Can a firefighter on disability go to...

Can a firefighter on disability go to calls?

Posted in the Fredonia Forum

veronica

Fredonia, NY

#1 Oct 28, 2010
can a volunteer firefighter that is on disability go on rescue calls? can he do that legitimately and legally? can he hold an office within his company? what if he gets injured on a call? who will take care of his medical bills?
knows

Dansville, NY

#2 Oct 29, 2010
who cares. he is VOLUNTEERING his time. so quit stirring the pot and let the guy help people. you wont be crying about disability if he is the only guy their to save your life
Just Wondering

Fredonia, NY

#3 Oct 30, 2010
veronica wrote:
can a volunteer firefighter that is on disability go on rescue calls? can he do that legitimately and legally? can he hold an office within his company? what if he gets injured on a call? who will take care of his medical bills?
Here we go "Veronica (Tom) Sullivan", why are you throwing stones at someone who is on disability. You are saying that we should discriminate against him and shun him, so what if he holds an office in a company, don't you think people who have medical problems and are on disabled have a right to live a life and be part of their community. You better watch yourself mister you are treading on very thin ice here!!! If he is giving back to his community god bless him. Pay your fines like everyone else and tell your brother he should be ashamed of himself for sticking his nose in the fire department business from the Mayors seat to defend you because you don't want to follow the rules. You say that you are so dedicated so pay your fines and get back to giving to the community or take your shit and GO HOME !!!!!
Wow

Fredonia, NY

#4 Oct 30, 2010
Is there is a way for anyone to find out who Veronica really is ? This statement violates the american disability act. People with disabilities work and volunteer everyday in every Community in every State in this Country. A person on disability can't help on a fire department call or hold an office in the organization ?? Someone in the Fire Dept. needs to print that post for future legal action against "Veronica". As the name says WOW !!!!!
u can

Fredonia, NY

#5 Oct 30, 2010
YES Tom is "Veronica" he does not care who he hurts, he was kicked out of the fire department because he would not pay his fines, but what you all don't know is they have been looking for a reason to kick him out. He is a trouble maker and back stabber. He is very lazy he may show up to calls but does nothing but stand and watch. He REFUSES to help out and fund drive. For everyone giving him all this attention is BS. Mike and Tom are Worthless. As fireman and Fredonia population. Mike as a lawyer is so worthless and Mayor he is a waste of space.
TheFacts

Westfield, NY

#6 Oct 30, 2010
First of all, I'm not involved in any way with the whole fiasco in Fredonia. I am, however,a veteran firefighter with over 25 years of service outside of both Dunkirk and Fredonia. To answer the question, a person on disability CAN hold office in a fire department. They are putting their disability claim in jeopardy if they respond to any type of call. Can they do it? Yes. However most departments will discourage it amd most department attorneys advise against it. If their disability claim was related to their service as a volunteer firefighter, they should absolutely NOT respond, for their own best interest.
yup

Fredonia, NY

#7 Oct 30, 2010
There are a couple of disabled people in FFD, one does hold a office in the company, not a line officer office either, and he does not respond to calls. Tom you are now digging yourself a huge hole, and setting yourself up for a law suit against your self! You need to shut up, the scumbag that you are is now starting to come out!
yup

Fredonia, NY

#8 Oct 30, 2010
To veronica/tom, I contacted one of the persons you might be talking about, they are going to file a complaint with topix against you, and if they find out who you truly are, they will come after you!
jennifer

Belfast, NY

#9 Oct 30, 2010
you can file a complaint & take legal action against someone for asking questions?
yup

Fredonia, NY

#10 Oct 30, 2010
jennifer wrote:
you can file a complaint & take legal action against someone for asking questions?
If you know veronica/tom, you would know he is not asking a question, he is just trying to make trouble where it isn't because of his own failures and stupidity, and going after decent people.
Lawyer

Dunkirk, NY

#11 Dec 10, 2010
There's no legal standing to sue "TOM" if he didn't name names. It certainly isn't in violation of ADD law. Even if he DID name names, the damages are minimal and the case would never see court. You people need to quit being so quick to threaten to file suits when your knowledge is obviously limited.
okk

