fat from the top, not from the bottom, or from the people how are actually EARNING their living.
Reallynow

Buffalo, NY

#19 Jan 14, 2011
Here's the deal: EVERYONE in EVERY profession thinks they are underpaid. Fact: Teachers generally come from the lowest grade point averages in all disciplines in all colleges. True, look it up. Making teachers get higher degrees won't help a thing, but then as pay has risen grades have dropped, so much for that theory as well. NYS, for example, pays more per student than almost everyone else. How do we stack up? Not so well. Most kids entering college need almost a full year of remedial work. So much for the job our schools are doing, and that means the job our teachers are doing. Another fact: If a teacher has a Masters, they do NOT start at the lowest pay level. If they take certain courses, voluntarily I might add, they move up extra steps. It does NOT take 20 years to reach the top, it barely takes half that. I happen to like Alex Conti. But paying any gym teacher the same as a Math or Science teacher makes no sense at all. Worrying about good coaches in our current fiscal climate makes no sense either. Trying to say ALL teachers work hard, ALL teachers are good, ALL teachers do extra work, ALL teachers REALLY care about their kids, ALL teachers earn their pay, just defies the law of averages. I could count on my fingers the amount of truly good teachers I had, and have extra fingers left over. This is just so much more Fredonia elitest crap.
ABC

Dunkirk, NY

#20 Jan 14, 2011
czur wrote:
<quoted text>Face it for 180 days/yr it is a great gig. And yes I HAVE a college degree and am not jealous. eVER SPEAK TO SOME OF THESE educators? Their own Sense of entitlement makes you want to wretch.How much do the best educators in the world ( CHINA, INDIA make)? Just curious
See table 13
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001888/...

these figures are for primary (elementary)
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_pri_tea...

Just remember that most of us are not now, nor will we come close to making the figures of those top few teachers that you all have chosen to focus on. Additionally, until you have come and seen-first hand-what we do and deal with on a daily basis (especially city school teachers) you just don't "get it". Stop lumping all of us teachers together into one label. We are NOT all the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 4 hr NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 4 hr NAVYVET 6,391
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr positronium 6,463
Horvath/Kearns have been in charge of incubator... 7 hr Shorty 22
need 9 hr John D 1
Charity and her threats (Aug '12) 17 hr hillbillyfun 8
Janey Wagner climate change wacko Mon janey 4

Fredonia Jobs

Fredonia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fredonia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fredonia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]