Fredonia, NY

#12 Dec 10, 2010
Lawyer wrote:
There's no legal standing to sue "TOM" if he didn't name names. It certainly isn't in violation of ADD law. Even if he DID name names, the damages are minimal and the case would never see court. You people need to quit being so quick to threaten to file suits when your knowledge is obviously limited.
If you say so. But you can talk to 10 different lawyers (liars) and get 10 different conflicting opinions!
Albert Einstein

Independence, KS

#13 May 18, 2011
Lawyer wrote:
There's no legal standing to sue "TOM" if he didn't name names. It certainly isn't in violation of ADD law. Even if he DID name names, the damages are minimal and the case would never see court. You people need to quit being so quick to threaten to file suits when your knowledge is obviously limited.
If the Firefighter in question is being discriminated against in any way shape or form due to a protected class disability, then they can, and should immediately contact the nearest EEOC office, or go online to the EEOC website and download and fill out the EEOC disability complaint form. Many will be surprised and shocked to learn just how wrong they have been.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#14 May 18, 2011
veronica wrote:
can a volunteer firefighter that is on disability go on rescue calls? can he do that legitimately and legally? can he hold an office within his company? what if he gets injured on a call? who will take care of his medical bills?
First of all, I would suggest to you that you not bother other people. What you give is what you get. I'm entering this information to give people a "basic knowledge" of disability income, because I see a lot of mis-information because of lack of knowledge. I'm in no way, shape, or form taking any sides and I do not know any of these people.

First, lets talk about Social Security/Disability. It generally takes 6 mos. to 2 years to get a claim processed. They will put you through hell, make sure you have proper documentation, and still deny your claim. There are plenty of attorneys that specialize in SSDI..
There are a number of reasons you can become disabled.If you are bi-polar, for example, you are 'emotionally disabled." This has nothing to do with physical capabilities. So, someone who is emotionally disabled can take up bull riding if they so desire.
Physical disability-This comes in various degrees. You can be 50-60-70-80-90% disabled and still be allowed to work(for a paycheck) a percentage of the time. Someone who is collecting 80% disability can still work a day a week at full pay.
Military disability-Also in percentages. You can be 40% disabled and still hold down a full time job, depending on the reason you were disabled.
Private disability income insurance-Marketed by many companies. These policies are broken down basically into two types, listed below.

ANY OCC-stands for any occupation. If you have this type of policy and you become disabled, regardless of your occupation,in order to claim, you must be able to not preform "any occupation". So, if you are a surgeon and you develop a disorder that causes your hands to shake and you can't preform your occupation, but you can be a greeter at Walmart, the policy wont pay.

OWN OCC-stands for "own occupation" If you have this type of policy and become disabled and cannot function in your OWN OCCUPATION, then the policy will pay according to the policy schedule.

Also, keep in mind, it's possible to be "partially disabled" and be allowed to have a mix of disability/work.

People who are collecting 100% disability for physical disability reasons-many times are "watched" by detectives hired by insurance companies to make sure you are really disabled.
Bull Crap

Charles Town, WV

#15 Aug 9, 2014
knows wrote:
who cares. he is VOLUNTEERING his time. so quit stirring the pot and let the guy help people. you wont be crying about disability if he is the only guy their to save your life
When he is your piece of crap son-in-law who does not want to work and is abusing the system them he should not be able!
the mare

Fredonia, NY

#16 Aug 10, 2014
If the person isn't getting paid , it isn't work. Volunteer is just that .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to soccer topic (Apr '14) 4 hr pathetic 42
Chautauqua Opportunities (Oct '09) 4 hr Unfortunate situa... 235
shame on you dunkirk middle school!! 6 hr DMB 10
Does anyone know if there are laws on how many ... 6 hr doglicense 4
Pomfret asked about pursuing noise ordinance (Feb '09) 19 hr Check out Boces 23
music on the pier Thu Goop 13
Fredonia Dog warden May 27 RustyJones 2
More from around the web

Fredonia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]